Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The title race

Read 42115 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: The title race
      Reply #322: Feb 08, 2021 03:00:38 pm
      It's not looking good but it's not over until it's over.

Pretty sure I could hear the fat lady sing her Bridget Jones knickers off yesterday. ;)
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #323: Feb 08, 2021 03:13:19 pm
      There was a sense of inevitability about that result yesterday. I feel once we get Kabak up to speed and get Hendo back in midfield we should get top four. Won't be easy though cos you have Chelsea looking alright again and you can't write off Spurs or Everton at this stage. Just wasnt to be this season. I really hope Jürgen has the answers.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #324: Feb 08, 2021 03:37:29 pm
      Pretty sure I could hear the fat lady sing her Bridget Jones knickers off yesterday. ;)

Assuming City win their game in hand we are going to have to win 5 more games than City in the remaining 15 fixtures, as much as I like positive thinking it simply is not going to happen unless something very dramatic happens to Man City.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #325: Feb 08, 2021 03:39:18 pm
      There was a sense of inevitability about that result yesterday. I feel once we get Kabak up to speed and get Hendo back in midfield we should get top four. Won't be easy though cos you have Chelsea looking alright again and you can't write off Spurs or Everton at this stage. Just wasnt to be this season. I really hope Jürgen has the answers.

Yeah its a tight league this year, but once the CB's are in place I still feel we are better than all the other teams, except for City. We could end up a fairly comfortable second place but we need to beat Leicester and break this hoodoo playing at home.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #326: Feb 08, 2021 10:26:56 pm
      Assuming City win their game in hand we are going to have to win 5 more games than City in the remaining 15 fixtures, as much as I like positive thinking it simply is not going to happen unless something very dramatic happens to Man City.

Start working on that voodoo doll Bud!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #327: Feb 09, 2021 08:15:17 am
      Start working on that voodoo doll Bud!

Think he's been smoking that sh*te your on.  :cool-smiley-027:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #328: Feb 09, 2021 10:13:01 am
      Think he's been smoking that sh*te your on.  :cool-smiley-027:

??? So you think Liverpool can catch Man City, really?????

OR are you just trolling me again munt!!
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Currently in 6th place
      Reply #329: Feb 15, 2021 09:50:30 pm
      Not something I expected to see after being top on NY's Day so where do we go from here? Hopefully a big win v Everton next week!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Currently in 6th place
      Reply #330: Feb 15, 2021 09:57:23 pm
      Not sure it needs a thread Paul?
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #331: Feb 15, 2021 10:04:44 pm
      Not sure it needs a thread Paul?

Oh well guess the admin will delete! It's annoyed me no end though recent form sorry!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #332: Feb 15, 2021 10:08:02 pm
      Oh well guess the admin will delete! It's annoyed me no end though recent form sorry!

Yep. But we will oome good..Lets worry about tomorrow and then onto ths derby. 2 good results will get us going again 👍
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #333: Feb 15, 2021 10:10:35 pm
      6th but top 4 is still on. We just need to find some form. But we do have players coming back.

But how bad have spurs and arsenal been? They are still nowhere near us and we have barely won a game this year.

But even if we miss out on top 5, I agree with Paul Merson (for once) when he said next season it’s 50/50 between us and city for the title.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #334: Feb 16, 2021 06:09:17 am
      Rather rename the thread to the top 4 battle. That's what we have been in for months now when we sat 2nd and its what we are in now sat 6th.

40 points on the board. The past 3 or 4 seasons 70 points would get you into 4th. We sit on 40 points. 10 wins and we will make it.

Its a tough ask to be honest and it will require us to put a little run together at some point. 3 wins on the bounce would make the equation more manageable 
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts | 38 
      Reply #335: Feb 16, 2021 08:27:17 am
      I think with Chelsea's upturn in form it will be very difficult to finish in the top 4 this season. I'd consider myself an optimist usually however it's difficult to see where a run of wins is coming from with the form the boys are in.

We need Hendo and Fabs back in midfield but that's not happening any time soon - Klopp won't be playing a pairing made up of Davies/Kabak/Phillips/Williams - if he did we wouldn't be winning games anyway.

I'd like to think - as Merson says - next year will be us and City 50/50 for the title. Klopp and the boys will have to work hard over the summer to undo the negative impact this season will have on them.

