Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

21 for 21: part 2, the most important goals of the century

Read 2065 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      21 for 21: part 2, the most important goals of the century
      Jan 25, 2021 11:15:54 am
      Following on from my 21 for 21 best players its now the 21 most important goals of the 21st century. Initially looked into doing the top 21 goals but that was just impossible.
      Iā€™ve based this solely on importance of the goal not the quality. Iā€™ve included penaltyā€™s but not penalty shootouts. Iā€™ve tried to weigh them up as logically as I can. Feel free to highlight any obvious ones Iā€™ve missed

21) Sami Hyppia: V Juventus Champions league quarter final 2005: An emotional night with it being the first meeting of the clubs since Heysel. Juventus were star studded. Liverpool lined up with Scott Carson in goal and a young Le Tallec in attack. Nerves abound and probably a lot of doubts, up steps big Sami in the 9th minute with a volley. Say no more.

20) Dejan Lovern: V Borrusia Dortmund Europa league quarter final 2016: Perhaps the most obscure goal in the list, we won nothing from it but there was a magic about what this goal brought in the ground that night. Rubber stamped the Klopp era had truly begun. Last minute winners, best way to do it!! I was honoured to have been at it

19) Gary McAllister: V Everton Prem League April 2001: Again, we won nothing directly from this goal but everything about it screams importance At Goodison game up 2-2 every point vital in the battle for the champions league place free kick from 100 yards time up ( might be exaggerating on distance) up steps Gary Macā€¦.This team was feeling invincible, the mindset of the club and  the group of players and fans had changed, and this goal was massive in that.

18) Danny Murphy: V man utd prem league December 2000: Predating Gary Macs by a few months Danny Murphyā€™s winner at old Trafford was massive. We hadnā€™t won there forever. All of a sudden, this new breed of Liverpool were in the backyard of the English and European champions, and winning. The mindset of everyone was changing. Yes, we were not playing the best-looking style, but we were making our mark again, huge goal.

17) Phillipe Coutinho v Man utd Europa league 2016: Again, another goal that didnā€™t win anything or lead to winning anything but knocking them out of Europe on their own patch was lovely

16) Neil Mellor V Olympiacos Champions league December 2004: 2 things rarely, if ever, mentioned about this game, Mellorā€™s header down for Stevieā€™s goal and Mellorā€™s goal which sets us up to go on and win it. Cult hero for me for this game alone, and a massive goal.

15) Florent Sinama Pongolle v Olympiacos Champions league December 2004: Like Mellor, Pongolles goal, and his overall impact when coming on in this game are rarely discussed. I f he doesnā€™t get in the position to score the first well then, the famous 3rd means nothing. His finest moment.

14) Martin Skrtel v Cardiff League cup final 2012:  Why on the list? Our first trophy in 6 years secured via a penalty shoot out which we donā€™t get only for Skrtels equaliser in normal timeā€¦we needed that trophy.

13) Michael Owen v Arsenal FA cup final 2001: ā€œHes won the cup all by his selfā€ The brace from the boy wonder that won us the FA cup in our treble year. That 2nd goal, Bergers lovely pass and the rest is just Owens pace and finishing. We beat a super Arsenal side and the veins were pumping with belief we are well and truly back. Massive goal.

12) Mohamed Salah v Spurs champions league final 2019: Peno in the first minute, you miss what does it do to your mindset? He didnā€™t and we were on the road to number 6

11+10) Divock Origi & Gini Winaldjum v Barcelona champions league quarter final 2019: ok Iā€™m cheating here and putting both in together. Origis 4th needs no words but if Gini doesnā€™t have his brace before it well then Divocks is no impact on the game. What a night, were on the road again

9) Luis Garcia v Chelsea Champions League semi-final 2005: Donā€™t think Id ever seen Anfiled like it was that night. Chelsea were the in team of the time, winning the league and favourites for the champions league, had beaten us in the league cup final earlier that year to. Luis Garcia early strike was enough to progress us through to the final. We were well and truly back.

8 Steven Gerrard v West ham FA cup final 2006:  Surely we are not losing to West ham here and were not losing to Alan Pardewā€¦ā€¦nope, up steps the king with a wonder goal which sets s on the road to winning trophies in 2 consecutive seasons for the first time since 89 + 90, not sure if hats ever been mentioned before?

7) Robbie Fowler v Charlton Premier league 2001: Last day of the season. Win needed to secure champions league. Nerves a plenty, up steps God who had not always featured that season to set us off on our way. 4 nil it finished but that goal steadied any nerves and were back in the European cup after 16 years away.

