Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Liverpool 0-2 Everton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29809 times
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 83 
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 Everton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #897: Feb 21, 2021 03:28:27 pm
      But imagine for a moment our team set up like Burnley, ie ultra defensive low block BUT with our attackers ready to pounce on any counter attacking opportunities. Firstly it would confuse the f**k out of any oppoemanager, secondly I reckon we'd score more than we currently do as our attackers need space to move ie they need a counter attacking set up.
      That's just one example of a tactical variation there must be many more, yet we only have Plan A which is about 5 years old now.

Ok, this is what will happen if Klopp plays like that.

1) Weaker teams will literally just pass to themselves within their half and be content with a draw. You'd need to run into their half to chase the ball but that would mean you'd have a huge gap in midfield that'd need to be closed...and we're back with pulling CB's high.

2) Against good teams - teams that also play to win - your idea works, BUT!!! then you end up playing two very different systems (low against good teams, high against bad teams) and that will confuse your players and prevent them to get really good in one system at the expense of being half-good at two systems.

As you see Klopp is not dumb to play like he plays. Yes, just right now Liverpool would be good to use 1) because a draw against Everton/Burnley/Saints would have been better than a defeat but long term this would be poison because I doubt that longterm we will get more points with it than with what Klopp tries.

We lack 3 core players (Matip, VVD and Fab/Hendo). That is the only story. Maybe if you have a cheat code like City or PSG you can overcome it, but usually any team sucks in such circumstances.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,979 posts | 511 
      Reply #898: Feb 21, 2021 03:51:54 pm

1) Weaker teams will literally just pass to themselves within their half and be content with a draw. You'd need to run into their half to chase the ball but that would mean you'd have a huge gap in midfield that'd need to be closed...and we're back with pulling CB's high.

2) Against good teams - teams that also play to win - your idea works, BUT!!! then you end up playing two very different systems (low against good teams, high against bad teams) and that will confuse your players and prevent them to get really good in one system at the expense of being half-good at two systems.

As you see Klopp is not dumb to play like he plays. Yes, just right now Liverpool would be good to use 1) because a draw against Everton/Burnley/Saints would have been better than a defeat but long term this would be poison because I doubt that longterm we will get more points with it than with what Klopp tries.

We lack 3 core players (Matip, VVD and Fab/Hendo). That is the only story. Maybe if you have a cheat code like City or PSG you can overcome it, but usually any team sucks in such circumstances.

Long term, you are right we shouldnt play like that. But in the current injury crisis I am coming round to the idea we should sit off more, be compact and hard to beat, and then try and pick teams off. Of course, you're right that that is easier said than done against the weaker teams, cos they just won't come out and play. (And if we try it and it doesn't work, we will get fans even more pissed off on here about us being too passive etc).

I don't know - against the better teams I'd be inclined to sit off more than usual. Against the weaker ones, I'm not sure - be more patient, play through the middle more, get at least one of our CMs to run beyond Bobby and make us less predictable. Bottom line is we don't quite seem to have the energy to really let rip at teams for long periods in a match like we used to. So we need to find a way where we can still get decent (no longer a question of great) results in the league without trying to play a style we don't quite have the juice for at the minute.

To be honest, I'm struggling to know what we should do. My main hope for a turn around at the minute is Jota coming back and giving us some goal threat through the middle.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #899: Feb 21, 2021 03:55:15 pm
      This was our darkest moment in LFC history, it has been a disastrous season by all counts which was mainly contributed by a wired manager who has lost the plot at serious times of asking, and it has shown his fragile true metal.

Everton had a proper game plan, whereas our beloved wired manager had none, almost every football critics have said before the game that Everton will beat us, how do you expect the LFC manager to pick under-preformed players the likes of Firmino and Salah who went missing in all big games of this season, it was only Mane who is out of form, but he gave it all and did him utmost best to score, whereas, the other useless two, are being selected not on merit but on past fluke history, therefore, how do you expect such team to win matches, the club is in such disarray state the whole season, due to ill planning and wired management style by a nutcase manager, just look at his profile as a manager, you would find he has been in such bad period like this before! therefore, it is not surprising to be repeated at LFC again.

The early warning signs were evident from last season after being crowned champion there were many bad defeats at Arsenal, Watford, and M. City, Therefore, any sensible manager would have addressed these warnings before the new season has started, but the dream-on manager has thought otherwise.

