Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Squad overhaul

Read 17823 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Squad overhaul
      Feb 14, 2021 11:03:03 am
      Its been mentioned a few times in recent weeks about " breaking up " the squad. I think that phrase might be a bit strong. Refreshing might be a better way of saying it.

Before I go on its my personal belief that no matter how this season went that this coming summer it would have needed refreshing anyway.

The very nature of how the team play makes it hard to expect peak performances after 4 or 5 years. So trying to be realistic as possible where do we start?

Who stays? Alisson, Trent, Virgil, Robbo, Gomez, Hendo, Jones, Fabinho and Jota for me are the only ones Id say 100% will be part of the future.

Gini looks like going..I think Milner will be let go to. Then young lads like Kelleher and Neco would likely benefit from a season on loan playing regular. Shaq, Keita and Matip with the injury record of each surely have no future? Ox is a fringe player now at best which hardly suits him and his sale to bring in extra funds for new players would surely be better then having him playing bit parts. Origi another who we can offload

What of those out on loan now? Aside from Elliott Id sell. Minamino I like but again like Ox if we can get a good deal to yse the money on buying in better then lets do it.

So this brings us to the most argumentitive part. The front 3 and Thiago. 4 top draw players. Salah is up there with the best we have ever had. Bobby and Thiago will both be 30 by next srason..While both might benefit from a tweek in systems would we be better trying to offload now?

Mane and Mo are different class. The only reason for selling would be them looking to go or us getting mega money for one or both to rebuild the team.

So now who or what do we need in?

GK: A solid and experienced number 2 to let Kellher go on loan

Def: Another centre half, even if we keep Kabak. Upemacano seems regularly linked. Another right full in that allows Neco on loan and can challenge Trent for the spot ( or let us move Trent up)

Mid: A replacement for Gini. Gravenbergh is my one. Jones Hendo Fab, Thiago ( if we keep)  plus Gravenberg and one more

Attack: Depending on what we do with what we have Id love us either way to move for Haaland. I dont see Mpabbe as realistic..Add in someone like Giovanni Renya to give us different tactical options

So maybe 5 or 6 new faces in to freshen things up..Not a complete break up or overhaul but a fresh spark
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Squad overhaul
      Reply #1: Feb 14, 2021 11:14:18 am
      When we get all of our Injured players back, were still one of the best squads around.

Some new players have already came in, but had rotten luck with Injuries. The greek hardly kicked a ball, Jota flying then out for months, Thiago everton broke him for months, and now the new CB guy Injured already.  :mad:
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #2: Feb 14, 2021 11:17:20 am
      Its been mentioned a few times in recent weeks about " breaking up " the squad. I think that phrase might be a bit strong. Refreshing might be a better way of saying it.

Before I go on its my personal belief that no matter how this season went that this coming summer it would have needed refreshing anyway.

The very nature of how the team play makes it hard to expect peak performances after 4 or 5 years. So trying to be realistic as possible where do we start?

Who stays? Alisson, Trent, Virgil, Robbo, Gomez, Hendo, Jones, Fabinho and Jota for me are the only ones Id say 100% will be part of the future.

Gini looks like going..I think Milner will be let go to. Then young lads like Kelleher and Neco would likely benefit from a season on loan playing regular. Shaq, Keita and Matip with the injury record of each surely have no future? Ox is a fringe player now at best which hardly suits him and his sale to bring in extra funds for new players would surely be better then having him playing bit parts. Origi another who we can offload

What of those out on loan now? Aside from Elliott Id sell. Minamino I like but again like Ox if we can get a good deal to yse the money on buying in better then lets do it.

So this brings us to the most argumentitive part. The front 3 and Thiago. 4 top draw players. Salah is up there with the best we have ever had. Bobby and Thiago will both be 30 by next srason..While both might benefit from a tweek in systems would we be better trying to offload now?

Mane and Mo are different class. The only reason for selling would be them looking to go or us getting mega money for one or both to rebuild the team.

So now who or what do we need in?

GK: A solid and experienced number 2 to let Kellher go on loan

Def: Another centre half, even if we keep Kabak. Upemacano seems regularly linked. Another right full in that allows Neco on loan and can challenge Trent for the spot ( or let us move Trent up)

Mid: A replacement for Gini. Gravenbergh is my one. Jones Hendo Fab, Thiago ( if we keep)  plus Gravenberg and one more

Attack: Depending on what we do with what we have Id love us either way to move for Haaland. I dont see Mpabbe as realistic..Add in someone like Giovanni Renya to give us different tactical options

So maybe 5 or 6 new faces in to freshen things up..Not a complete break up or overhaul but a fresh spark

Offload Thiago ? Seriously we have just bought him and fully realised his age.  He has walked into  a team struggling after a very bad injury not happening
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #3: Feb 14, 2021 11:21:50 am
      Offload Thiago ? Seriously we have just bought him and fully realised his age.  He has walked into  a team struggling after a very bad injury not happening

I did not say offload him. I asked shoukd it be considered..Considered while he would still have suitors and get a good price. Further down i name him as one of four midfielders for next season
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #4: Feb 14, 2021 11:29:40 am
      I'd be looking at a top centre half, goalscoring midfielder and a top attacker.

Will have to make a decision on Neco as well and whether to sign a RB to push Trent.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5: Feb 14, 2021 11:32:09 am
      I'd be looking at a top centre half, goalscoring midfielder and a top attacker.

Will have to make a decision on Neco as well and whether to sign a RB to push Trent.

