Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

World cup 2030 bid

Read 2969 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      World cup 2030 bid
      Mar 03, 2021 02:13:07 pm
      Whats the feeling on this?

Firstly Ill state that I will be shocked if this is not held in Uruguay 100 years after the first world cup.

In saying that I think England is well overdue hosting it again. But I fail to see why adding in Scotland Wales Northern Ireland and ourselves is of any benefit.

England surely has enough stadia in enough different cities with a 40 thousand ir more capacity.

We for example have one. Yet here in Dublin we remain the only capital city with no direct rail connection to the city centre from the airport.

The North has nothing close to fit for purpose

Scotland has 4 with 3 all in the one city and Wales obviously has the Millenium.

England alone or England with Wales and or Scotland Id get but this 5 countries seems far reaching
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: World cup 2030 bid
      Reply #1: Mar 03, 2021 05:51:44 pm
      Would Uruguay alone have enough stadia to host a world cup alone? Particularly since it is going to be expanded to more teams. I imagine FIFA requires certain # of stadia with certain capacity to be able to host? Seems regional world cup locations is the latest flavor as 2026 is split amongst US, Mexico and Canada, though the bulk of the games are in the US. so England, Wales and Scotland would probably be a popular choice.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2: Mar 03, 2021 06:21:54 pm
      Would Uruguay alone have enough stadia to host a world cup alone? Particularly since it is going to be expanded to more teams. I imagine FIFA requires certain # of stadia with certain capacity to be able to host? Seems regional world cup locations is the latest flavor as 2026 is split amongst US, Mexico and Canada, though the bulk of the games are in the US. so England, Wales and Scotland would probably be a popular choice.

Think they are going in with Argentina
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #3: Mar 03, 2021 06:59:37 pm
      Would be nice to see Dublin, Glasgow and Edinburgh host World Cup football along with the countless world class stadia in England.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #4: Mar 03, 2021 07:28:11 pm
      Do think it is time for the World Cup to return here. Bit ridiculous that Mexico, Germany and US will have hosted it twice (Mexico arguably 3 times) before England could get it again .
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #5: Mar 03, 2021 08:54:09 pm
      Do think it is time for the World Cup to return here. Bit ridiculous that Mexico, Germany and US will have hosted it twice (Mexico arguably 3 times) before England could get it again .

There are more countries in Europe to compete with as host nations than in North America, though. Since England hosted in '66 Europe has hosted the WC 6 times, that is twice as much as the 2nd highest (North America).
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #6: Mar 04, 2021 12:56:29 pm
      Just hope it's staged somewhere that isn't a backwards state where basic human rights aren't outlawed, unlike the upcoming tournament
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Mar 04, 2021 01:02:23 pm
      Just hope it's staged somewhere that isn't a backwards state where basic human rights aren't outlawed, unlike the upcoming tournament

Rules us out so!!

I jest 😉
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8: Mar 04, 2021 05:12:35 pm

New Zealand it is then as all other countries from east to west have flaws in their human rights records..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8460 
      Reply #9: Mar 04, 2021 05:28:43 pm
      New Zealand it is then as all other countries from east to west have flaws in their human rights records..

To be fair I can't see many hosting countries having anywhere near 6,500 deaths of workers working on the infrastructure.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #10: Mar 04, 2021 06:20:30 pm
      To be fair I can't see many hosting countries having anywhere near 6,500 deaths of workers working on the infrastructure.

So it’s a health & safety issue & not a human rights issue then..?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #11: Mar 04, 2021 07:25:13 pm

Every country has its flaws. But in my post I stated "basic human rights", such as the right to not be thrown in prison for your sexuality. Britain is far from perfect but the Wahhabi states in the gulf are far worse

Certainly a human rights issue. Many of the workers are south asian migrants who have been exploited

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #12: Mar 04, 2021 07:39:48 pm
      Every country has its flaws. But in my post I stated "basic human rights", such as the right to not be thrown in prison for your sexuality. Britain is far from perfect but the Wahhabi states in the gulf are far worse

Certainly a human rights issue. Many of the workers are south asian migrants who have been exploited

Got more chance of being thrown into jail or getting chopped up in an embassy for being a vocal critic of the regime than your sexuality...& on the exploitation of workers, it’s a shame it takes the World Cup for the spotlight to be shone on such practices...

Workers in the Far East have been exploited for decades  by western capitalism...

Adidas we’re having products produced by the Ughyir Muslims held in Chinese concentration camps, most of our tech comes from China..I don’t see calls for boycotts..

It’s coming across as double standards that Qatar are holding the World Cup, the day they got the vote the smear campaign started against it..

Give them a chance to reform, hopefully the WC will just do that..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8460 
      Reply #13: Mar 05, 2021 01:50:14 am

Probably both, but that figure is F***ing shocking.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14: Mar 05, 2021 11:48:01 am
      Probably both, but that figure is f**king shocking.

Absolutely & they need to be called to account for it, it’s such a shame it’s taken the WC to highlight the plight of immigrant workers in the Gulf states.

Quick Reply