Trending Topics

Next match: MUFC v LFC [Premier League] Thu 13th May @ 8:15 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Old Trafford

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

Squad overhaul

Read 6416 times
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 144 
      Re: Squad overhaul
      Reply #150: Apr 15, 2021 09:30:24 am
      If Jürgen wants to continue living off crosses into the box or floating corners in to the box time after time then he better go buy a forward who suits that.

We can also do with a natural goalscorer wholl finish 40/60 chances or get on the end of nothing

Thats before we look at midfield

That absolutely baffles me, who are the crosses for?
      I'm not panicking too much as I'm convinced our problems have come from VVD, Gomez and Matip all being out then throw in Hendo, Fab and Thiago missing huge chunks of the season, however this only part explains our famed front three. Salah misses a lot of chances but he's still fairly reliable it's the other two that worry me, has time just caught up with them.. Maybe?
      A squad overhaul takes years but regardless of who's leaving we need a Haaland or a genuine finisher.
      Gini is nailed on to leave could TAA become a good midfielder even better than Gini, I think so?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,579 posts | 1382 
      Reply #151: Apr 15, 2021 09:54:02 am
      Yea baffled is the appropriate term to describe the endless and aimless crossing at a 5ft something front 3.

It’s predictable and easy to defend against our fullbacks are in auto pilot aimlessly dinking it into the box with no target. Need to find a more effective way to penetrate crosses can be a powerful weapon but they can’t be the only one in our arsenal.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,921 posts | 1990 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #152: Apr 15, 2021 09:58:32 am
      Yea baffled is the appropriate term to describe the endless and aimless crossing at a 5ft something front 3.

It’s predictable and easy to defend against our fullbacks are in auto pilot aimlessly dinking it into the box with no target. Need to find a more effective way to penetrate crosses can be a powerful weapon but they can’t be the only one in our arsenal.

Highlighted by Robbo in the first half. Clear opportunity to shoot, think he was actually in the box, but he went to cross it!! Made a sh*te of it by the way and they broke with the ball
      AlwaysTheKop
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,638 posts | 421 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #153: Apr 15, 2021 10:47:22 am
      Gini & Keita out - Gravenberch & Bissouma in
      Origi out - Andre Silva in
      Matip & Phillips out - Konate & Kabak in
      Adrian out - Maximiano in
      Oxlade out - Malen in
      Shaqiri out - Elliott in

Convert Firmino to CAM or cash in to help fund.

Starting 11 isn’t changed drastically, just all the big boys are back, but the bench is much younger and capable of growth instead of stagnating or getting worse.

Alisson
      Trent - Gomez - Dijk - Robbo
                      Fabinho
                 Hendo - Thiago
              Salah - Jota - Mane

Bench: Maximiano, Konate, Kabak, Neco, Milner, Bissouma, Gravenberch, Elliott, Malen, Silva
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 335 posts | 30 
      Reply #154: Apr 15, 2021 11:29:26 am
      We need not much, just a guy who can come and start. This team could rock PL and CL:

Alisson
      Trent-Konate-VVD-Robbo
      Hendo-Fab-Thiago
      Salah-Bobby-Mané

We'd have enough back-up's (Kelleher, Matip, Gomez, Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones, Jota) to overcome injuries. Thiago is a very gifted player, so we can assume he will get Jürgen's ideas implemented by next season. Of course a lot depends on how massive VVD's and Matip's absence was this season. Here I assume that it was massive and not just covering for more fundamental flaws.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,168 posts | 5460 
      Reply #155: Apr 15, 2021 12:39:32 pm
      With Wijnaldum on the way out, Henderson continuing to suffer injuries, Milner another year older and Thiago looking like someone on his final paycheck then I'd say from a glut of riches a couple of years back we've now got some big problems to solve in the middle of the park.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts | 26 
      Reply #156: Apr 15, 2021 12:50:32 pm
      Gini & Keita out - Gravenberch & Bissouma in
      Origi out - Andre Silva in
      Matip & Phillips out - Konate & Kabak in
      Adrian out - Maximiano in
      Oxlade out - Malen in
      Shaqiri out - Elliott in

Convert Firmino to CAM or cash in to help fund.

Starting 11 isn’t changed drastically, just all the big boys are back, but the bench is much younger and capable of growth instead of stagnating or getting worse.

Alisson
      Trent - Gomez - Dijk - Robbo
                      Fabinho
                 Hendo - Thiago
              Salah - Jota - Mane

Bench: Maximiano, Konate, Kabak, Neco, Milner, Bissouma, Gravenberch, Elliott, Malen, Silva

Our main issue would be the player sales here. Earlier our big buys were helped by money we received from sales. Even Solanke fetched as 15 odd millions. But with the current situation we would struggle to get anything meaningful for them .

