Trending Topics

Next match: Leeds v LFC [Premier League] Mon 19th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Elland Road

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P30 W15 D7 L8

Squad overhaul

Read 5128 times
      Aggerdoo and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,503 posts | 711 
      Re: Squad overhaul
      Reply #125: Mar 08, 2021 05:53:49 pm
      Looking at the squad we're in serious need of a significant overhaul. For me our squad has too many average and injury prone players to compete with the big clubs going forward.

Goalkeepers

1. Alisson - KEEP
      13. Adrian - RELEASE
      62. Caoimhin Kelleher - KEEP

Defenders

4. Virgil van Dijk - KEEP
      12. Joe Gomez - KEEP
      19. Ozan Kabak - KEEP
      21. Kostas Tsimikas - SELL
      26. Andy Robertson - KEEP
      28. Ben Davies - KEEP
      32. Joel Matip - SELL
      47. Nat Phillips - SELL
      66. Trent Alexander-Arnold - KEEP
      76. Neco Williams - SELL

Midfielders

3. Fabinho - KEEP
      5. Georginio Wijnaldum - RELEASE
      6. Thiago - KEEP
      7. James Milner - RELEASE
      8. Naby Keita - SELL
      14. Jordan Henderson - KEEP
      15. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - SELL
      17. Curtis Jones - KEEP

Forwards

9. Roberto Firmino - SELL
      10. Sadio Mane - KEEP
      11. Mohamed Salah - KEEP
      20. Diogo Jota - KEEP
      23. Xherdan Shaqiri - SELL
      27. Divock Origi - SELL

Currently out on loan:

Takumi Minamino – Southampton - SELL
      Harvey Elliott – Blackburn - KEEP
      Harry Wilson – Cardiff - SELL
      Marko Grujic – Porto - SELL
      Loris Karius – Union Berlin - SELL
      Liam Millar – Charlton - SELL
      Kamil Grabara – AGF Aarhus - KEEP
      Sheyi Ojo – Cardiff - SELL
      Adam Lewis – Plymouth - SELL
      Taiwo Awoniyi – Union Berlin - SELL
      Anderson Arroyo – Salamanca - SELL
      Sepp van den Berg – Preston North End - KEEP
      Vitezslav Jaros – St Patrick’s Athletic - SELL

That's about 20 outgoings including our loan players. Lots or work to be done this Summer. If we don't freshen up the squad with next gen signings we will go backwards very fast.

Take a deep breath and step off the ledge.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,524 posts | 2034 
      Reply #126: Mar 08, 2021 07:31:05 pm
      Take a deep breath and step off the ledge.

Like this club is close to doing?

You honestly believe the squad doesn't need an overhaul?

Delusional.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,503 posts | 711 
      Reply #127: Mar 08, 2021 07:33:32 pm
      Like this club is close to doing?

You honestly believe the squad doesn't need an overhaul?

Delusional.

Unless there is something going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of, no. Not even close.

What you want to do is going to need to happen, but over the next 3-4 years, not this summer.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,524 posts | 2034 
      Reply #128: Mar 08, 2021 07:44:00 pm
      Unless there is something going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of, no. Not even close.

What you want to do is going to need to happen, but over the next 3-4 years, not this summer.

In 3 to 4 years half our first team will be in their early to mid 30s.

Milly will still he here running around at 40.

We need to freshen up the squad much faster than that or we'll be left behind.
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 14 
      Reply #129: Mar 09, 2021 06:02:11 pm
      Personally dont think we need an overhaul. Think a system change is more appropriate with possibly three signings on top.

Would love to see us try a 352 as TAAs clear defensive struggles would be less of a liability with the extra CB.

I'm happy with the GKs. Alisson is still the best GK in the league for me, Kelleher has looked decent as cover + we can promote one of the younger lads as a #3 with Adrian going.

RB we are okay. In a back 5, TAA and Neco are perfectly fine. In a back 4, we probably need to let Neco go out on loan and bring in a more solid defensive option. Overall though I am happy with those pair - both are young with plenty of juice / improvement in them.

LB we are okay. Robbo is grand and hopefully a year as his understudy Tsimkas will be able to step up next season. If not, I am sure we have someone from the youth who can be an able cover option. What happened to Larouci? Overall I dont think we need to spend money here.

CB I think we need one signing here. VVD and Gomez are grand. Matip on a shorter term deal I'd be happy to keep, Phillips I actually think is okay too, in a back 3 he would be even better. Rhys I think should go out on loan (not ready yet for me). Dont want Kabak permanently, would rather trust Davies and buy another.  Ben White has been rumoured and I think that is not a bad shout. If not maybe a Tarkowski / Dunk type someone solid to fit VVD and Gomez.

