Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The title race

Read 42724 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: The title race
      Reply #552: Apr 21, 2021 03:18:41 am
      Hammers have a better run in than ours, they are definitely the ones to watch.

Yeah, I watched them against Newcastle.... We are looking more like ourselves. We got this.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #553: Apr 21, 2021 07:55:40 am
      Yeah, I watched them against Newcastle.... We are looking more like ourselves. We got this.

I think we need to get at least 15 from remaining 18 points.
      Itā€™s doable but our form has been so sketchy Iā€™m not so sure.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #554: Apr 21, 2021 08:39:18 am
      BTW, after the Chelsea result tonight I really rate our chances of finishing top 4. Pretty much in our hands now considering our schedule vs. everyone else's. Wish could have held on vs. Leeds but even so, I think we're set up now to qualify.

Yeah itā€™s definitely on again, if someone had said to me that from Wolves away, Arsenal away, Villa home and Leeds away we get 10 points Iā€™d have took it and felt we would be back with a shout of it

By the very nature of a top four challenge whoever is in it isnā€™t as consistent as the ones going for the title and 10 from 12 from that set of fixtures is about as consistent as a top 4 challenge team can hope for
      The thought that say West Ham will be more consistent than that is fanciful
      Chelsea and Leicester maybe so but both have other things in their sights as well with the CL semis and the FA cup final

We have 6 left, 5 of them being Newcastle , West Brom, Palace, Burnley and Southampton and if we can get similar ā€œconsistencyā€ as the last 4 then I think we will get enough and certainly say 14 points from the last 18 would be enough particularly when you look at say Leicesterā€™s run in with a last three games of Utd away, Chelsea away and and Spurs
      Then look at Chelseaā€™s run, they have West Ham next so one will drop points or both, they have Fulham who is a local derby in between two games with Madrid then they still have City away, Arsenal, Leicester and Villa

So itā€™s down to us to motivate ourselves and get back to the level of performance we know this team has in it and we will probably look at Leeds away as a point gained

Time to step up lads
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #555: Apr 21, 2021 11:57:48 am
      Yeah itā€™s definitely on again, if someone had said to me that from Wolves away, Arsenal away, Villa home and Leeds away we get 10 points Iā€™d have took it and felt we would be back with a shout of it

By the very nature of a top four challenge whoever is in it isnā€™t as consistent as the ones going for the title and 10 from 12 from that set of fixtures is about as consistent as a top 4 challenge team can hope for
      The thought that say West Ham will be more consistent than that is fanciful
      Chelsea and Leicester maybe so but both have other things in their sights as well with the CL semis and the FA cup final

We have 6 left, 5 of them being Newcastle , West Brom, Palace, Burnley and Southampton and if we can get similar ā€œconsistencyā€ as the last 4 then I think we will get enough and certainly say 14 points from the last 18 would be enough particularly when you look at say Leicesterā€™s run in with a last three games of Utd away, Chelsea away and and Spurs
      Then look at Chelseaā€™s run, they have West Ham next so one will drop points or both, they have Fulham who is a local derby in between two games with Madrid then they still have City away, Arsenal, Leicester and Villa

So itā€™s down to us to motivate ourselves and get back to the level of performance we know this team has in it and we will probably look at Leeds away as a point gained

Time to step up lads

Time to step up indeed. It will come down to who doesn't drop points against teams well below them in the table.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #556: Apr 21, 2021 12:27:19 pm
      BTW, after the Chelsea result tonight I really rate our chances of finishing top 4. Pretty much in our hands now considering our schedule vs. everyone else's. Wish could have held on vs. Leeds but even so, I think we're set up now to qualify.

We need to find a couple of gears fast though.

Apart from the game at Old Trafford (where we've developed a massive mental block now) I don't think we can drop many if any points.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #557: Apr 21, 2021 02:50:30 pm
      I the reverse fixtures against the teams we got left itā€™s grim reading.

We beat palace 7-0
      Drew against united, Newcastle, wba
      Lost against Southampton and Burnley.

6 points from those 18.
      So we will need to turn that corner to get back to form.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #558: Apr 21, 2021 02:51:48 pm
      I the reverse fixtures against the teams we got left itā€™s grim reading.

We beat palace 7-0
      Drew against united, Newcastle, wba
      Lost against Southampton and Burnley.

6 points from those 18.
      So we will need to turn that corner to get back to form.

Previous games against them is irrelevant

We know what we have to do so itā€™s on us and I fully back them to do it
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #559: Apr 21, 2021 02:53:38 pm
      Previous games against them is irrelevant

We know what we have to do so itā€™s on us and I fully back them to do it

We have known what we needed to do all season and simply havenā€™t done it.
      I donā€™t share your optimism that we can suddenly find it now.

