Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre match: Leicester City vs Liverpool v EPL Sat Feb 13th KO: 12.30

Read 5784 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Pre match: Leicester City vs Liverpool v EPL Sat Feb 13th KO: 12.30
      Feb 11, 2021 09:53:27 am
      Back in the saddle.

In a week when we gave up our title with a wimper the sad news of the gaffers mam passing also came.

However on we go. A battle now for top 4 and pride. These are a good side but one which I think let us be our best. On a personal note I would change a few things for this game.

. Trent.. Take away his defensive duties, let him go and be the baller he is.

. Go 2 up. Mo and Mane and give them the freedom to do what they want

If were loaning Kabak with a view to a permanent deal well sitting him on his arse wont teach us much so my team in a 4 4 2

Alisson
          Neco    Kabak     Fab    Robbo

Trent  Hendo    Thiago Jones

Mo    Sadio

Look at hendo and Fab interchanging at various points of the game. Id also give Robbo and hour to 70 and then give Tsimikas a run. I think Robbo is on empty and by that stage of the game we wont get his best.

Lastly I think the boss should be excused for this one, if at all possible send him home for a few days to Germany
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2021 10:36:13 am by RedPuppy »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Re: Pre match: Leicester City vs Liverpool v EPL Sat Feb 13th KO: 12.30
      Reply #1: Feb 11, 2021 10:59:22 am
      I think whoever is selected should try to redouble their efforts, to try and achieve something from this seemingly tricky away fixture. Playing Neco Williams a good idea, I have watched him perform for Wales, on the tv, he looks a decent player, deserving a chance at senior level.

Also think it would be sensible to give the boss time off, at least for this game. It would be at least the decent thing, for the club to do, for a manager who has achieved so much for Liverpool FC.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2: Feb 11, 2021 11:53:15 am
      Back in the saddle.

In a week when we gave up our title with a wimper the sad news of the gaffers mam passing also came.

However on we go. A battle now for top 4 and pride. These are a good side but one which I think let us be our best. On a personal note I would change a few things for this game.

. Trent.. Take away his defensive duties, let him go and be the baller he is.

. Go 2 up. Mo and Mane and give them the freedom to do what they want

If were loaning Kabak with a view to a permanent deal well sitting him on his arse wont teach us much so my team in a 4 4 2

Alisson
          Neco    Kabak     Fab    Robbo

Trent  Hendo    Thiago Jones

Mo    Sadio

Look at hendo and Fab interchanging at various points of the game. Id also give Robbo and hour to 70 and then give Tsimikas a run. I think Robbo is on empty and by that stage of the game we wont get his best.

Lastly I think the boss should be excused for this one, if at all possible send him home for a few days to Germany

I like that but I wonder if another variation might be to play 3 CB's (Fab, Kabak and either Davies or Nat), until the new recruits settle and have Trent and Robbo in the middle together with Hendo, Thiago and Curtis with Mo and Sadio up top. I think that would give a really nice mix between attack and defence, plus it would give us the option of easily changing formation later on back to our default with Bobby coming on for one of the CB's.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3: Feb 11, 2021 12:55:19 pm
      I wouldn’t go changing the entire system the squad has been trained for the last few years, tweak it for sure but to completely change it when we are not at full strength wouldn’t do us any good IMO, I’d leave that until we have a complete  pre-season to try stuff out, but certainly not mid way thru, anyhoo, what I will change is Fab & Hendo as CB’s,

I’m not sure between the new lads who is ready yet, but I think we have seen that Phillips can do a decent enough job as one of the cb’s, and maybe Kabak in next to him, having had a full week’s training I’m sure they are more accustomed to what is required by now, it’s just a matter doing it I guess, so I’d go with......

...In a 4-3-2-1....

Alisson
                          Trent   Phillips   Kabak   Robbo
                                          Fabinho
                           Henderson           Alcantara
                                  Salah           Mane
                                          Firmino

Bench; Kelleher, Williams, Davies, Milner, Gini, Jones, Shaqiri, Tsimikas, Jota,

I think once we have a semblance of our midfield back together with our balance, rhythm & fluidity we will see the confidence in the players soar, last season at the Kingpower for me was one if not thee best performances of the whole season, it was first V second and the pundits were touting draw, but we went there and absolutely battered them from start to finish and the 0-4 result flattered them, in truth it could have been 6 or 7,

Leicester are a decent side as you would expect from a Brendan Rogers team but they are no match in terms of quality, their reliance on Vardy scoring as their main hope is a bit feeble, they have good players in  Ndibi, Maddison, Tuleman & Barnes but up against a side like ours or City the seem to go missing, anyhoo enough of them...

