Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Stevie For Manager ...

Read 7180 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Stevie For Manager ...
      Reply #23: Feb 28, 2021 02:36:53 pm
      I would hope the club look at someone like Nagelsmann, Rose , Stephen

Don't get the clamour for Nagelsmann, every time I've seen his Leipzig team, they don't impress me. Reminds me of the "cos he's young" bullshit that saw BRod end up here. Haven't a clue who the Rose and Stephen you're referring to.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #24: Feb 28, 2021 03:02:33 pm
      Don't get the clamour for Nagelsmann, every time I've seen his Leipzig team, they don't impress me. Reminds me of the "cos he's young" bullshit that saw BRod end up here. Haven't a clue who the Rose and Stephen you're referring to.

Nagelsmann is what Klopp was like when he first started out - he is quality but it would be a risk

Rose is current Munchengladbach manager - he has done superb with them , he is going to Dortmund next season so if he continue his trend will do well ( was great at Mainz and then Salzburg )

Stephan is the current Rennes manager - a bit more risk but one who has a bright futur
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #25: Feb 28, 2021 03:28:04 pm
      Feel dirty talking about this while the manager is still in contract and looks to honour it.

If it were the case that Klopp was looking to leave or the owners wanted it so before the contract ends I would love for Benitez to come back as a buffer for when Gerrard has just a little more experience.

I think that Benitez could still have us winning trophies in the interim and leave Stevie in a strong position to pick up a squad that could really challenge on all fronts, but then again Benitez has always been annoyed at the lack of money at his disposal so it might be a fairytale for him more than a reality.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #26: Feb 28, 2021 03:56:14 pm
      Let Jürgen finish up with the work he has started. If he has respected us and hasn’t walked, then why should we disrespect him over a couple of undesirable results? It’s one thing to sack a manager, but identifying another to replace him while he’s still on the job is a big dishonour to the man who won us a few major trophies I feel.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #27: Feb 28, 2021 06:24:05 pm
      Let Jürgen finish up with the work he has started. If he has respected us and hasn’t walked, then why should we disrespect him over a couple of undesirable results? It’s one thing to sack a manager, but identifying another to replace him while he’s still on the job is a big dishonour to the man who won us a few major trophies I feel.

Agree fully.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #28: Feb 28, 2021 06:24:51 pm
      If Jürgen was to go, Stevie would and should be his replacement. He's done extremely well at Rangers. It's a difficult club to manage - plenty of pressure, not much money and up against a dominant Celtic when he took over. He's got them playing decent football (something Rangers don't necessarily do historically, even when winning) and he seems seriously good at organising a defence as well. He's been level headed and comfortable in handling a big club. He now has way more experience than eg Kenny did when he took over (and that went pretty well). He should definitely be top of any new manager list.

However, all that is (hopefully) irrelevant, cos Jürgen is the best manager in world football, he has unfinished business here (no way should he be satisfied with just 1 title and 1 European Cup with us), and I doubt he is going anywhere.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #29: Feb 28, 2021 08:34:47 pm
      I would have loved for him to have worked with Klopp on the sidelines for a year or two before finally taking over, but with how well he's doing at Rangers thats never going to happen.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #30: Feb 28, 2021 09:04:19 pm
      Nah..
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #31: Feb 28, 2021 09:48:24 pm
      I think he takes over in 2024. Many will write him off, but ge has turned Rangers from a shambles into a footballing side.

Its all relative of course, but I think his and Jurgens contract ending when they do will be no coincidence.

Lots of times it works and lots of times it doesn't but Stevie has the skill set for the job IMO. The only thing in his way would be getting too attached. He is very focused almost to the point of it being a negative.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #32: Mar 01, 2021 08:20:04 am
      Sentimental manager changes never worked in the past, nor will work in the future.
      Even though Steven is a totem personality for the club, I think that a possible hiring as a manager will harm him and the club as well. We cannot compare Steven's success as a manager in a league where two teams are competing (and one of them is in a shitty situation at the moment), with the Premier League. They are different universes, and Steven doesn't have the experience yet to compete in the highest level. So, in Klopp we trust. Keep Jürgen for as long as possible.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #33: Mar 01, 2021 08:41:37 am
      I think he takes over in 2024. Many will write him off, but ge has turned Rangers from a shambles into a footballing side.

