Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

21 for 21: Part 3, the worst signing of the 21st century

Read 4151 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      21 for 21: Part 3, the worst signing of the 21st century
      Feb 19, 2021 12:31:29 pm
      Let’s look at the 21 worst signings of the 21st century. To be fair I’ve not included young players who we were told were the next this that and the other only for them not to play a single game or to rarely get a minute. I’ve then tried to weigh up are free transfers that cost us nothing worthy of a place on the list. 1 or 2 snuck in! Where I was in 2 minds between some players, I again looked at game time or were they used in their best position etc

21) Diego Cavalieri: Makes the list as he cost 3 million quid to make no appearance of any worth. Seriously we spunked away some cash over the years. Cost 3 million

20) Robbie Keane: Fine player who I thought would go on to be an excellent signing. Part of his problem might have been Rafa but for what we spent on him to what we got back he squeezes in..Cost 20 miilion

19) Adam Bogdan: Just why?  Cost Feee

18) Lazar Markovic: Another I was delighted we got. Had genuine talent but for whatever reason it just did not work and again after paying a pretty penny. Cost 20 miilion

17) Bruno Cheyrou: The new Zidane!! Not his fault he was labelled that but another we had hopes for who just wasn’t up to it. Boss goal at Chelsea though. Cost 4 million

16) Bernard Diomede: Back at this time I was football mad. Knew everything about every player so thought we had signed a sneaky little gem here, French international etc….  man was my face red. Cost 3 million

15) Lorius Karius: I must confess, had he not cost us the champions league he might not make this list. He made a lot of mistakes but was decent at times to. However, unforgiveable what he done. Cost 4.75 million

14) Danny Wilson: Set the world alight at Rangers. Big centre half, the answer to our problems. 2 appearances after a 2 million move, the maths is easy. Cost 2 million

13) Josemi: Front of the q to collect the European cup for some reason. Don’t recall one thing he done that made him worthy of taking Finnans place which he had done for a lot of games until a red card. Not terrible but why did we sign him when we had Finnan? Start adding up the transfer fees of these lot and we can buy a world class player and were only at 13!!. Cost 2 million

12) Fabio Borini: 13 million quid and 2 goals…Was not a bad player but that return was sh*te and not good enough for us.. Cost 13 million

11) Alberto Aquilani: The replacement for Xabi. 17 million on a lad who made Naby Keita look like a fitness machine. 1 goal in 18 games I think it was.. Cost 17 million

10) Christian Ziege: Couldn’t believe we signed this fella. Genuine class. German international who looked like the real deal at Bayern. Just did not get from him what we should have. Cost 5.5 million

9) Charles Itandje: Never played but he’s on the list for other reasons. T*at. Cost free

8 Joe Cole: Cost us nothing gave us nothing. Cost free

7) Stewart Downing: Might be harsh to be so high up but for the fee and he reputation he always underwhelmed me in a Liverpool shirt. Cost 20 million

6) Andy Carrol: Like Downing it might be harsh to be this high up the list. But again, the fee for the return. Did core some good ones and was a likeable fella but for the money paid he should at least have matched Crouchie. Cost 35 million

5) Christian Benteke: What a signing at the time, anyone who said they thought otherwise Is lying or talking through hindsight. A disaster. Could be top of the list easily. Boss goal v utd all the same. Cost 32.5 million

4) Christian Poulsen:  Danish international signed from Juventus where he seemed to do ok, won’t say I was disappointed when I heard we got him. But it was all downhill from there. Maybe he was a victim of what he was alongside or maybe he was just out of his depth, either way it wasn’t good. Cost 4.5 million

3) Paul Koncheskey: ………….cost 4 million

2) Mario Balotelli: Credit to those who spotted this one being a disaster. I though this can be our Cantona type signing. Potential and hype. 16 million quid for Suarez replacement, we got 1 goal in 16 games. Just a joke. Why always us? Cist 16 million