Gini & Keita out - Gini is leaving as free transfer, With the injury record and the showings in the field , the best we would get is a loan option to take him off the wage bill .
      Origi out - Player in the last year of contract, plus the mediocre showings in the field
      Only players we may get decent money are Nat and Oxlade . Though Ox had injury issues, he is english and started showing some sharpness in the last games.
      Dadorious

• 9,579 posts | 1382 
      Reply #157: Apr 15, 2021 12:57:32 pm
      Highlighted by Robbo in the first half. Clear opportunity to shoot, think he was actually in the box, but he went to cross it!! Made a sh*te of it by the way and they broke with the ball

Yep he’s been doing it week in and out and despite it being totally fruitless it continues to happen.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,968 posts | 469 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #158: Apr 15, 2021 03:11:04 pm
      I know Virgil scores the odd goal but where’s the goals in the players above, still need to score goals to win games. A la last night.

Its just been a knock on to the whole squad losing those players, the whole dynamic has changed, then confidence has gone, and longer barren runs go for players, the worse it gets, snatching at shots etc.

Guarantee, there wont be a massive change in playing staff, I expect a few fringe players to move on be replaced with whoever know, sure klopp and edwards already are working on a shopping list. ;D
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,332 posts | 283 
      Reply #159: Apr 15, 2021 03:40:01 pm
      Don't think we need a clear out, just improve our back up options/competition for places so we can rotate more to keep people fresh, plus drop players that are out of form. Our injury prone players could do with going - Keita, Ox and (maybe) Matip. I quite like Origi as an option, but Jürgen hardly uses him, so sell him. Despite what some think on here, he is the one we will probably get the most money for - a lot of clubs will be interested, we'll get >£20m for him. Unlikely to get that for any of the other 3 cos of their injury proneness.

Should we keep Kabak? If he's gonna cost £18m, probably not. He's a decent player and has done pretty well to come in, cope with the pressure and form a not bad partnership with Phillips. But his lack of pace doesn't suit our high line. Same could be said for Phillips. Either one would be better with a pacy partner, but I wouldn't keep them both. We're unlikely to get much over £10m for Phillips (although no way should we sell him for less than that), so I'd probably keep him as a good header of the ball in case Virgil is out, and bring in somebody with pace instead of Kabak.

Up front, we can forget about buying Haaland. His wages will be off the charts and FSG won't pay them. I don't blame them either - it would be mistake for us to try and outspend the sugar daddy clubs. We won't win at that game. Sancho might be a possibility. If Mo leaves then I suspect we will go for him. if Mo stays, I reckon we will go back in for Sarr, who looks a decent player to me and would give us another good option.

The solution to Bobby's lack of goals is just to start Jota up front. It's frustrating that we haven't seen much of him through the middle (surprised he came on to play on the left yesterday again) but he looks potentially pretty prolific when played there, so I would go with him next season, with Bobby as a back up (and potential AM option as well).

I think we really need to bring in better back up fullbacks (although can only really judge Tsimikas on the basis that Jürgen clearly doesn't want to play him). Everybody is ignoring this cos Trent and Robbo have been fit all season. But every season is different and,unlucky as we have been this one at CB, if we have half that bad luck with our FBs we will be screwed. They are so important to our play and we need better cover. Not sure who to be honest - Mourinho doesn't like Matt Doherty, maybe an option? Or we could bring in a first choice RB and play Trent in midfield. (But just having the option of another RB would mean we could play Trent in midfield in the event of injuries there.)

Other than that the squad is good enough. It still wouldn't surprise me if Gini stays. Jürgen obviously really rates him, and he doesn't really seem determined to leave. If he stays, and Trent (and Sarr and Bobby and Jones) were AM options, there is no need to bring in anybody else to replace Ox and Keita. If Gini leaves, we might need another quality "water carrier" type CM.

I think the above is realistic, and would leave us with a squad that can compete for the league and European Cup. If one or more of our front 3 leave, then we should spend big on a prolific replacement. But I am in no rush for any of them to go. I think they are tired and unfortunately out of form at the same time. [Edit -Bobby is maybe a slightly different story. He's never been prolific, and it may be we've run up against the limits of relying on the wide men to score so many of the goals. Opponents know that if they can stop Mo and Sadio running inside, we don't have much threat through the middle. So they double up on them every time the ball goes wide, and we end up either going back and trying the same thing on the other side, or throwing hopeful balls into a centre forward who generally isn't there, cos he isn't really a centre forward.] But Jota starting instead of Bobby makes sense to give us more goal threat thru the middle. That plus one more goal scoring back up out wide, and our attack should be firing again next season.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2021 04:15:01 pm by sore monad »
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,628 posts | 735 
      Reply #160: Apr 15, 2021 05:01:23 pm
      This team is not in need of an overhaul this summer, it just needs the continuation of slowly turn the team around to the next wave of players. Gini is likely to leave and I imagine fringe players like Origi and Ox will too since Jürgen doesn’t seem to rate them anymore.