Its all relative of course, but I think his and Jurgens contract ending when they do will be no coincidence.

Lots of times it works and lots of times it doesn't but Stevie has the skill set for the job IMO. The only thing in his way would be getting too attached. He is very focused almost to the point of it being a negative.

The Scottish Prem is a tough league... I’m
      No fan of Rangers but the past decade they couldn’t lay a glove on Celtic, yes Celtic have been poor but Stevie has Rangers in a position to capitalise on the mistakes the current champions are making..

Also, No one is discussing the form Stevie has Rangers in Europe, that’s some campaign.. We can say the SPL is a 2 club league but you can’t say that about the Europa Cup..
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #34: Mar 01, 2021 08:58:00 am
      The Scottish Prem is a tough league... I’m
      No fan of Rangers but the past decade they couldn’t lay a glove on Celtic, yes Celtic have been poor but Stevie has Rangers in a position to capitalise on the mistakes the current champions are making..

Also, No one is discussing the form Stevie has Rangers in Europe, that’s some campaign.. We can say the SPL is a 2 club league but you can’t say that about the Europa Cup..

What Gerrard does in the Scottish Prem shouldnt ever be the marker - it’s not a tough league , it’s a league of two teams and depending on the resources available for each team will be the winner - right now Rangers have the upper hand and he has done well but it’s akin to doing well in the Championship

Europe however is different - right now he is doing very well in the Europa Lge - the next round will be key and then next season even bigger when Rangers are in the CL - it will be tough but if he can get Rangers into the Group stages and then go up against the top teams that imo will be the barometer for how well he is doing
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #35: Mar 01, 2021 09:32:36 am

What Gerrard does in the Scottish Prem shouldnt ever be the marker - it’s not a tough league , it’s a league of two teams and depending on the resources available for each team will be the winner - right now Rangers have the upper hand and he has done well but it’s akin to doing well in the Championship

Europe however is different - right now he is doing very well in the Europa Lge - the next round will be key and then next season even bigger when Rangers are in the CL - it will be tough but if he can get Rangers into the Group stages and then go up against the top teams that imo will be the barometer for how well he is doing

See that annoys me mate, Im a scottish football supporter, well society member and season ticket holder at motherwell.

Every player that comes to scotland from so called better leagues go away saying its nothing like what people say, farmers leagues and all that sh1te.

And apart from that, you tell me how many other leagues regularly have someone win the title that isn't from the top 2.

Germany - Munchen win it almost every year
      France - PSG been dominating for 10 years, before that Lyon dominated for 10 years
      Italy - Juve have domianted for at least 10 years, Inter had a spell of 5 years i think, then in years past obv. Milan and others had the odd win, but still 1 or 2 teams winning most things.
      Holland mostly PSV or Ajax, with Feyenord winning the odd title

Even England, even though its very competitive league, for 20 odd years the mancs dominated it (boring farmers league) ;D

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #36: Mar 01, 2021 09:45:19 am
      See that annoys me mate, Im a scottish football supporter, well society member and season ticket holder at motherwell.

Every player that comes to scotland from so called better leagues go away saying its nothing like what people say, farmers leagues and all that sh1te.

And apart from that, you tell me how many other leagues regularly have someone win the title that isn't from the top 2.

France - PSG been dominating for 10 years, before that Lyon dominated for 10 years
      Italy - Juve have domianted for at least 10 years, Inter had a spell of 5 years i think, then in years past obv. Milan and others had the odd win, but still 1 or 2 teams winning most things.

Even England, even though its very competitive league, for 20 odd years the mancs dominated it (boring farmers league) ;D

And when did a team outside Celtic and Rangers win the title ? 37 years ago ?

You don’t even get the odd team win every now and then

In that same period in England

Everton , Man Utd , City , Chelsea , Arsenal , Blackburn , Leicester and Liverpool have won the league

Italy - Inter , AC , Lazio , Juve , Roma , Napoli , Sampdoria

It’s the same with the other leagues

But the big pointer is the performances in Europe - when was the last time a Scottish club reached the group stage of the CL ? They have the odd run in the Europa league

Yep it will be tough relative the teams around them but at the moment most of the teams in the division would either be at Championship or Lge 1 level

Rangers becoming good again should have been great for the league but it’s going to be a stroll again because Celtic are poor now - the league needs both Celtic and Rangers to be strong and then add in an Aberdeen or Hearts to challenge again
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #37: Mar 01, 2021 09:47:15 am
      Rangers are having a great season - as someone who (against sectarian stereoptypes) sympathises with the hooped side of the Old Firm - thats beyond dispute.

