Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The title race

Read 43157 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3421 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: The title race
      Reply #69: Jan 27, 2021 10:40:03 pm
      This season is pretty fu**ed up, isn't it ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #70: Jan 27, 2021 11:34:46 pm
      This season is pretty fu**ed up, isn't it ?

Pretty much, so can't understand why some are throwing the title away just yet. As Swab mentions, a few more twists to come.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #71: Jan 27, 2021 11:54:48 pm
      Simply try and pick up as many points as possible, starting against Spurs tomorrow night. There is still a fair way to go, the way the title race is going, anything can happen !
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #72: Jan 28, 2021 12:03:00 am
      I would believe we had a chance in the title race if we hadn’t dropped so many points against the worst teams in the league.

Top 4 is still possible though.
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2021 12:19:01 am by HScRed1 »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6740 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #73: Jan 28, 2021 06:09:21 am
      It's gone this season, Utd will prob be 9 pts ahead after tonight's games

That’s the Spirit! 🤦🏾‍♂️
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #74: Jan 28, 2021 06:25:38 am
      Everton Leicester a cracking result for us. City look like they could run away with it on their current form compared with everyone else's off the back of that United defeat at home  to the bottom club. If we can beat Spurs we can consolidate our position. A draw would kick the can down the road for another week and leave us no clearer on top 4 positions. Be nice for Leicester, Spurs and the blue boys to all drop points in a game week where we win.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #75: Jan 28, 2021 08:48:31 am
      Morning all.

Tonight kicks off a massive 2 weeks. A win tonight takes us back to 4 off top, gived us a bit of space from spurs to.

We play all those around us in the next 2 weeks..spurs, west ham city, Leicester and Everton......we can not only close gaps and create gaps but we can add pressure as well.....city and utd going into games knowing we are right there and back in form makes life harder for them.....big 2 weeks, but tonight s massive
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #76: Jan 28, 2021 09:19:46 am
      Ours to
      Lose this...
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #77: Jan 28, 2021 09:54:42 am
      So a win tomorrow leaves us 4 off city and 3 off utd with 18 games left, and to play them both, they play each other also, plus everything in between

But for some its over for us....

If Jürgen wins the league then it will be a bigger achievement than anything he's done before,imagine Bob Paisley(should be Sir Bob)without Hansen and Thompson and playing two centre backs from division 3/4 and a midfield that doesn't hardly score or assist goals,FSG are taking a massive risk not buying a CB expecting Jürgen to work bigger miracles than he has already,as a analogy i would say it's like asking Jürgen to run a marathon with blocks of concrete on his feet.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #78: Jan 28, 2021 10:05:58 am
      Once the European competitions start with all its distractions and our players returning it could be a fruitful second half of the season..
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      Reply #79: Jan 28, 2021 10:21:41 am
      If Jürgen wins the league then it will be a bigger achievement than anything he's done before,imagine Bob Paisley(should be Sir Bob)without Hansen and Thompson and playing two centre backs from division 3/4 and a midfield that doesn't hardly score or assist goals,FSG are taking a massive risk not buying a CB expecting Jürgen to work bigger miracles than he has already,as a analogy i would say it's like asking Jürgen to run a marathon with blocks of concrete on his feet.

The paralells to Bobs 81/82 season should not be overlooked...Bob had a small squad  5 defenders. Had a bad injury list at one point and where way off at the halfway point. They still won it
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #80: Jan 28, 2021 10:32:17 am
      I'm not overlooking anything that Bob achieved.The point i'm making is Bob wouldn't have been left in that position over nearly a season like Jürgen has been with VVD and Gomez out for virtually the whole season and Matip that can't play 3 games a week or even sometimes two consecutive games.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      Reply #81: Jan 28, 2021 11:12:31 am
      I'm not overlooking anything that Bob achieved.The point i'm making is Bob wouldn't have been left in that position over nearly a season like Jürgen has been with VVD and Gomez out for virtually the whole season and Matip that can't play 3 games a week or even sometimes two consecutive games.

i know your not. Im just highlighting that one of the best sides ever had a bad spell similar to what we are in now, but came good
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #82: Jan 28, 2021 11:29:34 am
      i know your not. Im just highlighting that one of the best sides ever had a bad spell similar to what we are in now, but came good

I'm very frustrated with FSG,we should be kicking on from the last two seasons but because of their penny pinching we are going backwards,Jürgen,the team and the fans deserve better.After the 2013-14 season with Brendan we didn't kick on buying Lambert and Balotelli (cheap options) to replace a world class Suarez,this season may define what happens in the future as i don't think our world class players and Jürgen will stick around when the owners are not ambitious.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #83: Jan 28, 2021 12:47:51 pm
      After the 2013-14 season with Brendan we didn't kick on buying Lambert and Balotelli (cheap options) to replace a world class Suarez,this season may define what happens in the future as i don't think our world class players and Jürgen will stick around when the owners are not ambitious.

