Trending Topics

Next match: Sheff Utd v LFC [Premier League] Sun 28th Feb @ 7:15 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Bramall Lane

Today is the 26th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D4 L9

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      25 (58.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      7 (16.3%)
      Nat Phillips
      9 (20.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (2.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: Feb 07, 2021 10:06:10 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 5095 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,965 posts | 2046 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #500: Feb 04, 2021 07:54:33 am
      Feel even worse this morning, how can we go from being the best in the world at home to one of the worst in the space of a month
      weareliverpool
      • Forum John Barnes

• 423 posts | 73 
      Reply #501: Feb 04, 2021 08:03:19 am

Agree,they were truly awful,what does this midfield bring to the table against the lesser teams without Fab and Hendo?I think Gini is already on the plane and would have been sent off if Jürgen hadn't taken him off,how milly played 90 minutes i'll never know and as for Thiago he runs around like a headless chicken(was brought in to unlock the bus parkers defences??) against the bigger teams he looks mustard but the smaller teams looks average at best,that was by far our worst performance of the season,Jürgen said we would attack retaining the title but with all the players unable to get up for the so called easier teams,clueless against the bus parkers and crying off with the slightest niggles,add to that our tactics and team selection on some occasions have been baffling,everyone knows it seems except Jürgen how Burnley,WBA,Newcastle,Southampton(who just let in 9 but we couldn't score 1 against),Fulham and Brighton(the better team twice against us) play as we have played right into the their hands.We are competing for top 4 now so Jürgen please play Fab and Hendo in midfield and CB's in the CB's positions the structure/balance of the team is not right.Time for Milly,OX,Matip,Origi(i'd rather have Shane Long up front) and Shaq to be moved on in the summer.This is the worst defence of the title by Liverpool i've ever seen.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,952 posts | 3371 
      Reply #502: Feb 04, 2021 08:13:18 am
      Klopp was right in his presser last night we just look fatigued. Zero movement in midfield and up top, too many static players.

Probably not helped by Jürgen insistence on picking the same players, Robbo being an example he must have the most minutes played under his belt and has looked fazed for a while now. What is old man Milner doing playing ahead of Jones who at least has the ability to run at deep lying defences.

Can’t really do much about the injuries but boy do we miss VVD not just defensively but the number of goals he scored from set pieces,
      It was obvious again last night that Trent was playing much deeper than normal to look after Phillips and maybe Robbo was doing the same but didn’t notice as much, nullifying one of our primary creative outlets.

Need mental and physical alertness as well as the right players in their correct positions to beat low block teams.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,365 posts | 1138 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #503: Feb 04, 2021 08:19:02 am

Right ... im going to be controversial here. Mentality monsters??? I'm sick of players crying off injured this season .... sick of it. Little niggle here, little niggle there. Slight muscle problem here ... little tweak there. Now its tummy ache .... fed up with it. They have not got the desire to retain this title. They don't want it badly enough. Great teams do it over and over ... this team have not just fluffed their lines in this title defence ... they have bottled it. They can't get themselves up for Burnley West brom Fulham Newcastle Brighton and Southampton. They only show up for the big games.

Fighting for this title? They have not got it in them ...4th place isn't in them on that show. That was pathetic tonight. If we get 4th it will only be because the others can't string enough wins together.

Yep!! Your right!! It's controversial.

Would you be saying the same thing if you had a fully fit squad?? (please answer )
      Have you forgotten we're going through a pandemic ?
      Do you realise players are having to play twice  a week and more sometimes.
      What is happening is across the board in the premier league with maybe City the exception due to debt in squad is quite incredible.

Bottled it is a strong word, well least it is with your experience players.  Maybe the youth that's been forced  into the side havent been at the level required but I certainly wouldn't use the word bottle.

Some of you lads give up to easily, you've only played 22 games and still a long way to go. Beat City weekend and your 4 points behind.... Yes I know they have a game in hand but the points not in the bag just yet.

Can you imagine if Klopp had the attitude of some of you lot? You'd never win f**k all because some of you are sprinters. In my life time I've only ever seen marathon runners win the Premier League.

• Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 15 
      Reply #504: Feb 04, 2021 08:33:27 am
      There's no problem, only some here piss against the wind, as usual when the times get rough.

Proof: Look at our goals scored. We are 2nd best, even better than City. So offense is not a problem as it might seem. Look at goals taken. We have 25, City has 13! Obviously losing our three first CB's is the main reason. So that simple stat of goals tells u that only our defense is wrong and every Liverpool fan knows that this is due to injuries of our three top CB's. It's ridiculous to have some plan B in case your three best defenders drop. You just have to trust that won't happen or you have to sell your soul to some arabian prince.

