Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Utd?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.8%)
       Fabinho
      2 (2.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      9 (12.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.8%)
      James Milner
      4 (5.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      3 (4.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      8 (11.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      41 (56.9%)
      Rhys Williams
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: Jan 28, 2021 06:53:31 pm

Manchester United 3-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21963 times
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Re: Manchester United 3-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Jan 24, 2021 10:00:50 pm
      We need to sign a CB like Ake.

A young CB with plenty of experience and quality who won't mind being back up at times.

Shame we didn't go for him in the Summer but we were too busy haggling over a few quid for a backup LB.

Upamecano is available for £37.5m in the summer from Leipzig and looks perfect for the way we play but their are a couple of options in this window,Kabak from Schalke 04 and Botman from Lille who both need the funds so we may get them for around 15-20m.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #622: Jan 24, 2021 10:07:12 pm
      It was a massive gamble to go in with 3 centre backs like we did of. Especially when two of them we knew would pick up injuries. Yes VVD's you can't plan for but Gomez has had an injury every season and Matip well he's Matip. It's one thing going in with three centre backs but it's a whole new kind of thing when two of them are Matip and Gomez.

I understand we had a limited budget so I'm not saying we should have spent 40m on one but I'd have either kept Lovren around or used his money on a stop gap centre half and gambled on Robbo being ok (which is more likely than Matip) and used Milner as cover there.

Either way though, we took the gamble and it's backfired. What's worse is Jürgen now not being given some money to go fix it. Just give it him for fucks sake, FSG will get it back in the summer if that signing helps keep us in the top four.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #623: Jan 24, 2021 10:09:28 pm
      He said MOST others but I'll name you a few.

Chelsea: Thiago Silva, Christiansen, Rudiger, Zouma, Azpi can play cb.

Leicester: Fofana, Soyuncu, Evans, Morgan and Fuchs can play cb.

Spurs: Alder, Sanchez, Dier, Tunganga and Rodon.

There's your 5 for each team you quoted

Dier a CM so like Fab then , Tunganaga weary probably on a par with our 4 and 5 CB and a young pup just signed
      Leicester Morgan can hardly walk never mind run and pissoff with Fuchs as a CB

Chelsea 4  proper CBS aspi as you say in  back 3
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #624: Jan 24, 2021 10:09:50 pm
      Upamecano is available for £37.5m in the summer from Leipzig and looks perfect for the way we play but their are a couple of options in this window,Kabak from Schalke 04 and Botman from Lille who both need the funds so we may get them for around 15-20m.

I think the issue now is that clubs know how desperate we are for a CB so will try to fleece us. FSG know this too so won't entertain a transfer. It's back in the Summer we should have secured a CB after we sold Lovren. Most of our rivals were signing CB's I can't understand why we neglected to.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #625: Jan 24, 2021 10:10:11 pm
      It was a massive gamble to go in with 3 centre backs like we did of. Especially when two of them we knew would pick up injuries. Yes VVD's you can't plan for but Gomez has had an injury every season and Matip well he's Matip. It's one thing going in with three centre backs but it's a whole new kind of thing when two of them are Matip and Gomez.

I understand we had a limited budget so I'm not saying we should have spent 40m on one but I'd have either kept Lovren around or used his money on a stop gap centre half and gambled on Robbo being ok (which is more likely than Matip) and used Milner as cover there.

Either way though, we took the gamble and it's backfired. What's worse is Jürgen now not being given some money to go fix it. Just give it him for fucks sake, FSG will get it back in the summer if that signing helps keep us in the top four.

I don't think Jürgen was ever going to get in the way of Lovren going to get more football.

As you say though was always a massive gamble, most of us said so at the time, that now isn't paying off.

Personally I'd have preferred the stop gap CB as you say especially now that it seems Jürgen is going to flog Robertson to death again.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #626: Jan 24, 2021 10:16:07 pm
      Dier a CM so like Fab then , Tunganaga weary probably on a par with our 4 and 5 CB and a young pup just signed
      Leicester Morgan can hardly walk never mind run and pissoff with Fuchs as a CB

Chelsea 4  proper CBS aspi as you say in  back 3

Dier has made the permanant move to CB. He's also quite a decent CB.

Tunganga is better than Williams and Phillips.

Rodon has played well when called upon.

The key here is NO ONE started the season with three centre backs, with two of them sick notes.

We can't ignore it and it's cost us dearly
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #627: Jan 24, 2021 10:18:32 pm
      It’s pretty clear the likes of Williams and Phillips probably won’t even make it at championship level so there must be dozens of players of a higher calibre across Europe who would come to the champions if just on loan.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #628: Jan 24, 2021 10:21:45 pm
      Dier has made the permanant move to CB. He's also quite a decent CB.

