Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pre match: Sheff Utd v Liverpool - PL - Sunday 28th Feb 19:15

Read 7657 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Pre match: Sheff Utd v Liverpool - PL - Sunday 28th Feb 19:15
      Reply #46: Feb 28, 2021 08:03:24 am
      There is absolutely no doubt that Wilder & his blades will still be parking their bus irrespective of whoever JĆ¼rgen picks for a team,

If there was a opportunity to try something  new against a opponent who are likely to be predictable it is now, so being  without our main defenders and now within our main midfielders there is no other option, doing the same thing week in week out with the usual suspects hasnā€™t worked  so itā€™s not going to work either with secondary choice personnel is it ?

So hereā€™s my idea that could help us temporarily...going 4-1-4-1 yes itā€™s a gamble and yes itā€™s untried as far as I know, Iā€™m not privy to the training practices at Axa, but anyhoo....

Alisson/Adrian

Trent   Phillips   Kabak   Robbo

Wijnaldom

Thiago  Keita   Jones   Mane

Salah

BENCH; Grabara ? , Tsimikas, Neco, Williams, Ox, Bobby, Jota, Shaqiri, Origi

I donā€™t think trying something like this against Sheff U is too much of a risk, doing so against Chelsea maybe, but we do need to try something because weā€™ve  lost too many points playing our usual system, when you lose 75% of your engine you go into slave mode(am I allowed to say that) and allow us to tick over and not necessarily reach the higher gears,

Assuming now that Naby is fit Iā€™d slot him in between Thiago and Jones, he can drop back and help Gini if Blades get too sharp, or could push up and link up when Mane pushes up too, I donā€™t expect him to last the 90, Ox to come on for him after a good hour or so, Gini holding isnā€™t ideal but heā€™s done it before so knows whatā€™s expected, the two CBā€™s will be tested of course but again although not ideal thereā€™s not too many choices to opt from is there ?

We still have Trent and Robbo that can push forward albeit not as much, Blades still pose a threat so we will need both more defensively in this system, Iā€™m hopeful Jota makes the bench a good ten minutes from him late on could prove fruitful if things are tight, Shaqiri also could change mindsets and give us options late on,

I know it wonā€™t be everyoneā€™s cup of tea but we really need to try something new, we know how they are going to set up we just need to find another way past it, it wonā€™t  be pretty to look at, it may be slower and take time to get used to but I think it could work, Bielsa uses it in his Leeds side and have produced some favourable results, not all the time but sufficiently, we really need to start picking up points starting from tonight, you know how it is, one or two wins weā€™re back in it, CL qualification is our new goal, letā€™s make sure we have enough points to ensure it.

1-2 Champions

Y  N  W  A

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2021 08:14:44 am by billythered »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #47: Feb 28, 2021 10:06:50 am
      Not too sure about that. Gerrard was never overly vocal, especially in the years leading up to taking the armband. During his captaincy I always thought Carragher was the more 'vocal' leader on the pitch, but Gerrard was the one who led with his feet and was the one who you could give the ball to when the chips were down. Similar to Mane in that respect

Gerrard didnā€™t need to be vocal because Carragher was.
      Who have we got when Hendos out 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Robbo possibly ?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #48: Feb 28, 2021 10:15:22 am
      There is absolutely no doubt that Wilder & his blades will still be parking their bus irrespective of whoever JĆ¼rgen picks for a team,

If there was a opportunity to try something  new against a opponent who are likely to be predictable it is now, so being  without our main defenders and now within our main midfielders there is no other option, doing the same thing week in week out with the usual suspects hasnā€™t worked  so itā€™s not going to work either with secondary choice personnel is it ?

So hereā€™s my idea that could help us temporarily...going 4-1-4-1 yes itā€™s a gamble and yes itā€™s untried as far as I know, Iā€™m not privy to the training practices at Axa, but anyhoo....

Alisson/Adrian

Trent   Phillips   Kabak   Robbo

Wijnaldom

Thiago  Keita   Jones   Mane

Salah

BENCH; Grabara ? , Tsimikas, Neco, Williams, Ox, Bobby, Jota, Shaqiri, Origi

I donā€™t think trying something like this against Sheff U is too much of a risk, doing so against Chelsea maybe, but we do need to try something because weā€™ve  lost too many points playing our usual system, when you lose 75% of your engine you go into slave mode(am I allowed to say that) and allow us to tick over and not necessarily reach the higher gears,

Assuming now that Naby is fit Iā€™d slot him in between Thiago and Jones, he can drop back and help Gini if Blades get too sharp, or could push up and link up when Mane pushes up too, I donā€™t expect him to last the 90, Ox to come on for him after a good hour or so, Gini holding isnā€™t ideal but heā€™s done it before so knows whatā€™s expected, the two CBā€™s will be tested of course but again although not ideal thereā€™s not too many choices to opt from is there ?

We still have Trent and Robbo that can push forward albeit not as much, Blades still pose a threat so we will need both more defensively in this system, Iā€™m hopeful Jota makes the bench a good ten minutes from him late on could prove fruitful if things are tight, Shaqiri also could change mindsets and give us options late on,

I know it wonā€™t be everyoneā€™s cup of tea but we really need to try something new, we know how they are going to set up we just need to find another way past it, it wonā€™t  be pretty to look at, it may be slower and take time to get used to but I think it could work, Bielsa uses it in his Leeds side and have produced some favourable results, not all the time but sufficiently, we really need to start picking up points starting from tonight, you know how it is, one or two wins weā€™re back in it, CL qualification is our new goal, letā€™s make sure we have enough points to ensure it.