Also lets just hope FSG don't do anything stupid and go..."well Klopp didn't make top 4, perhaps it's time for a change". Hard to believe that would happen but then stranger things have.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #336: Feb 16, 2021 09:00:30 am
      I think with Chelsea's upturn in form it will be very difficult to finish in the top 4 this season. I'd consider myself an optimist usually however it's difficult to see where a run of wins is coming from with the form the boys are in.

We need Hendo and Fabs back in midfield but that's not happening any time soon - Klopp won't be playing a pairing made up of Davies/Kabak/Phillips/Williams - if he did we wouldn't be winning games anyway.

I'd like to think - as Merson says - next year will be us and City 50/50 for the title. Klopp and the boys will have to work hard over the summer to undo the negative impact this season will have on them.

Also lets just hope FSG don't do anything stupid and go..."well Klopp didn't make top 4, perhaps it's time for a change". Hard to believe that would happen but then stranger things have.

OK so lets look at the likely Top4. Man City - Little debate about this now, unless they suffer a complete collapse then they will walk the league this season

So who makes the other 3 spots, who are the candidates:

1) Liverpool - We are still one of the best team out of the chasing pack and if we can find some form and consistency I still fancy us to get top 4.
      2) Man Utd - Have been good lately but seem to be getting a bit flakey again, should still make top 4 though
      3) Chelsea - Looking much better under Tuchel and if they continue this form then I definitely fancy them for Top4, possibly #2.
      4) Leicester - Yes they beat us, but in reality they were extremely lucky, if not for that questionable first goal then we would have won that match, but they always fade towards the end of a season plus they have Brendan in charge and are so dependent on Vardy who is surely due another injury at some point.
      5) West Ham - No, just No
      6) Everton - Similar to Man Utd seem to be running out of gas a little bit lately, but they could challenge, huge game on Saturday.
      6) I can't see any other teams challenging.

So I think it will end up;
      City
      Chelsea
      Liverpool
      Man Utd
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #337: Feb 16, 2021 09:13:41 am
      Currently sitting on the crapper.
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts | 38 
      Reply #338: Feb 16, 2021 09:27:32 am
      OK so lets look at the likely Top4. Man City - Little debate about this now, unless they suffer a complete collapse then they will walk the league this season

So who makes the other 3 spots, who are the candidates:

1) Liverpool - We are still one of the best team out of the chasing pack and if we can find some form and consistency I still fancy us to get top 4.
      2) Man Utd - Have been good lately but seem to be getting a bit flakey again, should still make top 4 though
      3) Chelsea - Looking much better under Tuchel and if they continue this form then I definitely fancy them for Top4, possibly #2.
      4) Leicester - Yes they beat us, but in reality they were extremely lucky, if not for that questionable first goal then we would have won that match, but they always fade towards the end of a season plus they have Brendan in charge and are so dependent on Vardy who is surely due another injury at some point.
      5) West Ham - No, just No
      6) Everton - Similar to Man Utd seem to be running out of gas a little bit lately, but they could challenge, huge game on Saturday.
      6) I can't see any other teams challenging.

So I think it will end up;
      City
      Chelsea
      Liverpool
      Man Utd

I hope you're right, however I think you do Leicester a disservice with your summarisation. I know they faded badly last season however time will tell if they repeat those mistakes.

My point though was that we need to regain that consistency we had. It feels though like we have been in poor(ish) form since project restart. We've played well in games, don't get me wrong, but we've have not been the same as pre-covid. The boys have worked massively hard over the previous 3 seasons and deserve all the plaudits we can give them. A drop in form was always likely - no team can keep up the levels that we set, even the mighty Citeh.

I feel this season we will finish 5th or 6th. Not great for our club, however I doubt many other teams around us could achieve that playing their midfielders in defence for a large part of the season.

Next season, different story. Bolstering the defence in the summer with a quality centre back(s), a few more tweaks, crowds back in the Kop and we're back challenging again.

Doom and gloom? This season maybe so, it just hasn't panned out how we'd have wanted (so far), however next season bring it on :)
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #339: Feb 16, 2021 01:10:32 pm
      Tbh if we end up in next seasons Europa league it isn’t the end of the world.
      Will give a few younger and fringe players game time.

Financially it’ll be a blow but the owners are not daft. They will know if they weaken the squad we will be on a downward spiral and they are intelligent business men.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #340: Feb 17, 2021 12:23:30 am
      I hope you're right, however I think you do Leicester a disservice with your summarisation. I know they faded badly last season however time will tell if they repeat those mistakes.

