Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sheff Utd?

Adrián
      1 (1.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      19 (20.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (3.3%)
      Ozan Kabak
      0 (0%)
      Nat Phillips
      9 (9.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.2%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      2 (2.2%)
      Curtis Jones
      49 (53.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      5 (5.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: Mar 04, 2021 09:05:30 pm

Sheffield United 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15477 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Sheffield United 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Feb 28, 2021 09:29:57 pm
      I'll prolly get crushed for saying this, but in this state I wouldn't mind a draw Thursday. Certainly wanna win, but its about results from here on out. Draws against Chelsea and United aren't the end of the world of we win the games we're supposed to win. Be professional these last 12 games and get into top 4, the re group in the summer. Focus is the key word for the rest of this season

Great start today.

Don’t disagree but the # of games left is starting to get low so these head to head games become more crucial.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: Sheffield United V Liverpool
      Reply #507: Feb 28, 2021 09:36:16 pm
      Robbo with his customary smash into the top stand 😁

Just enough to keep interest strong in JD's contest!  ;D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #508: Feb 28, 2021 09:39:33 pm
      I think we’ve got more chance of beating chavs, as they will play open footy. Don’t see them parking the bus.
      Defence still s bit fragile do Fsb will probably slot in and with Jotta likely to be back for at least a part of the game , we’ll have a bit more bite up top.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #509: Feb 28, 2021 09:41:35 pm
      I'll prolly get crushed for saying this, but in this state I wouldn't mind a draw Thursday. Certainly wanna win, but its about results from here on out. Draws against Chelsea and United aren't the end of the world of we win the games we're supposed to win. Be professional these last 12 games and get into top 4, the re group in the summer. Focus is the key word for the rest of this season

Great start today.

Thing is, I usually go into the Chelsea, Untited games etc more confident than the 'should win' games, so I'd rather get all three because you know theres a high chance against those other teams with 11 players behind the ball, that you could draw.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #510: Feb 28, 2021 09:43:41 pm
      Very good performance from the lads tonight and I feel a bit guilty for half expecting to drop points when I saw the line up. Not getting carried away because sheff United are easily within the top 5 worst prem teams I’ve ever seen, but it’s a step in the right direction nonetheless and we’re back in contention for top four now.

Nothing to say on the game other than it was a solid, professional performance. We could have half a dozen goals and won the game more convincingly if some of our lads had their shooting boots on. In particular Bobby, who missed a 1v1 and then later squared a pass across goal when he had a tap in. The time has come now for us to invest in a top striker but as we know, this would mean a big player of ours going the other way. But that’s another conversation for another day.

Only other criticism I have really is kabak. Yes I know we got a clean sheet and yes I know he’s only been here five minutes but the bloke just looks completely out his depth to me. Just all over the place.

Surprised to see young curtis get motm. Took his goal extremely well and had a fairly decent game too but I thought trent was superb tonight, really really good.

Now bring on those F***ing rent boys.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #511: Feb 28, 2021 09:47:51 pm
      Let’s be honest there was nothing too different in the performance from what we’ve seen the last 4 weeks - dominate possession, create, attempts at goal. The difference tonight was the rub of the green on both ends think it’s time the tide turns and things start going our way.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #512: Feb 28, 2021 09:48:34 pm
      I think we’ve got more chance of beating chavs, as they will play open footy. Don’t see them parking the bus.
      Defence still s bit fragile do Fsb will probably slot in and with Jotta likely to be back for at least a part of the game , we’ll have a bit more bite up top.

Agree Chelsea will come out and play and Bobby will run riot. Should be a cracker.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #513: Feb 28, 2021 09:50:01 pm
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #514: Feb 28, 2021 09:51:06 pm
      Great 3 points a clean sheet and a good performance all round. Just what the doctor ordered.  ;D
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #515: Feb 28, 2021 09:51:38 pm
      Very good performance from the lads tonight and I feel a bit guilty for half expecting to drop points when I saw the line up. Not getting carried away because sheff United are easily within the top 5 worst prem teams I’ve ever seen, but it’s a step in the right direction nonetheless and we’re back in contention for top four now.

Nothing to say on the game other than it was a solid, professional performance. We could have half a dozen goals and won the game more convincingly if some of our lads had their shooting boots on. In particular Bobby, who missed a 1v1 and then later squared a pass across goal when he had a tap in. The time has come now for us to invest in a top striker but as we know, this would mean a big player of ours going the other way. But that’s another conversation for another day.

Only other criticism I have really is kabak. Yes I know we got a clean sheet and yes I know he’s only been here five minutes but the bloke just looks completely out his depth to me. Just all over the place.

