Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The title race

Read 42141 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      The title race
      Jan 21, 2021 09:56:08 am
      Big game tonight v Burnley need to get the habit of winning and scoring again. While things have not gone well recently, I think some of the reaction on here and in general is a bit over the top. People thinking well do well to get top 4. Have you all just forgotten what this group has achieved in the very recent past? Is it really that easy to lose heart?

I’ve said all along this title will be decided by the games involving the top 6 against each other. All have or will drop points against teams outside the top 6 but the essentials will be games against each other.

Interesting reading is the results from the games already played, and the mini top 6 table.

Tottenham 0 1 Everton
      Man city 2 5 Leicester
      Man utd 1 6 Tottenham
      Everton 2 2 Liverpool
      Everton 1 3 Man utd
      Man city 1 1 Liverpool
      Tottenham 2 0 Man city
      Liverpool 3 0 Leicester
      Man utd 0 0 Man city
      Liverpool 2 1 Tottenham
      Leicester 0 2 Everton
      Tottenham 0 2 Leicester
      Leicester 2 2 Man utd
      Liverpool 0 0 Man utd

TEAM            PLAYED    POINTS   GF   GA
      Liverpool        5                   9         8      4
      Everton           4                  7          6      5
      Leicester         5                  7          9      9
      Tottenham     5                  6          9      6
      Man utd          5                  6          6      9
      Man city         4                   2          3      8

Also interesting to note, for all our defensive issues we have the tightest defence in the big games

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2021 10:01:19 am by Brian78 »
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Re: The title race
      Reply #1: Jan 21, 2021 10:33:45 am
      Big game tonight v Burnley need to get the habit of winning and scoring again. While things have not gone well recently, I think some of the reaction on here and in general is a bit over the top. People thinking well do well to get top 4. Have you all just forgotten what this group has achieved in the very recent past? Is it really that easy to lose heart?

I’ve said all along this title will be decided by the games involving the top 6 against each other. All have or will drop points against teams outside the top 6 but the essentials will be games against each other.

Interesting reading is the results from the games already played, and the mini top 6 table.

Tottenham 0 1 Everton
      Man city 2 5 Leicester
      Man utd 1 6 Tottenham
      Everton 2 2 Liverpool
      Everton 1 3 Man utd
      Man city 1 1 Liverpool
      Tottenham 2 0 Man city
      Liverpool 3 0 Leicester
      Man utd 0 0 Man city
      Liverpool 2 1 Tottenham
      Leicester 0 2 Everton
      Tottenham 0 2 Leicester
      Leicester 2 2 Man utd
      Liverpool 0 0 Man utd

Also interesting to note, for all our defensive issues we have the tightest defence in the big games

So we are top of the mini league that you say will decide the title yet we are struggling to hang onto top 4 in the proper league.

The top 5 league is irrelevant if you can't beat Burnley West brom Brighton Fulham and Newcastle im afraid.

We didn't sort our defensive issue in the summer. We have done nothing about it in January either.

After the away games against West ham and spurs following tonights game our 'race' will be run as I cannot see us picking up 9 points that will be needed just to tread water and stay 4 points off city when equal games are played. I fear they will be well away from us by the time they come to anfield.

I know I sound doom n gloom ... but its just the way I see it. Forget the recent results ... looking at the performances lately im worried whether we are even going to compete till the end for the title ... make a team go to the end to take it from us. I dont see the fire in our eyes at the moment. I hope it comes back soon.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2: Jan 21, 2021 10:43:20 am
      So we are top of the mini league that you say will decide the title yet we are struggling to hang onto top 4 in the proper league.

The top 5 league is irrelevant if you can't beat Burnley West brom Brighton Fulham and Newcastle im afraid.

We didn't sort our defensive issue in the summer. We have done nothing about it in January either.

After the away games against West ham and spurs following tonights game our 'race' will be run as I cannot see us picking up 9 points that will be needed just to tread water and stay 4 points off city when equal games are played. I fear they will be well away from us by the time they come to anfield.