That said - if you think what Stevie has done there means he would be ready for the reds then youre just wrong. Celtic have imploded and been complacent. Rangers form has been terrific but they've arguably underperformed in his first two seasons.

This isn't a Scottish fitba reservation - this is a he hasn't shown me anything as a manager that would put him near my shortlist for those to follow Jürgen reservation.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #38: Mar 01, 2021 10:17:44 am
      Finally clicked on the link to read the 'article'. What a piece of sh*t journalism, surely in the hat for the Booker prize this year.

No named quotes, just opinion, speculation, & stating the obvious.

It's a what if article from a rag just above the uber rag.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #39: Mar 01, 2021 10:27:21 am
      Finally clicked on the link to read the 'article'. What a piece of sh*t journalism, surely in the hat for the Booker prize this year.

Thanks you have saved me the hassle. Again this morning its all over my newsfeed and I admit it nearly sucked me in.

You get better writing in here than in some of those papers
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #40: Mar 01, 2021 10:33:17 am

And when did a team outside Celtic and Rangers win the title ? 37 years ago ?

You don’t even get the odd team win every now and then

In that same period in England

Everton , Man Utd , City , Chelsea , Arsenal , Blackburn , Leicester and Liverpool have won the league

Italy - Inter , AC , Lazio , Juve , Roma , Napoli , Sampdoria

It’s the same with the other leagues

But the big pointer is the performances in Europe - when was the last time a Scottish club reached the group stage of the CL ? They have the odd run in the Europa league

Yep it will be tough relative the teams around them but at the moment most of the teams in the division would either be at Championship or Lge 1 level

Rangers becoming good again should have been great for the league but it’s going to be a stroll again because Celtic are poor now - the league needs both Celtic and Rangers to be strong and then add in an Aberdeen or Hearts to challenge again

Aberdeen is last team to win the league outside top 2 in scotland, too long ago I agree.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention spain, just 2 teams winning everything.

And yes scottish teams have been poor in europe in recent times, but thats primarily down to the monoply of the tv deals the English league gets and the champions league money. We will never be able to compete with that, same with all the other leagues outside of the top 5 or so countries. That doesnt mean to say very other smaller leagues are totally crap football, or farmers leagues as folk down south like to call it.

the level of pressure on a manager at celtic & rangers is the same if not more than any big club in any other league, they both have to win every game, and then add in the pressure of the sectarian element. Stevie G is getting a very good managerial education up here.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41: Mar 01, 2021 10:34:11 am

yup. its just rubbish journos printing rubbish stories, klopp and stevie are both contracted till 2024 as well. ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42: Mar 01, 2021 10:38:14 am

And we're all helping it along by clicking on it, devoting a whole thread to it. Even the title here makes it look like something is up,

AND NOTHING IS UP.  Jürgen IS STAYING.

The basis for the article is: 1) Gerrard used to play here, is very popular and is a manager now; 2) Jürgen is from Germany; 3) The team lost some games after a rash of injuries.

There are other threads about Steven Gerrard if someone wants to discuss what might happen with him three + years in the future or reminisce about his playing career with us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #43: Mar 01, 2021 04:47:27 pm

Most of those countries you listed have teams that also win European trophies. Scotland............nada!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #44: Mar 01, 2021 05:10:11 pm
      Didn't Graeme Souness do well managing Rangers as well?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #45: Mar 01, 2021 05:14:30 pm
      Didn't Graeme Souness do well managing Rangers as well?

Yep - he did very well up on the backing of a lot of money

Ferguson is the last manager who has moved down and done well but he broke the old firm mould and also did well in Europe

That’s what Gerrard needs to do - success in Europe , getting to the group stage must be the bare minimum- there have been a number of small clubs from many countries that have reached the group stage

Until he proves himself on that level then he imo shouldn’t be considered for the Liverpool job

Quick Reply