My point though was that we need to regain that consistency we had. It feels though like we have been in poor(ish) form since project restart. We've played well in games, don't get me wrong, but we've have not been the same as pre-covid. The boys have worked massively hard over the previous 3 seasons and deserve all the plaudits we can give them. A drop in form was always likely - no team can keep up the levels that we set, even the mighty Citeh.

I feel this season we will finish 5th or 6th. Not great for our club, however I doubt many other teams around us could achieve that playing their midfielders in defence for a large part of the season.

Next season, different story. Bolstering the defence in the summer with a quality centre back(s), a few more tweaks, crowds back in the Kop and we're back challenging again.

Doom and gloom? This season maybe so, it just hasn't panned out how we'd have wanted (so far), however next season bring it on :)

Just as you blame Heimy for doing Leicester a disservice you commit hari Kari by doing the same to us, Heimy is correct except he has his 2nd & 3rd wrong way round, you on the other hand are spot on in regards to why , we are, where we’re at, and like MU, we are in a false position, forced through our injury woes and to be honest without a plan B or C, in effect we are one dimensional without our key performers, and unlike MU, we will improve but MU will flatter to deceive,

We are in a position where we can’t say we will win this game or that, this time last season tho, it was almost inevitable, in our current form it doesn’t look good, however, now that that Champions expectations are lifted, we can relax slightly and concentrate more on ways to win rather than how to contain those who want to get the better of us,

It is unlikely, unfortunately that we will be seeing either Virgil or Joe again this season, so we need to plan as such, tonight’s win for example was a important shot into the confidence arm heading into the derby, to me this is a step towards our recovery and hopefully the end of our barren run, of course the fly in that particular ointment are blueshite on Saturday,

If we can get through relatively unscathed, ie, not lose, that’s another shot in the confidence arm, and then we can add some of our injured to the training schedules, the likes of Jota, Fabinho, Naby (shh) , you will find we will be in a much better position than some will make out, but, one step at a time, it’s frustrating, it’s boring i get it, but in the end there isn’t another team aside from us who can get close to City,

5th or 6th you reckon could be our final position, sorry mate but you really are doing us a disservice, we have yet to see a back four without Hendo or Fabinho but it will happen and therefore we will have our best midfield back too, when that happens you will see a totally different animal to what your seeing now,

In fact, I’ll go as far as to say we will finish as bridesmaids this season, it’s not ideal granted, but if you remember the Paisley days where it was deemed all doom and gloom, we finished second too,

Funny how time seems to repeat itself don’t you think ? Old Bob as you may remember was responsible form six league titles in his nine years as gaffer, and yes sometimes it didn’t quite work out how he planned, maybe, just maybe our No7 will become Jürgen’s No 2, I’ll just leave that there for you to ponder ?

Y  N  W  A

Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #341: Feb 18, 2021 11:32:25 am
      We can do 3 things in the rest of this season:

1) Win the CL or put on a decent showing of Semi-Finals to keep our coefficient high
      2) Finish in the top 4 and claw back a bit of respect
      3) By the above 2 we will not draw inevitable "bad champions tag" which would be a little bit disrespectful, but would no doubt hurt

I think we have looked far too complacent this season and a hungrier side would have got better results, regardless of injuries.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #342: Feb 18, 2021 12:21:33 pm
      I fancy us to now start getting a bit more consistent again in the league, we should finish top 4, and probably sneak 2nd.

Key things to happen though, Jota coming back in March, and Hendo moving back into MF whenever Fab is fit again.

Kabak has to keep playing, and hopefully start using Ben Davies when fit.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #343: Feb 18, 2021 03:26:20 pm
      I reckon with Jota back in a couple of weeks, perhaps that lad, can't think of his name again I'm sure he still plays for ......yes Naby Keita. We will have a good push for 3rd maybe 2nd. When Fabinho is back he goes into midfield for me and keep Hendo centre half.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #344: Feb 18, 2021 03:29:34 pm
      Gutted the title went so easy but when everythibg is weighed up

2nd or 3rd andvEuropean cup winners is an excellent season

2nd or 3rd and European cup finalists great season.

2nd or 3rd and good run in Europe ( semis) good season

4th in league out of Europe by the quarters will take and move on

Quick Reply