Surprised to see young curtis get motm. Took his goal extremely well and had a fairly decent game too but I thought trent was superb tonight, really really good.

Now bring on those f**king rent boys.

Thought Kabak was all at sea on a few occasions and Philips although better of two was suited to the Pub CF Mcbirnie lost him for their best chance . Fab will play CB against Chad's just a question of who with
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #516: Feb 28, 2021 09:58:15 pm
      I’m worried about Kabak to be honest especially against the pace of Chelsea. Don’t want to be on the young lads back but he made a few fundamental positioning errors and in the PL he doesn’t have the pace to recover from them. Would go with Fab and Nat on Thursday.

Shout out to Adrian also to come in to the side in these circumstances and keep a clean sheet.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #517: Feb 28, 2021 10:06:21 pm
      Good on you Curtis dedicating your goal to Ali and his dad. We all love and miss you Ali - God bless you and your family.

Here here.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #518: Feb 28, 2021 10:07:01 pm
      3 points. Clean sheet. Job done.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #519: Feb 28, 2021 10:12:17 pm
      So what are we thinking? Is the proper headline:

1. "Defending Champions Rediscover Mojo and Relaunch Top 4 Push"

or

2. "Not even Out of Form Liverpool can Lose to THIS Sheffield United Team"
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #520: Feb 28, 2021 10:16:42 pm
      Went for Philips MOTM , More than held his own and played well with the young Kabak, Liked our midfield with Curtis and Gini allowed to maraud and wander whilst Thiago held the gap between the front and the centre backs ,Nice  to have Jota back soon to give Mane a rest or Salah , decent performance though from the lads ,bring on the next game !
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #521: Feb 28, 2021 10:18:05 pm
      So what are we thinking? Is the proper headline:

1. "Defending Champions Rediscover Mojo and Relaunch Top 4 Push"

or

2. "Not even Out of Form Liverpool can Lose to THIS Sheffield United Team"

Bit of both I think looked brighter think the weeks rest contributed to that but also thought they were poor . Can only beat whats put in front of you
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #522: Feb 28, 2021 10:26:32 pm
      Let's take this positive into the next game and run with it!

Jones and Trent stand out players for me.

Nice to see Klopp change it up a bit with the formation also.

Well in redmen!
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #523: Feb 28, 2021 10:45:48 pm
      Adrian: 6 - I don’t trust him at all and just the way he moves and dives looks all wrong, but thankfully he didn’t have much to do. He was better in the second half and swept up well on one occasion and dealt with a corner reasonably well.

Trent: 9 - Tremendous performance. His passing was ridiculous. Didn’t have too much to do defensively but he was fine when called into action.

Phillips: 6.5 - I like Phillips but I thought he struggled at times. Got turned a couple of times and it wasn’t his best day.

Kabak: 7 - Shows his naivety at times but made some good recoveries. I like him but I feel he has mistakes in him. He’s a young defender though, so it’s normal. Hopefully he can build on this clean sheet.

Roberson: 7.5 - He attacked well today. He hasn’t been as involved in our attacks over the past few weeks but today he was more involved and did well overall.

Gini: 8 - I thought he did a good job as the holding mid. His running with the ball is very good and he doesn’t do it enough. Solid game.

Jones: 8 - Well taken goal and some really nice touches. He looked good from the first minute.

Thiago: 7 - Not his most influential performance but he was fine. Was generally good on the ball save for one under hit pass when turning, and although he gave away a couple of free kicks, they were good ones to give away.

Salah: 7.5 - Good energy and some good link up play at times. Was unlucky not to score.

Firmino: 7.5 - Played well in general but should have done better with his two chances. Good work for the own goal. Hopefully this gives him a bit more confidence.

Mane: 7.5 - He was a menace. He’s been a bit quiet recently but he looked good today. General play was solid and he did some good work in his own half.

Klopp: 8 - Team selection was no surprise as he didn’t have many options but the performance was much better. He had the correct approaches We started well and I always felt we’d be able to get the goal and win. Our intensity was better and we actually created some good chances today and could have scored more than we did.

Looking at the poll for MOTM, 6.5 for Phillips probably won’t be too popular. I just didn’t think he had his best game, but of course it’s going to be difficult playing with a young defender and playing in front of Adrian. Maybe 6.5 is harsh but it’s my opinion. I was eating during the game so maybe I missed some of his better moments.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #524: Feb 28, 2021 11:18:42 pm
      Better performance tonight, against lowly Sheffield utd. Brilliant strike from Curtis Jones, fully deserving his goal. Defence obviously far from up to scratch with so many changes through injury, although a relief to see a clean sheet. Hope we can carry on against Chelsea, later in the week, which will no doubt provide a sterner test.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #525: Mar 01, 2021 01:39:19 am
      Few takeaways from the game.

