Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      25 (58.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      7 (16.3%)
      Nat Phillips
      9 (20.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (2.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: Feb 07, 2021 10:06:10 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18061 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Feb 03, 2021 11:22:06 pm
      Klopp on tonight's game:

"First and foremost, Brighton won the game and rightly so, [it was] deserved. They were fresher than us tonight and did more good things than we did. We lost too many easy balls. The best way to defend Brighton is to keep the ball, to play football yourself and when we did that, we had control at least but didn’t create a lot. I said now plenty of times in all the interviews outside, for me the team looked tonight – and it’s long ago we looked like this – fatigued, mentally fatigued and that leads to not the best legs as well. It was a tough week and today we were not fresh enough, that means then [not] good enough to break the formation of Brighton. In the end, they scored a goal, had other chances, we kind of as well, but they scored and that's why they deserved to win."
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #484: Feb 03, 2021 11:24:12 pm
      Team looks shattered.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #485: Feb 03, 2021 11:24:51 pm
      Klopp on tonight's game:

"First and foremost, Brighton won the game and rightly so, [it was] deserved. They were fresher than us tonight and did more good things than we did. We lost too many easy balls. The best way to defend Brighton is to keep the ball, to play football yourself and when we did that, we had control at least but didn’t create a lot. I said now plenty of times in all the interviews outside, for me the team looked tonight – and it’s long ago we looked like this – fatigued, mentally fatigued and that leads to not the best legs as well. It was a tough week and today we were not fresh enough, that means then [not] good enough to break the formation of Brighton. In the end, they scored a goal, had other chances, we kind of as well, but they scored and that's why they deserved to win."

Honest assessment from the boss.

We looked wrecked the team badly needs some rotation when we bed in the new lads and get some players back from injury.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #486: Feb 03, 2021 11:30:28 pm

We looked wrecked the team badly needs some rotation when we bed in the new lads and get some players back from injury.

Later in the presser Klopp mentioned having played just Sunday, and how we'll have an additional day to recover before the City match.

The only thing I'd add to that is that Brighton last played on Sunday as well.

So you could argue that aside from injuries, we're carrying a number of players in the squad who are really offering very little to our prospects of success this year. No need to get into the player-by-player argument about who this is true of, but it can undercut the benefit of rotation if the guys to be rotated in just repeatedly fail to deliver.

scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #487: Feb 03, 2021 11:32:18 pm
      Far too many players injured,its time to start a pay per play contract ,players are on far to much money now to sit in the stand ,maybe that will get some off the injury list and start earning their money
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #488: Feb 03, 2021 11:33:48 pm
      Haven't beaten Brighton twice, Burnley, West Brom nor Fulham this season, clear out time in the Summer I think!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #489: Feb 03, 2021 11:34:34 pm
      Given how Jürgen has been complaining about the schedule and then he goes anc plays Milner for like his 3rd straight start.

Curtis may not have done any better but at least Jimmy would have got a rest against one of the lower teams.
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #490: Feb 04, 2021 12:59:49 am
      Awful performance, awful result. Didn’t see it coming at all, especially after our two impressive results recently against spurs and West Ham. I thought our blip was over and we would put a run together and push for the title but I’ve accepted thats over for us now and I feel a bit silly saying it was still on only a week or two ago. The boys really let us down tonight. It was just a shocking performance.

It’s gotten to the point now where I don’t think we can blame any player(s) for this poor form of ours. The responsibility lies with klopp. We’ve had several of these games where the opposition sit in and we dominate possession but we create next to nothing. Did we even manage a shot on target tonight? At home to Brighton? Come on. That’s piss poor that.

It’s so frustrating to watch. I know it’s difficult to play against ten man defences but theres just no urgency about us at all. It’s too slow. It’s predictable. Easy to defend against. And we have no plan B either when it was clear from ten minutes in that we would struggle. We play the same way and with the same system so is it any wonder we get the same outcome? That game tonight was more or less identical to the Burnley one.

Klopps got to change and mix it up. Try something new. Move salah into a more central position. Or tell him to hog the touch line and then drive into the box when he receives the ball and look for a penalty perhaps. Take a man out of the midfield three and play an attacking four instead. Just do something. Anything. Because plan A isn’t working.

