Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Squad overhaul

Read 17816 times
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Re: Squad overhaul
      Reply #46: Feb 16, 2021 01:16:29 pm
      I suggested that months ago, so I suggest you get ready for a beating now 😂

Haha. I’m due a good spanking.
      Ulsters_No1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts | 10 
      Reply #47: Feb 16, 2021 01:57:42 pm
      I agree with those Trent shouts btw. Imagine if he had a free role in that midfield to collect possession of the ball & ping it from side to side etc and not have to worry too much about defending  ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #48: Feb 16, 2021 02:05:37 pm
      I agree with those Trent shouts btw. Imagine if he had a free role in that midfield to collect possession of the ball & ping it from side to side etc and not have to worry too much about defending  ;D

Exactly. Go play ball. Do what ye do brilliantly but without having to worry about being caught out up the pitch
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #49: Feb 16, 2021 02:46:11 pm
      Exactly. Go play ball. Do what ye do brilliantly but without having to worry about being caught out up the pitch

Yeah mate, and at least if need I believed TAA has better recovery pace and tackling than Thiago.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #50: Feb 16, 2021 02:48:36 pm
      I wonder if klopp has any plans to move TAA into midfield.
      Sign another full back which could be cheaper than replacing gini.

Problem is Klopp's central midfielders seem have even more responsibility on defending than fullback, IMO.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #51: Feb 16, 2021 03:22:37 pm

Potentially but my concern is Trent is not the most physical or imposing player. Plus we lose a lot of attacking threat taking him off the wing.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #52: Feb 16, 2021 03:26:55 pm
      I don’t get the ‘its time we split our top three’ thingy, as modern footballers go, all three are in their pomp, it’s not as if all of a sudden their all past it, modern players these days are conditioned to last into their early 30’s, prime example being Milly, he’s looked after himself over the years and his holding his own at 35, not saying our three will last as long but their definitely not at the point where the exit door is looming,

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but we can alter it and this what I’d rather we do, for example, I’d drop Bobby back as a proper in the hole player in behind Mo Mane & Jota, in certain situations, it won’t always be viable so rotation will be key depending on opposition,

I would retain Fabinho & Henderson as the Steel but again can be tweaked depending on who we are playing, the system in itself will also need tweaking with the option of having a plan ‘B’ as well as a plan ‘C’,

At the moment in particular this season we’ve been one dimensional and the bus parkers have taken advantage as we have all sadly witnessed, next season we need to have the ability to change the way we attack, or defend at the drop of a hat without too much disruption, defensively wise it won’t happen very often because of how we press, but going the other way when we encounter your Allardyce type national express fuckwits we need to find a way through the double deckers ,

So say for example we started..... Alisson, Trent, Gomez, Virgil, Robbo, Fabinho Hendo, Thiago, Mo, Bobby Mane, in a 4-3-3, we could convert that into this... Alisson, Gomez, Virgil, Kabak, Hendo, Thiago Fabinho Jota, Mo Bobby Mane, in a 3-4-3,

Yes controversially we drop Trent & Robbo, bring on Kabak,  but the incessant crossing into a box full of 6ft + defenders isn’t working, so we go three at the back, four across the middle and the three amigos up top, but, we have Thiago, Bobby & Jota supplying Mane & Mo , with plenty of interaction between them creating havoc & panic in equal measure,

They are offering nothing going forward and are happy with ten behind the ball, if they did decide to counter, Hendo can drop back and help Fabinho,

Hopefully in the summer we can have a clear out, for me the leavers should be , Origi, Shaq, Ox, Grujic, Matip, Woodburn, Wilson, that’s seven that in all honesty we could find better relatively cheaply, three of those don’t feature at all and the others only fleetingly or are injury prone,

With the covid sh*t I honestly can’t see us spending the millions some expect, but it’s possible we could find only what we need that can carry us through next season and at the Same time the coffers will swell going into the following season and where we would probably need to expand our spending.

Y  N  W  A
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #53: Feb 16, 2021 04:58:36 pm
      With the covid sh*t I honestly can’t see us spending the millions some expect

Billy, do you think that is due to a lack of income for the club, or as respect to the many people who have been massively affected by covid ?
      It seems some clubs will continue to spend like theres no tomorrow, but Jürgen did suggest some time ago it was almost disrespectful.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #54: Feb 17, 2021 07:29:07 pm
      Think we would be insane not to go for Haaland in the summer.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #55: Feb 17, 2021 08:24:41 pm

If you could only have one between Haaland and Mbappe, who do you pick?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #56: Feb 17, 2021 08:33:19 pm

Haaland for me just scored again tonight
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #57: Feb 17, 2021 08:38:17 pm

Honestly Haaland
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #58: Feb 17, 2021 11:19:22 pm

Agreed.