1) El HadjI Diouf: We signed this instead of Anelka!! In fairness he looked decent at the 2002 world cup. We felt that he was worth £10 million of our cash and in he came. We got 3 goals in 55 games 2 of those game in his first game!! His 3rd came about 6 months later. After that he was more interested in spitting at people and being a horrible c**t. For me the worst ever to wear a red shirt..Cost 10 million

Total transfer fee £216.25 million
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2021 03:35:45 pm by Brian78 »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: 21 for 21: Part 3, the worst signing of the 21st century
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2021 01:03:09 pm
      Notable mentions:

Milan Jovanovic
      Andriy Veronin
      Alberto Moreno
      Anthony Le Tallec
      Simema Pongolle
      Sean Dundee

Wow we've signed some amount of duds.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2: Feb 19, 2021 01:13:55 pm
      Notable mentions:

Milan Jovanovic
      Andriy Veronin
      Alberto Moreno
      Anthony Le Tallec
      Simema Pongolle
      Sean Dundee

Wow we've signed some amount of duds.

Dundee misses out as he signed pre 21st century. Jovanovic cost nothing and I expected nothing

The rest would be harsh
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #3: Feb 19, 2021 01:45:15 pm
      Dundee misses out as he signed pre 21st century. Jovanovic cost nothing and I expected nothing

The rest would be harsh

Moreno definitely should be included I reckon. Consistently sh*te over a number of years and had that absolute stinker in the Uefa Cup final. One of the most braindead players I've witnessed play for us
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #4: Feb 19, 2021 01:49:32 pm
      Moreno definitely should be included I reckon. Consistently sh*te over a number of years and had that absolute stinker in the Uefa Cup final. One of the most braindead players I've witnessed play for us

He was highly considered. He played a lot of games which probably helped him avoid the list, though he was not great we prob got more value for our money from him then those on the list
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #5: Feb 19, 2021 01:57:48 pm
      I thought Benteke was dreadful, I'm not lying and this isn't hindsight speak. He just never moved. The previous season we'd had the three quickest and most mobile forwards in football, and we change to this? Alongside Balotelli it was a desperate signing and neither had a hope of fitting Rodgers style.

Andy Carrol is number one because of the fee, but Diouf is the worst human ever.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #6: Feb 19, 2021 02:13:33 pm
      Andy Carrol is number one because of the fee, but Diouf is the worst human ever.

His winner against the sh*te at Wembley is enough to ensure he doesn't get the top spot
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #7: Feb 19, 2021 02:31:08 pm
      Great topic Brian!

I think Benteke is too high (low?) on this list. He didn't pan out for us but that was mainly down to Klopp's system being ill-suited for Christian's skill set. He had done well at Villa and he's done alright at Palace as well. Not a world-class player but I can totally understand why the club went in for him under the tactics of the previous manager. He didn't work out but not our 5th worst signing of the century.

Cole, Downing and Carroll are all too high on this, particularly in that they put in an effort (especially Downing) for the team, it just didn't come off for them.

Markovic, Cheyrou, Borini and ESPECIALLY Danny Wilson should be much higher on the list. Quartet of duds them.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8: Feb 19, 2021 02:38:15 pm
      Great topic Brian!

I think Benteke is too high (low?) on this list. He didn't pan out for us but that was mainly down to Klopp's system being ill-suited for Christian's skill set. He had done well at Villa and he's done alright at Palace as well. Not a world-class player but I can totally understand why the club went in for him under the tactics of the previous manager. He didn't work out but not our 5th worst signing of the century.

Cole, Downing and Carroll are all too high on this, particularly in that they put in an effort (especially Downing) for the team, it just didn't come off for them.

Markovic, Cheyrou, Borini and ESPECIALLY Danny Wilson should be much higher on the list. Quartet of duds them.

In what way has Benteke done alright at Palace????

He was good at Villa though.

