Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Squad overhaul

Read 17821 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Re: Squad overhaul
      Reply #161: Apr 15, 2021 05:27:22 pm
      One player whose future I'm particularly interested in is Thiago.  It hasn't really worked out the way we all had imagined.  He's an unbelievable player, but just doesn't quite seem to fit into our team/system.  With him entering the final stretch of his prime, I wouldn't be surprised to see him request a move -- a return home to Barca could even be on the cards. 

It also feels like the end of the road for Gini, Ox, and Keita -- we may have a ton of turnover at CM this summer. 
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #162: Apr 15, 2021 05:31:39 pm
      Thiago hasnt played in our proper system yet (everton fukin game apart).

Our system includes VVD & hendo. 2 massive cogs in the wheel.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #163: Apr 15, 2021 05:33:39 pm
      One player whose future I'm particularly interested in is Thiago.  It hasn't really worked out the way we all had imagined.  He's an unbelievable player, but just doesn't quite seem to fit into our team/system.  With him entering the final stretch of his prime, I wouldn't be surprised to see him request a move -- a return home to Barca could even be on the cards. 

It also feels like the end of the road for Gini, Ox, and Keita -- we may have a ton of turnover at CM this summer.

Yea that’s potentially 3 or 4 midfielders leaving though doesn’t necessarily mean we need to buy 3 or 4 players.

Jones deserves a bigger role and Klopp may decide to give Grujic a spot on the team, for example.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #164: Apr 15, 2021 11:50:35 pm
      Yea that’s potentially 3 or 4 midfielders leaving though doesn’t necessarily mean we need to buy 3 or 4 players.

Jones deserves a bigger role and Klopp may decide to give Grujic a spot on the team, for example.

I keep seeing these shouts and mentions of Grujic. I have never really seen him play in all honesty, but he’s what, 23/24? If it hasn’t happened by now then I don’t think it ever will. I do think our midfield needs work this summer but if we are looking at a lad who has been sent out on loan god knows how many times then I would be very disappointed. 
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #165: Apr 16, 2021 12:45:09 am
      I keep seeing these shouts and mentions of Grujic. I have never really seen him play in all honesty, but he’s what, 23/24? If it hasn’t happened by now then I don’t think it ever will. I do think our midfield needs work this summer but if we are looking at a lad who has been sent out on loan god knows how many times then I would be very disappointed.

He turned 25 a couple days ago so if not this summer he’s never going to make it here. He does get reasonable playing time at Porto so he could serve as a good depth player, a role I would not be opposed to for him. Certainly not a regular but if he can play cup games and late minutes when the game is decided I think it’s worth it instead of spending money on someone else to serve a smaller role.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #166: Apr 16, 2021 11:24:21 am
      He turned 25 a couple days ago so if not this summer he’s never going to make it here. He does get reasonable playing time at Porto so he could serve as a good depth player, a role I would not be opposed to for him. Certainly not a regular but if he can play cup games and late minutes when the game is decided I think it’s worth it instead of spending money on someone else to serve a smaller role.

Not for me, decent enough player but not at the level we will require, his stock would have risen from his loan spell and so therefore the dollar’s we will get from his sale, hard to put a figure on value but whatever it is we could offset that against a new higher quality individual.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #167: Apr 16, 2021 11:41:59 am
      We don't need a huge overhaul, just need one more CB, one more MF and one proper target man up front. I would then let Matip, Gini, Bobby and Origi leave, plus possibly Keita and Shaq although they would need replacing.

At CB I'd get Konate or someone similar, MF I'd like Odegaard but I'm sure there are plenty of other contenders. Up front is the trickiest situation but I'd actually be quite tempted to put a bid in for Kane. Haaland and Mbappe are unrealistic but we certainly need a proper striker/target man with height and strength.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #168: Apr 16, 2021 11:55:36 am
      Yep he’s been doing it week in and out and despite it being totally fruitless it continues to happen.

I would like to spend the summer categorizing the goals we've scored in the 5+ seasons since Jürgen has been here. It seems like it was weighted much more heavily to counter-attacking, prrdding and breakaway rush type goals prior to this season and maybe last. The long passes out of the back (including from the goalkeeper)  have so often been key, but it doesn't seem to be as typical especially this season.

Might be a fun project for the close season, watching all of our goals.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #169: Apr 16, 2021 11:59:48 am
      Surprised people feel we only need 1 or 2 in.