1. As much as I try to see what Thiago offers to us I just don't get it.  Doesn't play the ball quickly.  Doesn't close down.  Doesn't win second balls.  Doesn't press.  I'm sure there's a great footballer in there but fully fit squad there's no way he gets in the starting XI.  Having said all that - I'm not sure peak Xabi Alonso would fit in to a Jürgen Klopp team.

2. How interesting that when we play two centre backs in defence we get a clean sheet - even with the Adrian factor.  When Fabinho comes back - he goes in midfield.  A lot of us have been saying it for some time now.  Novelty personally for him 'filling in at CB', and Henderson, has worn off.  Take the sh*t goals we concede and have as much competition as we can up front.

3. I haven't seen Phillips put a foot wrong since for us since he has been playing.  Not sure why he had a spell of being binned off.   Him and Kabak might well be rough diamonds but the age they are they could learn a huge amount, not just now, but when our more senior players do eventually return next season.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Re: Live: Sheffield United V Liverpool
      Reply #526: Mar 01, 2021 03:28:08 am
      Exquisite from Bob, what a goal, just what a goal, from no confidence Bob.
      Love to see it again as I lost count of how many players he beat then.

Oh, snd mmmklopp shove that one up you dirt box you f**king toss pot.

Creaming your pants over an own goal?

He done well to make the space but the shot was dragged

His JOB is to score goals. He's a number 9. Don't give me that "he closes people down" bollox. He needs to score more and it's a simple as that.

You're happy with one goal every 15 games from him, I'm not.

He's missed a sh*t load of chances this year and it's not good enough.

Excellent service from him over the years and no one can take that away but his time as a starting number 9 is up.

Well done lads for the win. I'm not going to start letting off fireworks in celebration because I've been here too many times this season.

I want to see us beat those sh*t heads on Thursday.

Instill some pride back at Anfield. Make the rest fear coming to ours again, come on boys
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2021 11:28:07 am by JD »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #527: Mar 01, 2021 05:32:35 am
      Few takeaways from the game.

1. As much as I try to see what Thiago offers to us I just don't get it.  Doesn't play the ball quickly.  Doesn't close down.  Doesn't win second balls.  Doesn't press.  I'm sure there's a great footballer in there but fully fit squad there's no way he gets in the starting XI.  Having said all that - I'm not sure peak Xabi Alonso would fit in to a Jürgen Klopp team.

2. How interesting that when we play two centre backs in defence we get a clean sheet - even with the Adrian factor.  When Fabinho comes back - he goes in midfield.  A lot of us have been saying it for some time now.  Novelty personally for him 'filling in at CB', and Henderson, has worn off.  Take the sh*t goals we concede and have as much competition as we can up front.

3. I haven't seen Phillips put a foot wrong since for us since he has been playing.  Not sure why he had a spell of being binned off.   Him and Kabak might well be rough diamonds but the age they are they could learn a huge amount, not just now, but when our more senior players do eventually return next season.

Funny how people see football differently. 

Thiago has had a couple of poor games of late by his usual standards but I thought he was fine in this game. Most of the things you’ve said he doesn’t do I find that he actually does do too. I’ve been rather surprised (and at times frustrated) with how feisty he is. I’ve watched him for years and it’s a side to his game I’ve never really noticed until now.

We kept a clean sheet against Sheffield United who have only managed 15 goals all season and they’ve played 26 games. They’re arguably the worst top flight team I’ve ever seen. They’re terrible, particularly in the final third. So I wouldn’t describe us keeping a clean sheet as interesting myself.

And even Sheffield United had two goals disallowed, a couple of half chances and kabak was dragged all over the place, again.

In his defence he made a couple of decent recoveries but he certainly doesn’t fill me with confidence and I have a bad feeling he will have a torrid time against Chelsea depending on who they start upfront. 

Agree on Phillips though. He made a big mistake against Everton (turned ridiculously easy near the half way) that led to their penalty but in general he’s played very well for us.

But as a two they weren’t tested properly tonight. Let’s see how they get on after playing 4 or 5 games against better opposition. I saw some stats the other day of when Fabinho has ‘filled in at cb’ and they’re actually very good. Him and matip were solid. There is no doubt we’ve missed him in the midfield but when fab is back it’s still a no brainer for me, he plays at centre half next to Phillips.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #528: Mar 01, 2021 06:20:08 am
      Good to get a win but kabak is a liability he is all over the place, don’t know how bad the Preston lad is if he can’t get a go in front of him.

Quick Reply