I totally dismiss the excuses of the bad injuries list that we have encountered this season, but any good manager would have dealt with it sensibly, not our wired manager, the scum had bad injuries last season, we couldn't beat them away, but their young manager dealt with it very well, and ended up fourth, they were never beaten six games in a row!!..  Klopp let good backup players go on loan, Minamino never got a chance ahead of the useless twins Firmino and Salah, but to hold on to the disgraceful Origi who can't command a first-team place in any third division team! it is totally beyond any common sense!!  How any faithful LFC fans can accept such awful shambles, and expect us to finish in the top fourth place, there is no chance in hell to do that, this failed and worse champion in the history of the league will not achieve that, and not even a Europa place it is possible, I will not be surprised if Klopp's team lose all remaining games of the season.

The situation is very bleak, and Klopp will select the same team for the next match! Kabak is not a sound defender at a price of £18M if the bought option is materialized,  Ben Davies to partner Phillips is a better option, Davies has played in the English leagues, while Kabak didn't, and he is young and naive.

Klopp dream on until you get the sack, however, any good and caring club's owner would have sacked that weirdo a long time ago.

GOD HELP US AND SAFE OUR LFC NO MORE DISGRACE AND HUMILIATION

Why is this grade A c**t not banned yet? These newbie trolls are infecting the forum like a flesh eating virus.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,380 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #900: Feb 21, 2021 03:56:19 pm
      I love it when people say we need a plan b or different tactics or formation and then don't say how or what.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #901: Feb 21, 2021 03:59:55 pm
      I love it when people say we need a plan b or different tactics or formation and then don't say how or what.

We just need some players back and no more injuries.

It's that simple really.
      CurraghRed
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #902: Feb 21, 2021 04:32:30 pm
      I have looked at the game again and wonder the following:

Gini and Jones slows the game down at every opportunity. Gini likes to hold the ball under his foot and try hold off 3 or 4 players every time he receives it.  No contract signed signed yet so probably out in a few months time anyway.

Mane and Salah look like they play for different teams.

TAA offers nothing in defence, on occasions yesterday when he went forward he just stayed there and the ball was played to an Everton player in that space.

Robbo rarely gets to the end line anymore and plays the ball backwards 80% of the time he receives it in the opposition half.

I also fear we have a few players who might have the Euro's in the back of their mind now.

Not sure about Thiago, he can't possibly be a bad as that but then again he has had no great help in midfield to date.

Really annoyed about Minamino going out on loan

I think enough has been already said about the CB position and Bobby.

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,694 posts | 880 
      Reply #903: Feb 21, 2021 04:45:03 pm
      Why is this grade A c**t not banned yet? These newbie trolls are infecting the forum like a flesh eating virus.

Why are you guys getting so wound up and wanting people banned? Just ignore opinions you do not like.

It's not outrageous to be upset about this latest loss. It's quite reasonable to aim some criticism at the Manager and our system which has brought us 4 consecutive losses in the league, and not much positivity elsewhere.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,183 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #904: Feb 21, 2021 04:45:40 pm
      Think the midfield are woefull thought Thiago was going to be a great buy but I thought I was watching a crab last night every ball he played was sideways
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 1074 
      Reply #905: Feb 21, 2021 04:47:28 pm
      The fight for top 4 isn't over, really its just beginning. WH have games against City, United, Leicester, Chelsea, Everton, and Arsenal they have to play. Chelsea have a lot of those same opponents while having to balance the FA Cup and CL football. Everton are pretenders this year. United could keep coming back toward us too. I think Leicester are prolly the the safest to retain their spot in the top 4 out of 2-4.

We HAVE to find our form, and soon. Phillips needs to be relied on, as it seems he may be the key to the rest of the season. As awful has another injury at CB is, it may show they we can cope with one of the new boys and Nat and allow Fab and Hendo to move further forward. Time will tell. Moving those guys forward will be big for protection to the back and line and creativity going forward. As scary as this sounds, we may need to think about rotation too. Robbo and Gini are zombies atm. Jota needs to come I'm for Bobby when he can.