We won't win the title (root for City! because of 19-20), we still can try for CL, we must make top 4 in the PL and let's hope next season is a better one. Done.
      LFCexiled
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,404 posts | 1710 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #505: Feb 04, 2021 08:51:22 am
      Mad to think we had 64 points this stage last year. 

Let's be honest here.  Form was dropping since they shut the footy down.  Knew we'd won the league and went through the motions until summer. 

This.

We've been papering over the cracks really since operation f**king restart or whatever it was called. The lads lost their shine, their 'unbeatable' standing as soon as they lost fans in the seats.

Is it because of the pandemic? We won't find out till the seats are full but given Jürgen came in and built a team of mentality monsters to play for and give everything for the fans I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

Can we start a highly ironic null and void campaign now please?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,131 posts | 1702 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #506: Feb 04, 2021 08:55:41 am
      Sad times when your reserve keeper is clear man of the match at home to Brighton
      LFCexiled
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,404 posts | 1710 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #507: Feb 04, 2021 09:02:59 am
      Sad times when your reserve keeper is clear man of the match at home to Brighton

I gave it to the lad but it was more out of exasperation at the outfield lads than his performance.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,131 posts | 1702 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #508: Feb 04, 2021 09:06:29 am
      I gave it to the lad but it was more out of exasperation at the outfield lads than his performance.

Partly but he also made 2 or 3 good saves, no lie it could have been 3 nil
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,066 posts | 3887 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #509: Feb 04, 2021 09:16:41 am
      You're right, it's not Origi's fault for tonight or most of our bad results in the past six weeks. 

But I'm still not sure of the footballing logic behind loaning out Minamino and keeping Origi.  Maybe someone can square that one for me.

Happy to help

https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1356706226894213121?s=19
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,296 posts | 2663 
      Reply #510: Feb 04, 2021 09:23:17 am
      Klopp on tonight's game:

"First and foremost, Brighton won the game and rightly so, [it was] deserved. They were fresher than us tonight and did more good things than we did. We lost too many easy balls. The best way to defend Brighton is to keep the ball, to play football yourself and when we did that, we had control at least but didn’t create a lot. I said now plenty of times in all the interviews outside, for me the team looked tonight – and it’s long ago we looked like this – fatigued, mentally fatigued and that leads to not the best legs as well. It was a tough week and today we were not fresh enough, that means then [not] good enough to break the formation of Brighton. In the end, they scored a goal, had other chances, we kind of as well, but they scored and that's why they deserved to win."

I agree they looked fatigued but explain to me how a team like Brighton with a much weaker first XI and squad look fresher than us. Also explain how playing a 35 year old makes any sense when you have Curtis and Ox waiting in the wings.

There are more and more questions stacking up against Klopp:

1) Why send Minamino out on loan when you have so few attacking options, and sorry but Origi is NOT a f**king option!!!
      2) Why not formulate a way to defeat low block teams, its not a modern phenomenon in football but Jürgen, supposedly the best manager in the world, has not got a f**king clue how to beat it, he should be utterly embarrassed!
      3) Realise that his normal formation and players only really work if a team plays open football, and have a different set of players who can play against Low Block, That means having midfielders who can run with the ball and Full Backs who can go on overlaps and also drive into the box AT SPEED!!!  It might also be an idea to buy a striker who is tall who can attack crosses, doesn't need to be the best in the world just a different option, imagine an Origi who actually gets on the end of crosses and uses their size as an advantage.

I am sad to say it but I really am starting to lose faith in Klopp, it just seems that his heart is not quite in it any more, I expect a top class manager to be able to solve these challenges but he seems clueless and that is very worrying.

I think Klopp has become insane, if you agree that insanity is doing the same thing  over and over and expecting a different outcome, which it seems he does.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,066 posts | 3887 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #511: Feb 04, 2021 09:26:05 am
      What is old man Milner doing playing ahead of Jones who at least has the ability to run at deep lying defences.

This bit was madness for me, mate. Milner started on Sunday and Klopp said he was always bringing him off as he had felt his hamstring before the game. He then starts him just over 72 hours later, against a side we knew would park the bus, alongside Gini and Thiago. Look, I know the manager is stuck in a lot of areas but that's on him. And don't get me started on his subs.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,435 posts | 2712 
      Reply #512: Feb 04, 2021 09:28:12 am
      I agree they looked fatigued but explain to me how a team like Brighton with a much weaker first XI and squad look fresher than us. Also explain how playing a 35 year old makes any sense when you have Curtis and Ox waiting in the wings.

