Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The title race

Read 42110 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: The title race
      Reply #23: Jan 21, 2021 11:42:12 pm
      8/1 with the bookies and I would suggest that is on reputation alone.

Title has all bit gone and probably went over the Xmas period.

The race for top 4 is surely the target now. We could find ourselves as low as 7th if teams around us win games in hand.

We have to start winning our home games to get there.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #24: Jan 21, 2021 11:44:59 pm
      Just getting started...ours to lose.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #25: Jan 21, 2021 11:46:19 pm
      8/1 with the bookies and I would suggest that is on reputation alone.

Title has all bit gone and probably went over the Xmas period.

The race for top 4 is surely the target now. We could find ourselves as low as 7th if teams around us win games in hand.

We have to start winning our home games to get there.
      At least we are still in the FA cup & Champions League, for the time being anyway !
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #26: Jan 22, 2021 12:00:00 am
      I just can’t believe we haven’t scored a PL goal in 2021. Need to sort that sh*t out quick smart!
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #27: Jan 22, 2021 01:49:28 am
      Top 4 race now I’m afraid
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #28: Jan 22, 2021 09:02:10 am
      We can still turn it around BUT it will require Klopp to drop Bobby and Trent for a few games, he needs to stop playing players on past achievements and that includes Origi.

I simply cannot fathom how many opportunities Origi gets compared to Minamino, was Minamino perhaps not a Klopp signing, I really feel sorry for the lad.

I'd drop Trent for Neco, yes I know Neco is a bit iffy as well, but at least he'd me motivated and you never know he might just grow into his role the same way Trent did.
      Bobby just needs dropping for the forseeable future, just a sh*t player for us now. I'd play Minamino or Shaq in his role until Jota is fit.

I'd also have to be absolutely forced into playing the Ox, it would have to be the very very last option I had, he is another player who was good but has never recaptured his old form and needs moving on in the summer.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #29: Jan 22, 2021 09:06:59 am
      We can still turn it around BUT it will require Klopp to drop Bobby and Trent for a few games, he needs to stop playing players on past achievements and that includes Origi.

I simply cannot fathom how many opportunities Origi gets compared to Minamino, was Minamino perhaps not a Klopp signing, I really feel sorry for the lad.

I'd drop Trent for Neco, yes I know Neco is a bit iffy as well, but at least he'd me motivated and you never know he might just grow into his role the same way Trent did.
      Bobby just needs dropping for the forseeable future, just a sh*t player for us now. I'd play Minamino or Shaq in his role until Jota is fit.

I'd also have to be absolutely forced into playing the Ox, it would have to be the very very last option I had, he is another player who was good but has never recaptured his old form and needs moving on in the summer.

This....we can turn it around plenty of games to do. Well need to beat those above us which we can, and them to beat each other. Might help if we can score against anyone to!!

But the key here is change....repeating the thing that doesnt work is madness. Last night saw the team and thought ok maybe were shaking it up here, only to see Origi slot in for Bobby and Ox in for Mo and off we go with the same set up. By the way looks like the boss had planned that them 2 were off at thst point no matter what. Ox was poo but Origi was having a go, so was it 2 changes for the right reasons?
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #30: Jan 22, 2021 09:10:24 am
      6pts adrift half way through it's not over, however we need to forget about the title for now and who's top and concentrate on picking up some points, we have to stay in that top four battle.
      We can't turn into a bad team over a couple of months, confidence is very low it's clear particularly with the attack. I can't answer whether the players have the same hunger only them theirselves truly know that but you have to presume or hope as professional they haven't lost it.
      We could easily turn things around and get a full strength squad back at some point. Let everyone else write us off, nobody is mentioning it but we could have a good run in the CL yet.
      This isn't head in the sand stuff or blind belief, I'm thinking/hoping we will hit some form.
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2021 10:04:13 am by Rush Goalie »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Jan 22, 2021 09:12:09 am
      This....we can turn it around plenty of games to do. Well need to beat those above us which we can, and them to beat each other. Might help if we can score against anyone to!!

But the key here is change....repeating the thing that doesnt work is madness. Last night saw the team and thought ok maybe were shaking it up here, only to see Origi slot in for Bobby and Ox in for Mo and off we go with the same set up. By the way looks like the boss had planned that them 2 were off at thst point no matter what. Ox was poo but Origi was having a go, so was it 2 changes for the right reasons?