Carroll by far the worst main striker we ever signed, just useless so frustrating to watch, thank God we got Suarez at the same time.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #9: Feb 19, 2021 03:10:52 pm
      Let’s look at the 21 worst signings of the 21st century. To be fair I’ve not included young players who we were told were the next this that and the other only for them not to play a single game or to rarely get a minute. I’ve then tried to weigh up are free transfers that cost us nothing worthy of a place on the list. 1 or 2 snuck in! Where I was in 2 minds between some players, I again looked at game time or were they used in their best position etc

21) Diego Cavalieri: Makes the list as he cost 3 million quid to make no appearance of any worth. Seriously we spunked away some cash over the years

20) Robbie Keane: Fine player who I thought would go on to be an excellent signing. Part of his problem might have been Rafa but for what we spent on him to what we got back he squeezes in

19) Adam Bogdan: Just why?

18) Lazar Markovic: Another I was delighted we got. Had genuine talent but for whatever reason it just did not work and again after paying a pretty penny.

17) Bruno Cheyrou: The new Zidane!! Not his fault he was labelled that but another we had hopes for who just wasn’t up to it. Boss goal at Chelsea though

16) Bernard Diomede: Back at this time I was football mad. Knew everything about every player so thought we had signed a sneaky little gem here, French international etc….  man was my face red

15) Lorius Karius: I must confess, had he not cost us the champions league he might not make this list. He made a lot of mistakes but was decent at times to. However, unforgiveable what he done

14) Danny Wilson: Set the world alight at Rangers. Big centre half, the answer to our problems. 2 appearances after a 2 million move, the maths is easy

13) Josemi: Front of the q to collect the European cup for some reason. Don’t recall one thing he done that made him worthy of taking Finnans place which he had done for a lot of games until a red card. Not terrible but why did we sign him when we had Finnan? Start adding up the transfer fees of these lot and we can buy a world class player and were only at 13!!

12) Fabio Borini: 13 million quid and 2 goals…Was not a bad player but that return was sh*te and not good enough for us.

11) Alberto Aquilani: The replacement for Xabi. 17 million on a lad who made Naby Keita look like a fitness machine. 1 goal in 18 games I think it was.

10) Christian Ziege: Couldn’t believe we signed this fella. Genuine class. German international who looked like the real deal at Bayern. Just did not get from him what we should have

9) Charles Itandje: Never played but he’s on the list for other reasons. T*at

8 Joe Cole: Cost us nothing gave us nothing

7) Stewart Downing: Might be harsh to be so high up but for the fee and he reputation he always underwhelmed me in a Liverpool shirt

6) Andy Carrol: Like Downing it might be harsh to be this high up the list. But again, the fee for the return. Did core some good ones and was a likeable fella but for the money paid he should at least have matched Crouchie

5) Christian Benteke: What a signing at the time, anyone who said they thought otherwise Is lying or talking through hindsight. A disaster. Could be top of the list easily. Boss goal v utd all the same

4) Christian Poulsen:  Danish international signed from Juventus where he seemed to do ok, won’t say I was disappointed when I heard we got him. But it was all downhill from there. Maybe he was a victim of what he was alongside or maybe he was just out of his depth, either way it wasn’t good

3) Paul Koncheskey: ………….

2) Mario Balotelli: Credit to those who spotted this one being a disaster. I though this can be our Cantona type signing. Potential and hype. 16 million quid for Suarez replacement, we got 1 goal in 16 games. Just a joke. Why always us?

1) El HadjI Diouf: We signed this instead of Anelka!! In fairness he looked decent at the 2002 world cup. We felt that he was worth £10 million of our cash and in he came. We got 3 goals in 55 games 2 of those game in his first game!! His 3rd came about 6 months later. After that he was more interested in spitting at people and being a horrible c**t. For me the worst ever to wear a red shirt

Hard to dispute with this list. It would be more informative if they had their transfer fee next to their names. Thereafter we could compare value add or damage done per dollar of transfer value. I'm just trying to be more evil.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10: Feb 19, 2021 03:13:53 pm
      Hard to dispute with this list. It would be more informative if they had their transfer fee next to their names. Thereafter we could compare value add or damage done per dollar of transfer value. I'm just trying to be more evil.

