Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Squad overhaul

Read 17837 times
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Re: Squad overhaul
      Reply #69: Feb 19, 2021 10:41:39 pm
      😬

Why you do Joe and Fab like that?
      That was just a typical starting XI, they are well included and part of the squad and rotational team. Possibly not the most reliable fittest though.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #70: Feb 20, 2021 01:12:11 am
      Yeah, if he improves a bit on his defending then its by far the best position for him, especially in our team.

Trent's defense needs to improve more than "a bit", though. He is not PL level at times. That he got skinned by Sterling, fine, he has done that to many defenders better than Trent, but you look at Brighton's goal and he showed no positional awareness and left the opposing player all alone which allowed him to calmy head the ball into the middle of the box for their goal. Or against Southampton, where he actually moved away from the ball instead of blocking the lob/pass. Or against Leipzig in the first half where luckily they were offside, but the replay showed Trent running back down the middle with a RBL player completely alone on the right wing. He is a world class passer / crosses of the ball, but when that part of his game is struggling he is a total liability out there.

The squad overall is nowhere near needing an overhaul or major changes, but definitely gradual ones to star the process of bringing in the next wave of quality players who will take over the aging ones over the next 2-3 years.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #71: Feb 20, 2021 11:56:36 am
      Looking forward 18 months or so

Kelleher

Neco
      Kabak
      VVD
      Robbo

Trent
      Jones
      Jota

Neto
      Mpabbe
      Haaland

Just for fun, but not bad.

Only net loss £80m estimated

Bit top heavy that mate 😂

Swapped the best goalie in the world for a reserve and packed the midfield with a wing back, striker and creative midfielder. £80m net loss to get bossed in the middle of the park against any half decent side
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #72: Feb 20, 2021 07:32:19 pm
      More relevant topic now I think
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #73: Feb 20, 2021 08:20:38 pm
      There’s so many that should be heading out the door and so many needed to come in it’s hard to see it happening in one window, even two.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #74: Feb 20, 2021 08:25:57 pm
      There’s so many that should be heading out the door and so many needed to come in it’s hard to see it happening in one window, even two.

Not sure its that many
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #75: Feb 20, 2021 08:33:48 pm
      Still as I said a CF , CM and CB possibly a RB also
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #76: Feb 20, 2021 08:53:34 pm
      I’d argue a decent older back up goalie too so Kelleher can go out on loan, lads got potential if he played more often.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #77: Feb 20, 2021 09:06:23 pm

Wouldn't mind a look at that Lamptey from Brighton. Achievable target as well with no Champions League.
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #78: Feb 20, 2021 09:22:58 pm
      I’d argue a decent older back up goalie too so Kelleher can go out on loan, lads got potential if he played more often.

Possibly yes will need some game time
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #79: Feb 20, 2021 09:24:06 pm
      Wouldn't mind a look at that Lamptey from Brighton. Achievable target as well with no Champions League.

Good player what I have seen not sure they would shell out for him though when there are other glaring needs probably priority
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #80: Feb 21, 2021 09:21:57 pm
      We just have to overhaul.

No time to be sentimental!
      « Last Edit: Feb 21, 2021 09:29:05 pm by AussieRed »
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #81: Feb 21, 2021 09:33:26 pm
      Every team needs to refresh periodically. Our time was after the season we won the league.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #82: Feb 22, 2021 06:23:47 am
      I think we missed the glorious chance to add on to the already good squad. Now rebuilding will be even difficult without CL next season. Also with Klopp leaving at 2024, young players would think twice before joining .
      Fingers crossed to finish top 4 this season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #83: Feb 22, 2021 07:36:31 am
      Right now, Id be happy with a fully fit existing squad.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #84: Feb 22, 2021 08:33:19 pm
      I think we missed the glorious chance to add on to the already good squad. Now rebuilding will be even difficult without CL next season. Also with Klopp leaving at 2024, young players would think twice before joining .
      Fingers crossed to finish top 4 this season.