CM I think we could do with an addition. A box to box kind of midfield. Someone who can run with the ball and be a threat to the opposition. I think Grealish would be perfect for us but maybe a little to expensive for FSG unless we sell one of our stronger assets. Fabinho is grand, Thiago I'd be happy to give him more time despite a slow start, Jones looks promising, Hendo we keep too. Keita for me is a tough one, I'd be happy either way. I think we cut Grujic, Shaqiri, Ox and let Gini join Barca.

In attack is where i think we can generate money. As much as I love him - I think now is probably the time to move Bobby on. It will hurt but I think Jürgen has squeezed all the juice out of him, he doesnt have much left in the tank. Origi needs to be sold also, he has been hopeless since the UCL win. Now if we stick with the current formation I'd keep the rest but if we were to switch to 352 (in my fantasy land ;D) - I am going to say it, I think we should sell Mane. A little bit like Bobby I worry Jürgen has squeezed all the juice out of him, and in a choice between Mo and Mane, I think Mo has more quality left in him aswell as goals. Mane seems to have lost his strength which is worrying as that was always his greatest trait. Without strength, he isnt sadio mane. Jota is grand, I think Taki should be given a shot, I think he has more to offer than Mane right now. On top of Jota, Salah and Taki I would like to see a proper #9. Someone who can win aerial duels and offer a presence up front aswell as score goals. Something different to what we currently have. Haaland would be the dream. Maybe Mane + Firmino can fund it?

GK - Alisson, Kelleher, Hughes/Jakub

RB - TAA, Neco

CB - VVD, Gomez, Matip, Phillips, Davies, NEW SIGNING (White?)

LB - Robertson, Tsimkas / Larouci

Mid - Thiago, Fabinho, Hendo, Jones, Keita, Elliott, NEW SIGNING (Grealish?)

Attack - Jota, Salah, Minamino, NEW SIGNING (Haaland?)

24 man squad. Considering no Europe next season looking likely that is more than enough going forward. 3 signings and not alot of net spend so FSG will be happy with my suggestions ;D.  Maybe they should give me the managers job if Jürgen goes ;D

I think we compete for the title, comfortably get top 4 anyhow and hopefully win the FA CUP.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 924 posts | 292 
      Reply #130: Mar 09, 2021 06:21:58 pm
      Personally dont think we need an overhaul. Think a system change is more appropriate with possibly three signings on top.

Would love to see us try a 352 as TAAs clear defensive struggles would be less of a liability with the extra CB.

I'm happy with the GKs. Alisson is still the best GK in the league for me, Kelleher has looked decent as cover + we can promote one of the younger lads as a #3 with Adrian going.

RB we are okay. In a back 5, TAA and Neco are perfectly fine. In a back 4, we probably need to let Neco go out on loan and bring in a more solid defensive option. Overall though I am happy with those pair - both are young with plenty of juice / improvement in them.

LB we are okay. Robbo is grand and hopefully a year as his understudy Tsimkas will be able to step up next season. If not, I am sure we have someone from the youth who can be an able cover option. What happened to Larouci? Overall I dont think we need to spend money here.

CB I think we need one signing here. VVD and Gomez are grand. Matip on a shorter term deal I'd be happy to keep, Phillips I actually think is okay too, in a back 3 he would be even better. Rhys I think should go out on loan (not ready yet for me). Dont want Kabak permanently, would rather trust Davies and buy another.  Ben White has been rumoured and I think that is not a bad shout. If not maybe a Tarkowski / Dunk type someone solid to fit VVD and Gomez.

CM I think we could do with an addition. A box to box kind of midfield. Someone who can run with the ball and be a threat to the opposition. I think Grealish would be perfect for us but maybe a little to expensive for FSG unless we sell one of our stronger assets. Fabinho is grand, Thiago I'd be happy to give him more time despite a slow start, Jones looks promising, Hendo we keep too. Keita for me is a tough one, I'd be happy either way. I think we cut Grujic, Shaqiri, Ox and let Gini join Barca.