Ive seen a few posts criticising a couple of players tonight, in particular origi and ox. Very harsh in my opinion. Very difficult to make an impact in that game with those tactics. Both only had about 20-25 minutes to do so and they’ve been blasted by reds because they couldn’t win the game for us basically, when the whole team was absolutely sh*te.

I’ve also seen people talk about Thiago and I’ve brought this up a couple of times on the forum recently. I don’t think he had a good game tonight to be honest but i still think he’s been very good for us in general and that our low win percentage whenever he starts is just a weird, freakish co-incidence. Not basing this on tonight, but at times he just looks head and shoulders above every other player on the pitch to me.

Motm was kelleher. Could have been embarrassing if it wasn’t for him. Couldn’t do anything for the goal and he made 2 or 3 good stops.

Awful night for us. Really gutted.

Good post bud, i always thinking adding an extra midfielder is the way to go when teams sit back behind the ball like Burnley and Brighton. Especially when a front three is being played and being stifled. Drop a forward extra man in midfield push up and stretch the defence and create space for a through ball. Hell even one forward and five in midfield.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #491: Feb 04, 2021 01:06:30 am
      Far too many players injured,its time to start a pay per play contract ,players are on far to much money now to sit in the stand ,maybe that will get some off the injury list and start earning their money

But then you’re going to get the problem of players saying they’re fit when they’re not. Players are going to get injuries or feel tired if they play every week.

For the modern game, a club the size of ours who competes in several competitions, you need a big squad consisting of 22 internationals, covering each position. We don’t have that. Not even close.

I know we can’t compete with city financially but just compare the two squads. They have depth everywhere. It reduces their chances of injuries. Look at Foden this season. He plays one week and then he’s benched the next. Whenever he’s benched, Mahrez comes in for him. But the difference between the two is very little, they’re both quality players and they’re on par with each other.

We don’t have competition for places. Just look at the state of our bench tonight. You could argue Brighton had a stronger bench than us.

We have no decent back up keeper and considering our first choice has a habit of missing a dozen games or so every season then this needs addressing. A bit harsh on kelleher because he’s done alright but because alisson misses so many games then we need a proper backup premierleague keeper.

The only cover we have for Trent is neco. A huge drop off in quality between the two.

We went into this season with only Matip as cover for our cbs and as we know, he is made of glass. Hopefully the two lads we’ve just brought in are decent. But going into the season competing in four competitions with only three cbs was criminal and we only have ourselves to blame for the mess we’re in.

Tsimikas is the only cover for robbo. He’s injured so we have no idea if he’s any good yet.

In midfield we have plenty of options. Fabinho, Hendo, gini, milner, ox, Thiago, Jones. Normally that would be enough to get us through the season and there’s enough quality there too but Thiago and ox have both had lengthy times in the medical room and Fabinho and Hendo have played at the back.

We have no proper cover for the front three other than Jota. Again, that’s criminal. We’ve gone into another season with origi, minamino (before he left), and Shaq as our other backup options and it isn’t good enough. Let’s be honest, they’re bottom 6 prem standard.

So for a season where we’ve been hammered with injuries it’s been evident that our squad is 1. Short of players and 2. Not good enough anyway.

Whether it’s klopps decision or FSGs I don’t care but looking ahead to next season, the club have got to bring in better players to seriously fight for places in this team and so when we do make changes, the drop off in quality isn’t as big as what it currently is at the moment.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #492: Feb 04, 2021 01:29:30 am

But he starts Milner in last 3 games. Why?

Gives out all season about all the games and Milner has to start ahead of Jones for all 3 games.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #493: Feb 04, 2021 01:37:59 am
      We went into this season with only Matip as cover for our cbs and as we know, he is made of glass. Hopefully the two lads we’ve just brought in are decent. But going into the season competing in four competitions with only three cbs was criminal and we only have ourselves to blame for the mess we’re in.

Tsimikas is the only cover for robbo. He’s injured so we have no idea if he’s any good yet.