Don't think we were penny pinching in 2014, I think we just bought absolute sh*te. We were poised to spend 30 odd million on Alexis Sanchez until his Mrs decided she wanted to live in London. Loic Remy was our backup plan and a deal was agreed with him but due to a failed medical the club decided to pull out at the last minute. We then took a leap of faith late in the window and decided to sign Balotelli because most of our other options had been exhausted, but it backfired massively. Don't forget we'd already spent upwards of £100M on the likes of Moreno, Lallana, Lovren, Can & Markovic during this window too.

Have to remember too that at the time, even following a second place finish and qualifying for the CL, we still weren't seen as a dream destination for top players. We couldn't have really went out and signed a world class, top replacement for Suarez
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2021 12:53:26 pm by TameImpala »
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,128 posts | 83 
      Reply #84: Jan 28, 2021 02:31:10 pm
      One good thing: we can focus 100% on CL. I assume that we won't have much trouble to secure a Top4 PL spot since we are surrounded by suspicious teams that will look good for a short while but lose many points eventually. And at least for me a CL win would be bigger than another PL.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #85: Jan 28, 2021 02:31:43 pm
      Don't think we were penny pinching in 2014, I think we just bought absolute sh*te. We were poised to spend 30 odd million on Alexis Sanchez until his Mrs decided she wanted to live in London. Loic Remy was our backup plan and a deal was agreed with him but due to a failed medical the club decided to pull out at the last minute. We then took a leap of faith late in the window and decided to sign Balotelli because most of our other options had been exhausted, but it backfired massively. Don't forget we'd already spent upwards of £100M on the likes of Moreno, Lallana, Lovren, Can & Markovic during this window too.

Have to remember too that at the time, even following a second place finish and qualifying for the CL, we still weren't seen as a dream destination for top players. We couldn't have really went out and signed a world class, top replacement for Suarez

Are you happy having no reliable fit CB's?Jürgen having hardly any net spend then being told there's no money?i believe over the 10 years FSG have been the owners our overall net spend is around 23m per season,FSG loaned the money for the new stand(115m) and built Kirkby (£50m) after selling melwood (10m).i would say they are penny pinchers at this time as Jürgen has made it clear he needs a CB but there is no money in the pot so where has the revenue Jürgen has generated from all the success gone?yes they are losing money due to no fans but surely long term buying a CB now makes sense,as for 2013-14 i was referring to replacing a world class striker with cheap options that didn't fit in with Brendan's system/style.We brought many good players when we weren't in the CL in the past and we don't sign world class players Jürgen's makes good players into world class players.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #86: Jan 28, 2021 03:19:33 pm
      Are you happy having no reliable fit CB's?Jürgen having hardly any net spend then being told there's no money?i believe over the 10 years FSG have been the owners our overall net spend is around 23m per season,FSG loaned the money for the new stand(115m) and built Kirkby (£50m) after selling melwood (10m).i would say they are penny pinchers at this time as Jürgen has made it clear he needs a CB but there is no money in the pot so where has the revenue Jürgen has generated from all the success gone?yes they are losing money due to no fans but surely long term buying a CB now makes sense,as for 2013-14 i was referring to replacing a world class striker with cheap options that didn't fit in with Brendan's system/style.We brought many good players when we weren't in the CL in the past and we don't sign world class players Jürgen's makes good players into world class players.

I agree we should have went out and signed a central defender back in the summer, but to say FSG sign the cheap option is wrong. As I said, in 2014 we were poised to sign Alexis Sanchez but he turned us down because he wanted to move to London after Arsenal made a late bid. It's not as though the grand plan was to to replace Suarez with Balotelli on the cheap, it was a last resort panic buy as deals for better options had fell through. FSG haven't bought cheap, in the past they've bought badly, but bad doesn't = cheap. Carroll, Downing, Benteke, Lambert, Markovic, Balotelli etc weren't cheap signings, they were just bad signings.