In attack is where i think we can generate money. As much as I love him - I think now is probably the time to move Bobby on. It will hurt but I think Jürgen has squeezed all the juice out of him, he doesnt have much left in the tank. Origi needs to be sold also, he has been hopeless since the UCL win. Now if we stick with the current formation I'd keep the rest but if we were to switch to 352 (in my fantasy land ;D) - I am going to say it, I think we should sell Mane. A little bit like Bobby I worry Jürgen has squeezed all the juice out of him, and in a choice between Mo and Mane, I think Mo has more quality left in him aswell as goals. Mane seems to have lost his strength which is worrying as that was always his greatest trait. Without strength, he isnt sadio mane. Jota is grand, I think Taki should be given a shot, I think he has more to offer than Mane right now. On top of Jota, Salah and Taki I would like to see a proper #9. Someone who can win aerial duels and offer a presence up front aswell as score goals. Something different to what we currently have. Haaland would be the dream. Maybe Mane + Firmino can fund it?

GK - Alisson, Kelleher, Hughes/Jakub

RB - TAA, Neco

CB - VVD, Gomez, Matip, Phillips, Davies, NEW SIGNING (White?)

LB - Robertson, Tsimkas / Larouci

Mid - Thiago, Fabinho, Hendo, Jones, Keita, Elliott, NEW SIGNING (Grealish?)

Attack - Jota, Salah, Minamino, NEW SIGNING (Haaland?)

24 man squad. Considering no Europe next season looking likely that is more than enough going forward. 3 signings and not alot of net spend so FSG will be happy with my suggestions ;D.  Maybe they should give me the managers job if Jürgen goes ;D

I think we compete for the title, comfortably get top 4 anyhow and hopefully win the FA CUP.

I see on BBC Garth Crookes suggesting Ward-Prowse would be an ideal Gini replacement.  I think its a strange shout as Gini plays a different role for us from the one JWP plays for Southampton, but he would be very useful and seems to keep his fitness too.  I don't see us buying one of the big name glamour attackers like Grealish, Mbappe or Haaland.  Ironically, Ings (as he has been this last year) would suit us, although our lack of height up front needs addressing. 
      We do seem to be carrying a lot of hardly-ever-fit players, and because they so rarely play, they never look much good when they do get a game (Ox being the obvious one).
      As far as an overhaul goes, I'd say we need to have the sort of fit, quality depth that allows us to rotate an average of two players each game over a season, not just to stave off injuries, but to keep squad players fresh, match-ready and able to read each others' game.
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 14 
      Reply #131: Mar 09, 2021 06:31:34 pm
      I see on BBC Garth Crookes suggesting Ward-Prowse would be an ideal Gini replacement.  I think its a strange shout as Gini plays a different role for us from the one JWP plays for Southampton, but he would be very useful and seems to keep his fitness too.  I don't see us buying one of the big name glamour attackers like Grealish, Mbappe or Haaland.  Ironically, Ings (as he has been this last year) would suit us, although our lack of height up front needs addressing. 
      We do seem to be carrying a lot of hardly-ever-fit players, and because they so rarely play, they never look much good when they do get a game (Ox being the obvious one).
      As far as an overhaul goes, I'd say we need to have the sort of fit, quality depth that allows us to rotate an average of two players each game over a season, not just to stave off injuries, but to keep squad players fresh, match-ready and able to read each others' game.

Yeah not sure about Ward Prowse. Although maybe for his free kicks alone wouldnt be completely a waste of time. Think we can get better. Haland probably out of reach but Grealish I think if we put down a good offer is doable. If not Grealish, Aouar from Lyon is a baller. Would take Tielemans from Leicester too.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,691 posts | 1929 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #132: Mar 09, 2021 06:34:49 pm
      Im like a broken record on this but the only midfielder we should be looking at buying is Gravenberch, anyone after that great, but if we dont sign him, or at least try to Ill be gutted.

This kid has it all hes going to be the best in the game
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 14 
      Reply #133: Mar 09, 2021 06:36:19 pm
      Im like a broken record on this but the only midfielder we should be looking at buying is Gravenberch, anyone after that great, but if we dont sign him, or at least try to Ill be gutted.

This kid has it all hes going to be the best in the game

Cant say I've watched much of him. Will have to check him out. Comes from a good school anyway!
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 14 
      Reply #134: Mar 09, 2021 06:39:11 pm

Tammy Abraham just came into my head as a more realistic option as opposed to Haaland. Can score, about 6ft 4, decent in the air, good movement. Seems Tuchel doesnt fancy him but hed offer something different than what we have. Shouldn't cost a fortune either. Would be happy with him. Ings is similar to what we have in terms of physicality and height.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,691 posts | 1929 
      Reply #135: Mar 09, 2021 06:58:31 pm
      Cant say I've watched much of him. Will have to check him out. Comes from a good school anyway!

