Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Utd?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.8%)
       Fabinho
      2 (2.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      9 (12.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.8%)
      James Milner
      4 (5.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      3 (4.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      8 (11.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      41 (56.9%)
      Rhys Williams
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: Jan 28, 2021 06:53:31 pm

Manchester United 3-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21956 times
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Re: Manchester United 3-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Jan 24, 2021 07:35:38 pm
      It’s the halfway point in the season and we’re six points off the top - we are still very much in it ... lots of other teams are too of course but we are as well

Come on, seriously?I never give up on our team/club but if as Jürgen says we are not in the market for a CB then we have little chance of the title,Jürgen will do extremely well to get us top 4.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #576: Jan 24, 2021 07:36:49 pm
      Much improved performance today. I saw hunger in the players that hadn't been there for a while.
      Can't blame Rhys for being thrown into a game of this magnitude at such a young age, and can't blame Klopp got playing him.

Good post and true. You have the injuries we have and you don’t react to it. Things like today are the result of it.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #577: Jan 24, 2021 07:37:56 pm
      Much improved performance today. I saw hunger in the players that hadn't been there for a while.
      Can't blame Rhys for being thrown into a game of this magnitude at such a young age, and can't blame Klopp got playing him.

Feel bad on Rhys, he’s not at this level yet. Not many centre backs play in the top flight at 19. Carragher didn’t become a centre back until later in his career and I remember Gomez started out at right back when he was Rhys Williams age.

He’s gone from playing for Kidderminster to playing 5 games in the champions league, 1 in the league against spurs, and today. Huge step up in quality. The owners won’t care though they couldn’t be bothered by the success of the team once their pockets are being lined.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #578: Jan 24, 2021 07:38:05 pm
      Thiago was soft for Burnleys goal and he ducked for the free kick. Dont need that right now. Keeper should save that 100 out of 100 for me though. Was only ever going keepers side.

Some positives we scored and played okay. United play in momemts and in those moments took advantage. We remain a a superior side but with no centre halves.

All very silly but its the way FSG want to play it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #579: Jan 24, 2021 07:38:08 pm
      Brought him down? Barely contact and certainly not enough to go down. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. Within 5 seasons, there’ll be no contact at all in the game and the only way a team will regain possession will be through misplaced passes...

You want to see that?

Same with Manes rackle, brilliant tackle, ref gives the free, killing the game
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #580: Jan 24, 2021 07:41:00 pm
      It’s the halfway point in the season and we’re six points off the top - we are still very much in it ... lots of other teams are too of course but we are as well

Haha fair play to you mate I wish i could take that tone.

The title however is not on the agenda. Top 4 is going to be very difficult for us. We need to start winning some games.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #581: Jan 24, 2021 07:44:41 pm
      To be a bit critical on Thiago but if jumped at the end of the wall, he clears the ball and there is no goal.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #582: Jan 24, 2021 07:45:24 pm
      Some signs of life but without CB reinforcements this season is likely to Peter out.

Fab as well as he has done but giving away the pointless free kick and culpable in the penalty against Burnley showing he is not a CB.

As for Williams oh dear.

So how much do we spend and on who. VvD is coming back possibly even this season and Gomez will be back as well next season. If wee go all in and spend 30-50 million on a player do they decide they want a big upgrade on Gomez or do we spend that much on someone who'll be third choice or maybe 4th behind Matip when Gomez does return. 
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #583: Jan 24, 2021 07:45:39 pm
      Same with Manes rackle, brilliant tackle, ref gives the free, killing the game

And yet earlier in the season, Pickford assaults VVD and gets away with it. WTF is so hard about officiating when you have access to action replay from a zillion angles AND STILL GET IT WRONG?!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #584: Jan 24, 2021 07:46:09 pm
      To be a bit critical on Thiago but if jumped at the end of the wall, he clears the ball and there is no goal.

Could say if Alisson positioned himself like any keeper should.................
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #585: Jan 24, 2021 07:47:16 pm
      Brought him down? Barely contact and certainly not enough to go down. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. Within 5 seasons, there’ll be no contact at all in the game and the only way a team will regain possession will be through misplaced passes...

You want to see that?

Cavani did exactly what the Burnleys shithouser did. Both entitled to do it when defender goes to ground and doesnt get the ball. No need to lunge in there.

Fabinho has been decent at the back for us but how many fouls has he give away now that have lead to goals  trying to nick balls that a proper centre half knows not to go for?

