Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Do we need to talk about Bobby?

Read 6071 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Do we need to talk about Bobby?
      Reply #23: Feb 23, 2021 08:57:50 am
      Nope, he got it in the neck yesterday in the everton post match 😂

Yeah I just read that after I posted on here. Misplaced optimism.  :lmao:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #24: Feb 23, 2021 10:49:29 am
      I love Firmino, he was an integral part for our success in the Ucl and winning the famous league but for me we became too uniform in our play and others have studied us well and Firmino is not being effective enough to create spaces for Mane and Salah.

I would buy some one else and leave him for rotation.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #25: Feb 23, 2021 10:57:17 am
      I love Firmino, he was an integral part for our success in the Ucl and winning the famous league but for me we became too uniform in our play and others have studied us well and Firmino is not being effective enough to create spaces for Mane and Salah.

I would buy some one else and leave him for rotation.

I think Mane and Mo would disagree, in fact there is an interview with mane, where he thanks bobby for most of his goals.

We do need to change things up a bit though, more rotation of the front 3, not so easy with all the injuries though is it. :-(
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #26: Feb 23, 2021 11:05:45 am
      We just need to sell Origi and bring in a proper forward in the Summer.

More options, better competition, and more rotation to keep the team fresh.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #27: Feb 23, 2021 11:11:00 am
      We just need to sell Origi and bring in a proper forward in the Summer.

More options, better competition, and more rotation to keep the team fresh.

Yea his time is up.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #28: Feb 23, 2021 12:11:07 pm
      Talk about Firmino?
      OK heā€™s F***ing brilliant!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #29: Feb 24, 2021 02:38:14 am
      Firmino would be a sick option off the bench, especially in games where were ahead. His fresh pressing on tired defenders would help pad 1 goal leads and force a lot of give aways.

His time as top talent may be over, but if he's up to taking a new role it could be good for him and our club.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30: Feb 24, 2021 08:30:25 am
      Firmino would be a sick option off the bench, especially in games where were ahead. His fresh pressing on tired defenders would help pad 1 goal leads and force a lot of give aways.

His time as top talent may be over, but if he's up to taking a new role it could be good for him and our club.

nothing to do with football, but I hate the word `sick` being used to describe something good. sick aint good its very bad. ps. I do get it, I just dont like it.  :lmao:
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #31: Feb 24, 2021 08:38:06 am
      Heā€™s not the issue. Weā€™re always better off with him.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #32: Feb 24, 2021 12:30:08 pm
      Only thing wrong with our Bobby is that he is f***in Knackered, i donā€™t think he has had a decent break for probably 4/5 seasons, world cups concaf short or no pre- season, I mean this in the most kindest way but best thing that can happen to Bobby is to get injured, so he can have a long well deserved rest, no football between May and end of August, F**k all, to get his arse down to Copacabana with his flip-flops & shades, soak up the rays, get sh*t faced once or twice, get his Willy wet and not from the sea, totally relax then come back to L4 completely rejuvenated, chomping at the bit and full of his Brazilian coffee beans,

We want our Bobby back, not some half arsed version for all the f***in neg heads to w*nk over !

And before said wankers say he had a break in lockdown, NO, he didnā€™t, no one did, they still had to train and keep their fitness levels up, heā€™s a professional athlete, not sat no his arse playing with his joystick!

Y  N  W  A
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #33: Feb 24, 2021 12:47:44 pm
      He is way past his best and is holding us back. I look at the strikers available for other top 7 teams and weep. In the case of Mane and Salah it can be  put down to a slump but I can't remember the last time Bobby was consistently good for us, even last season it was very sketchy performances.

If you replaced Bobby with Jota or a striker form another top team it would solve a lot of our current issues and probably improve the form of Mane and Salah as well.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #34: Feb 24, 2021 01:01:26 pm
      He is way past his best and is holding us back. I look at the strikers available for other top 7 teams and weep. In the case of Mane and Salah it can be  put down to a slump but I can't remember the last time Bobby was consistently good for us, even last season it was very sketchy performances.

If you replaced Bobby with Jota or a striker form another top team it would solve a lot of our current issues and probably improve the form of Mane and Salah as well.

Love talking out of your arse donā€™t you? Heā€™s 30 not 36 and not anywhere near past it the mans played an incredible amount of football last 2 years.