Ridiculously good and not yet 19. Like someone took Viera, Alonso, Pogba (his good traits) and mashed them together to make this
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,314 posts | 5172 
      Reply #136: Mar 09, 2021 07:05:58 pm
      Tammy Abraham just came into my head as a more realistic option as opposed to Haaland. Can score, about 6ft 4, decent in the air, good movement. Seems Tuchel doesnt fancy him but hed offer something different than what we have. Shouldn't cost a fortune either. Would be happy with him. Ings is similar to what we have in terms of physicality and height.

Abraham's sh*te and wouldn't want him anywhere near Anfield.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,967 posts | 3006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #137: Mar 09, 2021 07:07:45 pm
      Although needed it ain’t gonna happen this summer, I think the majority of what we have now will remain but I do see us off loading those  who don’t feature at all, and perhaps bring 1-4 higher quality to fight for places,
      Like the idea of rebuilding slowly over a couple of seasons but this covid sh*t has probably scuppered the initial stages of that this summer, it isn’t just about buying what we need, we need to be buying for the next few years and perhaps beyond, players like Gravenberch as what Brian alluded to,  We already have wee Harvey Elliot, it’s this kind of age group we should be going after, Trent already established, Gomez if he can stay injury free, Kelleher another future star, so some of the blocks are already here,

I’m not up on the U23 or U18 ressies but I’m sure there are one or two who potentially can come through, Billy Koumetio for example probably 2 or 3 others,

Overall I think next season will be for consolidation, seeing where we’re at financially once things settle down, we might not be in Europe so that could have a negative effect on transfer targets and probably monies available,

But, don’t get too downhearted, we will have enough for us to get through another season, a season where we will be back competing for the title, and without getting too far ahead of myself,( I know, I always do)  I can next season being a three horse race with the Chavs joining the race.

Y  N  W  A
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,691 posts | 1929 
      Reply #138: Mar 09, 2021 07:12:05 pm
      Although needed it ain’t gonna happen this summer, I think the majority of what we have now will remain but I do see us off loading those  who don’t feature at all, and perhaps bring 1-4 higher quality to fight for places,
      Like the idea of rebuilding slowly over a couple of seasons but this covid sh*t has probably scuppered the initial stages of that this summer, it isn’t just about buying what we need, we need to be buying for the next few years and perhaps beyond, players like Gravenberch as what Brian alluded to,  We already have wee Harvey Elliot, it’s this kind of age group we should be going after, Trent already established, Gomez if he can stay injury free, Kelleher another future star, so some of the blocks are already here,

I’m not up on the U23 or U18 ressies but I’m sure there are one or two who potentially can come through, Billy Koumetio for example probably 2 or 3 others,

Overall I think next season will be for consolidation, seeing where we’re at financially once things settle down, we might not be in Europe so that could have a negative effect on transfer targets and probably monies available,

But, don’t get too downhearted, we will have enough for us to get through another season, a season where we will be back competing for the title, and without getting too far ahead of myself,( I know, I always do)  I can next season being a three horse race with the Chavs joining the race.

Y  N  W  A

Someone only said last week our 18s has a lot of prospect, more then our 23s

While Id love 5 or 6 in I think getting VVD and Joe back plus signing Gravenberch a striker and cover for Trent might do it
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 924 posts | 292 
      Reply #139: Mar 09, 2021 07:12:26 pm
      Yeah not sure about Ward Prowse. Although maybe for his free kicks alone wouldnt be completely a waste of time. Think we can get better. Haland probably out of reach but Grealish I think if we put down a good offer is doable. If not Grealish, Aouar from Lyon is a baller. Would take Tielemans from Leicester too.

I like Tielemans. Reminds me of early Bobby, and not just for the no-look pass!
      Defensively I’d have a look at Ben Mee - he’s underrated in favour of Tarkowski and a top lad. Not sure we’d convince FSG to spend on a CB for the next 5 years though, we now have too many (quality notwithstanding).
      Can’t believe how many loaners are out there too - have any (apart from Elliott) got a cat in hells chance of being good enough?
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 14 
      Reply #140: Mar 09, 2021 07:15:01 pm

Hmm I think he is decent. 47 goals in his last 94 matches is a good return. Think him and Salah could be a superb partnership. Robbo + Trent would love his movement + presence. Think he would kill it here tbh. Right kind of age for our club too.

We need a striker who offers us something different. Physicality + aerial presence.

Haaland of course would be amazing but Abraham for me is a great plan b option. He would definitely outscore our attackers besides Mo - I am sure of it.