Let's get top 4 baby.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #906: Feb 21, 2021 05:12:26 pm
      I very rarely post when Liverpool get beat as understandably can get toxic with frustrations going overboard, hell I've done it enough times myself so know what it feels like. I even had a spat when we drew  what should of been a win against Everton last kick of the game few days ago so totally get it.

However, what I can't work out is how you keep having a pop at one of the best managers in the world with such consistency.  ??? It isnt rocket science to work out you don't have a squad like City & Chavs yet you still blame Klopp as if it's his fault you've got so many injuries.

Of course you can blame the injuries for your woes. Name me one team that has/had as many top players out this season more than Liverpool? Don't say Spurs ( which they have ) as I mean top players not just squad players.

I can see why  fellow fans get frustrated with you. Granted your also playing poorly as confidence is now low but I see more valid reasons why  that is rather than keep blaming Klopp. I really do think you want him out which is astounding. If you get your wish you won't be winning anymore trophies in the fourseeable.

Being a Liverpool fan you should know better than to keep showing negativity, espically after losing  a Derby match where frustrations will be at a all time high.

It's not just the derby, yes the injuries have an impact but in that case you have to adapt the system, tactics and formation. Klopp is still setting up the team as if we have Virgil as CB and Fabinho DM, but we don't.
      That in my book is not "top" management, its F***ing stupid arrogant management.

I'm not suggesting Klopp is a bad manager, what he has handed us the last few years is simply amazing, but I think he's lost his way or lost his passion.
      He is not currently managing us at a top level.

As regards injuries, there must be something wrong with our training, recovery, physios, its not all bad luck. One issue is the lack of rotation.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,856 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #907: Feb 21, 2021 05:14:11 pm
      The fight for top 4 isn't over, really its just beginning. WH have games against City, United, Leicester, Chelsea, Everton, and Arsenal they have to play. Chelsea have a lot of those same opponents while having to balance the FA Cup and CL football. Everton are pretenders this year. United could keep coming back toward us too. I think Leicester are prolly the the safest to retain their spot in the top 4 out of 2-4.

We HAVE to find our form, and soon. Phillips needs to be relied on, as it seems he may be the key to the rest of the season. As awful has another injury at CB is, it may show they we can cope with one of the new boys and Nat and allow Fab and Hendo to move further forward. Time will tell. Moving those guys forward will be big for protection to the back and line and creativity going forward. As scary as this sounds, we may need to think about rotation too. Robbo and Gini are zombies atm. Jota needs to come I'm for Bobby when he can.

Let's get top 4 baby.

Apart from your Leicester comment I think your pretty much spot on. 2nd, 3rd & 4th are definitely  a open book for me. Any of six teams below city currently  can get top 4
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #908: Feb 21, 2021 05:14:33 pm

In simple terms I'd either go back to Heavy Metal, from the first few years of Klopp, or I'd switch to a low block counter attack set up to protect the defence plus give space for our speedy attackers.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,856 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #909: Feb 21, 2021 05:28:55 pm
      It's not just the derby, yes the injuries have an impact but in that case you have to adapt the system, tactics and formation. Klopp is still setting up the team as if we have Virgil as CB and Fabinho DM, but we don't.
      That in my book is not "top" management, its f**king stupid arrogant management.

I'm not suggesting Klopp is a bad manager, what he has handed us the last few years is simply amazing, but I think he's lost his way or lost his passion.
      He is not currently managing us at a top level.

As regards injuries, there must be something wrong with our training, recovery, physios, its not all bad luck. One issue is the lack of rotation.

Klopp arrogant? Now if you said that about Mourhino I could understand and agree with you but Klopp, never. He's had to change his formation many times due to injuries. Probably more so than any other team.

Of course your suggesting he's a bad manager. You've said he's lost his passion, bad tactics, bad formation, if that isn't knocking the manager I'm not sure what is.

Your injuries are down to couple of things, bad luck, too many matches played in such a short space of time which we know is down to covid. Because you don't have a squad dept it's more prominent than it would be against the like of city & chavs.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,856 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #910: Feb 21, 2021 05:35:16 pm
      In simple terms I'd either go back to Heavy Metal, from the first few years of Klopp, or I'd switch to a low block counter attack set up to protect the defence plus give space for our speedy attackers.