But I wouldn't kick Mbappe out of bed either (in a manner of speaking).

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #59: Feb 17, 2021 11:21:49 pm
      Billy, do you think that is due to a lack of income for the club, or as respect to the many people who have been massively affected by covid ?
      It seems some clubs will continue to spend like theres no tomorrow, but Jürgen did suggest some time ago it was almost disrespectful.

I missed this. Did he mean the club should use that kind of money to contribute to the CoVid relief effort? I'm not sure I understand.

I mean, on one level the amount of money paid for transfers and wages is obscene when you look at the poverty that still afflicts so many people around the world, but unless we're going totally pure on something like that, why not continue to pursue our goals in the best way we can? Part of that includes a responsible  but ambitious transfer policy.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #60: Feb 18, 2021 12:44:16 am
      I think we should go all in to sign that Arda Turan.....
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #61: Feb 18, 2021 12:53:45 am

Sorry for the delay in responding mate,

This covid sh*t in my opinion will probably change the way Clubs globally conduct business, the powers at be have the opportunity to rewrite transfer policy throughout the whole of football, it has to, or football will die,

First thing to put in place is a salary cap, and also a transfer ceiling, we will still have those mega mega rich clubs who think they can just wave a cheque book to get their man, but that has to stop,

Like businesses all around the world the equivalent financial Armageddon has hit even the biggest conglomerates, you don’t have to look too far in our own ownership to see how it’s affected them,

Anyhoo, it’s obviously going to have a major impact on how much we can use for transfers next season, this talk of bringing in the likes of Haaland I just can’t see happening, unless we can get him for £40m, at the moment we’d get his right shin guard for that, but seriously though as hard as it will be to accept, I really can’t see us having too much to spend, unless of course J W H dips into his own coffers and that’s not going to happen,

What I think might happen is, we will get what Jürgen thinks will see us through to the next season, we’re not in too bad a shape when we have the likes of Virgil, Joe , Fabinho, Keita, and Jota all fit & healthy, add the 2/3 new lads, to replace the deadwood and we still have a very good squad

We won’t be the only ones who will struggle with available funds, only the mega rich oil backed clubs will be ok, ie City, can’t see Abramovic chucking any more roubles at Tuchel, Glazers are skint, and Levy is as tight as a Otters bum hole, I think we’ll be alright , with us being back at full strength I know who my money will
      be on for the title next season.

Y  N  W  A
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #62: Feb 18, 2021 01:48:49 am

Would be brilliant, but I'm sure he will be courted by others willing to pay 2x or 3x the transfer fee and wages that we are.... :(
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 10 
      Reply #63: Feb 19, 2021 11:00:31 am

I was discussing this with my son, he'd prefer Mbappe ( reckon if he doesn't stay at PSG he will go for between 80-100 million). In his last year of contract.
      Haaland will probably go for 75-100million.
      Personally i would go for Haaland but shitty will be sniffing and his dad used to play for them, as good as bobby is and has been,  look at all the draws against low block teams, we need a CF with pace and power.
      Its time for FSG to pull the dollars out in the summer
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #64: Feb 19, 2021 11:32:16 am

I'd doubt it the longer he plays at RB.

Personally I used to think he'd be better moving into midfield but not so sure now. Although I do feel he could be developed into a 6 but on form he offers so much from full back I'd be loath to move him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #65: Feb 19, 2021 03:19:10 pm
      I'd doubt it the longer he plays at RB.

Personally I used to think he'd be better moving into midfield but not so sure now. Although I do feel he could be developed into a 6 but on form he offers so much from full back I'd be loath to move him.

Yeah, if he improves a bit on his defending then its by far the best position for him, especially in our team.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #66: Feb 19, 2021 03:22:29 pm

Same.

We need a player like Haaland more and his stats are actually better than Mbappe's this season.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #67: Feb 19, 2021 09:55:18 pm
      Looking forward 18 months or so

Kelleher

Neco
      Kabak
      VVD
      Robbo

Trent