1-2 Champions

Y  N  W  A

These lowly teams set up against City in a similar fashion.
      City players take them on and cut into the box along the by line then cross it in with pace snd thereā€™s always 1 or 2 players waiting for the tap in.
      We seem to cross the ball in early and are out numbered and the cross is blocked, or our lads are jumping against fellas a foot taller.
      There are ways if you have the confidence to go for it.
      We have to take defenders on more. Take them out of the  game or draw a foul. Need to try shooting more from 18-20 yds. Deflections will be as common as blocks in a crowded area.
      We seem to just take the same option, one where all the opposition sides are set up to defend.
      We just need a bit of tweaking to create something unexpected.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,277 posts | 762 
      Reply #49: Feb 28, 2021 10:18:02 am
      I would settle for any win today, even against lowly Sheffield United. The main thing is securing all three points, to challenge for a top four position.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 521 posts | 108 
      Reply #50: Feb 28, 2021 11:01:50 am
      I would settle for any win today, even against lowly Sheffield United. The main thing is securing all three points, to challenge for a top four position.

Ditto this.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #51: Feb 28, 2021 11:24:35 am
      Gerrard didnā€™t need to be vocal because Carragher was.
      Who have we got when Hendos out 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Robbo possibly ?

Yeah it's a mad situation like. Think Robbo probably is the most vocal player we have available - think he would make a good stand in captain too, but I just reckon Mane deserves a go too
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #52: Feb 28, 2021 12:06:31 pm
      Any word on Kelleher? Are we looking at Adrian starting tonight?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #53: Feb 28, 2021 12:07:14 pm
      Just win please.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #54: Feb 28, 2021 12:23:40 pm
      Wouldnā€™t be arsed if the gaffer had  some of the canteen staff on the bench as long as one of them secures us the 3 points..

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #55: Feb 28, 2021 12:42:44 pm

Feels like the biggest game weā€™ve ever had. We have to win to raise any hope or any sort of dignity and success
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,437 posts | 1462 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #56: Feb 28, 2021 12:50:43 pm
      I wouldnā€™t be able to stomach even a draw today, never mind a loss... please just win, even if itā€™s a scrappy 1-0.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #57: Feb 28, 2021 12:58:15 pm
      Got this horrible lingering feeling that they might turn us over. Earlier in the season when Klopp was making his digs at Wilder, the way things have been going the last few months it wouldn't surprise me at all if they came back to bite us on the arse and got one over on us. It certainly wouldn't be the maddest thing to happen to us this season that's for sure

Be delighted with a win at all costs
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #58: Feb 28, 2021 01:05:18 pm
      COYR  :scarf:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #59: Feb 28, 2021 01:50:20 pm
      I was quite confident, reading sll these posts Iā€™m getting nervous. Especially with our diminishing squad. If Nabys not fit, where do we get any thrust from in midfield.
      All looking a bit lightweight in there at the mo, no one commanding in there now.
      Still going for 0-2 to us. Cos my heart says so 😬
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,502 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #60: Feb 28, 2021 02:14:58 pm
      Even with injuries, poor form and everything else considered, we should really get a result in this game, a draw - if not a win.
      They're bottom of the table with their own problems.
      And although we're weakened at the back, we *should* still have enough going forward.

Would drop Bobby for it, too much has broken down around him in recent matches. Mo and Mane haven't been brilliant either, but at least they have goal threat.
      If JĆ¼rgen does start him, would like nothing more than to see Bobby play well, am just going on recent matches and the need to try something a little different.

Hopefully Kelleher is available and starts if Ali can't.
      And don't think there is any other choice than to go Nat/Kabak at CB.

Really need these 3 points for the CL chase.
      And would be nice to be able to watch the MOTD highlights for first time in ages.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #61: Feb 28, 2021 02:36:31 pm
      I think we will win easily we just must concentrate from the begining
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #62: Feb 28, 2021 02:39:06 pm
      On another note, we desperately need a win todsy to keep those horrible bitter cu*ts behind us
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #63: Feb 28, 2021 02:42:56 pm
      See Maison has been binned as 4th official today but ive heared Moss is ref  and Atkinson is VAR so i wouldnt be counting on a penalty today
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,693 posts | 3365 
      Reply #64: Feb 28, 2021 03:03:20 pm
      Any word on Kelleher? Are we looking at Adrian starting tonight?

I donā€™t think they have ruled out Alisson yet
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #65: Feb 28, 2021 03:07:18 pm
      Fancy us to win comfortably 2-0 , be nice to shut up the media and 'experts' ,come on redmen ,lets F***ing do this !
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #66: Feb 28, 2021 03:39:02 pm
      I fancy us to win this, just have a feeling that losing to the blue sh*te at home was the rock bottom of our current "blip" and we spring back now.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #67: Feb 28, 2021 03:42:59 pm
      See Maison has been binned as 4th official today but ive heared Moss is ref  and Atkinson is VAR so i wouldnt be counting on a penalty today

Count on Martin to award United a pen or two then!
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #68: Feb 28, 2021 03:47:28 pm

These lowly teams set up against City in a similar fashion.
      City players take them on and cut into the box along the by line then cross it in with pace snd thereā€™s always 1 or 2 players waiting for the tap in.
      We seem to cross the ball in early and are out numbered and the cross is blocked, or our lads are jumping against fellas a foot taller.
      There are ways if you have the confidence to go for it.
      We have to take defenders on more. Take them out of the  game or draw a foul. Need to try shooting more from 18-20 yds. Deflections will be as common as blocks in a crowded area.
      We seem to just take the same option, one where all the opposition sides are set up to defend.
      We just need a bit of tweaking to create something unexpected.

Our forwards are better at latching on to through balls and neat one-twos rather than taking players on. Weā€™ve been starved of space this season. Perhaps this explains our lack of goals.

Quick Reply