Heā€™s not like any of the traditional strikers in the top 7 and even if he was please name the ones that are tearing it up this season? City have played without one basically the whole campaign, United are led by a lad who isnā€™t a striker - Rashford has been hit and miss, West Ham donā€™t have one their biggest threat is Soucek - not a striker. Chelsea have struggled with Werner and Abraham look at their numbers, Vardy is way of his usual tally and pace this season. That leaves you with Ings or that kid from Villa - Watkins. I will even give you Son and Kane outside the 7 who are probably the most formidable of the lot. Go on who is making you weep with options?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35: Feb 24, 2021 03:44:04 pm
      Love talking out of your arse donā€™t you? Heā€™s 30 not 36 and not anywhere near past it the mans played an incredible amount of football last 2 years.

Heā€™s not like any of the traditional strikers in the top 7 and even if he was please name the ones that are tearing it up this season? City have played without one basically the whole campaign, United are led by a lad who isnā€™t a striker - Rashford has been hit and miss, West Ham donā€™t have one their biggest threat is Soucek - not a striker. Chelsea have struggled with Werner and Abraham look at their numbers, Vardy is way of his usual tally and pace this season. That leaves you with Ings or that kid from Villa - Watkins. I will even give you Son and Kane outside the 7 who are probably the most formidable of the lot. Go on who is making you weep with options?

You are right he is nothing like a traditional striker, they all score f**king goals or at least assist!!

His age is irrelevant, his past form is not up for debate, he was incredibly important to us, BUT at the moment he is utterly useless to us, put any other decent striker in his place and we'd be scoring a sh*t load more goals, I guarantee you of that and that includes all the strikers/forwards you mentioned.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #36: Feb 24, 2021 07:26:45 pm
      Of the front three, he's the one most out of form.
      He's never scored lots of goals, but his general link up play was brilliant. Throw in his great work-rate and he was one of the first on the sheet. Super to watch in full flow.

He's done it in spurts this year, like the goals against CP were typical brilliant Bobby, the great header to win vs Spuds. But most of the time he's not been himself, and his finishing in general been cow-banjo-arse.

We were top at Xmas, but imho Jota played a big part in that, he came in and was brilliant, quick and clinical. In games where we looked like we were gonna struggle he made a real difference. Have missed him badly. Bob even in the early months struggled.

The wheels have really come off since Xmas, Bobs in no way the only one below par, but he's looked the one most out of sorts.

I don't buy this stuff that the players aren't trying, they're gutless and all that - they've been brilliant for two seasons and have shown their metal lots of times. Can argue that they're tired, and that everyone hits a bad patch.
      Main thing for me tho is the ridiculous number of injuries, combined with poor form from big players [that are left] at different times. And the replacements not being of the same quality.
      It's not any one thing.

There's another argument - the one that this front three, as a first choice three, have run their course, that its not working anymore, that nothing lasts forever.
      It's too early anyway to say for sure - but you have to look at Jota and wonder if he had stayed fit, how many games might he have played ahead of Bob in the time he's been out injured.
      Also, there are players like Mbappe and Hylaand, young players that would improve us. And we'd likely have to sell to buy. Bob is a great player, and I wouldn't want to see him leave.  Guess there's always a 'but' though.

Jota will come back and if he's as good as he was before injury, that'll be a big boost.
      Big decision though is whether we give the 4 of them another run next season - and not sign a top forward.
      Even if it means possibly Jota/Mane/Salah starting, and Bob not being an automatic first choice, think he'd be OK with that. And am sure he'd also start games.

I'm not sure though. I've a feeling we might not take the risk. And instead go all out to sign a top striker.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #37: Feb 24, 2021 07:30:34 pm
      Nothing wrong in discussing his form, or lack of, and I agree on a topic for it as he has been so vital to the system over the years that his poor form is worth debating.

For me he has been off the boil pretty much all season and as much as it pains me to say it, as he's been one of my favourite players here, I think he possibly unlikely to return to that form of the last few seasons.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #38: Feb 24, 2021 07:48:15 pm
      Bobby needs a break thatā€™s all... & hopefully he will get a well deserved rest after this season ends, go back home, recharge & comeback fresh..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Feb 24, 2021 08:55:41 pm
      Bobby needs a break thatā€™s all... & hopefully he will get a well deserved rest after this season ends, go back home, recharge & comeback fresh..