In midfield we have plenty of options. Fabinho, Hendo, gini, milner, ox, Thiago, Jones. Normally that would be enough to get us through the season and there’s enough quality there too but Thiago and ox have both had lengthy times in the medical room and Fabinho and Hendo have played at the back.
      Don’t talk so much sense, you’ll get a certain someone on your case 😂
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #494: Feb 04, 2021 03:41:57 am
      The worst title defence outside of Leicesters in prem history. Injuries ..... yeah yeah yeah. If we had pulled our fingers out in the summer and bought at least 1 cb after lovren left we wouldn't be playing midfielders at the back. 2 new cbs come in ... will he play them against city or will we see midfielders still there? We all know at least one midfielder will be in there when we will have 3 or 4 cbs available.

Right ... im going to be controversial here. Mentality monsters??? I'm sick of players crying off injured this season .... sick of it. Little niggle here, little niggle there. Slight muscle problem here ... little tweak there. Now its tummy ache .... fed up with it. They have not got the desire to retain this title. They don't want it badly enough. Great teams do it over and over ... this team have not just fluffed their lines in this title defence ... they have bottled it. They can't get themselves up for Burnley West brom Fulham Newcastle Brighton and Southampton. They only show up for the big games.

Fighting for this title? They have not got it in them ...4th place isn't in them on that show. That was pathetic tonight. If we get 4th it will only be because the others can't string enough wins together.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #495: Feb 04, 2021 07:04:31 am
      Just throw the 2 new CB’s into position and get Jota back ASAP... problems are upfront .,

Our main problem is midfield.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #496: Feb 04, 2021 07:54:33 am
      Feel even worse this morning, how can we go from being the best in the world at home to one of the worst in the space of a month
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #497: Feb 04, 2021 08:03:19 am

Agree,they were truly awful,what does this midfield bring to the table against the lesser teams without Fab and Hendo?I think Gini is already on the plane and would have been sent off if Jürgen hadn't taken him off,how milly played 90 minutes i'll never know and as for Thiago he runs around like a headless chicken(was brought in to unlock the bus parkers defences??) against the bigger teams he looks mustard but the smaller teams looks average at best,that was by far our worst performance of the season,Jürgen said we would attack retaining the title but with all the players unable to get up for the so called easier teams,clueless against the bus parkers and crying off with the slightest niggles,add to that our tactics and team selection on some occasions have been baffling,everyone knows it seems except Jürgen how Burnley,WBA,Newcastle,Southampton(who just let in 9 but we couldn't score 1 against),Fulham and Brighton(the better team twice against us) play as we have played right into the their hands.We are competing for top 4 now so Jürgen please play Fab and Hendo in midfield and CB's in the CB's positions the structure/balance of the team is not right.Time for Milly,OX,Matip,Origi(i'd rather have Shane Long up front) and Shaq to be moved on in the summer.This is the worst defence of the title by Liverpool i've ever seen.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #498: Feb 04, 2021 08:13:18 am
      Klopp was right in his presser last night we just look fatigued. Zero movement in midfield and up top, too many static players.

Probably not helped by Jürgen insistence on picking the same players, Robbo being an example he must have the most minutes played under his belt and has looked fazed for a while now. What is old man Milner doing playing ahead of Jones who at least has the ability to run at deep lying defences.

Can’t really do much about the injuries but boy do we miss VVD not just defensively but the number of goals he scored from set pieces,
      It was obvious again last night that Trent was playing much deeper than normal to look after Phillips and maybe Robbo was doing the same but didn’t notice as much, nullifying one of our primary creative outlets.

Need mental and physical alertness as well as the right players in their correct positions to beat low block teams.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #499: Feb 04, 2021 08:19:02 am

Right ... im going to be controversial here. Mentality monsters??? I'm sick of players crying off injured this season .... sick of it. Little niggle here, little niggle there. Slight muscle problem here ... little tweak there. Now its tummy ache .... fed up with it. They have not got the desire to retain this title. They don't want it badly enough. Great teams do it over and over ... this team have not just fluffed their lines in this title defence ... they have bottled it. They can't get themselves up for Burnley West brom Fulham Newcastle Brighton and Southampton. They only show up for the big games.