I don't know how we'd go about signing a centre back at the minute, as it's plainly obvious that we're desperate so any club we approach is bound to inflate their asking price because of that, meaning we'd have a pretty hard job trying to sign a decent one on a permanent deal at the minute. Maybe trying to loan a centre back for 6 months would be an option if we were willing to stump up a generous loan fee, but are there any defenders of the calibre we require whose club would be willing to part with them for 6 months? Even if a tempting fee was offered?

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #87: Jan 28, 2021 03:28:36 pm
      Were both on here a long long time Clint. 2007 I think I joined. In that time we had some good sides, some not so good. But even when we has a side 8 9 10 points off top there was still optimism. We told ourselves that Utd or city whoever was on top were capable of dropping points, and we could get the wins needed.....it never happenned, but we believed.

Here we are now, defending champions, 7 points off top at the halfway point....why not belueve it now? With that team and that manager? With this mad season whete points are being dropped and won all over the place. West ham 4th. Southampton up there, Evrrton in the mix! Mad season

Twists and turns will keep occuring to the end..Were well capable of going on a run of wins...19 games to go!! Dont give up yet

I joined 2007 as well.

We need everything to click and others lose their way. If we win the next three games: Spurs, West Ham and City will be back. If anything else, we're not Champions for sure.

I will support the team all the way but we can't be delusional.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      Reply #88: Jan 28, 2021 03:38:02 pm
      I joined 2007 as well.

We need everything to click and others lose their way. If we win the next three games: Spurs, West Ham and City will be back. If anything else, we're not Champions for sure.

I will support the team all the way but we can't be delusional.

I really fail to see how its delusional to give up after 19 games. Lets see whst way tonight plays out, but all going well well be 4 points off city and playing them in 10 days....So potentially in 10 days we could be a point behind city with 17 games to go .....if thats delusional.....
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #89: Jan 28, 2021 03:55:27 pm
      I agree we should have went out and signed a central defender back in the summer, but to say FSG sign the cheap option is wrong. As I said, in 2014 we were poised to sign Alexis Sanchez but he turned us down because he wanted to move to London after Arsenal made a late bid. It's not as though the grand plan was to to replace Suarez with Balotelli on the cheap, it was a last resort panic buy as deals for better options had fell through. FSG haven't bought cheap, in the past they've bought badly, but bad doesn't = cheap. Carroll, Downing, Benteke, Lambert, Markovic, Balotelli etc weren't cheap signings, they were just bad signings.

I don't know how we'd go about signing a centre back at the minute, as it's plainly obvious that we're desperate so any club we approach is bound to inflate their asking price because of that, meaning we'd have a pretty hard job trying to sign a decent one on a permanent deal at the minute. Maybe trying to loan a centre back for 6 months would be an option if we were willing to stump up a generous loan fee, but are there any defenders of the calibre we require whose club would be willing to part with them for 6 months? Even if a tempting fee was offered?

The cheap option i'm referring to is Lambert and Balotelli to replace Suarez,Lambert was 32 at the time and Balotelli was a lazy troublemaker hardly replacements for a fast and skilful Suarez, both didn't fit the mould of how Brendan likes to play football hence Sterling leaving as he saw that the owners weren't ambitious enough(as well as the big pay rise),as for clubs inflating their prices we paid 75m for VVD which at the time everyone said was inflated,where do you think all the revenue has gone from the success Jürgen has bought the club?We are also spending 4m on a youngster from Derby i believe,so there is money?The bigger picture is we can't expect to compete for the PL or CL this season without investment in the CB area.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #90: Jan 28, 2021 04:00:18 pm
      I really fail to see how its delusional to give up after 19 games. Lets see whst way tonight plays out, but all going well well be 4 points off city and playing them in 10 days....So potentially in 10 days we could be a point behind city with 17 games to go .....if thats delusional.....

Maybe the wording is wrong,it should be realistic,lets be honest we can't expect to compete with our two first choice CB's out(one being the best in the world), playing players out of position to fill the void or putting players that are not good enough at this level in,yes we have a chance but if we make top four that is a realistic target.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #91: Jan 28, 2021 06:25:36 pm

We need to win all three to have a very good chance.

Quick Reply