There are more and more questions stacking up against Klopp:

1) Why send Minamino out on loan when you have so few attacking options, and sorry but Origi is NOT a f**king option!!!
      2) Why not formulate a way to defeat low block teams, its not a modern phenomenon in football but Jürgen, supposedly the best manager in the world, has not got a f**king clue how to beat it, he should be utterly embarrassed!
      3) Realise that his normal formation and players only really work if a team plays open football, and have a different set of players who can play against Low Block, That means having midfielders who can run with the ball and Full Backs who can go on overlaps and also drive into the box AT SPEED!!!  It might also be an idea to buy a striker who is tall who can attack crosses, doesn't need to be the best in the world just a different option, imagine an Origi who actually gets on the end of crosses and uses their size as an advantage.

I am sad to say it but I really am starting to lose faith in Klopp, it just seems that his heart is not quite in it any more, I expect a top class manager to be able to solve these challenges but he seems clueless and that is very worrying.

I think Klopp has become insane, if you agree that insanity is doing the same thing  over and over and expecting a different outcome, which it seems he does.

For one Brighton haven't been chasing down a City side getting pretty much 100 points a season for past four years or so.

You cannot underestimate the effect the last few seasons have had on this side.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,066 posts | 3887 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #513: Feb 04, 2021 09:31:48 am
      For one Brighton haven't been chasing down a City side getting pretty much 100 points a season for past four years or so.

Hmm not sure they're acceptable excuses, mate. Side has needed freshening up for a couple of seasons now. We were incredibly fortunate that our front three remained fit for most of last season which papered over a summer of spending absolutely f**k all
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,296 posts | 2663 
      Reply #514: Feb 04, 2021 09:32:48 am

Would you be saying the same thing if you had a fully fit squad?? (please answer )
      What is happening is across the board in the premier league with maybe City the exception due to debt in squad is quite incredible.

Bottled it is a strong word, well least it is with your experience players.  Maybe the youth that's been forced  into the side havent been at the level required but I certainly wouldn't use the word bottle.

Some of you lads give up to easily, you've only played 22 games and still a long way to go. Beat City weekend and your 4 points behind.... Yes I know they have a game in hand but the points not in the bag just yet.

Can you imagine if Klopp had the attitude of some of you lot? You'd never win f**k all because some of you are sprinters. In my life time I've only ever seen marathon runners win the Premier League.

Ask yourself this Keith, if Fergie went a calendar month without scoring at Old Trafford would he have changed things in the team set up or not?? If the answer is Yes then you can perhaps start to understand the misery we all have this morning.

I kind of suspect though you are laughing your arse off this morning and revelling in our frustration, just another one of the reasons why I hate having a Man Utd fan on this forum, but I'm in the minority it seems! By the way that is nothing personal against you, you do seem like a nice enough bloke.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,296 posts | 2663 
      Reply #515: Feb 04, 2021 09:33:56 am
      There's no problem, only some here piss against the wind, as usual when the times get rough.

Proof: Look at our goals scored. We are 2nd best, even better than City. So offense is not a problem as it might seem. Look at goals taken. We have 25, City has 13! Obviously losing our three first CB's is the main reason. So that simple stat of goals tells u that only our defense is wrong and every Liverpool fan knows that this is due to injuries of our three top CB's. It's ridiculous to have some plan B in case your three best defenders drop. You just have to trust that won't happen or you have to sell your soul to some arabian prince.

We won't win the title (root for City! because of 19-20), we still can try for CL, we must make top 4 in the PL and let's hope next season is a better one. Done.

We have one point from the bottom six teams and you claim there is no problem!!!! WOW
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,296 posts | 2663 
      Reply #516: Feb 04, 2021 09:36:55 am

Are you suggesting that fatigue persisted even during the first lockdown, how is that possible, I get the mental fatigue, but physical fatigue, nah, not having that sorry! There is no reason why our players shod be more fatigued than others, especially since all of them have been out injured at various points in the season.
      TameImpala
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,824 posts | 952 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #517: Feb 04, 2021 09:37:45 am

Kopite Keith bang on the money!
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,435 posts | 2712 
      Reply #518: Feb 04, 2021 09:43:50 am
      Are you suggesting that fatigue persisted even during the first lockdown, how is that possible, I get the mental fatigue, but physical fatigue, nah, not having that sorry!

I should have clarified that it is mental fatigue I'm talking about. I think we're a bit spent in that regard.