I expect us to be in total control and with a strong midfield trio can see us totally dominate play, I doubt we’ll see the same 0-4 thrashing as last season but I do see us starting a good run of wins.

1-2 Champions

Y  N  W  A
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2021 01:45:15 pm by billythered »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4: Feb 11, 2021 01:38:04 pm
      Let's try a game with our best players in their best positions....that means Fab or Hendo need to be back in midfield. Jordan and Fabhino play in midfield for me, so that leaves one of Gini or Thiago to miss out. Phillips and Kabak at the back. Rest of the team picks itself.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #5: Feb 11, 2021 01:48:37 pm
      As this is an away game, I am much more confident. Our home form is obviously terrible.

If we don't play Henderson and Fabinho in the defence then we should be fine. I prefer Philips with either a new CB or Fabinho in the defence. I am going for LFC win 1-3.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Feb 11, 2021 02:10:55 pm
      I know people will be apprhensive about tactical changes, " now is not the time " type of thing. Well if we dont win Saturday with the same tactical formation, will the time be the derby? If its not and we dont win the derby will it be time to change in a must win v sheffield, considering our form against that type of team.

We need to be brave. we need to try something new. But we cant keep putting the when to do it on the long finger.

If Im Rogers Ive my plan worked out for Liverpools 4 4 3 with the full vacks the outlets, the 3 in the mid will look to control the game but in effect are not a threat therefore if I nulufy the full backs it lessens the impact of the front 3.

So why not stump him..In my team you still have 2 attacing full backs but now 2 genuine threats in wide mid areas plys 2 lads in the centre who xan create. Also 2 front men now with the freedom to sit on shoulders or pull wide or drop deep.
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2021 03:21:12 pm by Brian78 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Feb 11, 2021 03:19:24 pm
      I know people will be apprhensive about tactical changes, " now is not the time " type of thing. Well if we dont win Saturday with the same tactical formation, will the time be the derby? If its not and we dont win the derby will it be time to change in a must win v shefgield, considering our form against that type of team.

We need to be brave. we need to try something new. But we cant keep putting the when to do it on the long finger.

If Im Rogers Ive my plan worked out for Liverpools 4 4 3 with the full vacks the outlets, the 3 in the mid will look to control the game but in effect are not a threat therefore if I nulufy the full backs it lessens the impact of the front 3.

So why not stump him..In my team you still have 2 attacing full backs but now 2 genuine threats in wide mid areas plys 2 lads in the centre who xan create. Also 2 front men now with the freedom to sit on shoulders or pull wide or drop deep.

Spot on, totally agree, we have to change some things around, especially at home as its simply not working.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Feb 11, 2021 05:59:58 pm
      Big question is whether Jürgen will start one of the two new FBs [almost no chance of both] at the weekend.
      I'd love to see Fab/Hendo/Thiago in the middle, but at the same time, mistakes at the back can cost a game.
      We've been decent in away matches, so maybe there's no rush to bring them in for Saturday.
      In saying that, we've some huge games coming up, especially Leipzig, so sooner the likes of Kabak get blooded in matches the better.
      Given the games coming up think playing one of them against Leicester is worth the risk. But Jürgen sees them in training, so...
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #9: Feb 11, 2021 06:03:32 pm
      I know people will be apprhensive about tactical changes, " now is not the time " type of thing. Well if we dont win Saturday with the same tactical formation, will the time be the derby? If its not and we dont win the derby will it be time to change in a must win v sheffield, considering our form against that type of team.

If we play 4-4-3 we should win every game
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #10: Feb 11, 2021 06:10:03 pm
      There home record is WON 5 LOST 5 and drawn once. So it’s not exactly a fortress.
      Vardy is back which means they have a threat.
      This will be difficult. Last seasons performance there was near perfection and afterwards I knew we would win the title then.

Personally I would start both new signings. We need our midfield back to its best and that’s with Henderson and Fabinho in there.