Out of curiosity who would you suggest as a realistic striker target to improve us?
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 14 
      Reply #141: Mar 09, 2021 07:17:48 pm
      I like Tielemans. Reminds me of early Bobby, and not just for the no-look pass!
      Defensively I’d have a look at Ben Mee - he’s underrated in favour of Tarkowski and a top lad. Not sure we’d convince FSG to spend on a CB for the next 5 years though, we now have too many (quality notwithstanding).
      Can’t believe how many loaners are out there too - have any (apart from Elliott) got a cat in hells chance of being good enough?

Yeah he pretty much has it all. Can score aswell. I did see an interview last week saying he was happy at Leicester so I doubt we would get him but still a man can dream ;D Belgium are lucky to have him and KDB in the same midfield. They will be a good watch at the Euros.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 924 posts | 292 
      Reply #142: Mar 09, 2021 07:18:00 pm
      Great to read a thread full of differing opinions without insults and wummery. Makes me proud!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,395 posts | 1225 
      Reply #143: Mar 09, 2021 08:13:05 pm
      Seems every few years we call for a squad overhaul and I don’t think I can ever remember what I would consider an ‘overhaul’ happening (I.e lots of comings and going’s all in one window).

Tends to happen over time and whilst I think we need to get rid of a few injury prone players (Ox, matip, Keita), we need to consider the fact we will need to still replace them in the squad as well as signing a few players for the first XI. Think our attack could do with freshening up, some real competition for Trent and I’d like another CB to come in who can compete with Joe to start alongside VVD. 

Don’t think we will see huge movement in the summer though.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,749 posts | 325 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #144: Mar 09, 2021 08:28:29 pm

Giroud is quality however. Not saying go for him, but he’s a useful target man at 6ft 4 and very skilful.
      UncleBob
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts | 106 
      Reply #145: Yesterday at 12:29:27 am
      This is a massive summer for us. We could fix our issues and make this season a mere ‘blip’, or we could carry on this form into next season and risk undoing all the work we have done to get where we wanted to be.

But since the palace away game where we won 7-0, our form has been fairly terrible.

10 wins and 9 defeats and a few draws mixed in. Confidence has vanished. Teams have lost that fear factor. Nothing seems to be working.

Alison has looked unsteady for periods of the season.
      Our back four have been strained and out of form but a lot of hope is pinned on VVD coming back but we don’t know how he will be. It’s an injury that can diminish a players attributes. At the very least he needs a reliable and quality partner.
      Tsimikas and Williams don’t seem to get any minutes either. Which, considering how poor Robertson and TAA have been in certain games, doesn’t make sense. Maybe klopp doesn’t rate them. Who knows.
      The midfield needs more. Keita and ox just can’t string a run of games together. Gini has contract issues but has been below par all season, and Thiago is still to settle. Even Milner is now looking like the veteran he is.
      And our strikers also need a injection of change. Bobby has been frustratingly bad for 18 months or so. Mane has hit some kind of mentality block. Salah scores the goals at least but something is rotten with the front three. The click has gone. Shaqiri and origi just simply need to move on.

Personally I don’t think a small tweak will do it in the summer.
      I think 4 or 5 players are needed. And not squad players either.

Which is why top 4 is so important now.
      Failure to get that and this blip could be hard to shift.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,946 posts | 465 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #146: Yesterday at 07:58:00 am
      Squad overhaul buy Henderson, VVD, Gomez & Matip, oh wait....  :lmao: :mad:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,270 posts | 3447 
      Reply #147: Yesterday at 08:50:14 am
      Squad overhaul buy Henderson, VVD, Gomez & Matip, oh wait....  :lmao: :mad:

I know Virgil scores the odd goal but where’s the goals in the players above, still need to score goals to win games. A la last night.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,104 posts | 1868 
      Reply #148: Yesterday at 08:59:37 am
      No to Tammy Abraham. Bisouma and West Broms Perreira are 2 players that interest me.

Perreira in an attacking side could well unlock significant improvement in his game. Left footed and cover for Mo. A player who's more creative than Salah for the rest of the side but obviously he's not got his goals.

West Brom in all likelihood will go down and he won't want to be playing championship football and we have history of buying from those sort of clubs. I guess it depends on what we want to do with Harvey Elliott for that one.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,691 posts | 1929 
      Reply #149: Yesterday at 09:04:07 am
      If Jürgen wants to continue living off crosses into the box or floating corners in to the box time after time then he better go buy a forward who suits that.

We can also do with a natural goalscorer wholl finish 40/60 chances or get on the end of nothing

Thats before we look at midfield
      « Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:16:55 am by Brian78 »

Quick Reply