We have too many players at CB right now so expect some consolidation there with Van Dijk and Gomez as the only 2 that are certain to stay.

The biggest name I could see moving this summer is Keita as it simply doesn’t look like it’s going to work out for him at Liverpool.

I expect one of the front 3 to leave sooner rather than later, but see that happening next summer and not this one.
      harrydunn08

• 5,460 posts | 770 
      Reply #161: Apr 15, 2021 05:27:22 pm
      One player whose future I'm particularly interested in is Thiago.  It hasn't really worked out the way we all had imagined.  He's an unbelievable player, but just doesn't quite seem to fit into our team/system.  With him entering the final stretch of his prime, I wouldn't be surprised to see him request a move -- a return home to Barca could even be on the cards. 

It also feels like the end of the road for Gini, Ox, and Keita -- we may have a ton of turnover at CM this summer. 
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,968 posts | 469 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #162: Apr 15, 2021 05:31:39 pm
      Thiago hasnt played in our proper system yet (everton fukin game apart).

Our system includes VVD & hendo. 2 massive cogs in the wheel.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,628 posts | 735 
      Reply #163: Apr 15, 2021 05:33:39 pm
      One player whose future I'm particularly interested in is Thiago.  It hasn't really worked out the way we all had imagined.  He's an unbelievable player, but just doesn't quite seem to fit into our team/system.  With him entering the final stretch of his prime, I wouldn't be surprised to see him request a move -- a return home to Barca could even be on the cards. 

It also feels like the end of the road for Gini, Ox, and Keita -- we may have a ton of turnover at CM this summer.

Yea that’s potentially 3 or 4 midfielders leaving though doesn’t necessarily mean we need to buy 3 or 4 players.

Jones deserves a bigger role and Klopp may decide to give Grujic a spot on the team, for example.
      RedWilly

• 8,400 posts | 1229 
      Reply #164: Apr 15, 2021 11:50:35 pm
      Yea that’s potentially 3 or 4 midfielders leaving though doesn’t necessarily mean we need to buy 3 or 4 players.

Jones deserves a bigger role and Klopp may decide to give Grujic a spot on the team, for example.

I keep seeing these shouts and mentions of Grujic. I have never really seen him play in all honesty, but he’s what, 23/24? If it hasn’t happened by now then I don’t think it ever will. I do think our midfield needs work this summer but if we are looking at a lad who has been sent out on loan god knows how many times then I would be very disappointed. 
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,628 posts | 735 
      Reply #165: Apr 16, 2021 12:45:09 am
      I keep seeing these shouts and mentions of Grujic. I have never really seen him play in all honesty, but he’s what, 23/24? If it hasn’t happened by now then I don’t think it ever will. I do think our midfield needs work this summer but if we are looking at a lad who has been sent out on loan god knows how many times then I would be very disappointed.

He turned 25 a couple days ago so if not this summer he’s never going to make it here. He does get reasonable playing time at Porto so he could serve as a good depth player, a role I would not be opposed to for him. Certainly not a regular but if he can play cup games and late minutes when the game is decided I think it’s worth it instead of spending money on someone else to serve a smaller role.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,022 posts | 3031 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #166: Apr 16, 2021 11:24:21 am
      He turned 25 a couple days ago so if not this summer he’s never going to make it here. He does get reasonable playing time at Porto so he could serve as a good depth player, a role I would not be opposed to for him. Certainly not a regular but if he can play cup games and late minutes when the game is decided I think it’s worth it instead of spending money on someone else to serve a smaller role.

Not for me, decent enough player but not at the level we will require, his stock would have risen from his loan spell and so therefore the dollar’s we will get from his sale, hard to put a figure on value but whatever it is we could offset that against a new higher quality individual.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #167: Apr 16, 2021 11:41:59 am
      We don't need a huge overhaul, just need one more CB, one more MF and one proper target man up front. I would then let Matip, Gini, Bobby and Origi leave, plus possibly Keita and Shaq although they would need replacing.

At CB I'd get Konate or someone similar, MF I'd like Odegaard but I'm sure there are plenty of other contenders. Up front is the trickiest situation but I'd actually be quite tempted to put a bid in for Kane. Haaland and Mbappe are unrealistic but we certainly need a proper striker/target man with height and strength.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,365 posts | 2022 
      Reply #168: Apr 16, 2021 11:55:36 am
      Yep he’s been doing it week in and out and despite it being totally fruitless it continues to happen.

I would like to spend the summer categorizing the goals we've scored in the 5+ seasons since Jürgen has been here. It seems like it was weighted much more heavily to counter-attacking, prrdding and breakaway rush type goals prior to this season and maybe last. The long passes out of the back (including from the goalkeeper)  have so often been key, but it doesn't seem to be as typical especially this season.