Tunganga is better than Williams and Phillips.

Rodon has played well when called upon.

The key here is NO ONE started the season with three centre backs, with two of them sick notes.

We can't ignore it and it's cost us dearly

Possibly not and as I said a risk and clearly only funds available he prioritised Jota and support for Robbo its backfired but more worrying is ignoring now when it has backfired
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #629: Jan 24, 2021 10:21:46 pm
      I think the issue now is that clubs know how desperate we are for a CB so will try to fleece us. FSG know this too so won't entertain a transfer. It's back in the Summer we should have secured a CB after we sold Lovren. Most of our rivals were signing CB's I can't understand why we neglected to.

We are in a pandemic and some clubs in Europe are in financial trouble and will need/have to sell,FSG won't entertain signing a CB because they don't want to spend ANY money and let's be honest we only brought Allison and VVD because we got the Coutinho money,they have hit the jackpot getting a manager like Jürgen who has worked miracles with the pathetic net spend of 20m per season,their plan will backfire if we don't start winning games because if we slide down the table i can see Jürgen leaving,failing to support Jürgen is a huge mistake.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #630: Jan 24, 2021 10:27:14 pm
      Possibly not and as I said a risk and clearly only funds available he prioritised Jota and support for Robbo its backfired but more worrying is ignoring now when it has backfired

The bigger question is why was he forced to make choices between strengthening attack or defence?

We won the Champions League and he got £0 to spend. After winning the Champions f*****g League.

What does he do? Goes and wins the league.

He then gets handed £70 million and told that's all you're getting. That's £35 million over a two year period.

That's disgusting.

He never should have had to choose whether he wanted to strenghten attack or defence.

He's earned the right to strengthen both
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #631: Jan 24, 2021 10:29:05 pm
      We are 0-2-3 in the games Thiago has started. He hasn't impacted games in bulk the way I thought he would. Certainly impacted parts of games for sure, and has looked class in those spurts. However, he definitely fades as the game goes deeper, gets a little over zealous with tackles, and definitely lacks pace that is noticeable on the oppositions counters. Definitely need him to find his groove. He would thrive with a true CF on the pitch IMO
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #632: Jan 24, 2021 10:30:20 pm
      We are 0-2-3 in the games Thiago has started

Yep it's all on him shocking signing
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #633: Jan 24, 2021 10:32:41 pm
      The bigger question is why was he forced to make choices between strengthening attack or defence?

We won the Champions League and he got £0 to spend. After winning the Champions f*****g League.

He then gets handed £70 million and told that's all you're getting. That's £35 million over a two year period.

That's disgusting.

He never should have had to choose whether he wanted to strenghten attack or defence.

We aren't privy to what goes on was it not Klopps decision to go in with what we had ? Did he ask for a CB and was told no ? I am no fan of the owners but I ain't against as some are sure there are better owners as I am sure there are worse
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #634: Jan 24, 2021 10:33:48 pm
      Spurs: They had Alderweireld and Vertonghen but decided to pay £30m+ for Sanchez and that kid from Swansea as well as moving Dier to permanent CB. Total centre backs: 5.

United: They had Bailly £30m and Lindelof £35m but decided to sign Mcguire for £80m and they have Rojo. Total centre backs: 4 (they will not blink should they need to sign another).

City: They had Stones £50m and Laported £50m+ but decided to spend £20m on Ake and £60m+ on Dias (City aren't a fair comparison) and they have Garcia. Total centre backs: 5.

Chelsea: They had Rudiger, Zouma and Christiensen but still offered Thiago Silva top money to come in. Total centre backs 4 (they will not blink should they need to sign another).

Liverpool: We started the season with Virgil, Gomez (injury prone) and Matip (extremely injury prone). That's ONE centre back we can rely on who happens to get a season ending injury. We find ourselves in a position where both centre backs get season ending injuries. It leaves us with a completely glass centre back Matip and two kids who aren't good enough
       Look at Rhys Williams today. Look at how he was taken advantage of. Look at the mistake for the goal. Look at his positioning. How he was bypassed by the United attack.

These fraud owners have left us in this situation. They've decided to do what NO OTHER Premier League side have done.

I want them gone. People can come along and say "we've won trophies under them etc".

We've always had to sell a star player.

Our manager has done this on a shoe string budget.

£20m net spend. That's ridiculous. They're penny pinching was bound to sting us at some point. It has now.