Was he good after the restart, 3 month break not enough for him?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Feb 25, 2021 07:48:07 am
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #41: Feb 25, 2021 08:46:07 am
      Was he good after the restart, 3 month break not enough for him?

ā€œF**k Off Heimyā€ So Bobby sat around on his arse for three months did he ? didnā€™t train, didnā€™t stick to his personal training schedule mapped out for him by the sports scientists, didnā€™t keep his fitness levels up so as to be ready for the eventual  restart ,

Itā€™s every topic Heimy, every thread everything anyone else says or has a opinion on that you have to pick Holes in it to cause discord amongst other posters, your not debating, your cajoling, wumming in the hope someone argues with you, so you can extol your bullshit onto them,

Iā€™m sure you do it for the attention you so obviously crave, there is not another poster on these boards that disagrees or has a totally different argument as much as you do on as many threads , seriously, itā€™s every f***in time,

To be honest I donā€™t know the actual stats of what Bobbyā€™s schedule has been like last 5 years, but I will hazard a guess that itā€™s right up there near if not the top, all that travelling he has to endure for international duty, world cups, concaf, even meaningless friendlies, the amount of games he has played in upwards of 60+ a season, 38 domestic league, CL games, etc etc, with hardly a break in between seasons, heā€™s not super f***in man, heā€™s not super human, but he is super knackered, both mentally & physically,

It will be interesting when Jota is back, because I think the first player taken out of that front three will be Bobby, and that wonā€™t be coincidental, heā€™ll be used as a sub and brought on late in the games to come, and after a few matches I bet we will see a better Bobby than of late, simply because of the rest he will get, but we will see, Jota though pivotal in his versatility wonā€™t be the same Jota before his injury heā€™ll need a few games to get back to his best, we all just need to hope he donā€™t pick up another niggle in the interim,

Iā€™ll say it again Bobby isnā€™t done, no where near it, heā€™s basically fu**ed, and needs a break thatā€™s all, his confidence is low because he is tired, that smile he has isnā€™t there because heā€™s knackered, his brain is sending all the right signals but his body is slow to respond because he is burnt the F**k out !

Tell ye what then Heimy, letā€™s have a wee wager, a tenner says that Bobby Firmino next season is much better than the Bobby weā€™ve seen this season ? You reckon heā€™s done, I think not, so letā€™s see who is right ?

Any charity you want (except the Tory party) your wee mates !

Y  N  W  A
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42: Feb 26, 2021 01:23:09 am
      Can't wait to see a Bobby bicycle kick celebrating another goal and Sadio in the background copying him. Oh for the good old days!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #43: Feb 26, 2021 05:02:24 pm
      Hands up, I'm a huge fan of Bobby so I'm biased.

With that out of the way, I think there's a couple of things at issue here. First, he feeds off of the crowd, the man loves scoring and assisting and embarrassing people to the roar of the crowd. I think no crowds has hurt him. Second, he's not a number 9, he's a false 9, he's a playmaker and presser first and a scorer second. When he's scoring it's a bonus, if he's not pressing or assisting then he's a passenger. I personally don't care whether he's scoring loads of goals as long as he's pressing winning the ball back and making those sublime passes. He does seem a little off, but to me, he gets the benefit of the doubt just like Mane and Salah do. If Bobby was as selfish for goals as Mo (not a bad thing) I believe he'd have far more goals, but his contribution to the way we play wouldn't be what Klopp wants it to be.

In my opinion, Bobby comes under far more (and undeserved) scrutiny than his teammates and that's kind of sad because he's a phenomenal player. But don't take my word for it....

"He deserves more credit than me and Mo, for sure," Mane told ESPN Brazil.

"But it is part of football, (people) always seeing the goals scored. But without Bobby, I don't see me and Mo score as many goals as we have, to be honest.

"He makes everything easier for us. Brazil are just lucky to have Firmino. I have always said to Bobby: 'You will have to change your nationality and come to Senegal'.

"For me, that would be a dream. I just love him. I think he is my favourite team-mate."

For me, there's no way I get rid...it's not like this team has any standouts this year. He's just in a line of lackluster looking performances in an off year. And for people thinking Jota is his replacement....nope, there's no way. Jota is backup for Mane and Salah. he doesn't work near as hard off the ball as Bobby does.