Any goalscoring mids in mind?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Feb 14, 2021 12:02:05 pm

Honestly don't watch much European football anymore. I quite like Sabitzer from Leipzig though- good engine on him, can hit a ball from outside the box, doesn't take sh*t from anyone either.

I don't think it necessarily has to be a Bruno type 20 goals a season player but we need someone who's a bit more dynamic than what we have - not afraid to go beyond the last defender to create space for others and can score a few goals from outside the box.

EDIT: Bayern have just announced Upamecano by the way.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #7: Feb 14, 2021 12:04:19 pm
      I know not super realistic, and it in FIFA land thinking... and like said before, fully fit, we take on anyone, but I’ll play along with my Career mode brain...

Gini I would keep but think will leave. Also tempted by Grujic as a keep option, impressed every time I’ve seen him, but I don’t think he falls into the plans, although I think he’d have been great to have this season.

GK:
      Keep - Allison, Pitaluga
      Buy - Vandevoordt
      Loan - Kelleher, Grabara
      Sell - Adrian, Karius

CB:
      Keep - Virgil, Gomez, Kabak, Davies
      Buy - White
      Loan - Rhys Williams, Van den Berg
      Sell - Matip, Phillips

FB:
      Keep - Trent, Robertson
      Buy - Lamptey, Frimpong
      Loan - Neco
      Sell - Tsimikas

MID :
      Keep - Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones,
      Buy - Bissouma, Gravenberch
      Loan -
      Sell - Gini, Milner, Grujic, Wilson, Woodburn

FWD:
      Keep - Salah, Mane, Firmino, Jota, Elliott, Taki
      Buy - Boadu
      Loan -
      Sell - Origi, Shaqiri, Ojo, Awoniyi

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #8: Feb 14, 2021 12:30:06 pm
      One all way through the spine CB,CM  who can play nearer front 3 , CF
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #9: Feb 14, 2021 03:49:03 pm
      Looking past the first 15 or so, the squad is thin. No getting away from that.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #10: Feb 14, 2021 04:08:51 pm
      So thats Upemacano off the list. The other one linked is the Brazilian at Torino, Gerson.

Id like Schurrs but dont think hes moving
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #11: Feb 14, 2021 04:13:28 pm
      GK;
      Keep; Allison, Kelleher, Buy; Vandevoort, that’s our No’s 1,2 & 3
      Loan; Pitaluga, Grabara

FB’s ; Trent Robbo, Tsimikas, Buy Lamptey,
      Loan ; Neco

CB’s; Virgil, Gomez, Kabak, Davies, Buy Rudiger
      Loan; Williams, Koumetio, Van den Berg
      Sell; Matip, Phillips

Mids; Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Jones, Milner,
      Sell ; Wijnaldom, Grujic, Wilson, Woodburn, Shaqiri
      Buy ; Ryan Gravenberch, Dominik Szobosziai

FWD’s, Salah, Mane, Firmino,  Jota, Elliot, Buy Jadon Sancho/ Haaland / Mbappe 😂
      Sell; Taki, Origi

I’ve already drafted a letter to J W Henry, so don’t worry guys I’m on it ? 😂

Y  N  W  A
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #12: Feb 14, 2021 05:12:53 pm
      Interesting 2 of you mention the same keeper. Never heard of him so looked him up. Only 18.

For me I think we need an experienced 2nd keeper, Reina maybe or that age group
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #13: Feb 14, 2021 05:27:32 pm
      We have loads of deadwood in this team, I do think we need to get jota fit and integrate Elliot into the fold and maybe next season sell one of the famous front three and make way for another big signing. Our midfield, defence and GK are fine once all fit. Maybe 1 more CB as a good backup.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #14: Feb 14, 2021 06:04:33 pm
      Julian Draxler available on a free, must be worth considering
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Feb 14, 2021 06:28:31 pm
      Julian Draxler available on a free, must be worth considering

Yep he’s quality, not sure of his age or his fitness status but you can’t let opportunities like this pass without having a look ?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #16: Feb 14, 2021 06:41:26 pm

Yep he’s quality, not sure of his age or his fitness status but you can’t let opportunities like this pass without having a look ?

When I seen hes out of contract in the summer fitness issues first thing I thought
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #17: Feb 14, 2021 06:44:32 pm
      When I seen hes out of contract in the summer fitness issues first thing I thought

That’s ok. We can get him back to speed to get injured  ;)
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #18: Feb 14, 2021 07:23:23 pm

Has our new training complex got its own hospital wing
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19: Feb 14, 2021 07:51:11 pm
      Seem to get this every summer, hasn't really happened before and won't happen this summer. 3 or 4 will leave and 2 or 3 will join
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #20: Feb 14, 2021 07:56:30 pm
      The owners won't be showing the colour of there money
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #21: Feb 14, 2021 08:05:44 pm
      I think its common knowledge that a winning team need to regularly turn over new players. While you're on top, most top drawer players will want to play for you. The current ones have to raise their game to stay included. it increases the intensity of your training and match play, and freshens everybody up.
      Stick with the regulars year on year and you stand still. Its what were doing now. We need new blood from the top draw, while we are still an attraction to play for. If we end up in mid table, (not saying we will) we won't get decent players to come in. Got to do something now. I know the transfer windows closed, but we need to make big plans for the summer.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #22: Feb 14, 2021 08:06:26 pm
      I can see us selling squad players like Shaqiri and ox and replacing them with free transfers like Depay and Draxler.

It all depends if players actually get sold. There might be no interest in origi and such like.

What needs to be done might not be what actually gets done.

Quick Reply