Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Alisson Becker
      11 (19.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.8%)
      Ozan Kabak
      5 (8.8%)
       Fabinho
      4 (7%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (8.8%)
      Curtis Jones
      5 (8.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      5 (8.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      6 (10.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      3 (5.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      4 (7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (3.5%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.8%)
      Diogo Jota
      4 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: Mar 08, 2021 10:06:32 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 31533 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #851: Mar 07, 2021 10:55:56 am
      Quote from HScRed1
      There is nothing professional about a opposition player basically standing there taking the piss out of one of your mates.
      It might well have fired a few of them up to do something, the very least Kovacic deserved was in the next play someone leaving a late one on him and taking a yellow.
      That’s team unity, the fight and passion which is all missing at the moment.

Tbh, we've far bigger issues to sort than that. We've not had one player sent off in over 2 years, in any competition. In an era where you can be dismissed for a toenail out of place, it's one of the few records we can still be proud of. Some say it's a lack of fight, I say it's keeping our discipline, not to react to  provocation.

The game went as I expected it to. For the first time in years, I went into a game expecting us to lose at home and sure enough we lost. I just felt with all the issues going on atm, the performance would be dull, which it was, and that they would carve us up at will, which they did.

After the last home defeat, I described the rest of the season as "dead". There is nothing left of it to look forward to. This team atm, is not going to win the European Cup, and I think even Jürgen realises that. From the last line of defence to the frontline, the spine of the team has been decimated by injury, while the ones who are still fit to play feel sorry for themselves and pack it in at the first sign of a setback. Mentality Mice. There are better teams out there who play better, more effective football atm, and many have players who will have a field day against that defence and a keeper whose head is somewhere else. Another 2 howlers from him. One was stumbling over the ball Gerrard style in the first couple of minutes, and the other was the disallowed goal. Thankfully VAR bailed him out, but this is not the first instance involving him this season or even this year, and in Europe it will be ruthlessly punished. Yes we know about his father and that's terrible, but he made himself available and declared himself fit to play. While physically that may be the case, mentally though it's obviously a different story.

The current form is a blast from the lowest of the Rafa-Rodgers-Houllier eras. Houllier once didn't win a home league game for 4 months, and I thought it could never be that bad again. Well we're now nearly 3 months in, and we're 2 home games away from it being matched. With no glamour home games left to play, hopefully the worst of the homesickness is now over, but with the way we're playing atm, nothing is guaranteed.

We have 11 league games left to fulfil. Hopefully VVD will be back next month, then maybe we can finish the season with some degree of respectability. Tbh, I barely care whether we finish top 4 or not. Having finally won the league, fighting just to make top 4 is no consolation, even arguably a failure. Fulfil the fixtures, repair the spine of the team, then get ready for next season. I trust that when sanity is restored, Jürgen will bring this club back where it belongs. He's already done it once, and there is not a single other man I would want to get us motoring again.

I just hope that in the event we don't make it, that shower across the pond don't haul him up to explain why the season hasn't quite gone to plan. We're not a football club to them, we're merely a cash cow. It's clearly dried up this year, so they'll want answers in the summer. We eat drink and sleep the club and we know what needs to be done, but after what they did to Dalglish and Rodgers, I don't trust them to even know what's going on, let alone how we put it right. They may be clueless but they are ruthless and we know from past experience, that somebody's head is going to roll for it. We don't know who it will be, but all we can do is pray it's not Jürgen. The last thing we need now is another 4-5 years wasted, trying to get back to where we want to be.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #852: Mar 07, 2021 11:46:39 am
      Well that was sh1te. Got to win today, got too.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #853: Mar 07, 2021 11:46:49 am
      Tbh, we've far bigger issues to sort than that. We've not had one player sent off in over 2 years, in any competition. In an era where you can be dismissed for a toenail out of place, it's one of the few records we can still be proud of. Some say it's a lack of fight, I say it's keeping our discipline, not to react to  provocation.

The game went as I expected it to. For the first time in years, I went into a game expecting us to lose at home and sure enough we lost. I just felt with all the issues going on atm, the performance would be dull, which it was, and that they would carve us up at will, which they did.

After the last home defeat, I described the rest of the season as "dead". There is nothing left of it to look forward to. This team atm, is not going to win the European Cup, and I think even Jürgen realises that. From the last line of defence to the frontline, the spine of the team has been decimated by injury, while the ones who are still fit to play feel sorry for themselves and pack it in at the first sign of a setback. Mentality Mice. There are better teams out there who play better, more effective football atm, and many have players who will have a field day against that defence and a keeper whose head is somewhere else. Another 2 howlers from him. One was stumbling over the ball Gerrard style in the first couple of minutes, and the other was the disallowed goal. Thankfully VAR bailed him out, but this is not the first instance involving him this season or even this year, and in Europe it will be ruthlessly punished. Yes we know about his father and that's terrible, but he made himself available and declared himself fit to play. While physically that may be the case, mentally though it's obviously a different story.