Might be a fun project for the close season, watching all of our goals.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,921 posts | 1990 
      Reply #169: Apr 16, 2021 11:59:48 am
      Surprised people feel we only need 1 or 2 in.

4th at best this season. Even when we dominated we upgraded. This team needs nrw blood to spark it and Id say that even if we won the league and champions league double this year
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,921 posts | 1990 
      Reply #170: Apr 16, 2021 12:27:34 pm
      Lets break it down by area

Goalkeeper:

First choice is ok. Adrian likely to leave and in my opinion Kelleher should go on loan for more experience.

Backup keepee required

Defence:

Should have Gomez and VVD back next seasin. Kabak looks decent. We need a centre half on the level of Joe to come in fior me. Move Joel on, his injury record is a joke

I see most ex pros backing what I said a long long time ago Trent is too good a player for full back , and not a good enough defender. Move him to mid and sign a right full

Required, right full and centre half plus Kabak on a permanent

Midfield: 2 needed for me A replacement for Gini and Keita. Ideally one of the 2 is a creative type. Gravenberch and Rodrigo de Paul would be nice. Not sure if Id keep Ox or Milner at this point. But moving Trent here would mean only 1 needed

Required, 2 attack minded midfielders or move Trent

Forwards:

No doubt this will cause the most debate We have 4 exceptional forwards, but if we insist on criossing as we do we need to add someone that suits. I think we are crazy to think well payout for Haalznd or Mbappe but we neef omeone who can do tap ins or score from half chances

Required, 1 possibily 2 forwards who allow us change tactis in a game or impact of the bench

So thats 7 for me that need to come in with roughly the same going out

Adrian, Matip, Origi, minamino, Keita Gini, Ox with Kelleher and Neco going on loan and a ? over Millie
      « Last Edit: Apr 16, 2021 12:36:09 pm by Brian78 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,727 posts | 4210 
      Reply #171: Apr 16, 2021 01:46:50 pm
      With Wijnaldum on the way out, Henderson continuing to suffer injuries, Milner another year older and Thiago looking like someone on his final paycheck then I'd say from a glut of riches a couple of years back we've now got some big problems to solve in the middle of the park.

Yea I think an area that at the beginning of the season looked one of strength could be a weakness if we don't be careful. The good news is, Curtis Jones is looking like he'll be a fine player, Thiago should improve with an entire off-season and getting more comfortable with the starting defensive players that should have been behind him. Grujic is on loan correct? Wondering if he still has a part to play? I think he'd be good backup at least for Fabinho.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,727 posts | 4210 
      Reply #172: Apr 16, 2021 01:48:48 pm
      Lets break it down by area

Goalkeeper:

First choice is ok. Adrian likely to leave and in my opinion Kelleher should go on loan for more experience.

Backup keepee required

Defence:

Should have Gomez and VVD back next seasin. Kabak looks decent. We need a centre half on the level of Joe to come in fior me. Move Joel on, his injury record is a joke

I see most ex pros backing what I said a long long time ago Trent is too good a player for full back , and not a good enough defender. Move him to mid and sign a right full

Required, right full and centre half plus Kabak on a permanent

Midfield: 2 needed for me A replacement for Gini and Keita. Ideally one of the 2 is a creative type. Gravenberch and Rodrigo de Paul would be nice. Not sure if Id keep Ox or Milner at this point. But moving Trent here would mean only 1 needed

Required, 2 attack minded midfielders or move Trent

Forwards:

No doubt this will cause the most debate We have 4 exceptional forwards, but if we insist on criossing as we do we need to add someone that suits. I think we are crazy to think well payout for Haalznd or Mbappe but we neef omeone who can do tap ins or score from half chances

Required, 1 possibily 2 forwards who allow us change tactis in a game or impact of the bench

So thats 7 for me that need to come in with roughly the same going out

Adrian, Matip, Origi, minamino, Keita Gini, Ox with Kelleher and Neco going on loan and a ? over Millie

No way in hell we are bringing in 7 players.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,638 posts | 421 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #173: Apr 16, 2021 02:44:27 pm
      Would Isak be a good option? I feel he’d be an option different to what we have, looks a real talent, young, tall and strong, literally a drastically upgraded Origi.

Would actually suit the balls into the box.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #174: Apr 16, 2021 03:17:35 pm
      If money is tight and we need to bring in a forward to be a target man then we could do worse than Sorloth, yes I know he was crap at Palace but watching him recently for Norway I was genuinely surprised at how good he was. He was receiving the ball, holding it and then releasing other players plus he was working continually and providing a real goal threat, especially with headers!

BTW before everyone attacks me I'm not suggesting Sorloth is at the level of Mane and Salah etc but he would certainly be an upgrade on Origi and give us something different in attack.

Quick Reply