6) Vladimir Smicer v Ac Milan Champions league final 2005: Stevies got us back to 3-1, next goal is massive. Can we get it, up steps Vladi with a beautiful drive to the bottom corner past Dida. Milan doubts creep in, Liverpool believe is through the roof. Great finish, huge goal

5) Divock Origi V Spurs Champions league final 2019: Nerves were still at play despite leading 1 nil from the off. This goal from DIvock settled the game and confirmed our 6th European cup, not a bad finish either

4) Stevie G v Olympiacos champions league group stage 2004: The rest is history

3) Stevie G V AC Milan champions league final 2005: Its just that lift and glimmer of hope it gives, initially a yes at least we have scored to a hang on can we get another. No keeper was saving it by the way

2) Xabi Alonso v AC Milan champions league final 2005: Misses the penalty but heā€™s in like a flash on the rebound 3-3 whatā€™s going on here at all lads!!! Crazy night

1) Mo Salah v Napoli Champions league group stage 2018: A surprise number 1 and perhaps a big call to make but the reality is if Mo doesnā€™t score and we donā€™t beat Napoli we donā€™t qualify for the knockout and we donā€™t beat Barce 4 nil on the way winning number 6. If that doesnā€™t happen do, we come back strong enough in 2020 to win the league?? For me this is the most important goal Liverpool scored in the 21st century
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2021 11:33:34 am by Brian78 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: 21 for 21: part 2, the most important goals of the century
      Reply #1: Jan 25, 2021 01:20:04 pm
      Following on from my 21 for 21 best players its now the 21 most important goals of the 21st century. Initially looked into doing the top 21 goals but that was just impossible.
      Iā€™ve based this solely on importance of the goal not the quality. Iā€™ve included penaltyā€™s but not penalty shootouts. Iā€™ve tried to weigh them up as logically as I can. Feel free to highlight any obvious ones Iā€™ve missed

21) Sami Hyppia: V Juventus Champions league quarter final 2005: An emotional night with it being the first meeting of the clubs since Heysel. Juventus were star studded. Liverpool lined up with Scott Carson in goal and a young Le Tallec in attack. Nerves abound and probably a lot of doubts, up steps big Sami in the 9th minute with a volley. Say no more.

20) Dejan Lovern: V Borrusia Dortmund Europa league quarter final 2016: Perhaps the most obscure goal in the list, we won nothing from it but there was a magic about what this goal brought in the ground that night. Rubber stamped the Klopp era had truly begun. Last minute winners, best way to do it!! I was honoured to have been at it

19) Gary McAllister: V Everton Prem League April 2001: Again, we won nothing directly from this goal but everything about it screams importance At Goodison game up 2-2 every point vital in the battle for the champions league place free kick from 100 yards time up ( might be exaggerating on distance) up steps Gary Macā€¦.This team was feeling invincible, the mindset of the club and  the group of players and fans had changed, and this goal was massive in that.

18) Danny Murphy: V man utd prem league December 2000: Predating Gary Macs by a few months Danny Murphyā€™s winner at old Trafford was massive. We hadnā€™t won there forever. All of a sudden, this new breed of Liverpool were in the backyard of the English and European champions, and winning. The mindset of everyone was changing. Yes, we were not playing the best-looking style, but we were making our mark again, huge goal.

17) Phillipe Coutinho v Man utd Europa league 2016: Again, another goal that didnā€™t win anything or lead to winning anything but knocking them out of Europe on their own patch was lovely

16) Neil Mellor V Olympiacos Champions league December 2004: 2 things rarely, if ever, mentioned about this game, Mellorā€™s header down for Stevieā€™s goal and Mellorā€™s goal which sets us up to go on and win it. Cult hero for me for this game alone, and a massive goal.

15) Florent Sinama Pongolle v Olympiacos Champions league December 2004: Like Mellor, Pongolles goal, and his overall impact when coming on in this game are rarely discussed. I f he doesnā€™t get in the position to score the first well then, the famous 3rd means nothing. His finest moment.

14) Martin Skrtel v Cardiff League cup final 2012:  Why on the list? Our first trophy in 6 years secured via a penalty shoot out which we donā€™t get only for Skrtels equaliser in normal timeā€¦we needed that trophy.

13) Michael Owen v Arsenal FA cup final 2001: ā€œHes won the cup all by his selfā€ The brace from the boy wonder that won us the FA cup in our treble year. That 2nd goal, Bergers lovely pass and the rest is just Owens pace and finishing. We beat a super Arsenal side and the veins were pumping with belief we are well and truly back. Massive goal.

12) Mohamed Salah v Spurs champions league final 2019: Peno in the first minute, you miss what does it do to your mindset? He didnā€™t and we were on the road to number 6

11+10) Divock Origi & Gini Winaldjum v Barcelona champions league quarter final 2019: ok Iā€™m cheating here and putting both in together. Origis 4th needs no words but if Gini doesnā€™t have his brace before it well then Divocks is no impact on the game. What a night, were on the road again

9) Luis Garcia v Chelsea Champions League semi-final 2005: Donā€™t think Id ever seen Anfiled like it was that night. Chelsea were the in team of the time, winning the league and favourites for the champions league, had beaten us in the league cup final earlier that year to. Luis Garcia early strike was enough to progress us through to the final. We were well and truly back.