L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #560: Apr 21, 2021 02:55:37 pm
      We have known what we needed to do all season and simply havenā€™t done it.
      I donā€™t share your optimism that we can suddenly find it now.

Weā€™ve won 3 of our last 4 drawing the other away at Leeds who have been tough for a lot of sides this season

Iā€™d suggest we are already finding it

Soz for not being a pessimist and backing the lads who have shown far more good form over the last 3 years than bad

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #561: Apr 21, 2021 02:58:22 pm
      Weā€™ve won 3 of our last 4 drawing the other away at Leeds who have been tough for a lot of sides this season

Iā€™d suggest we are already finding it

Soz for not being a pessimist and backing the lads who have shown far more good form over the last 3 years than bad

No need to apologise.
      And I hope youā€™re right.
      I said months ago that Iā€™m happy to give the team and klopp a free pass for this season. So even if itā€™s top 6 finish Iā€™ll be ok with that.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #562: Apr 21, 2021 03:00:48 pm
      No need to apologise.
      And I hope youā€™re right.
      I said months ago that Iā€™m happy to give the team and klopp a free pass for this season. So even if itā€™s top 6 finish Iā€™ll be ok with that.

Well thatā€™s where we slightly differ as I think CL qualification is vital especially with whatā€™s happened the last 48 hours or so
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #563: Apr 21, 2021 03:02:49 pm
      Well thatā€™s where we slightly differ as I think CL qualification is vital especially with whatā€™s happened the last 48 hours or so

Top 4 might not be enough for champions league anyway. Imagine that now. Finishing 4th and still ending up in Europa!
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #564: Apr 21, 2021 03:04:35 pm
      Top 4 might not be enough for champions league anyway. Imagine that now. Finishing 4th and still ending up in Europa!

That happens if Arsenal win the europa right?

All we can do is do our own job
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #565: Apr 21, 2021 03:05:55 pm
      That happens if Arsenal win the europa right?

All we can do is do our own job

I think arsenal have to win Europa and Chelsea have to win champions league (and finish outside top 4).

Newcastle at home next. West Ham play Chelsea. Big weekend.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #566: Apr 21, 2021 06:06:46 pm
      ESL in the bin back to discussing football.

Somehow we are still in the race for Top 4 considering how sh*te we have been is a minor miracle.

Apart from Utd away all our fixtures are winnable which may still not be enough and we may need at least a pt against the Mancs.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #567: Apr 21, 2021 06:25:43 pm
      Win all 6, simples
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #568: Apr 21, 2021 06:38:19 pm

Might not have yo.

Chelsea have the eye on other prizes and I just cant see west ham staying the pace, though ive said that a while now. Indeed I wouldnt be surprised if Leicester slip

Were well in it
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #569: Apr 21, 2021 08:03:11 pm
      Pathetic second half performance by Saints they completely bent over for Spurs.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,438 posts | 1463 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #570: Apr 21, 2021 08:24:25 pm
      Watch City feck it up now and let Utd win the league.... fitting end to a sh*t fu**ed up season.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #571: Apr 21, 2021 09:12:00 pm
      Watch City feck it up now and let Utd win the league.... fitting end to a sh*t fu**ed up season.

More likely that us beating united would confirm city as champions.
      Milner penalty in injury time.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #572: Apr 22, 2021 08:30:10 pm
      Leicester going 6 ahead of us with a better goal difference.

They've got a tough last three but hard to see how we can get ahead of them so looks like just one spot up for grabs now.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #573: Apr 22, 2021 08:36:35 pm
      Leicester going 6 ahead of us with a better goal difference.

They've got a tough last three but hard to see how we can get ahead of them so looks like just one spot up for grabs now.

Theyā€™ve got an easy next 3 fixtures aswell. I think they may have done just enough this time to finish there.

So as you said itā€™s 1 spot between 4 teams. Tottenham have an easy set of fixtures coming up and despite their shortcomings at the moment, it is difficult to see then dropping too many points.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #574: Apr 22, 2021 10:04:55 pm
      Theyā€™ve got an easy next 3 fixtures aswell. I think they may have done just enough this time to finish there.

So as you said itā€™s 1 spot between 4 teams. Tottenham have an easy set of fixtures coming up and despite their shortcomings at the moment, it is difficult to see then dropping too many points.

There are no easy fixtures this season. Spurs could easily drop points. A draw between West ham and Chelsea would be the best result for us also.

Quick Reply