This new word low block your using Heimy why not just say park the bus  :lmao: Think your the only one using it  ;D It's a awful saying (( just my opinion ))

So basically your now saying lets park the bus (( like Mourhino & fat Sam )) and hope to counter attack.  :lmao: It's not the Liverpool way mate. Will never happen whilst Klopp in charge anyway, and nor should it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #911: Feb 21, 2021 06:14:54 pm
      This new word low block your using Heimy why not just say park the bus  :lmao: Think your the only one using it  ;D It's a awful saying (( just my opinion ))

So basically your now saying lets park the bus (( like Mourhino & fat Sam )) and hope to counter attack.  :lmao: It's not the Liverpool way mate. Will never happen whilst Klopp in charge anyway, and nor should it.

No not park the bus, but certainly much more defensive/counter attacking OR heavy metal quick attacking.
      BTW Losing 4 home games on the bounce is not the Liverpool way either.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #912: Feb 21, 2021 06:36:21 pm
      Why are you guys getting so wound up and wanting people banned? Just ignore opinions you do not like.

It's not outrageous to be upset about this latest loss. It's quite reasonable to aim some criticism at the Manager and our system which has brought us 4 consecutive losses in the league, and not much positivity elsewhere.

It's more than just putting fools on ignore it's about maintaining the integrity of my favourite forum.

And if it was only "some criticism" there would be no issue but it's ALL CRITICISM.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #913: Feb 21, 2021 06:40:21 pm
      It's more than just putting fools on ignore it's about maintaining the integrity of my favourite forum.

And if it was only "some criticism" there would be no issue but it's ALL CRITICISM.

And you need your safe space with no scary opinions to challenge you.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #914: Feb 21, 2021 06:43:05 pm

Exactly.

It's so easy to give these "simple solutions" to a very difficult problem which is winning games with a desimated squad.

Jürgen will not drastically alter the style of play which had brought so much success since he arrived. He will tweak things here and there to adjust to evolving dynamics.

Guaranteed when we get players back there will be a massive performance improvement playing more or less the same system.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 83 
      Reply #915: Feb 21, 2021 06:43:59 pm
      I still think we will have #20 earlier than United its #21. Just saying....
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #916: Feb 21, 2021 07:18:28 pm
      I can't see him playing again this season ... it looked bad when he pulled up and then for some reason he was allowed to play on, probably making it worse.

I am losing confidence in the medical staff at the club - Jota's injury initially was not meant to be too long, the same with Thiago after he was injured back in October ... not sure why that is. I suspect we'll have the same with Hendo - the initial line will be that he's out for 3-4 weeks but we won't see him playing competitively again until August.

He didn't play on. He walked out on the park and jogged just slightly for less than a minute while Phillips finished getting stripped, then sat back down.

That said I would expect him to be out for 1-2 months.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #917: Feb 21, 2021 07:20:50 pm
      GOD HELP US AND SAFE OUR LFC NO MORE DISGRACE AND HUMILIATION

There's only one way to reply to this...

FUCKOFF!!!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #918: Feb 21, 2021 07:22:52 pm
      Okay calm after the storm ,agree not good times the now ,why is that ?plenty of reasons [not excuses]detailed on here,but as they say the bigger they are the harder you fall ,this fantastic club has know nothing but success since Wullie Shankly lit the fuse paper back in the 60s ,as supporters you become used to winning and the success it brings ,all the trophies,celebrating in Europe, other teams can only look on with envy at what we have achieved that is why its harder to accept when we have a bad run its not like us ,so let the bitters have their on field celebrations they waited long enough,lots of stats being branded about yesterday on sky.[last time we lost 4 home games at home in a row was back in the 20s ,last time Everton won at Anfield, etc what about our succesfull stats take the positives and move on ,we will return YNWA [BTW it is Wullie not Bill it was the English media that refered to him as Bill ,watched a fantastic documentry on prime about Shankly ,his surviving niece pointed out he was know as Wullie  not Bill a must watch to all Liverpool fans

If you are going to continue to post without new sentences, can you give a brief warning so I can take on some oxygen before I start reading?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #919: Feb 21, 2021 07:25:22 pm
      Klopp is living on last season, in most other clubs he'd be under serious pressure now! In all honesty I'm starting to think it might be time for a change, because it's just not working, we play crap football at the moment and I can't see any improvement.

First bad patch after winning first title in 30 years.
      Says a lot.

Quick Reply