Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sheff Utd?

Adrián
      1 (1.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      19 (20.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (3.3%)
      Ozan Kabak
      0 (0%)
      Nat Phillips
      9 (9.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.2%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      2 (2.2%)
      Curtis Jones
      49 (53.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      5 (5.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: Mar 04, 2021 09:05:30 pm

Sheffield United 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15454 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: Sheffield United 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Mar 01, 2021 08:06:04 am
      Few takeaways from the game.

1. As much as I try to see what Thiago offers to us I just don't get it.  Doesn't play the ball quickly.  Doesn't close down.  Doesn't win second balls.  Doesn't press.  I'm sure there's a great footballer in there but fully fit squad there's no way he gets in the starting XI.  Having said all that - I'm not sure peak Xabi Alonso would fit in to a Jürgen Klopp team.

2. How interesting that when we play two centre backs in defence we get a clean sheet - even with the Adrian factor.  When Fabinho comes back - he goes in midfield.  A lot of us have been saying it for some time now.  Novelty personally for him 'filling in at CB', and Henderson, has worn off.  Take the sh*t goals we concede and have as much competition as we can up front.

3. I haven't seen Phillips put a foot wrong since for us since he has been playing.  Not sure why he had a spell of being binned off.   Him and Kabak might well be rough diamonds but the age they are they could learn a huge amount, not just now, but when our more senior players do eventually return next season.

Doesn't move the ball quickly ? He plays more first time balls than any of our midfield and very rarely has over one touch and his pass accuracy also very high
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #530: Mar 01, 2021 08:46:13 am

1. As much as I try to see what Thiago offers to us I just don't get it.  Doesn't play the ball quickly.  Doesn't close down.  Doesn't win second balls.  Doesn't press.  I'm sure there's a great footballer in there but fully fit squad there's no way he gets in the starting XI.  Having said all that - I'm not sure peak Xabi Alonso would fit in to a Jürgen Klopp team.

2. How interesting that when we play two centre backs in defence we get a clean sheet - even with the Adrian factor.  When Fabinho comes back - he goes in midfield.  A lot of us have been saying it for some time now.  Novelty personally for him 'filling in at CB', and Henderson, has worn off.  Take the sh*t goals we concede and have as much competition as we can up front.

3. I haven't seen Phillips put a foot wrong since for us since he has been playing.  Not sure why he had a spell of being binned off.   Him and Kabak might well be rough diamonds but the age they are they could learn a huge amount, not just now, but when our more senior players do eventually return next season.

Sorry but No1 is just complete Tosh.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #531: Mar 01, 2021 08:58:43 am
      Good to get a win but kabak is a liability he is all over the place, don’t know how bad the Preston lad is if he can’t get a go in front of him.

Its early days but Id be surprised from what Ive seen so far that we will fork out 18 million on him in the summer. Hes no upgrade on anyine we already have as far as I can see
      Kitty
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 115 
      Reply #532: Mar 01, 2021 09:16:59 am

[/quote

I agree with Thiago - Maybe circumstances has meant he has not had enough time in training to adjust to Klopps system! Usually Klopp would not play you till you do. As it stands he loses the ball too easily and is a bit of a liability in terms of giving away free kicks in dangerous areas!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #533: Mar 01, 2021 09:21:32 am
      We won, we needed a win. GOOD !!!

Next.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #534: Mar 01, 2021 10:17:03 am

good post 100% correct.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #535: Mar 01, 2021 10:21:23 am
      Its early days but Id be surprised from what Ive seen so far that we will fork out 18 million on him in the summer. Hes no upgrade on anyine we already have as far as I can see

True Brian,he's similar to lovern,doesn't read the game,gets caught on the wrong side and is slow to react and comits way to many fouls in dangerous positions,wouldn't surprise me if he sees red in the next couple of games.
      Brown1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #536: Mar 01, 2021 11:14:03 am
      A very average performance from a mid-table team only to be inspired by Jones's performance to secure the 3 points, however, if we play like this against Chelsea, we will get turned over and another home defeat will be on the card.
      The clever manager once again has selected his 'Three Degrees' forwards, who all flopped, the worse two Firmino & Salah, who were both shits.
      Kabak is really sh*t and he reminds me of the useless Klavan, Kabak will cost us games because he is too weak to be in the first 11.

Looking at the incoming games, you just wonder how many points this team can secure? Chelsea, Fulham, Wolves, Arsenal, and Villa!!!
      The clever manager has refused the suggestion that his team needs a MAJOR rebuilding, no wonder he does not need it, if you have the likes Origi, Kaita, Firmino, Salah, and even Gini in your squad.
      Can anyone tell me what this manager select two reserves goalkeepers as subs, and he has done that in many previous games!!!!!