Midfielders instinct that. The whole thing is ridiculous. A few games back there fair enough as a bit of cover. To be the main center back? Nah not for me.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #586: Jan 24, 2021 07:49:29 pm
      So how much do we spend and on who. VvD is coming back possibly even this season and Gomez will be back as well next season. If wee go all in and spend 30-50 million on a player do they decide they want a big upgrade on Gomez or do we spend that much on someone who'll be third choice or maybe 4th behind Matip when Gomez does return. 

Any prem team you can name has 4 centre halves minimum.

Except Liverpool. And Matip misses half of every season as it is.

Scrimping out in that area has cost us any league title hopes.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #587: Jan 24, 2021 07:50:15 pm

Weird isn't the word for where he was positioned for that.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #588: Jan 24, 2021 07:51:33 pm
      Cavani did exactly what the Burnleys shithouser did. Both entitled to do it when defender goes to ground and doesnt get the ball. No need to lunge in there.

Fabinho has been decent at the back for us but how many fouls has he give away now that have lead to goals  trying to nick balls that a proper centre half knows not to go for?

Midfielders instinct that. The whole thing is ridiculous. A few games back there fair enough as a bit of cover. To be the main center back? Nah not for me.

Once again, decision completely incorrect. Barnes initiated contact AFTER he’d already shot wide. Quite how get awarded a pen for missing is beyond me. As for Cavani, he was already going down. Felt contact, made a meal of it, ref bought it all too willingly. If we’re down this road, the rules of the game need to be changed to stipulate it’s no longer deemed a contact sport.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #589: Jan 24, 2021 07:56:49 pm
      I remember from around the mid 90s for years November was a disaster of a month for us, this month has just been bizzare and become our November of the pasr

1 more week of it and then were free to win all our other games. Good night
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #590: Jan 24, 2021 07:57:59 pm
      Would it be worse to gave played sh*te and had nil after our name again?

Nobody is celebrating a loss or looking for moral victories but being wise enough to see that was much better then the past 5 games and can allow for further improvement on Thursday

Oh I'm not saying you're wrong, you aren't. It's basically how I felt after the game. However, its sort of a sad reality atm. Injuries to Jota, VVD, and Gomez, along with poor form by TAA, Firmino and Mane have all led to this. Just massively disappointed b/c I feelvthe cup was the best chance at a title.

Oh well, half a season to go
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #591: Jan 24, 2021 07:59:50 pm

Ali guesses wrong a ton on free kicks and pens
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #592: Jan 24, 2021 08:01:09 pm
      Any prem team you can name has 4 centre halves minimum.

Except Liverpool. And Matip misses half of every season as it is.

Scrimping out in that area has cost us any league title hopes.

That for me was an issue that should have been dealt  with during the summer window. But now we'd struggle to get the quality required and I refer to my post about spending that much now on a 3rd or 4th choice potentially. January is never a good time to buy in my opinion. I just hope that if they don't buy then it's a football management decision rather than FSG shutting the bank.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #593: Jan 24, 2021 08:03:08 pm
      The whole thing about not spending on a CB should be immaterial, considering Liverpool already know that to compete, you have to spend the money, ala VVD and Allison coming in. Both our main CB’s are out. Matip, although decent, can’t be relied on to stay fit. It goes without saying, competition for those positions are needed to stay in front. They haven’t done this and now it’s come back to bite them on the arse. Perhaps they’re happy to just write off this season as owners and go again when back to full strength. Owners and fans probably look at this completely differently however...
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #594: Jan 24, 2021 08:04:05 pm
      Thought Gini poor today bullied at times by Pogba created nothing offensively and lost possession  too much .
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #595: Jan 24, 2021 08:04:49 pm
      Thought Gini poor today bullied at times by Pogba created nothing offensively and lost possession  too much .

Looked weary to me tbh. Relied upon far too much...

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #596: Jan 24, 2021 08:08:44 pm
      If we don't make CL it will be a financial catastrophe for fsg. The loss will have to be recovered and a big player will be sold and not replaced.

This is what happens when you take risks at the start of the season. 3 cbs , 2 of them injury prone. No preseason and alot of games squeezed in to a shorter season. It was madness then and its a joke having gotten to January its not been addressed.

The financial loss and long term consequences will be alot worse if we don't make top 4 than buying a quality cb in the summer or this month would have been. Madness. Kane son bale and moura will be licking their lips with our defence and high line. Hope matip is back and hendo as well.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #597: Jan 24, 2021 08:13:32 pm
      Feel sorry for young Rhys, yes he made errors and at the moment not polished enough for Premier league , When the subs were made it seemed obvious we had settled for the result and tried to save some tired legs .We did make an improvement tonight and looked quite threatening at times ,hard to lose to the mancs but a definite shift in performance .Minamino deserves a run out ,he's more likely to score than Origi .

Quick Reply