Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: RB Leipzig vs Liverpool 16/2/2021 8pm

Read 4965 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Re: Pre-Match: RB Leipzig vs Liverpool 16/2/2021 8pm
      Reply #23: Feb 15, 2021 12:39:53 pm
      We just need to be in the tie for the second leg.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Feb 15, 2021 12:44:18 pm
      Leipzig come into this the form team, think have won their last 4 games, we've lost our last 3 - so taking nothing for granted.
      Lot of things for Jürgen to decide:
      - does he start Ali - know it would be tough to drop him after 2 poor games, but this is knockout so we might not have the chance to let him play his way back to form, and his form has been really poor - Kelleher might be in with a shout - tough choice
      - CB partnership - f***in sick of this CB crap at this stage - but anyway - if Fab is fit would play him there - probably would stick Hendo there too - Kabak still looks a bit green and short a bit of pace - Davies isn't featuring yet under Jürgen - so maybe Nat?! There's no good options here for the boss, he just has to go with what he thinks is the least bad
      - middle probably Jones/Gini/Thiago
      - up front Mo/Bob/Mane

Going into this more hopeful than expectant.
      Jürgen looked low after Leicester, and the team moral can't be much better.
      It's going to take a huge effort and turnaround in form to get past Leipzig over two legs.
      Really hope we can manage it and keep one iron in the fire.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25: Feb 15, 2021 01:12:59 pm
      Just watching the lads training and think Ben Davies is there and as expected no Fab
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #26: Feb 15, 2021 01:15:08 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #27: Feb 15, 2021 01:17:52 pm
      With a shaky defence we need to go full throttle heavy metal, push them back and outscore them.

Or go very defensive, perhaps deploy 3CB's and go low block with counter attack.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #28: Feb 15, 2021 01:18:01 pm
      Yes Naby lad
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #29: Feb 15, 2021 01:26:24 pm
      Just read Paul Mersons thoughts on our situation. Bang on the money if you ask me, joint favourites next season when VVD is back in. Even he agrees our luck has been awful.

I personally quite like Merson as a pundit. Truthful and usually not far from how it is...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #30: Feb 15, 2021 01:36:06 pm
      If we go full throttle, we’ll win this. We can’t go too defensive with our likely previously untried defence, and expect them to hold out. Just don’t leave acres of space behind for Leipzig to exploit, and we’ll be fine.
      Just outscore them, our luck has to change somewhen, why not tomorrow 🤷‍♂️
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #31: Feb 15, 2021 02:11:36 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

I would put Phillips and Kabak and if they click, I would leave them for the rest of the campaign.

I would rotate Firmino with Shaqiri. We may see AOC rather Thiago, depending on his fitness.

We need to win this game so at least we will have something to look forward too :)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #32: Feb 15, 2021 02:20:55 pm
      Anyone see a lot of these? Are they the same set up as last time we met?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #33: Feb 15, 2021 03:21:07 pm
      Anyone see a lot of these? Are they the same set up as last time we met?

Well they were battered 5-0 by the Mancs but are second in their league and been on a good run.

Not going to be easy at all this one IMO.

rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #34: Feb 15, 2021 04:19:29 pm
      Had us as slight favourites when crowds allowed not sure anymore just imagine how they would cope without Konate  and Upecamono like we have to so cruel these injuries in one position
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35: Feb 15, 2021 04:49:03 pm
      Had us as slight favourites when crowds allowed not sure anymore just imagine how they would cope without Konate  and Upecamono like we have to so cruel these injuries in one position

It depends on our forwards, if they turn up then we win, if not then we are fu**ed!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #36: Feb 15, 2021 04:56:19 pm
      Since this is a two legged affair I’d take a gamble and have a Phillips & Kabak CB pairing, especially if Fabinho is back, otherwise I’d have Henderson as the DM in front of them, Trent & Robbo either side with, Thiago & Gini / Henderson in midfield, Salah Mane & Bobby up top,
      Alisson has been total f***in gash of late and normally I’d have him sit this one out, however, only Kelleher’s lack of European experience keeps him out of my X1.......

With Fabinho......