The current form is a blast from the lowest of the Rafa-Rodgers-Houllier eras. Houllier once didn't win a home league game for 4 months, and I thought it could never be that bad again. Well we're now nearly 3 months in, and we're 2 home games away from it being matched. With no glamour home games left to play, hopefully the worst of the homesickness is now over, but with the way we're playing atm, nothing is guaranteed.

We have 11 league games left to fulfil. Hopefully VVD will be back next month, then maybe we can finish the season with some degree of respectability. Tbh, I barely care whether we finish top 4 or not. Having finally won the league, fighting just to make top 4 is no consolation, even arguably a failure. Fulfil the fixtures, repair the spine of the team, then get ready for next season. I trust that when sanity is restored, Jürgen will bring this club back where it belongs. He's already done it once, and there is not a single other man I would want to get us motoring again.

I just hope that in the event we don't make it, that shower across the pond don't haul him up to explain why the season hasn't quite gone to plan. We're not a football club to them, we're merely a cash cow. It's clearly dried up this year, so they'll want answers in the summer. We eat drink and sleep the club and we know what needs to be done, but after what they did to Dalglish and Rodgers, I don't trust them to even know what's going on, let alone how we put it right. They may be clueless but they are ruthless and we know from past experience, that somebody's head is going to roll for it. We don't know who it will be, but all we can do is pray it's not Jürgen. The last thing we need now is another 4-5 years wasted, trying to get back to where we want to be.

Throw your CV in la, you seem to know more than Jürgen, Brendan, Rafa and Houllier combined!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #854: Mar 07, 2021 12:18:05 pm

The professionalism under klopp has been unbelievably good. I didn’t realise we hadn’t had anybody sent off for that long, clearly Klopp doesn’t stand for it.

The performance went as I expected too. They’re full strength, full of confidence and have the momentum right now and we look shattered, nervous and we’re struggling to put a side out.

The reason I’m replying to your post is for this next part though. Your criticism of Alisson is well over the top. Two howlers? He took his eye off a pass and let the ball roll under his foot. It didn’t lead to anything and we weren’t in any danger, it’s hardly a howler. It was a very brief lapse of concentration and it happens all over the pitch. But if Robbo took his eye off a pass and the ball went out for a throw I doubt you’d be saying he made a howler.

Then for the disallowed goal. How can you say alisson had a howler there? Robbo plays their attack on side and they’re through on goal. In that situation it’s like a penalty. You fully expect them to score and anything the keeper does is just a massive bonus. You’re on a different planet if you presume alisson is the favourite in that situation.

The thing with goalies is, whenever they make a mistake then 99.9% of the time it leads to a goal. So it’s easy to remember or highlight which is why you’re referring to past times. But there’s nothing wrong with Ali at all and I’d even say he had a decent game against Chelsea.

Regarding the top four. Teams objectives change throughout the season. Look at man United. Their target at the start of the season would have been top four but mid way through the season they had a realistic shot at the title so their objective changes.  Same with Leicester. Their target would have been a Europa league place but now if they don’t secure champions league football then they’ve failed miserably. Evertons would have been a Europa league finish too. But now with the position they’re in I think they have to say top four is their target.

So with us, at the start of the season our target was clearly win the league again. That became impossible with all the circumstances. Our objective then changed to a top four finish and if we somehow manage that then I actually think it’s been a brilliant season for us and certainly not a failure. It’s been ugly to watch, very frustrating, but considering everything then it would be a very good achievement.

Three senior cbs out for the season, so you remove the engine from your midfield to fill in those positions and then they also have lengthy time out, the owners not backing you properly even though you’ve asked for replacements, other key players injured, players off form, no crowd, awful decisions going against us and plenty of sh*t going on away from the pitch too. F**k me, top four would be excellent actually.

I very much doubt the owners would go after klopp. I agree they were ruthless with Kenny and brendan but they obviously didn’t bring the success Jürgen did and the club didn’t generate the same sort of money as it does now. If they did go after Jürgen then they’d be digging their own grave because I guarantee the kop would go after them immediately.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #855: Mar 07, 2021 12:23:11 pm
      I very much doubt the owners would go after klopp. I agree they were ruthless with Kenny and brendan but they obviously didn’t bring the success Jürgen did and the club didn’t generate the same sort of money as it does now. If they did go after Jürgen then they’d be digging their own grave because I guarantee the kop would go after them immediately.

Kenny was jettisoned after winning our first trophy for how many years all because the yanks wanted a younger coach!

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #856: Mar 07, 2021 12:33:35 pm
      Kenny was jettisoned after winning our first trophy for how many years all because the yanks wanted a younger coach!

