Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

12th man

Read 3892 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: 12th man
      Reply #23: Feb 09, 2021 09:23:04 pm
      I think it affects all teams to a degree but definitely think it affects us more than most.

Not looking for and excuse but our team and manager really feed off the crowd and vice versa.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #24: Feb 09, 2021 10:07:48 pm
      If you know the rules of the game, you can see why most decisions are made, even if you don't agree with them. I get the whole emotion argument, but emotion doesn't win points or prizes. Decisions win and lose points, therefore they must be correct. We're playing for the most valuable trophies in the sport. Offside is offside, it's not a little bit offside, it's not the benefit of the doubt, it's not a grey area, it's offside. The accuracy % rate of decisions now is well into the high 90's, so there are just a handful of decisions now that I can't justify.

We all want fans in the ground, but unfortunately it's not possible, for reasons that go far beyond sport, and it's something we have no control over. We won 8 of our first 9 home games in an empty Anfield, so we have shown that we can win games in the current circumstances. The games have to be played whether the stadium is full or empty, and we can't just throw the towel in when it's the latter. It's the same for everyone, and it can't be used every time we don't win a game.

I know the rules of the game. Pickfords tackle on VVD was a red. Wasn’t given. And so many off sides are being given when it’s not clear no matter how many times you watch it.
      VAR will get it right, I’m sure, but right now I don’t think it is.

As for empty stadiums, I get why they are emptied and it is the same for every club. But the whole planning for this season has been poor. Injuries are at a record high. 2, sometimes 3 games a week. Some clubs being forced to play u18s in cup tournaments or playing their leg at a neutral ground. Integrity isn’t there at the minute. It’s just money talking.

VAR will improve, that I have no doubt, but this season is a farce. It doesn’t feel right (and Iv been saying this when we were top - it’s not knee jerk).

I mean, what kind of world do we live in where players can squeeze into a coach, squeeze into a changing room, grapple and wrestle for the ball every time there’s a corner..... but can’t celebrate together or shake hands afterwards? That’s basic emotion and without emotion football is like playing football manager on your own.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25: Feb 09, 2021 10:27:53 pm
      I know the rules of the game. Pickfords tackle on VVD was a red. Wasn’t given. And so many off sides are being given when it’s not clear no matter how many times you watch it.

As for empty stadiums, I get why they are emptied and it is the same for every club. But the whole planning for this season has been poor. Injuries are at a record high. 2, sometimes 3 games a week. Some clubs being forced to play u18s in cup tournaments or playing their leg at a neutral ground. Integrity isn’t there at the minute. It’s just money talking.

VAR will improve, that I have no doubt, but this season is a farce. It doesn’t feel right (and Iv been saying this when we were top - it’s not knee jerk).

I mean, what kind of world do we live in where players can squeeze into a coach, squeeze into a changing room, grapple and wrestle for the ball every time there’s a corner..... but can’t celebrate together or shake hands afterwards? That’s basic emotion and without emotion football is like playing football manager on your own.

All throughout the regulating of life under CoVide there have been arbitrary rules posted that defy reason. In American football, normally 3-5 captains for each team come out pregame for the coin toss, but under CoVid only one from each team come out.....prior to the two teams mauling each other at point blank range for 90 minutes. Good job in stopping the pandemic with the coin toss!

But the light is coming...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26: Feb 10, 2021 03:00:12 pm
      I think it affects all teams to a degree but definitely think it affects us more than most.

Not looking for and excuse but our team and manager really feed off the crowd and vice versa.

It's pretty visible in the pace of our play, no urgency or anything.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #27: Feb 10, 2021 03:16:10 pm
      Do you think that the fact there are no fans at Anfield, is maybe having an affect on our teams performances and results at home? Take the Brighton game the crowd and atmosphere may have drove them on to get that vital equalising goal,the roared them on to a last minute winner ,it seems the home games to the lower teams is a great leveler with no fans [Thoughts]

100%
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #28: Feb 11, 2021 11:51:22 pm
      Quote from UncleBob

I mean, what kind of world do we live in where players can squeeze into a coach, squeeze into a changing room, grapple and wrestle for the ball every time there’s a corner..... but can’t celebrate together or shake hands afterwards?

I don't get the emotion about shaking hands. You've just spent 2 hours at war against your opponents, tackles crunching in, elbows flying, rows on the touchline, running arguments on the pitch, passion everywhere. Then the first thing you have to do after the whistle is shake hands. Klopp v Barcelona comes to mind. Its not just a football thing either.

Playing twice a week is routine at this level. Klopp will never agree with me, but imo playing twice a week when we're winning allows us to build serious momentum and reel off the wins. When we have a week off, I find the players have to readjust and the performance usually isn't great in the next game. I would love a game this midweek to shake the cobwebs off the last game. Instead, we have to sit on it for a week while everyone and his wife writes out long awaited painful obituaries about the team, the manager, and the club.

We see the offside lines live on tv. They clearly show why a forward is given onside or offside. The evidence is there for everyone to see, it's not a secret in a dark room. Whereas in Europe, we often don't see any lines until well after the decision has been made. However, I strongly recommend people watch the UEFA Man in the Middle ref documentary, currently repeated on BT. It may not change your mind about VAR, but at least every VAR decision featured is explained in detail with the communication broadcast.

The games have to be played. The nature of this season means if you have to field a reserve team to fulfil a fixture, or have to forfeit a tie or find an alternative venue to play it, that's what you have to do. There simply isn't the time to cater for mass postponements. The current season must be finished on time, whatever it takes.

Quote from Isaac!
      We've seen dozens of results this season that would normally happen only once in a decade, if that. Deniers need to explain this.

When Klopp became our manager he put enormous emphasis on improving the fans connection to and belief in the team. He did that because he recognises how imperative the energy and support of the crowd is. We should know this more than anyone FFS. Klopp's teams are about energy, everything they are depends upon it and they can't work without it. Remove the crowd ( including a crowd willing us to lose ) and you take away half the game, you take away the reason to play at all.

We play the game because it has to be played. It's great to have a crowd, but it's not possible atm. After so many months without them, players should be used to it by now. I would accept it as an excuse if we were the only club affected, but we're not. So there is no alternative but to just get out there, do your job, and try to get the result you want, as you would if there was a crowd. The fans may not be physically present, but they're still watching your every move, kicking every ball, and celebrating every goal. No it's not the same, but that's the way it is. Some teams are going to make the best of that scenario, and the rest have to try again next time.

On the other hand, away from home it's not always bad. It was actually refreshing to go to the toilet the other week and not have to endure the Hillsborough singers propaganda every couple of minutes. We had no fans to help us comeback against West Ham, but we won. We had fans to help us win against West Brom, but we didn't win. We are where we are atm for numerous practical reasons. Lack of crowds if it is a factor at all, is way down the list.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #29: Mar 13, 2021 12:13:41 pm

Quick Reply