Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Players you would liked us to have signed

Read 8142 times
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Re: Players you would liked us to have signed
      Reply #115: Feb 19, 2021 09:48:23 am

Because it would cost us 150m for the player then probably break the wage structure.
      More likely we will sign a striker from one of the relegated teams.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #116: Feb 19, 2021 11:37:51 am
      As much as Shearer annoys the hell out of me on MOTD he would have been a phenomenal signing at that time.

Another one that I always wanted to sign, who did sign, and didn't work out was Robbie Keane.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #117: Feb 19, 2021 11:47:29 am
      Haaland another who has proven his ability, but I’ve said it before and I’ll do so again. Mbappe is the new Pelè. No higher praise than that imo...

Maradonna.....no ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #118: Feb 19, 2021 05:27:09 pm
      Already stated in past post Mark. Basically I don't think you'll be able to meet the transfer fee but more importantly the wages. FSG won't do it.

This is one of those "marquee" signings they won't say no to. Same as when they went all in on Rodriguez for the Red Sox.

Shirt sales alone will leave them counting the $$$$$.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #119: Feb 19, 2021 05:32:48 pm

Shirt sales alone will leave them counting the $$$$$.

To be fair Red I think shirt sales would be massive no matter what club he goes to.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #120: Feb 19, 2021 05:48:47 pm

Not for me. In my opinion Pelé was the original superstar and still the greatest. How he got chopped to bits and still achieved what he did is nothing short of mind boggling. The likes of Messi and Ronaldo can only dream of being that good...

ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #121: Feb 19, 2021 06:30:17 pm
      seemingly he is quite pally with our owner as well. showed him round monaco or some such a few years ago.

If contract runs down (which has been talked about), and so he is a free, then I think its something that could happen, its only down to wages then.

The wages will be the issue though - both in terms of financing the player's own wages but also in managing the other top players in the squad who will want increased deals themselves.

I'd love it to happen but I just can't see it - it would be a huge risk financially
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #122: Feb 19, 2021 06:32:47 pm
      Not for me. In my opinion Pelé was the original superstar and still the greatest. How he got chopped to bits and still achieved what he did is nothing short of mind boggling. The likes of Messi and Ronaldo can only dream of being that good...

Trying to avoid thread drift here but I fully agree. People talk about Messi and refer to his club achievements - what he's done with Argentina puts him below Maradona in particular ... the man practically won the 86 World Cup on his own. If Messi was as good we would have seen more from Argentina in recent years
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #123: Feb 19, 2021 07:15:51 pm
      As much as Shearer annoys the hell out of me on MOTD he would have been a phenomenal signing at that time.

Another one that I always wanted to sign, who did sign, and didn't work out was Robbie Keane.

Good lord, yes. Shearer in the red of Liverpool - what a sight that would have been.

Two other players I would have killed to see them play for us - Bergkamp and Henry. Bergkamp especially - unassuming brilliance and perfection. A true master. One of the greatest and perhaps one of the most unheralded there has ever been!!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #124: Feb 19, 2021 07:33:49 pm
      Would have loved to see Henrik Larsson leading the line for us at some point.

Zidane would have been nice, but not very likely on our wage structure at the time. F**k it, might as well throw Romario in there too, if I'm mentioning Zidane. Neither of them are very "us" though, whereas Larsson would have been.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #125: Feb 19, 2021 07:45:15 pm
      Hazard ,Bergkamp and Ronaldinho, quick clever and  could rip you a new one in a nano second
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #126: Feb 19, 2021 07:57:44 pm

Yep Shearer for me the l absolute complete CF had everything
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #127: Feb 19, 2021 08:33:47 pm
      I do think if we'd persuaded Roy Keane to come to us instead of Old Trafford, the 1990s would have been a very different decade

Quick Reply