Allison
      TAA
      Robertson
      Davies
      Kabak

Henderson
      Fabinho
      Thiago

Salah
      Firmino
      Mane

2-2
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #11: Feb 11, 2021 06:25:54 pm
      I fancy this as a very tough game what with the speed of Leicesters attacking players. I initially was going to put this down as an away loss, but there is no way I can allow myself to have that as a possibility, so away win on the cards. Can’t allow the smug one an opportunity to get one over on us...
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #12: Feb 11, 2021 06:32:58 pm
                           Alisson

TAA       Kabak     Davies      Robbo

Hendo      Fab

Thiago

Salah         Bobby         Mane

Back to winning ways with this team.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13: Feb 11, 2021 06:42:12 pm
      I honestly don't think tactics are our problem.

In the end it's down to player performance. Player performance has been impacted by a number of things, chiefly injuries.

In the end, the players selected need to step up and deliver quality performances. When they do, we win most of our matches, as we've shown in the 2-3 seasons preceding this one.

Hamann has pointed out our bang average results from the end of the lockdown last summer. That may continue until we get a proper close season and the benefits from the usual Klopp pre-season training regimen (we definitely did not have that before this season). But for now, it's imperative on each player to dig down and battle well.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #14: Feb 11, 2021 06:50:47 pm
      Doesn't matter how we lineup or who we lineup, if the players don't get their head out of their ass we're not winning.

Arnold has been shocking defensively directly costing us goals. Alisson gifted 2 last game. Mane missed a header from 5 feet out against City, Salah missed a sitter in the first couple minutes against Brighton. The list goes on and on with individual mistakes / misses.

With everyone having basically had a week off i imagine everyone will be available except those with long-term injuries (and Nancy Keita). You go with the best players available.

Alisson
      Trent - Kabak - Fabinho - Robertson
                       Hendo
             Thiago    -     Gini
      Salah    - Firmino    - Mane
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #15: Feb 11, 2021 06:58:40 pm
      Fancy us to win comfortably. Had a week to lick our wounds and an additional week of training for the new lads to settle in. Huge game for Leicester who have the chance to make a big statement in the race for the top four, which I think will benefit us. I've noticed a few occasions where this Rodgers side seems to be on the cusp of establishing themselves as one of the big boys, but then end up being brought back down to earth with a defeat. Think the same will happen again on Saturday
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #16: Feb 11, 2021 07:50:32 pm
      Just play Kabak and Davies at CB Please.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #17: Feb 11, 2021 09:21:51 pm
      Fancy us to win comfortably. Had a week to lick our wounds and an additional week of training for the new lads to settle in. Huge game for Leicester who have the chance to make a big statement in the race for the top four, which I think will benefit us. I've noticed a few occasions where this Rodgers side seems to be on the cusp of establishing themselves as one of the big boys, but then end up being brought back down to earth with a defeat. Think the same will happen again on Saturday

It will be anything but easy I’m afraid mate 😫
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Feb 11, 2021 10:13:48 pm
      Just play Kabak and Davies at CB Please.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if we never see Ben Davies on the park.

Fab and Kabak for me, with Phillips the first sub at central defence.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Feb 11, 2021 11:03:18 pm

I can see where your coming from Brian but I really don’t think it needs much of a change tbh, it hasn’t been working because we’ve had to play both Hendo & Fab as CB’s and obviously not in their respective favoured positions, that will change now that Jürgen has more options at the back,

I would be inclined  to have a go with one of the new lads in with either or Phillips, Fabinho, or Hendo before ripping up the system altogether, I think we all agree that having Hendo & Fab at the back hasn’t worked and has made us more vulnerable as such, so getting back to a system most are familiar with aside from the new lads, I believe is the way forward, preferably with both Fab & Hendo in midfield,

If nothing changes then for sure maybe a system change is what’s needed but again not mid season, we seen against Spuds & WhU that we don’t need drastic changes for us to perform near to our best, it’s clear that our midfield has suffered without the protection of Fabinho and the energy of Henderson, having those two with either Thiago, Gini or Jones will IMO make us a much better and more dangerous animal.

Y  N  W  A
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #20: Feb 11, 2021 11:35:35 pm
      COMETHEFUCKON !!!!!!!!!!!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #21: Feb 12, 2021 09:09:49 am
      If we play 4-4-3 we should win every game

Should but clearly are not
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: Feb 12, 2021 09:12:33 am

I can see where your coming from Brian but I really don’t think it needs much of a change tbh, it hasn’t been working because we’ve had to play both Hendo & Fab as CB’s and obviously not in their respective favoured positions, that will change now that Jürgen has more options at the back,

I would be inclined  to have a go with one of the new lads in with either or Phillips,

Any idea what pace the new lads have out of interest? I like Nat but we know hes not lightining.

Quick Reply