I've had enough and I want these tight b*stards out of this club
      Yeah
      £70+m VVD
      £60+m Ali
      £53m Naby
      £40m Diogo Jota
      £30m+ Thiago
      £30m Mane, Salah, Ox
      £100m stand extension
      £60m Anny Rd extension coming
      £70m+, Training facilities - state of the art
      Anfield infrastructure
      Tightarses
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #635: Jan 24, 2021 10:37:51 pm

That's disgusting.

I think you'll find that there was a surplus of around 28m from the 19-20 transfers and we had a net spend of 32m from 20-21 so they have spent F**K all,over Jürgen's 5 years Brighton,Fulham and Villa have a higher net spend,none have been in Europe and their average attendances from the 18-19 season are a lot less than ours.These owners are mugging Jürgen off.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #636: Jan 24, 2021 10:41:15 pm
      Yeah
      £70+m VVD
      £60+m Ali
      £53m Naby
      £40m Diogo Jota
      £30m+ Thiago
      £30m Mane, Salah, Ox
      £100m stand extension
      Anfield infrastructure
      Tightarses

Please look at the bigger picture,Jürgen's net spend is 20m per season and we are desperate for a CB to challenge for anything this season,FSG need to give Jürgen some funds.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #637: Jan 24, 2021 10:42:24 pm
      Yeah
      £70+m VVD
      £60+m Ali
      £53m Naby
      £40m Diogo Jota
      £30m+ Thiago
      £30m Mane, Salah, Ox
      £100m stand extension
      Anfield infrastructure
      Tightarses

Quote the outgoings too please.

£135 for Coutinho alone wipes out Virj and Ali
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #638: Jan 24, 2021 10:58:50 pm
      We wouldn’t be any better off with lovren still here. Anybody who thinks so have really short memories. That performance away at spurs a couple of seasons ago was probably the worst performance I’ve ever seen from a Liverpool cb.

We should have replaced him though and going into this season with only three cbs, two of which are injury prone was criminal. We all raised our concerns pre season and we’ve been proven right.

Love or hate the owners, the fact they’ve not gone out and signed a cb when we desperately need one and when our manager who is trusted & brought success to this club has stated he wants one is piss poor to be honest.

Our success in recent years and our low net spend suggests plenty of money should be available. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #639: Jan 24, 2021 11:33:16 pm
      F***ing gutted!

Not used to this losing sh*t!

Wasn't even a FK. What a load of sh*t.

Mo gets wrestled nothing, Divock gets slapped across face, nothing, Gini smacked in face by Pogba..nothing, was watching Ref and he looked at all 3 and gave nothing but you touch these cu*ts, FK every F***ing time!!!!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #640: Jan 24, 2021 11:56:26 pm

I agree, he’s very influential first half but he hits a wall at 60 minutes and frankly has been a passenger. He’s a joy to watch but I feel like he needs Gini and Hendo next to him to do some of his running for him
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #641: Jan 25, 2021 12:02:31 am
      Yeah
      £70+m VVD
      £60+m Ali
      £53m Naby
      £40m Diogo Jota
      £30m+ Thiago
      £30m Mane, Salah, Ox
      £100m stand extension
      Anfield infrastructure
      Tightarses

No point showing just one side of the balance sheet. I was delighted the owners finally busted their dorms policy and allowed the club to go after players with the biggest price tags but it is unlikely they would have done so had it not been for the Coutinho sale.

Some brains need to be applied here. We’ve got Matip unavailable 2 out of every 3, you’ve got two young centre halves who aren’t up to it, proven by the fact weve has Hendo start two games at CB, and our best player this season is another mid playing out of position in the same spot. Get the cheque book out or consign this season to the waste bin. It’s that simple.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #642: Jan 25, 2021 05:04:51 am
      No point showing just one side of the balance sheet. I was delighted the owners finally busted their dorms policy and allowed the club to go after players with the biggest price tags but it is unlikely they would have done so had it not been for the Coutinho sale.

Some brains need to be applied here. We’ve got Matip unavailable 2 out of every 3, you’ve got two young centre halves who aren’t up to it, proven by the fact weve has Hendo start two games at CB, and our best player this season is another mid playing out of position in the same spot. Get the cheque book out or consign this season to the waste bin. It’s that simple.

Wonder what option FSG will take
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #643: Jan 25, 2021 08:43:09 am
      Wonder what option FSG will take

It's staring them in the face. The fact Klopp has started Henderson at CB for 2 recent EPL games tells everything they need to know. The 2 young lads are not up to it and Klopp won't risk them for the biggest games. He'd rather disrupt his midfield further and play the skipper out of position. We've got away with it for a while but now we are also having issues at the other end of the pitch it is really starting to cost us   

Quick Reply