Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Stevie For Manager ...

Read 7174 times
      Jurgenabelieveus
      • Banned

• 48 posts | 11 
      Re: Stevie For Manager ...
      Reply #46: Mar 01, 2021 05:25:04 pm
      Yep - he did very well up on the backing of a lot of money

Ferguson is the last manager who has moved down and done well but he broke the old firm mould and also did well in Europe

That’s what Gerrard needs to do - success in Europe , getting to the group stage must be the bare minimum- there have been a number of small clubs from many countries that have reached the group stage

Until he proves himself on that level then he imo shouldn’t be considered for the Liverpool job

Personally don’t think there is a black and white, absolute framework to say someone is ready or not

It’s a feel

What would have happened if we had turned around to Kenny, or Bob or Joe and said you need to go and prove yourself first

Anyway it’s years away yet, we have an unbelievable manager currently and I don’t want to think of the next, Stevie or whoever until Jürgen decides it’s time to move on
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #47: Mar 01, 2021 05:34:23 pm
      Personally don’t think there is a black and white, absolute framework to say someone is ready or not

It’s a feel

What would have happened if we had turned around to Kenny, or Bob or Joe and said you need to go and prove yourself first

Anyway it’s years away yet, we have an unbelievable manager currently and I don’t want to think of the next, Stevie or whoever until Jürgen decides it’s time to move on

It is that black and white for me - when Klopp does leave then i would want a proven manager at the highest level to come in

We did use to promote from within but the game has moved on a lot since then
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #48: Mar 01, 2021 07:00:09 pm
      The Mirror have ran this story in three different guises over the last few days, they seem hell bent on JK leaving us.
      The media didn't rest until Suarez left us and they've done the same with Salah and Real Madrid for a good three years, Mane also with Barca and Real and Bobby with Barca . The Mirror have always done it every year for about 10 years Ryan Giggs was signing for Inter Milan, now I'm not arsed about the Mancs but it shows what utter BS gets spouted.

It’s click bait ... they do it because LFC fans are more likely to click on the link if they are worried Klopp is going than if it’s a positive good-news story
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #49: Mar 01, 2021 07:33:50 pm
      Didn't Graeme Souness do well managing Rangers as well?

He did. Cautionary tale.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #50: Mar 01, 2021 09:23:58 pm
      The vast majority of fans are far too clued up to take much notice of the rubbish wrote in the gutter press. Who after all are only trying to sell newspapers. Stevie Gerrard maybe doing a fine job in managing Rangers, but this is obviously not the time to step in to to the role as manager of a club such as ours.

Further more it stands to reason we have the best manager available in Jürgen Klopp. I sincerely hope like most fans that he sees out his contract until 2024.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #51: Mar 01, 2021 09:31:52 pm
      It’s embarrassing this thread is still up IMHO.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #52: Mar 01, 2021 09:45:50 pm
      It’s embarrassing this thread is still up IMHO.

Nothing wrong with free debate/discussion even if you disagree with it. It is a forum after all.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #53: Mar 01, 2021 09:58:29 pm
      Nothing wrong with free debate/discussion even if you disagree with it. It is a forum after all.

It’s founded upon speculation from a terrible news source who’s constantly after the next click bait. My issue is with the timing of it and the not so thinkly veiled attempt to kick a man when his down shame so many have bought  into it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #54: Mar 02, 2021 08:32:59 am
      Yep - he did very well up on the backing of a lot of money

Ferguson is the last manager who has moved down and done well but he broke the old firm mould and also did well in Europe

He always thought his Aberdeen team could win the European Cup - until they met Paisley's Reds!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #55: Mar 02, 2021 02:07:52 pm

It is that black and white for me - when Klopp does leave then i would want a proven manager at the highest level to come in

We did use to promote from within but the game has moved on a lot since then

Define highest level, for me we already have the highest level, so who is better than Jürgen, Pep G ? These two are the highest in European if not the world, up there would be Zidane but not so recently, Simeone the same ,
      Flick at Bayern M would be a able candidate but would he leave Munich for Liverpool, can’t see it myself,

Anyone  else for me would be a level down, unless of course the likes of a Nagelsman proves his worth between now and Jürgen hanging up his snood, and this where I think our own Pep Ljinders has a more than decent shout, no one knew for sure that Bob Paisley would have the success he did, forget the, oh that was the old days, we’ve moved on now, no sorry don’t buy that at all, who else knows more about our players than our No2 ?

Jürgen himself would admit that a lot of impetus comes from those he considers his most trusted lieutenants, Pep & Pete, along with all the others on his staff, they themselves are a team looking after the team,
      I’m not saying Pep Ljinders should be our next boss, however his knowledge, his expertise & his coaching abilities should not be ignored for someone else who would have to learn all that Pep knows already, and perhaps have to reinvent the wheel ?

Y  N  W  A

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #56: Mar 03, 2021 10:41:06 am
      Most of those countries you listed have teams that also win European trophies. Scotland............nada!!

This true but still 2 big clubs are dominant.
      Ulsters_No1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts | 10 
      Reply #57: Mar 03, 2021 11:07:46 am
      I'm in two minds about whether I would like Stevie G on the side lines as our manager.

This season has proven more than any other how the media and the like can turn on a manager when a bad patch occurs - despite the problems we have with injuries. Its not as if we have been anywhere near full strength this year and performed badly - I would agree with media getting on a managers back then. It would be a shame for Stevie to come across a bad patch and then have the media and more importantly fans on his back when things don't go well.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #58: Mar 03, 2021 11:24:26 am

And when did a team outside Celtic and Rangers win the title ? 37 years ago ?