Or win the c**t!!
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #85: Feb 23, 2021 01:54:53 pm
      A refresh i think is appropriate with a couple players out and a couple brought in. Just to change the dynamic a little.

Neco is not trusted right now so he needs to go on loan and bring in an older RB who can give Trent a breather.

With Gini likely leaving, and possibly Milner, will need a new midfielder, maybe 2. I am intrigued if Grujic can be one of them, but haven't seen much of him at Porto. Maybe Klopp wants to cycle out one of Shaqiri / Ox and bring in a new face as well, but i don't see that as a "must do".

Up front Origi should go and bring in another Jota-type player. That'd make us 5-deep up front all with quality and allow us to rotate more.

That's all we really need at this time, but the retooling will take a few years to slowly cycle out the older players and bring their long-term replacements in.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #86: Feb 23, 2021 02:33:09 pm
      Jesus, where to start in this.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #87: Feb 23, 2021 02:36:08 pm

Stick the kettle on get a nice pack of biscuits, take a deep breath, and go for it
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #88: Feb 23, 2021 03:18:47 pm
      Probably more an overhaul of "squad players" as opposed to an overhaul of the squad. I'd still argue that when everybody is fit, we probably have the best first 11 in the world and I wouldn't consider parting with any of them really unless a crazy offer were to come in. Obviously it looks like Gini will be off regardless but that is out of our control.

There's a few squad players who a lot of people are in agreement about that their time is probably up - Origi, Shaqiri & Oxlade Chamberlain. All have produced moments of brilliance in big games during their time here, and won't be considered bad signings by any means, but for a concoction of reasons (injuries, lack of opportunities and maybe a lack of motivation after recent success) it seems as though it might be best for both parties that they move on this summer. All three are under the age of 30 too, so financially speaking now would probably be the best time to sell as opposed to persevering for another few years.

We'll probably see the likes of Harry Wilson & Marko Grujic leave for good in the summer too - I'd hazard a guess that the club planned on selling them last summer, but due to Covid and the financial restraints on certain clubs, there was a lack of potential buyers. Milner's contract is up at the end of the season and it looks likely that he'll be leaving too. We obviously won't be receiving a fee for him but I believe he earns around 150k a week, which would make him one of our top earners - so a good chunk off the wage budget to reinvest.

That's the departures, in terms of arrivals I think it'll just be a case of signing some hungry, ambitious, up & coming players who can challenge and / or break into the first team and allow us to challenge on all fronts next season. Jota is the perfect example of that type of player, but unfortunately he's been unavailable for a large part of the season. If we're able to sign a few players in the same ilk as him to bring into various areas of the squad (and of course they're able to stay fit), then it'll be game on next season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #89: Feb 23, 2021 03:47:42 pm
      This list is probably who will 100% leave. Only 2 are 1st team players, and only 1 is a regular starter. But even this list gives scope to get the squad freshened up.

1) Gini
      2) Divok
      3) wilson
      4) Grujic
      5) Woodburn

Id say we defo need better cover at RB, if Kabak & Davies work out, we have CB covered. We could then spend big on Gini & Divok's replacements.

Id expect Taki & Elliott to come back from loans they take woodburn & Wilsons spots.

On the fringes Id say OX & Naby have 1 more season, but can they stay fit? are they happy being subs especially ox, as hes hardly started much lately.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #90: Feb 23, 2021 04:13:59 pm
      Bin --  Origi, Shaq, Keita, Chambo, and Matip

Sign -- a goal scoring #9, a creative #10, a CM to replace Gini if he leaves, and a CB to replace Matip. 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #91: Feb 23, 2021 05:41:26 pm
      Bin --  Origi, Shaq, Keita, Chambo, and Matip

Sign -- a goal scoring #9, a creative #10, a CM to replace Gini if he leaves, and a CB to replace Matip. 

Agreed on all.

Should fetch us around £100 mill towards new signings.

Just need Edwards to work his magic again in the Summer window.

Quick Reply