I know I sound doom n gloom ... but its just the way I see it. Forget the recent results ... looking at the performances lately im worried whether we are even going to compete till the end for the title ... make a team go to the end to take it from us. I dont see the fire in our eyes at the moment. I hope it comes back soon.

Where have I said the rest of the league is irrelevant? I said teams in the top 6 will continue to drop points in games against teams outside the top 6 but itll be the games against each other that decide the outcome.

The crying and moaning on here is at times disgraceful. Half a season to go and many are giving up. Be the same gang that either hide or jump to the front to slap the lads on the back when were going well.

This is not over  we are not done. We are 6 points off top with a game in hand with 20 games to play. F**k sake
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #3: Jan 21, 2021 10:44:28 am
      Still confident we can do it. If we're within 6 points of City by the time we meet at Anfield I reckon we'll have a pretty good chance. Barring Matip doesn't get injured between now & the City game, we'll be going into that with him & Fabinho at centre half and also (touch wood) Diego Jota available. I'm more than confident in that side not just getting a win against City but also putting in a dominant performance and swinging the pendulum back in our favour.

We just need to start taking the campaign one step at a time now. Getting a win (and hopefully a few goals to get the monkey off our back) tonight is massive and will be the first step. Our next league fixtures after that are Spurs away, West Ham away and Brighton at home. Should really be looking at 7 points minimum from those three games which would then theoretically leave a *six point gap between ourselves and City by the time we play them

*Providing City win all of their fixtures up until we play them, along with any game(s) in hand

Beat City at our place there'll be a *three point difference, and a great title race in the final months of the season. Still everything to play for
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #4: Jan 21, 2021 10:48:14 am
      I think the difference is a couple of seasons back we were playing heavy metal football and blitzing teams. Last season much more measured, tighter at the back, never gave up and nearly always sneaked a goal in, lots of 1-0 wins or goals in the last 5 minutes.

Since the game restarted after lockdown we have generally done neither of the above and apart from a few games it would be hard to say we have played well even though we may have got the result.

Problem is lately and probably since the 7-0 we haven't looked or played all that well, in my opinion we have looked leaden footed in some games but most games we try the same tactics which don't appear to work game after game, for example, lumping high balls into the box is ludicrous given we have no huge attackers and most times we don't have anyone in the box to collect anyway.

I also have to say that some of the officials decisions tnis season have been baffling, it's OK if they're sh*t, and the same sh*t for both teams but we really do appear to be getting the shitty end of the stick when it comes to decisions.

So overall if it was the odd poor game then fair enough but when it's game after game then it's no wonder that people are worried or confused.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Jan 21, 2021 11:56:58 am
      Still all to play for.

Loads of games and loads of points.

Its an interesting title race.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #6: Jan 21, 2021 12:09:13 pm
      Still all to play for.

Yep.

This isn't a title race like the last 3 or 4. This will go right to the last few games and only a few points will separate those at the top.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Jan 21, 2021 12:21:40 pm
      Still all to play for.

If anything itll be better to win in a tight race. But I just cannot believe how many have given up with so many games left. Its frightening, and somewhat embarrassing
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #8: Jan 21, 2021 12:35:29 pm
      people talking about City, if we don't win tonight we could be 12 points behind utd - if we lose at Spurs which is quite probable.

12 points behind Utd, who I think we were 33 points ahead this time last year. Unbelievable swing.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #9: Jan 21, 2021 12:49:05 pm
      Where have I said the rest of the league is irrelevant? I said teams in the top 6 will continue to drop points in games against teams outside the top 6 but itll be the games against each other that decide the outcome.

The crying and moaning on here is at times disgraceful. Half a season to go and many are giving up. Be the same gang that either hide or jump to the front to slap the lads on the back when were going well.

This is not over  we are not done. We are 6 points off top with a game in hand with 20 games to play. F**k sake

I didn't say you said the rest of the league is irrelevant.  I said your top 5 league ... which we are top of is irrelevant if you can't beat Burnley Brighton Fulham West brom and Newcastle.