Carroll was £50m wasn't he, holy F**k, that was crazy!!!  Mind you so was the Chavs buying Torres for the same amount, both clubs got F**k all for their money.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #11: Feb 19, 2021 03:19:37 pm
      Carroll was £50m wasn't he, holy f**k, that was crazy!!!  Mind you so was the Chavs buying Torres for the same amount, both clubs got f**k all for their money.

£35 million.

We sold Torres for £50 million.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2021 03:21:59 pm
      Moreno definitely should be included I reckon. Consistently sh*te over a number of years

Yeah.  It's one thing buying a poor player.  It's an entirely different thing to give him 141 appearances over five seasons! 

On that basis I'd have to add Simon Mignolet to the list.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2021 03:23:56 pm
      Yeah.  It's one thing buying a poor player.  It's an entirely different thing to give him 141 appearances over five seasons! 

On that basis I'd have to add Simon Mignolet to the list.

Yea Migs and Karius are top 5 worst keepers in the club's history.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2021 03:24:28 pm
      Carroll was £50m wasn't he, holy f**k, that was crazy!!!

Think it was £35M.  Still daft like.

Having said that, one of my best matchday trips was the FA Cup Semi against Everton when he scored the winner so I don't have all bad memories of him!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2021 03:45:19 pm

21) Diego Cavalieri: Makes the list as he cost 3 million quid to make no appearance of any worth. Seriously we spunked away some cash over the years. Cost 3 million

20) Robbie Keane: Fine player who I thought would go on to be an excellent signing. Part of his problem might have been Rafa but for what we spent on him to what we got back he squeezes in..Cost 20 miilion

19) Adam Bogdan: Just why?  Cost Feee

18) Lazar Markovic: Another I was delighted we got. Had genuine talent but for whatever reason it just did not work and again after paying a pretty penny. Cost 20 miilion

17) Bruno Cheyrou: The new Zidane!! Not his fault he was labelled that but another we had hopes for who just wasn’t up to it. Boss goal at Chelsea though. Cost 4 million

16) Bernard Diomede: Back at this time I was football mad. Knew everything about every player so thought we had signed a sneaky little gem here, French international etc….  man was my face red. Cost 3 million

15) Lorius Karius: I must confess, had he not cost us the champions league he might not make this list. He made a lot of mistakes but was decent at times to. However, unforgiveable what he done. Cost 4.75 million

14) Danny Wilson: Set the world alight at Rangers. Big centre half, the answer to our problems. 2 appearances after a 2 million move, the maths is easy. Cost 2 million

13) Josemi: Front of the q to collect the European cup for some reason. Don’t recall one thing he done that made him worthy of taking Finnans place which he had done for a lot of games until a red card. Not terrible but why did we sign him when we had Finnan? Start adding up the transfer fees of these lot and we can buy a world class player and were only at 13!!. Cost 2 million

12) Fabio Borini: 13 million quid and 2 goals…Was not a bad player but that return was sh*te and not good enough for us.. Cost 13 million

11) Alberto Aquilani: The replacement for Xabi. 17 million on a lad who made Naby Keita look like a fitness machine. 1 goal in 18 games I think it was.. Cost 17 million

10) Christian Ziege: Couldn’t believe we signed this fella. Genuine class. German international who looked like the real deal at Bayern. Just did not get from him what we should have. Cost 5.5 million

9) Charles Itandje: Never played but he’s on the list for other reasons. T*at. Cost free

8 Joe Cole: Cost us nothing gave us nothing. Cost free

7) Stewart Downing: Might be harsh to be so high up but for the fee and he reputation he always underwhelmed me in a Liverpool shirt. Cost 20 million

6) Andy Carrol: Like Downing it might be harsh to be this high up the list. But again, the fee for the return. Did core some good ones and was a likeable fella but for the money paid he should at least have matched Crouchie. Cost 35 million