Fighting for this title? They have not got it in them ...4th place isn't in them on that show. That was pathetic tonight. If we get 4th it will only be because the others can't string enough wins together.

Yep!! Your right!! It's controversial.

Would you be saying the same thing if you had a fully fit squad?? (please answer )
      Have you forgotten we're going through a pandemic ?
      Do you realise players are having to play twice  a week and more sometimes.
      What is happening is across the board in the premier league with maybe City the exception due to debt in squad is quite incredible.

Bottled it is a strong word, well least it is with your experience players.  Maybe the youth that's been forced  into the side havent been at the level required but I certainly wouldn't use the word bottle.

Some of you lads give up to easily, you've only played 22 games and still a long way to go. Beat City weekend and your 4 points behind.... Yes I know they have a game in hand but the points not in the bag just yet.

Can you imagine if Klopp had the attitude of some of you lot? You'd never win F**k all because some of you are sprinters. In my life time I've only ever seen marathon runners win the Premier League.

• Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #500: Feb 04, 2021 08:33:27 am
      There's no problem, only some here piss against the wind, as usual when the times get rough.

Proof: Look at our goals scored. We are 2nd best, even better than City. So offense is not a problem as it might seem. Look at goals taken. We have 25, City has 13! Obviously losing our three first CB's is the main reason. So that simple stat of goals tells u that only our defense is wrong and every Liverpool fan knows that this is due to injuries of our three top CB's. It's ridiculous to have some plan B in case your three best defenders drop. You just have to trust that won't happen or you have to sell your soul to some arabian prince.

We won't win the title (root for City! because of 19-20), we still can try for CL, we must make top 4 in the PL and let's hope next season is a better one. Done.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #501: Feb 04, 2021 08:55:41 am
      Sad times when your reserve keeper is clear man of the match at home to Brighton
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #502: Feb 04, 2021 09:06:29 am
      I gave it to the lad but it was more out of exasperation at the outfield lads than his performance.

Partly but he also made 2 or 3 good saves, no lie it could have been 3 nil
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #503: Feb 04, 2021 09:16:41 am
      You're right, it's not Origi's fault for tonight or most of our bad results in the past six weeks. 

But I'm still not sure of the footballing logic behind loaning out Minamino and keeping Origi.  Maybe someone can square that one for me.

Happy to help

https://twitter.com/xxx/status/1356706226894213121?s=19
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #504: Feb 04, 2021 09:23:17 am
      Klopp on tonight's game:

I agree they looked fatigued but explain to me how a team like Brighton with a much weaker first XI and squad look fresher than us. Also explain how playing a 35 year old makes any sense when you have Curtis and Ox waiting in the wings.

There are more and more questions stacking up against Klopp:

1) Why send Minamino out on loan when you have so few attacking options, and sorry but Origi is NOT a F***ing option!!!
      2) Why not formulate a way to defeat low block teams, its not a modern phenomenon in football but Jürgen, supposedly the best manager in the world, has not got a F***ing clue how to beat it, he should be utterly embarrassed!
      3) Realise that his normal formation and players only really work if a team plays open football, and have a different set of players who can play against Low Block, That means having midfielders who can run with the ball and Full Backs who can go on overlaps and also drive into the box AT SPEED!!!  It might also be an idea to buy a striker who is tall who can attack crosses, doesn't need to be the best in the world just a different option, imagine an Origi who actually gets on the end of crosses and uses their size as an advantage.

I am sad to say it but I really am starting to lose faith in Klopp, it just seems that his heart is not quite in it any more, I expect a top class manager to be able to solve these challenges but he seems clueless and that is very worrying.

I think Klopp has become insane, if you agree that insanity is doing the same thing  over and over and expecting a different outcome, which it seems he does.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #505: Feb 04, 2021 09:26:05 am
      What is old man Milner doing playing ahead of Jones who at least has the ability to run at deep lying defences.

This bit was madness for me, mate. Milner started on Sunday and Klopp said he was always bringing him off as he had felt his hamstring before the game. He then starts him just over 72 hours later, against a side we knew would park the bus, alongside Gini and Thiago. Look, I know the manager is stuck in a lot of areas but that's on him. And don't get me started on his subs.

Quick Reply