Alisson
                                                     Trent   Phillips   Kabak   Robbo
                                                            Henderson   Fabinho
                                                                     Alcantara
                                                           Salah   Firmino   Mane

Without Fabinho.....                                    Alisson
                                                      Trent   Phillips   Kabak   Robbo
                                                           Henderson   Wijnaldom
                                                                     Alcantara
                                                             Salah  Firmino  Mane

Wafer thin Bench ; Kelleher, Neco, Rhys, Jones, Shaqiri, Oxlaid, Tsimikas, Origi, Clarkson

I think it’s more likely we will see Hendo with Kabak again, with a Gini, Jones & Thiago midfield trio and the usual suspects atop, but again it kind of stifles how we play, we lose so much without Hendo & Fabinho controlling with the creativity of Thiago, it also allows Bobby to drop back creating the space for Thiago to slot thru balls in between defenders and allows Mane & Mo and of course Bobby room to do their magical best,

It’s why I’d gamble and have Phillips with Kabak, we may not have Fabinho but with Henderson as DM, he can control and give support to the CB’s, it is a gamble but one I think worth taking, what have we got to lose ?  :f_whistle:

1-2 European Royalty

Y  N  W  A

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2021 05:06:46 pm by billythered »
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #37: Feb 15, 2021 05:12:06 pm
      First things first: does the away-goal-rule apply, so that if we score a goal tomorrow it would count as a tiebreaker? I ask because the game is played not in Leipzig and without fans and wasn't that what once triggered this rule (= goals more valueable in hostile enviroment)?

I'd urge Jürgen to try to force Phillips and Williams/Kabak/Davies to play at CB to free Hendo and later Fab to where they are really strong. The last weeks have shown no benefit of Hendo playing CB. I'd also urge Jürgen to play like Mourinho's Spurs, at least a little bit more like them.

I hope for a draw at least. We need to try to win the CL and when you hear that VVD is back in Liverpool and Jota+Fab are two weeks away then we could still have a decent shot.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Re: RB Leipzig vs Liverpool 16/2/2021 8pm
      Reply #38: Feb 15, 2021 06:24:18 pm

Personally think all european football should be on hold while theres travel bans. crazy both teams travelling to a neutral venue.

Unfortunately it's all about the TV Benjamins. 

I agree with you 100% in that all inter European Club football competitions should have been suspended. In addition I think all International football should have been shelved until the bug was under control/vaccines throughout the world etc. Having players fly all over the world is lunacy in my opinion.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #39: Feb 15, 2021 07:16:33 pm
      In the end one thing will smooth over conflict and "crisis" and unhappy football supporters: Winning football matches. When the team get back to winning ways, and they will soon enough, then people will stop grinding their teeth (and some will find something else to complain about, again).

This string of results provides a big spotlight on the quality and character of fan support. The words "You'll Never Walk Alone" either mean something or they don't.

Happy to stand arm in arm with so many passionate supporters on here who like to talk about the team, the good, the bad, the highs the lows, but always in support.  Also happy to ignore a few others, who definitely are not walking in support, whether they think they are or not.

Now let's fight for a win on Tuesday.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #40: Feb 15, 2021 08:26:23 pm
      Thiago should know how Leipzig play from his Bundesliga days so I imagine his information to be valuable .Probably a nervous centre half pairing with Davies and Philips but might be worth a try, maybe for the first half anyway ,Could do with away goals from our front 3 with some creation from Hendo , Thiago and Gini
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #41: Feb 15, 2021 08:57:15 pm
      Going for a 2-1 win...
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #42: Feb 15, 2021 09:12:10 pm
      Liverpool still 3rd favourites for the champions league! Crazy considering our form and injuries.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #43: Feb 16, 2021 01:18:08 am
      Well they were battered 5-0 by the Mancs but are second in their league and been on a good run.

Not going to be easy at all this one IMO.

The man u game wasn't a 5-0 game,it flattered man u and they battered them at home in the first half even though Utd nearly got a undeserved draw in the second half when they sat back a little.I think we have an advantage it's not being played at their home ground in Germany as their record in the league at home is 9 wins from 11 games with 1 defeat,Leipzig play with a high tempo with and without the ball,both their wingbacks are quick and like to venture forward.I will be happy with a score draw to take them back to Anfield where hopefully our home form will improve by March.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #44: Feb 16, 2021 05:17:59 am
      Liverpool still 3rd favourites for the champions league! Crazy considering our form and injuries.

Bettieng odds mainly reflect the disposition of bettors, more than any real analysis of a team's chances. If the bookies know there are a lot of peeps who want to take a.flutter on Liverpool, their odds will go shorter, regardless if it is a smart play. Those shops' first priority is to guarantee their profit.

Ulsters_No1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts | 10 
      Reply #45: Feb 16, 2021 09:41:00 am
      Interesting build up to this one. I have the feeling Liverpool that we all know & love are going to turn up (just like that Atalanta game where every pundit and their granny fancied Atalanta).

Don't think Ali will be dropped - think Jürgen will see that as doing him more harm than good. Don't think we will see anybody other than Hendo plus another at CB (as much as Id love a proper CB pairing).

As a few have said, one or two away goals will set us up nicely. Not expecting a win due to the form - score draw for me.

Quick Reply