Hmm not sure they're acceptable excuses, mate. Side has needed freshening up for a couple of seasons now. We were incredibly fortunate that our front three remained fit for most of last season which papered over a summer of spending absolutely f**k all

Agree with this as well by the way.

I think this side has reached its peak and does need a bit of freshening up. The previous summer should have seen that started and we kind of got away with it and I think we're seeing the impact this has had on this group of players now.

The ridiculous injury list hasn't helped as well but for me the biggest issue, leaving aside transfers for a moment, is that we are a side that is mentally drained from constant chasing which needed constant perfection just to overhaul City.

We seen it with City to a certain extent last season as they were dropping more points than usual after a couple of seasons of relentless football.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,296 posts | 2663 
      Reply #519: Feb 04, 2021 09:47:02 am
      I should have clarified that it is mental fatigue I'm talking about. I think we're a bit spent in that regard.

Agree with this as well by the way.

I think this side has reached its peak and does need a bit of freshening up. The previous summer should have seen that started and we kind of got away with it and I think we're seeing the impact this has had on this group of players now.

The ridiculous injury list hasn't helped as well but for me the biggest issue, leaving aside transfers for a moment, is that we are a side that is mentally drained from constant chasing which needed constant perfection just to overhaul City.

We seen it with City to a certain extent last season as they were dropping more points than usual after a couple of seasons of relentless football.

Fair enough, but a lot of that is on Klopp, freshening up also means evolving the tactics, but we are stuck in Plan A, its very frustrating.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,365 posts | 1138 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #520: Feb 04, 2021 09:56:46 am
      Ask yourself this Keith, if Fergie went a calendar month without scoring at Old Trafford would he have changed things in the team set up or not?? If the answer is Yes then you can perhaps start to understand the misery we all have this morning.

I kind of suspect though you are laughing your arse off this morning and revelling in our frustration, just another one of the reasons why I hate having a Man Utd fan on this forum, but I'm in the minority it seems! By the way that is nothing personal against you, you do seem like a nice enough bloke.

Fergie never went thought a pandemic.
      I might stand corrected but don't think Fergie played as many games in such a short space of time.
      Pretty sure Fergie not had as many first team injuries but if he did we've nearly alaways had a better back up bench than Livepool.

You really need to get over the manc thing as it sounds like its doing you no good. Seriously try the ignore button it will help you enjoy the forum a bit more. Trust me it works coz I have a couple on ignore and it makes for a better reading.

heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,296 posts | 2663 
      Reply #521: Feb 04, 2021 10:11:21 am
      Fergie never went thought a pandemic.
      I might stand corrected but don't think Fergie played as many games in such a short space of time.
      Pretty sure Fergie not had as many first team injuries but if he did we've nearly alaways had a better back up bench than Livepool.

You really need to get over the manc thing as it sounds like its doing you no good. Seriously try the ignore button it will help you enjoy the forum a bit more. Trust me it works coz I have a couple on ignore and it makes for a better reading.

Oh come on man, you know damn well Fergie would have changed things, he would not just play exactly the same ineffective tactics in game after game after game, if you disagree then I really think you might be on a wind up here!

BTW I am against putting anyone on ignore Keith, but I do find it irritating to have a supporter of the team I dislike more than any other regularly posting on a Liverpool forum, I'm not sure why that is considered so odd or controversial!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,365 posts | 1138 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #522: Feb 04, 2021 10:17:47 am
      Oh come on man, you know damn well Fergie would have changed things, he would not just play exactly the same ineffective tactics in game after game after game, if you disagree then I really think you might be on a wind up here!

BTW I am against putting anyone on ignore Keith, but I do find it irritating to have a supporter of the team I dislike more than any other regularly posting on a Liverpool forum, I'm not sure why that is considered so odd or controversial!

I wish I knew what Fergie thoughts are, I'd of been a very rich man if I did and of been a world class manager.  ;D

There's nothing else I can say re Mancs being on here. You've stated your opinion and everyone well aware of it.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,435 posts | 2712 
      Reply #523: Feb 04, 2021 10:19:16 am

If you don't like him posting on here don't f**king reply to him then.

He's been posting on here long before you arrived, hasn't broken any rules, and if the Mods didn't want him on here he'd be banned.

Get over it.
      « Last Edit: Feb 04, 2021 10:31:30 am by srslfc »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,952 posts | 3371 
      Reply #524: Feb 04, 2021 10:19:55 am
      If as a lot of the sensible supporters were saying we got in the CB reinforcements early they may well have been integrated by now and we could have got Our more dynamic midfielders back into position.

Along with that possibly getting the full backs back up high providing the creativity rather than babysitting.

Quick Reply