4th at best this season. Even when we dominated we upgraded. This team needs nrw blood to spark it and Id say that even if we won the league and champions league double this year
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #170: Apr 16, 2021 12:27:34 pm
      Lets break it down by area

Goalkeeper:

First choice is ok. Adrian likely to leave and in my opinion Kelleher should go on loan for more experience.

Backup keepee required

Defence:

Should have Gomez and VVD back next seasin. Kabak looks decent. We need a centre half on the level of Joe to come in fior me. Move Joel on, his injury record is a joke

I see most ex pros backing what I said a long long time ago Trent is too good a player for full back , and not a good enough defender. Move him to mid and sign a right full

Required, right full and centre half plus Kabak on a permanent

Midfield: 2 needed for me A replacement for Gini and Keita. Ideally one of the 2 is a creative type. Gravenberch and Rodrigo de Paul would be nice. Not sure if Id keep Ox or Milner at this point. But moving Trent here would mean only 1 needed

Required, 2 attack minded midfielders or move Trent

Forwards:

No doubt this will cause the most debate We have 4 exceptional forwards, but if we insist on criossing as we do we need to add someone that suits. I think we are crazy to think well payout for Haalznd or Mbappe but we neef omeone who can do tap ins or score from half chances

Required, 1 possibily 2 forwards who allow us change tactis in a game or impact of the bench

So thats 7 for me that need to come in with roughly the same going out

Adrian, Matip, Origi, minamino, Keita Gini, Ox with Kelleher and Neco going on loan and a ? over Millie
      « Last Edit: Apr 16, 2021 12:36:09 pm by Brian78 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #171: Apr 16, 2021 01:46:50 pm
      With Wijnaldum on the way out, Henderson continuing to suffer injuries, Milner another year older and Thiago looking like someone on his final paycheck then I'd say from a glut of riches a couple of years back we've now got some big problems to solve in the middle of the park.

Yea I think an area that at the beginning of the season looked one of strength could be a weakness if we don't be careful. The good news is, Curtis Jones is looking like he'll be a fine player, Thiago should improve with an entire off-season and getting more comfortable with the starting defensive players that should have been behind him. Grujic is on loan correct? Wondering if he still has a part to play? I think he'd be good backup at least for Fabinho.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #172: Apr 16, 2021 01:48:48 pm

Goalkeeper:

First choice is ok. Adrian likely to leave and in my opinion Kelleher should go on loan for more experience.

Backup keepee required

Defence:

Should have Gomez and VVD back next seasin. Kabak looks decent. We need a centre half on the level of Joe to come in fior me. Move Joel on, his injury record is a joke

I see most ex pros backing what I said a long long time ago Trent is too good a player for full back , and not a good enough defender. Move him to mid and sign a right full

Midfield: 2 needed for me A replacement for Gini and Keita. Ideally one of the 2 is a creative type. Gravenberch and Rodrigo de Paul would be nice. Not sure if Id keep Ox or Milner at this point. But moving Trent here would mean only 1 needed

Forwards:

No doubt this will cause the most debate We have 4 exceptional forwards, but if we insist on criossing as we do we need to add someone that suits. I think we are crazy to think well payout for Haalznd or Mbappe but we neef omeone who can do tap ins or score from half chances

Required, 1 possibily 2 forwards who allow us change tactis in a game or impact of the bench

Adrian, Matip, Origi, minamino, Keita Gini, Ox with Kelleher and Neco going on loan and a ? over Millie

No way in hell we are bringing in 7 players.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #173: Apr 16, 2021 02:44:27 pm
      Would Isak be a good option? I feel he’d be an option different to what we have, looks a real talent, young, tall and strong, literally a drastically upgraded Origi.

Would actually suit the balls into the box.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #174: Apr 16, 2021 03:17:35 pm
      If money is tight and we need to bring in a forward to be a target man then we could do worse than Sorloth, yes I know he was crap at Palace but watching him recently for Norway I was genuinely surprised at how good he was. He was receiving the ball, holding it and then releasing other players plus he was working continually and providing a real goal threat, especially with headers!

BTW before everyone attacks me I'm not suggesting Sorloth is at the level of Mane and Salah etc but he would certainly be an upgrade on Origi and give us something different in attack.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #175: Apr 16, 2021 03:24:41 pm
      With Wijnaldum on the way out, Henderson continuing to suffer injuries, Milner another year older and Thiago looking like someone on his final paycheck then I'd say from a glut of riches a couple of years back we've now got some big problems to solve in the middle of the park.

Agreed.