God Help Us
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #537: Mar 01, 2021 11:23:23 am
      A very average performance from a mid-table team only to be inspired by Jones's performance to secure the 3 points, however, if we play like this against Chelsea, we will get turned over and another home defeat will be on the card.
      The clever manager once again has selected his 'Three Degrees' forwards, who all flopped, the worse two Firmino & Salah, who were both shits.
      Kabak is really sh*t and he reminds me of the useless Klavan, Kabak will cost us games because he is too weak to be in the first 11.

Looking at the incoming games, you just wonder how many points this team can secure? Chelsea, Fulham, Wolves, Arsenal, and Villa!!!
      The clever manager has refused the suggestion that his team needs a MAJOR rebuilding, no wonder he does not need it, if you have the likes Origi, Kaita, Firmino, Salah, and even Gini in your squad.
      Can anyone tell me what this manager select two reserves goalkeepers as subs, and he has done that in many previous games!!!!!

God Help Us

😴😴😴😴😴😴😴
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #538: Mar 01, 2021 12:49:12 pm

God Help Us

🙄 Oh dear a blueshite has registered!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #539: Mar 01, 2021 01:00:44 pm

God Help Us

By us I assume you mean Man Utd, Everton or Chelsea!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #540: Mar 01, 2021 01:15:25 pm

God Help Us

Whoooo the F**k is this guy?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #541: Mar 01, 2021 01:17:46 pm

God Help Us

When the name fits the post......
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #542: Mar 01, 2021 01:56:25 pm
      I am still waiting for Thiago to something that would give us a bit of hope. A proper man of the match performance....

Curtis was good, and he has to be brave, he makes the odd mistake, but with his bravery he will open up defences instead of the many sideways passers we have.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #543: Mar 01, 2021 02:36:51 pm

God Help Us

Ha ha who the f**k is this, what the F**k is ‘clever manager’ supposed to mean?

If it indicates a man who has brought home the champions league and league title then I fully agree - a very clever man indeed.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #544: Mar 01, 2021 02:40:57 pm

God Help Us

looks like mmmKlopp changed his handle
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #545: Mar 01, 2021 03:01:23 pm

God Help Us

I thought we had flushed this Brown turd away?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #546: Mar 01, 2021 03:12:29 pm

Only 20 mate and he's shown enough for me that there's a quality CB in there waiting to be developed.

Positives: good aerially for his height, very strong for his age, good recovery pace.

Negatives: ball watches too much, not always positionally aware, rash in the challenge sometimes.

The positives are all natural gifts that a top CB requires. The negatives are due to inexperience and unfamiliarity with our system, which will all be worked on to improve Ozan as a player.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #547: Mar 01, 2021 03:19:15 pm
      Only 20 mate and he's shown enough for me that there's a quality CB in there waiting to be developed.

Positives: good aerially for his height, very strong for his age, good recovery pace.

Negatives: ball watches too much, not always positionally aware, rash in the challenge sometimes.

The positives are all natural gifts that a top CB requires. The negatives are due to inexperience and unfamiliarity with our system, which will all be worked on to improve Ozan as a player.

No I know which is why I dont want to be to critical. Last night however he was up against nothing and still looked wanting. You are on the money about the ball watching by the way

Philips looks far better
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #548: Mar 01, 2021 04:44:12 pm

God Help Us

Get off the brown in your case divvy.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #549: Mar 01, 2021 07:27:05 pm
      I thought we had flushed this Brown turd away?
      Deffo a floater.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #550: Mar 01, 2021 07:32:01 pm
      Straight forward win against a very poor side. Onto the next one.

The big mystery atm, is what is the story about Kelleher? He's said to be "injured", but we don't know what it is, what the extent of it is, or even is it a short or long term job. All we know is that he was reported injured for the City game, then he trained and went to the Leipzig game, then he's injured again. Or maybe he was injured all along. Given how busy the treatment room is atm, it's difficult to keep any injury a secret, but the club seem to be doing a good job of his atm.

We don't know how our season will pan out, but we do know one thing which is always good news for this club. It'll be a while before we're back playing games in Sheffield again.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #551: Mar 01, 2021 07:34:14 pm

He does not have good recovery pace ffs please highlight an example where you have seen this. The boy is slow possibly Rhys Williams levels.

One attribute is his ability on the ball he seems to have good technical ability and isn’t afraid to knock it about.

Quick Reply