Time will tell. We could certainly benefit from bringing in another type of #9, but I don't think we need an out and out replacement...just another option.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #44: Feb 26, 2021 06:38:15 pm

ā€œF**k Off Heimyā€ So Bobby sat around on his arse for three months did he ? didnā€™t train, didnā€™t stick to his personal training schedule mapped out for him by the sports scientists, didnā€™t keep his fitness levels up so as to be ready for the eventual  restart ,

Itā€™s every topic Heimy, every thread everything anyone else says or has a opinion on that you have to pick Holes in it to cause discord amongst other posters, your not debating, your cajoling, wumming in the hope someone argues with you, so you can extol your bullshit onto them,

Iā€™m sure you do it for the attention you so obviously crave, there is not another poster on these boards that disagrees or has a totally different argument as much as you do on as many threads , seriously, itā€™s every f***in time,

To be honest I donā€™t know the actual stats of what Bobbyā€™s schedule has been like last 5 years, but I will hazard a guess that itā€™s right up there near if not the top, all that travelling he has to endure for international duty, world cups, concaf, even meaningless friendlies, the amount of games he has played in upwards of 60+ a season, 38 domestic league, CL games, etc etc, with hardly a break in between seasons, heā€™s not super f***in man, heā€™s not super human, but he is super knackered, both mentally & physically,

It will be interesting when Jota is back, because I think the first player taken out of that front three will be Bobby, and that wonā€™t be coincidental, heā€™ll be used as a sub and brought on late in the games to come, and after a few matches I bet we will see a better Bobby than of late, simply because of the rest he will get, but we will see, Jota though pivotal in his versatility wonā€™t be the same Jota before his injury heā€™ll need a few games to get back to his best, we all just need to hope he donā€™t pick up another niggle in the interim,

Iā€™ll say it again Bobby isnā€™t done, no where near it, heā€™s basically fu**ed, and needs a break thatā€™s all, his confidence is low because he is tired, that smile he has isnā€™t there because heā€™s knackered, his brain is sending all the right signals but his body is slow to respond because he is burnt the f**k out !

Tell ye what then Heimy, letā€™s have a wee wager, a tenner says that Bobby Firmino next season is much better than the Bobby weā€™ve seen this season ? You reckon heā€™s done, I think not, so letā€™s see who is right ?

Any charity you want (except the Tory party) your wee mates !

Y  N  W  A

You said he was burnt out, I pointed out he had a 3 month break from football a year ago, a good chunk of which was probably very light training, ie its not an excuse!
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #45: Feb 26, 2021 07:11:10 pm
      Hands up, I'm a huge fan of Bobby so I'm biased.

With that out of the way, I think there's a couple of things at issue here. First, he feeds off of the crowd, the man loves scoring and assisting and embarrassing people to the roar of the crowd. I think no crowds has hurt him. Second, he's not a number 9, he's a false 9, he's a playmaker and presser first and a scorer second. When he's scoring it's a bonus, if he's not pressing or assisting then he's a passenger. I personally don't care whether he's scoring loads of goals as long as he's pressing winning the ball back and making those sublime passes. He does seem a little off, but to me, he gets the benefit of the doubt just like Mane and Salah do. If Bobby was as selfish for goals as Mo (not a bad thing) I believe he'd have far more goals, but his contribution to the way we play wouldn't be what Klopp wants it to be.

In my opinion, Bobby comes under far more (and undeserved) scrutiny than his teammates and that's kind of sad because he's a phenomenal player. But don't take my word for it....

"He deserves more credit than me and Mo, for sure," Mane told ESPN Brazil.

"But it is part of football, (people) always seeing the goals scored. But without Bobby, I don't see me and Mo score as many goals as we have, to be honest.

"He makes everything easier for us. Brazil are just lucky to have Firmino. I have always said to Bobby: 'You will have to change your nationality and come to Senegal'.

"For me, that would be a dream. I just love him. I think he is my favourite team-mate."

For me, there's no way I get rid...it's not like this team has any standouts this year. He's just in a line of lackluster looking performances in an off year. And for people thinking Jota is his replacement....nope, there's no way. Jota is backup for Mane and Salah. he doesn't work near as hard off the ball as Bobby does.

Time will tell. We could certainly benefit from bringing in another type of #9, but I don't think we need an out and out replacement...just another option.

First sentence was enough thank you

Quick Reply