8 Steven Gerrard v West ham FA cup final 2006:  Surely we are not losing to West ham here and were not losing to Alan Pardewā€¦ā€¦nope, up steps the king with a wonder goal which sets s on the road to winning trophies in 2 consecutive seasons for the first time since 89 + 90, not sure if hats ever been mentioned before?

7) Robbie Fowler v Charlton Premier league 2001: Last day of the season. Win needed to secure champions league. Nerves a plenty, up steps God who had not always featured that season to set us off on our way. 4 nil it finished but that goal steadied any nerves and were back in the European cup after 16 years away.

6) Vladimir Smicer v Ac Milan Champions league final 2005: Stevies got us back to 3-1, next goal is massive. Can we get it, up steps Vladi with a beautiful drive to the bottom corner past Dida. Milan doubts creep in, Liverpool believe is through the roof. Great finish, huge goal

5) Divock Origi V Spurs Champions league final 2019: Nerves were still at play despite leading 1 nil from the off. This goal from DIvock settled the game and confirmed our 6th European cup, not a bad finish either

4) Stevie G v Olympiacos champions league group stage 2004: The rest is history

3) Stevie G V AC Milan champions league final 2005: Its just that lift and glimmer of hope it gives, initially a yes at least we have scored to a hang on can we get another. No keeper was saving it by the way

2) Xabi Alonso v AC Milan champions league final 2005: Misses the penalty but heā€™s in like a flash on the rebound 3-3 whatā€™s going on here at all lads!!! Crazy night

1) Mo Salah v Napoli Champions league group stage 2018: A surprise number 1 and perhaps a big call to make but the reality is if Mo doesnā€™t score and we donā€™t beat Napoli we donā€™t qualify for the knockout and we donā€™t beat Barce 4 nil on the way winning number 6. If that doesnā€™t happen do, we come back strong enough in 2020 to win the league?? For me this is the most important goal Liverpool scored in the 21st century

I know this is for fun and I appreciate your work on this and the other similar lists you have put on here. It's a lot of fun to read and discuss....

BUT

"Corner taken quickly" has to be a goal of its own, and it MUST be in the top 5.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2: Jan 25, 2021 01:27:17 pm
      I know this is for fun and I appreciate your work on this and the other similar lists you have put on here. It's a lot of fun to read and discuss....

BUT

"Corner taken quickly" has to be a goal of its own, and it MUST be in the top 5.

In.importance however it only got us to the semis and the corner was the more significant moment, for me anyway
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Jan 25, 2021 11:14:15 pm
      In.importance however it only got us to the semis and the corner was the more significant moment, for me anyway

Got us to the final.

The corner was part of the goal.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #4: Jan 26, 2021 08:35:57 am
      Got us to the final.

The corner was part of the goal.

Of course it did, loss of memory there!!

Again this list is my view and is open to question and comment. Cheers Bobby
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #5: Jan 26, 2021 10:03:58 am
      Can be quite hard to gauge goals in terms of importance as in football the chain of events which lead up an achievement can sometimes be a couple of years long. You can also get goals which seemed like the most important goal you've ever scored when it hits the net but as time goes on they lose importance as you weren't able to capitalize. Coutinho's against Man City in 2014 would be a prime example of that.

I'd give an honourable mention to Firmino's late half volley against Stoke to put us ahead in Spring 2017. That win was integral in us qualifying for the 2017/2018 Champions League which a lot of people would probably say was the beginning of this team's journey. Think we were trailing up until the 75th minute and like most trips away to Stoke it was a scrappy performance were we weren't at our best. Coutinho levelled it then a few minutes later Firmino scored an absolute worldie from the edge of the box, setting us on our way to a top four finish.

Think a goal from last season's Premier League campaign would need to be included as well, although it's hard to choose one because we were so far ahead from quite early on, goals didn't really feel that important due to the massive cushion we'd given ourselves if we did happen to slip up. One which does stand out to me more than though is Mane's late winner away at Villa. The season was still in its' infancy at that point and I think that particular goal really gave us the belief to kick on and raised confidence levels to an all-time high
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Jan 26, 2021 10:06:45 am
      Of course it did, loss of memory there!!

Again this list is my view and is open to question and comment. Cheers Bobby

Fun stuff for sure. Question: would the own goal that won us the 2001 UEFA Cup be eligible?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2021 10:09:23 am
      Fun stuff for sure. Question: would the own goal that won us the 2001 UEFA Cup be eligible?

Ha ha, good question, but well keep.it Liverpool players.....maybe the next one will be best assists and Ill add Gary macs free for that goal

Quick Reply