5) Christian Benteke: What a signing at the time, anyone who said they thought otherwise Is lying or talking through hindsight. A disaster. Could be top of the list easily. Boss goal v utd all the same. Cost 32.5 million

4) Christian Poulsen:  Danish international signed from Juventus where he seemed to do ok, won’t say I was disappointed when I heard we got him. But it was all downhill from there. Maybe he was a victim of what he was alongside or maybe he was just out of his depth, either way it wasn’t good. Cost 4.5 million

3) Paul Koncheskey: ………….cost 4 million

2) Mario Balotelli: Credit to those who spotted this one being a disaster. I though this can be our Cantona type signing. Potential and hype. 16 million quid for Suarez replacement, we got 1 goal in 16 games. Just a joke. Why always us? Cist 16 million

1) El HadjI Diouf: We signed this instead of Anelka!! In fairness he looked decent at the 2002 world cup. We felt that he was worth £10 million of our cash and in he came. We got 3 goals in 55 games 2 of those game in his first game!! His 3rd came about 6 months later. After that he was more interested in spitting at people and being a horrible c**t. For me the worst ever to wear a red shirt..Cost 10 million

Total transfer fee £216.25 million

struggling to disagree with any on this list, although personally I think big Andy carrol was unlucky with injuries, he scored some cracking goals for us.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2021 03:50:07 pm
      struggling to disagree with any on this list, although personally I think big Andy carrol was unlucky with injuries, he scored some cracking goals for us.

For what we forked out v what we got back is why I have him, and have hom so high. He wouldnt be near my worst ever players list ( I think)

Also these lists are just my own view defo open to debate, which is what I wsnt really. Lockdown is great for these lists and it bresks up the usual chat
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2021 03:55:07 pm
      I feel Fernando Morientes should have made this list. Quality player for every other team he played for bar us. I think he even said he should have given his wages back to us Haha.
      I must have seen Ziege differtly and maybe remember him more for his time before Liverpool, but I thought he was good apart from battling knee injuries.
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #18: Feb 19, 2021 03:59:12 pm
      As for Aquilani and Poulsen I always remember thinking apart from players like Vialli, Ravanelli and Zola, who came directly from the Italian league and set the world on fire? I felt for a long time that we should leave anyone in the Italian leagues alone.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #19: Feb 19, 2021 04:07:40 pm
      I feel Fernando Morientes should have made this list. Quality player for every other team he played for bar us. I think he even said he should have given his wages back to us Haha.
      I must have seen Ziege differtly and maybe remember him more for his time before Liverpool, but I thought he was good apart from battling knee injuries.

I honestly believe had he not been cup tied for the champions league we would have seen him.in a better light. He failed to deliver on the huge expectancy he brought with him though no doubt. He was considered for the list but I felt that we had 21 more suitable candidates
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #20: Feb 19, 2021 04:51:31 pm
      I honestly believe had he not been cup tied for the champions league we would have seen him.in a better light. He failed to deliver on the huge expectancy he brought with him though no doubt. He was considered for the list but I felt that we had 21 more suitable candidates

Oh your tope 21 list is still bang on though Brian. Just really wanted Morientes to do well for us as I was super psyched when he signed for us. Good point about being cup tied too. Forgot about that.  :)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21: Feb 19, 2021 04:56:29 pm
      There have been many embarrassing signings over the years unfortunately, far too many were never ever good enough to wear the shirt, some didn’t even get to wear it at all and some wore it but didn’t deserve to, and of course,  some did but were simply out of their depth, but one stands out head, shoulders and nipples above every one of those players, a player who did play and didn’t deserve to and for me it is the despicable horrible cretinous El Hadj Douff.......why.....beca use he is undoubtedly a disgraceful c**t of a human being ! !

Simples really!

Y  N  W  A
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: Feb 20, 2021 12:31:23 pm
      If Keita can't turn it around soon does he come onto the list or does he get away with it as he was part of the squad that won the league and CL?

£55m and the guy can't string more than a couple of games in a row together.

Quick Reply