It was a change in approach as well, we were much more direct, taking shots and driving through the middle, the problem last night was team selection, specifically having Ox and Origi in the team, swap them out for Mo and Minamino or Curtis and I am almost certain we would have gone in at half time several goals up.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #32: Jan 22, 2021 09:16:01 am
      We need to be wise. No one says the title race is over and we need to take PL seriously anyway because Top4 is essential. But at the same time I'd focus on CL (and FA-Cup) just like we did in 2018. City is so strong and leading us with 2 games virtually, I don't see them having as bad a stretch as we have. Let's face it: our chance of silverware lies in CL and FA-Cup and if we win one of them (and make Top4) it'd be a good season eventually.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #33: Jan 22, 2021 09:18:30 am
      It was a change in approach as well, we were much more direct, taking shots and driving through the middle, the problem last night was team selection, specifically having Ox and Origi in the team, swap them out for Mo and Minamino or Curtis and I am almost certain we would have gone in at half time several goals up.

Origi and Shaq willing to shoot. Gini had no intention nor the 2 full backs or Thiago or Mane
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34: Jan 22, 2021 09:20:38 am
      Origi and Shaq willing to shoot. Gini had no intention nor the 2 full backs or Thiago or Mane

Gini was so frustrating, several times he had the ball, was driving forwards, had an opening, but stopped and passed it to the Full backs or back to Mane.  What the hell is wrong with this guy, he scores for fun with the Netherlands but seems to have zero confidence in even taking a shot for us!!
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #35: Jan 22, 2021 12:42:31 pm
      We need to be wise. No one says the title race is over and we need to take PL seriously anyway because Top4 is essential. But at the same time I'd focus on CL (and FA-Cup) just like we did in 2018. City is so strong and leading us with 2 games virtually, I don't see them having as bad a stretch as we have. Let's face it: our chance of silverware lies in CL and FA-Cup and if we win one of them (and make Top4) it'd be a good season eventually.

Let's be honest on paper the title race may not be over but it's becoming less and less likely match after match.

Looking at the plain facts, we are halfway through the season, we start the 2nd half of the season with a 4 point deficit to the team who are the one to beat. We are in a dreadful run of form playing pretty much the same way game after game and getting similar results. We of course have some pretty serious injuries at present so again not an ideal starting point and the team we are looking to beat are playing very well and stringing together an impressive run of results that we can only aspire to.

I honestly can't see us going on a winning streak in the near future unfortunately and that's not being defeatist just pragmatic. I'll still support the team and watch every match but it's tough watching at the moment.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #36: Jan 22, 2021 02:06:57 pm
      Gini was so frustrating, several times he had the ball, was driving forwards, had an opening, but stopped and passed it to the Full backs or back to Mane.  What the hell is wrong with this guy, he scores for fun with the Netherlands but seems to have zero confidence in even taking a shot for us!!

That run he had was just asking him to take a shot, space opened up for him and everything. Gini sh*t himself and went for the easier option.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #37: Jan 22, 2021 02:10:03 pm
      De Bruyne out for 4 to 6 weeks.

Vardy out for longer.

Now is the time to regain form and beat these sides when we meet.

Only problem is it puts the Scum in a better position to win the league.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #38: Jan 22, 2021 03:50:38 pm
      Believers to doubters.

We are going to challenge for this thing. I can't even believe people think we are going to be in some sort of fight to stay in the top 4.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39: Jan 22, 2021 03:55:33 pm
      6 points off top and people are caving in.. step up and support the Boss and players..

We are going to F***ing win it..others will drop points too..
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #40: Jan 23, 2021 12:33:05 am
      Believers to doubters.

We are going to challenge for this thing. I can't even believe people think we are going to be in some sort of fight to stay in the top 4.

I only mentioned the four meaning we've got 19 more games let's not get hung up on not being top, let's get a run together and forget about what City and Utd do. I'm certainly no way giving up.. I've got a feeling Big Ears number 7 could be on the way anyway...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #41: Jan 23, 2021 12:41:50 am
      Super fans don’t do it your self save it for next season when we can regroup.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #42: Jan 23, 2021 09:08:06 am
      Super fans don’t do it your self save it for next season when we can regroup.

Whar defines a super fan? If its someone who does not give up because with half a season left they are 6 points off top then Im one. Do I get a badge or something?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #43: Jan 23, 2021 09:12:32 am
      We need a thread for the sensible folk called The top 4 race.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #44: Jan 23, 2021 09:13:24 am
      We need a thread for the sensible folk called The top 4 race.

Well go and create it and be happy in there
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #45: Jan 23, 2021 09:14:56 am
      Well go and create it and be happy in there

Haha well done.

But seriously that's our target. Didnt stick around for the post match stuff but I'm sure I read Jürgen said that himself. 

Quick Reply