I've been thinking for a while; whereas the spine of the squad has done us well over the last 3-4 years; the sun appears to be setting on the Klopp era.

Curtis Jones, Trent Alexander-Arnold are the two players who I think will boss our midfield in the years to come - I'm happy with that. Gerrard will be, too.

Whether the scouts have an expansive list of players they've got their eye on, your guess is as good as mine!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #176: Apr 16, 2021 03:38:18 pm
      Priority areas have to be a couple of centre halves and a striker with a central midfielder not too far behind.

Right back and back up keeper (Kelleher out on loan) would be the other areas that need looking at.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #177: Apr 16, 2021 05:52:12 pm
      Priority areas have to be a couple of centre halves and a striker with a central midfielder not too far behind.

Right back and back up keeper (Kelleher out on loan) would be the other areas that need looking at.

IMO, if we sign Kabak permanently, Nat is Matip replacement if Joel leave. We expect VvD and Joe comeback at their level so for me no need for a new CB.
      Jones is Gini replacement, so in midfield if we cannot get someone exceptional like KDB or Bruno Fernandes (just for example) then no need to waste money on backup player who never play a game.
      I think we still miss one miracle maker, player like Gerrard at heart of midfield, defienitely miss one.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #178: Apr 16, 2021 05:55:07 pm

I think we still miss one miracle maker, player like Gerrard at heart of midfield, defienitely miss one.

It's the ability Gerrard had for grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck and literally dragging the team with him. We definitely have no one like that currently in our midfield.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #179: Apr 16, 2021 06:08:14 pm
      It's the ability Gerrard had for grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck and literally dragging the team with him. We definitely have no one like that currently in our midfield.

Rocking horse poo comes to mind.
      HuytonRed
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts | 14 
      Reply #180: Apr 16, 2021 06:40:25 pm
      Agreed.

I've been thinking for a while; whereas the spine of the squad has done us well over the last 3-4 years; the sun appears to be setting on the Klopp era.

Curtis Jones, Trent Alexander-Arnold are the two players who I think will boss our midfield in the years to come - I'm happy with that. Gerrard will be, too.

Whether the scouts have an expansive list of players they've got their eye on, your guess is as good as mine!
      sun setting on the Klopp era?  Probably setting on Liverpool then.  We do not have the resources to compete at the highest level.  It has taken the genius of Klopp to get us to levels previously undreamed of.  Wonderful manager and person.  Gerrard is a shadow in comparison.  Let Klopp build again if necessary.  But writing him off after a 1-season dip - and a soulless, injury-riddled season at that - is short-sighted. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #181: Apr 16, 2021 06:52:20 pm

Goalkeeper:

Backup keepee required

Defence:

Forwards:

Each to their own mate,  here's mine,

GK, Adrian sold, Kelleher promoted, Grabara loaned, maybe new face

Ok @ LB, but Tsimikas needs game time,
      New quality RB to cover Trent,  Neco sold, not of a standard we need

CB's   Matip sold, Too many injuries,  Konate brought in, Virgil & Joe mains, with back up/competition from Konate, Nat & Kabak,  Williams loaned out,

Mids       Outs- Ox, Shaq,  Grujic,  Mina,
                       Ins-   Gravenberch,  Odegaard, Raphiha, Bousouma

Fwd,    Origi out, wouldn't mind Sancho  or Jimenez come in

Milner retained, can't buy his experience nor his leadership, Naby in last chance saloon, there is a player in there somewhere,  Henderson not under debate.

First phase of the rebuild, unlikely to get them all 😁, but we can live in hope!

YNWA

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #182: Apr 16, 2021 09:18:58 pm
      For me...

GK: Alison
      GK: ???

RB: TAA
      RB: Williams

LB: Robertson
      LB: Tsimakas

CB: VVD
      CB: Davies
      CB: Gomez
      CB: ???

CM: Henderson
      CM: Fabinho
      CM: Thiago
      CM: Jones
      CM: ???
      CM: ???

ST: Salah
      ST: Jota
      ST: Mane
      ST: Elliott
      ST: Minamino
      ST: ???

I would definitely get rid of Adrian, karius, matip, Phillips, keita, ox, Shaqiri, harry wilson, grujic, origi and firmino. Gini will probably leave anyway and Milner will may be tempted but I would keep him in the squad.
      I’m guessing we would get 80-100m for those players mentioned.

verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #183: Apr 16, 2021 09:31:26 pm
      Harvey Elliott with another goal tonight, needs to be back next season

Quick Reply