Its not giving up mate. Its looking realistically at it. Im behind the lads 100%. I hope we turn it round.

After the West brom debacle I expected our lads to react and fight for this league. Throw in the Newcastle and Southampton performances which were poor.

Big motivation for the utd game. It was united, we had the chance to go back top, shut them up after mouthing off all week and shut the press up who were writing us off and giving it a utd love fest. We put another limp performance in. The gauntlet is being thrown down. We are being challenged. We look miles off rising to that challenge.

This isn't last season now. Great teams go again. You are right, plenty to play for. But if we don't pull our fingers out starting tonight we will be in a scrap for a top 4 finish in 5/6 games time because city and possibly the other lot will be away and gone. Thats the reality.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10: Jan 21, 2021 01:17:48 pm
      people talking about City, if we don't win tonight we could be 12 points behind utd - if we lose at Spurs which is quite probable.

12 points behind Utd, who I think we were 33 points ahead this time last year. Unbelievable swing.

Bloody hell, have you tied the noose yet??

We will WIN tonight and I think we'll beat Spurs as well, we have an excellent record against them in recent years, after that we will pick up momentum and also welcome back some faces and then who knows what will happen but I guarantee that both Utd and City will have a dip at some point.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #11: Jan 21, 2021 01:20:01 pm
      Difficult situation really. The points gap isn't very much but the performances are worrying and we're probably not going to have VVD and Gomez all season and of course Matip will get injured again soon.

Heart says we will rally in the second half of the season and pip City to it like they did to us two years ago but head says we'll probably be in the midst of a mad scrap for top four in a few weeks time.

Let's see - winning tonight whilst scoring a few would be a massive boost and would change the mood a bit.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12: Jan 21, 2021 01:21:06 pm
      I didn't say you said the rest of the league is irrelevant.  I said your top 5 league ... which we are top of is irrelevant if you can't beat Burnley Brighton Fulham West brom and Newcastle.

Its not giving up mate. Its looking realistically at it. Im behind the lads 100%. I hope we turn it round.

After the West brom debacle I expected our lads to react and fight for this league. Throw in the Newcastle and Southampton performances which were poor.

Big motivation for the utd game. It was united, we had the chance to go back top, shut them up after mouthing off all week and shut the press up who were writing us off and giving it a utd love fest. We put another limp performance in. The gauntlet is being thrown down. We are being challenged. We look miles off rising to that challenge.

This isn't last season now. Great teams go again. You are right, plenty to play for. But if we don't pull our fingers out starting tonight we will be in a scrap for a top 4 finish in 5/6 games time because city and possibly the other lot will be away and gone. Thats the reality.

I disagree about the Utd game, I thought that was a much better team performance, we just had sod all luck especially the fact that every good opportunity fell to Bobby who had a horrendous game. If we play like that tonight and also let the midfielders take some more shots then we win.

The Pogba goal yesterday was a classic example of how to beat a low block, just create a bit of space on the edge of the 16 yard box and blast it, even if the keeper saves it it may well rebound to another player for a tap in, it has to be better than floating crosses in?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13: Jan 21, 2021 01:23:17 pm
      Difficult situation really. The points gap isn't very much but the performances are worrying and we're probably not going to have VVD and Gomez all season and of course Matip will get injured again soon.

Heart says we will rally in the second half of the season and pip City to it like they did to us two years ago but head says we'll probably be in the midst of a mad scrap for top four in a few weeks time.

Let's see - winning tonight whilst scoring a few would be a massive boost and would change the mood a bit.

I think we get Virgil back sometime in March, that would make a huge difference for the run-in, unfortunately it doesn't help us much in February which is a horrendously tricky month for us, but we should have Jota back by then and please please let Matip and Thiago stay healthy!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14: Jan 21, 2021 01:57:43 pm
      We’re going to win it...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15: Jan 21, 2021 03:24:27 pm
      Yep.