To be fair though lad can’t compare a league cup to a CL and a title.

I think at the time with Kenny the fans were split down the middle from memory.

Would be outrage if they binned klopp though.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #857: Mar 07, 2021 12:36:04 pm
      To be fair though lad can’t compare a league cup to a CL and a title.

I think at the time with Kenny the fans were split down the middle from memory.

Would be outrage if they binned klopp though.

Majority were pissed off at the manner in which it was done, hence all the arse-kissing from them with the stand name!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #858: Mar 07, 2021 12:44:21 pm
      Majority were pissed off at the manner in which it was done, hence all the arse-kissing from them with the stand name!!

Yeah didn’t they fly him out there just to sack him? I can remember everyone fuming at the time. Yeah they gave him a job upstairs too didn't they I think.

In general from my memory it was still split down the middle with the fans though  whether Kenny should have gone or not and if it wasn’t for the emotional connection involved I think more would have wanted him to go too.

With Jürgen, I can’t even imagine them sacking him and I find it hard to believe any red being in favour of that decision. Fans would turn on them massively and I don’t think they’re that popular as it is.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #859: Mar 07, 2021 08:09:24 pm
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      The professionalism under klopp has been unbelievably good. I didn’t realise we hadn’t had anybody sent off for that long, clearly Klopp doesn’t stand for it.

The performance went as I expected too. They’re full strength, full of confidence and have the momentum right now and we look shattered, nervous and we’re struggling to put a side out.

The reason I’m replying to your post is for this next part though. Your criticism of Alisson is well over the top. Two howlers? He took his eye off a pass and let the ball roll under his foot. It didn’t lead to anything and we weren’t in any danger, it’s hardly a howler. It was a very brief lapse of concentration and it happens all over the pitch. But if Robbo took his eye off a pass and the ball went out for a throw I doubt you’d be saying he made a howler.

Then for the disallowed goal. How can you say alisson had a howler there? Robbo plays their attack on side and they’re through on goal. In that situation it’s like a penalty. You fully expect them to score and anything the keeper does is just a massive bonus. You’re on a different planet if you presume alisson is the favourite in that situation.

The thing with goalies is, whenever they make a mistake then 99.9% of the time it leads to a goal. So it’s easy to remember or highlight which is why you’re referring to past times. But there’s nothing wrong with Ali at all and I’d even say he had a decent game against Chelsea.

Regarding the top four. Teams objectives change throughout the season. Look at man United. Their target at the start of the season would have been top four but mid way through the season they had a realistic shot at the title so their objective changes.  Same with Leicester. Their target would have been a Europa league place but now if they don’t secure champions league football then they’ve failed miserably. Evertons would have been a Europa league finish too. But now with the position they’re in I think they have to say top four is their target.

So with us, at the start of the season our target was clearly win the league again. That became impossible with all the circumstances. Our objective then changed to a top four finish and if we somehow manage that then I actually think it’s been a brilliant season for us and certainly not a failure. It’s been ugly to watch, very frustrating, but considering everything then it would be a very good achievement.

Three senior cbs out for the season, so you remove the engine from your midfield to fill in those positions and then they also have lengthy time out, the owners not backing you properly even though you’ve asked for replacements, other key players injured, players off form, no crowd, awful decisions going against us and plenty of sh*t going on away from the pitch too. F**k me, top four would be excellent actually.

Robbo last made a massive mistake 6 months ago, and he rightly took the stick for it. Sadly, Alisson has made mistakes in most of his last 6 games, some of them more high profile than others. It's not a one off, it's a regular occurrence atm. This is top level football, you can't take your eye off the ball, the margin for error is slim, so when you make mistakes, things happen.

If Alisson decides to come that far out for that ball, then he has to win it, and if he doesn't then it's another error of judgement I'm afraid. As it happened however, the forward got a 1mm advantage when the ball was played, which meant he got to the ball 1 second before Alisson, then 1 second before Kabak. But because of his 1mm advantage, thankfully it didn't count.

We set out at the start of the year to win No. 20. Even at Christmas, it was still our No. 1 target. It wasn't to be looking over our shoulders at what the West Hams and the Aston Villas and the Leicesters are doing. We're the league champions, we're supposed to be a level above them with different targets. We're not the only club with injuries, we're certainly not the only club to play with no fans, there's a lot of average teams around where we are atm, and we should be aiming for more than finishing in the top 4. It is a minimum target, not a goal.

But if we don't make it, FSG will come after someone, because they're American owners where cash is king. They're here to make a profit, and they'll want to know why after 80mn spent last summer, after the new training ground, the defensive reinforcements in January, and 6 points clear at Christmas, why there's no pot of gold waiting for them next year? Somebody is going to have to answer those questions and somebody is then going to find themselves out of a job. It's not David Moores they're dealing with.

Quick Reply