You don’t even get the odd team win every now and then

In that same period in England

Everton , Man Utd , City , Chelsea , Arsenal , Blackburn , Leicester and Liverpool have won the league

Italy - Inter , AC , Lazio , Juve , Roma , Napoli , Sampdoria

It’s the same with the other leagues

But the big pointer is the performances in Europe - when was the last time a Scottish club reached the group stage of the CL ? They have the odd run in the Europa league

Yep it will be tough relative the teams around them but at the moment most of the teams in the division would either be at Championship or Lge 1 level

Rangers becoming good again should have been great for the league but it’s going to be a stroll again because Celtic are poor now - the league needs both Celtic and Rangers to be strong and then add in an Aberdeen or Hearts to challenge again

I don't really understand your argument here, no one is disputing that the Scottish league is weaker than the Prem but having said that everyone expected Celtic to cruise to another title this season so what Stevie has done in winning by a huge margin AND progressing very well in Europe is a brilliant job. Now whether or not that translates to managing a Prem team is a different discussion, but I think its a pretty good indicator, plenty of managers have come from the Scottish leagues and done very well so there is no reason why Stevie can't. I think 2024 would be a perfect time for him to take over.

BTW I notice that you missed out the Spanish and German leagues, I wonder why ;-)
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #59: Mar 03, 2021 12:00:21 pm

Define highest level, for me we already have the highest level, so who is better than Jürgen, Pep G ? These two are the highest in European if not the world, up there would be Zidane but not so recently, Simeone the same ,
      Flick at Bayern M would be a able candidate but would he leave Munich for Liverpool, can’t see it myself,

Football moves pretty fast, I think if Klopp does end up leaving in 2024 then it's a possibility that a lot of us might not even be familiar with his replacement at this present time.

Klopp himself only really started getting wider European recognition around 2011/2012 after winning titles with Dortmund, and probably only became a household name after guiding them to the European Cup final in 2013. I believe he was approached by United around that time too as an initial successor to Alex Ferguson. So from 2010 - 2013 he went from being a pretty unfamiliar name to the average football fan to being headhunted by one of the biggest clubs in the world. That's why I don't really see any point in touting potential replacements for somebody who is probably going to be here for at least another 3 and a bit years, because I think there'll be a lot of managers moving in and out of the forefront during that time. A relative unknown in 2021 could be one of the most sought after managers in the world by the time 2024 comes around

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #60: Mar 04, 2021 12:29:19 pm
      Still bobbing about the rumour and speculation circuit this one!
      The truth is the shitehawks of the manc media cannot wait for Jürgen's departure from LFC.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #61: Mar 08, 2021 03:56:03 pm
      Stevie is to busy celebrating his teams title win,to be bothered about all this media crap.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #62: Mar 08, 2021 04:17:42 pm
      Took Stevie 3 years to master a poor league and he had a big hand off Celtic being dire this year.

Be a disaster if Jürgen goes and Stevie comes in, hes not ready and imagine the reaction on here when he didnt nail it in the first season or 2..

Ideal to leave him at Rangers another year see how he goes in the champions league. A year or 2 then at a prem lge club like Newcastle and then in 2024 when Jürgen is done, if hes done, Stevie, if proven himself, steps in

This is not a fairytale where we give the job to him because its Stevoe then he goes and wins it all
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #63: Mar 08, 2021 06:37:07 pm
      Disrespectful to  link him with any club ,whilst he is on a contract with a club he is very happy with ,the fans adore him ,players respect him ,and the board have a great relationship with him.   As for Newcastle, Rangers are a bigger club than them, why would go there under Ashley?just ask our LFC ex managers how they done there.                                                                                                                       
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #64: Mar 08, 2021 06:48:52 pm
      Disrespectful to  link him with any club ,whilst he is on a contract with a club he is very happy with ,the fans adore him ,players respect him ,and the board have a great relationship with him.   As for Newcastle, Rangers are a bigger club than them, why would go there under Ashley?just ask our LFC ex managers how they done there.                                                                                                                       

Newcastle were used as an example of a premier league club he could prove himself at. Could have easily have said Wolves or Villa etc
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #65: Mar 08, 2021 07:06:38 pm
      This talk is sickening what's up with you lot, we have Jürgen Klopp as our manager and long may it be so
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #66: Mar 08, 2021 07:35:29 pm
      Its is sickening,both managers are under contract ,i think Stevie will be at Rangers for the long hall ,Klopp will prove them all wrong.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #67: Mar 08, 2021 08:43:27 pm
      No thanks, not ready just yet!
      CurraghRed
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #68: Mar 08, 2021 09:36:45 pm

And when did a team outside Celtic and Rangers win the title ? 37 years ago ?

You don’t even get the odd team win every now and then

In that same period in England

Everton , Man Utd , City , Chelsea , Arsenal , Blackburn , Leicester and Liverpool have won the league

Italy - Inter , AC , Lazio , Juve , Roma , Napoli , Sampdoria

It’s the same with the other leagues

But the big pointer is the performances in Europe - when was the last time a Scottish club reached the group stage of the CL ? They have the odd run in the Europa league

Yep it will be tough relative the teams around them but at the moment most of the teams in the division would either be at Championship or Lge 1 level

Rangers becoming good again should have been great for the league but it’s going to be a stroll again because Celtic are poor now - the league needs both Celtic and Rangers to be strong and then add in an Aberdeen or Hearts to challenge again

Poor Leeds didn't even get a mention  :o :o :o

Quick Reply