This isn't a title race like the last 3 or 4. This will go right to the last few games and only a few points will separate those at the top.

exactly. February we play top 4 teams too, get our form back by then, and its game on.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #16: Jan 21, 2021 03:25:41 pm
      If anything itll be better to win in a tight race. But I just cannot believe how many have given up with so many games left. Its frightening, and somewhat embarrassing

Aye, would be nice to win it after a tight race, weve came so close over the past 30 years, lost by a few points here and there, be nice to win it that way. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #17: Jan 21, 2021 03:27:08 pm
      I disagree about the Utd game, I thought that was a much better team performance, we just had sod all luck especially the fact that every good opportunity fell to Bobby who had a horrendous game. If we play like that tonight and also let the midfielders take some more shots then we win.

The Pogba goal yesterday was a classic example of how to beat a low block, just create a bit of space on the edge of the 16 yard box and blast it, even if the keeper saves it it may well rebound to another player for a tap in, it has to be better than floating crosses in?

we played well v united, made plenty chances, just our forwards are having a wee blip. that will change soon, hopefully tonight.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #18: Jan 21, 2021 04:14:01 pm
      The inability of the front 3 even to get shots off has been simmering for 1.5 years. It was incredibly apparent vs certain European teams in the CL last season. The Jota signing was the perfect remedy but the offense is back to its worst version during his recovery from injury.

The book is out
      "Build a wall vs LFC....then counter down the left side or over the top"

I watch the best teams make diagonal runs with mids who deliver smart precise passes.
      This team prefers over the top entry passes from the backline to their undersized targets...a tactic that stopped working a year ago
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Jan 21, 2021 05:45:51 pm

There’s a lot of plastic in the ocean mate ?
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #20: Jan 21, 2021 05:57:45 pm

I thought we had a little go for 25/30 minutes against utd. But the 2nd half was poor imo and they finished stronger.

In fact I'd go as far as to say they missed out. If they had more in them and had a good go they could have beaten us last weekend. But if you think we played well fair enough. Compared to recent games maybe.

As for bobby ... how long is it going to go on for? Even when jota was fit and scoring Jürgen fudged it and left bobby in. Love firmino ... but he is a shadow of what he was and a goal every now and then wont cover that up.

Surely minamino deserves 5/6 games on the bounce before jota comes back.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Jan 21, 2021 06:02:26 pm

Tottenham 0 1 Everton
      Man city 2 5 Leicester
      Man utd 1 6 Tottenham
      Everton 2 2 Liverpool
      Everton 1 3 Man utd
      Man city 1 1 Liverpool
      Tottenham 2 0 Man city
      Liverpool 3 0 Leicester
      Man utd 0 0 Man city
      Liverpool 2 1 Tottenham
      Leicester 0 2 Everton
      Tottenham 0 2 Leicester
      Leicester 2 2 Man utd
      Liverpool 0 0 Man utd

For me, your top 6 table confirms we are the best football-playing side in the world. It's this other game, the one half the Premier League play with packing their own penalty area, that we struggle with.

As a result, I'd say our chances are bettter to win the Champions League this season than the Premier League. Really like our chances in that competition.

But we can still slug it out in the Premier League. Bad string of results lately, but too many games left for so much doom and gloom. Take heart, Reds.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #22: Jan 21, 2021 11:23:31 pm
      At the moment we are out of the title race.   We need to first score a goal then win a game then try to string a run of wins until then we aren't in a title race.  We need to have our top players come back from injury starting with Jota.   At this moment of time City are out as favourites we are out of the picture in my opinion.   Half way in the season still a lot to play for and there will be twist and turns with this unpredictable season, but right now we need dust ourselves and start again. We aren't in it at this moment of time we need to oil the machine and try to climb back up the table.  It is a very difficult season very competitive after 2 very one sided and one 2 sided seasons this is looking like a very competitive season right up there as most competitive.   

Quick Reply