Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

You and Liverpool: Why?

Read 5927 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      You and Liverpool: Why?
      Mar 09, 2021 11:17:50 am
      As a bit of a discussion is going on in a match thread thought no harm having a topic on it..

Why or how did you come to support Liverpool? Scousers can answer to as you coukd have easily have gone with Marine or Southport 😉
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Re: You and Liverpool: Why?
      Reply #1: Mar 09, 2021 11:27:23 am
      Born in Chester  ;)

Two uncles

One a bluenose

The other a Liverpool fan - my mum had to go to Ireland quickly whilst my dad was away whilst I was 6 - the bluenose uncle who was my fav couldnt look after me as he was in London for the weekend watching Everton

So my miserable Uncle who supported Liverpool had to take me ( owned my mum
      Money  :lmao:) - he took me to a game , he and I loved it and I spent the next decade plus going every weekend with until Hillsborough- he hasn’t been to a game since  :(

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2: Mar 09, 2021 11:33:40 am
      Born and raised County Down.

Two uncles on Mum's side Liverpool all their life and I guess it filtered to me through my Mum.

Over here in the 80's it pretty much was one of us, Everton, United, Arsenal and Spurs people took to.

Have a good friend who's a Blue, two cousins Spurs fans.
      « Last Edit: Mar 09, 2021 06:46:39 pm by srslfc »
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #3: Mar 09, 2021 11:44:14 am
      Well I've just had my 60th birthday and I started supporting the Reds when watching the infamous 1971 FA Cup Final v Arsenal on TV, also my dad worked on the railway with Liverpool lads and fans so it wasn't hard, enjoyed the ride since most notably the 1977 European Cup win v Borussia, absolutely awesome as a 16 year old that, and all the downs of the 1990s not so good too!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Mar 09, 2021 11:57:15 am
      Bit of a mixed bag over here. Lot of fans follow clubs due to connections with Irish players  for example a lot of people in their 60s follow Leeds because of Giles. Huge utd fanbase but Id guess were the majority, certainly most vocal and psssionate in pubs etc.

Personally my da always said its down to him. He loved everything about the club back in the 70s, how we played and how we operated off the pitch..Had we not won a thing he would have pushed me towards the club for those 2 reasons.

My earliest memory is aroumd 82, probably the league cup final v Spurs. Watching this thing on the telly and remembering nothing other then an all red kit that grabbed my attention. Not long after I had my favourite kit ever, the all yellow crown paints with the red stripes down it. Game set and match

First time I ever set foot in Liverpool then was the final piece, not that it was needed..Everything about the place and its people just fitted for me perfectly. Hard to sum up actually how I feel about it

Love the club and love the city
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #5: Mar 09, 2021 12:28:31 pm
      My mums side are all blues. She has three brothers who all follow that sh*te home and away, plus my cousin went too who I was very close with and idolised growing up. They were desperate to take me with them too.

At that time, my cousin who is a little bit older than me, had an Everton kit and wore it everywhere he went and I was jealous and wanted a footy kit too, to be like him.

So my dad, who is a massive red, was in a panic because he worked shifts back then and couldn’t take me the match. He was worried my uncles would take me and I’d become a blue. So he said that he would buy me a football kit under one condition, it had to be a Liverpool one, which I agreed because I was just desperate for a footy kit. Any kit.

So my dad buys me the Liverpool kit which I proudly wore to my Nan’s house the next day to show all my uncles and cousin, and then a few weeks later my dad took me to my first ever Liverpool match which was a league cup game at Anfield (a night game too which is much more exciting for a five year old) against Fulham. We won 5-0 and Fowler scored all five. I fell in love with Liverpool properly from that day on and Fowler has been my hero since and still is to this day.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6: Mar 09, 2021 12:29:59 pm
      Had no particular interest in club football until I was invited up to a hospitality event by Carlsberg in mid 90's, fell in love with the club instantly.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: Mar 09, 2021 12:30:11 pm
      Moved from Motherwell to notts during 1978/79 ( I think), I was 6 yrs old, started watching footi on tv with my dad, discovered the King kenny playing for Liverpool and winning everything, with all these other brilliant scottish players. Also wankers at school all supported forest, they were all little scumbags, so I wasnt supporting forest.

Came back to scotland 5 years later, still follow the mighty reds on TV, hardly miss a game ever.
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #8: Mar 09, 2021 12:31:11 pm
      As I said in the other thread, I have no idea why I chose Liverpool. All I remember is my Dad was a musician and not into football so my Gran took me into town when I was 4 and told me to choose a team. There were ribbons of all the clubs and my eyes were drawn to the Liverbird, so she bought me it and I stuck it on my door and it was my team for life. Think it was 85 so I had to endure a terrible time in school in the 90's with all the Manure supporters. Main teams people supported in Belfast in those days were Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs. Then when you get older, go to Liverpool, feel the city, meet more and more supporters, embrace the music, you then understand that it's more than a football club. I know it sounds cliche but even in one of the Boss nights with my brother, we were saying there is no other club like this in the world and it goes beyond football. Sorry for the long post but just felt like expressing what it means even though I'm not from the city.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #9: Mar 09, 2021 12:46:17 pm
      Started supporting Liverpool around 7 or 8. No other Pool supporters in my family all Arsenal god love them. Earliest memory is watching Pool v Mancs game on BBC at my cousins house. I can still remember as it was my first experience of that all encompassing excitement and atmosphere of a footy game. King Kenny came off the bench it was towards the end of his player/manager career, and I still recall the impression it made on me when he ran on to the pitch. He just had this special aura about him, and the fans went nuts it was incredible. That's when I knew Liverpool was the one and only football club for me.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: Mar 09, 2021 01:41:00 pm
      ps. My middle brother and some cousins from notts all copied me and started supporting the Reds. ;-)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #11: Mar 09, 2021 01:47:16 pm
      As you might imagine, growing up in the states, I wasn't really even exposed to "soccer" that much. Especially growing up in the redneck area of southeastern Ohio where I did. There were three sports, football (American), baseball and basketball. It wasn't until I went to college that I was exposed to soccer. I lived with some guys that played for the college. So started watching their games,  started learning about the game (the one guy was a hardcore Juventus fan being Italian). Found that I really loved the sport, started playing a little bit, but the Premier League wasn't even on my radar. It wasn't till years after when I did some overseas travel that I was able to catch some Champion's League games on television. I was instantly drawn to Torres and Gerrard and the all red Carlsberg kit. So I can't say that there was any necessary connection to the history of the club or anything like that. It was all happenstance I guess. But better than somehow becoming a United fan I suppose.

I've taken many a Google Maps street view adventure around the city...hoping I get to visit some day.
      +10
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #12: Mar 09, 2021 02:08:00 pm
      As you might imagine, growing up in the states, I wasn't really even exposed to "soccer" that much. Especially growing up in the redneck area of southeastern Ohio where I did. There were three sports, football (American), baseball and basketball. It wasn't until I went to college that I was exposed to soccer. I lived with some guys that played for the college. So started watching their games,  started learning about the game (the one guy was a hardcore Juventus fan being Italian). Found that I really loved the sport, started playing a little bit, but the Premier League wasn't even on my radar. It wasn't till years after when I did some overseas travel that I was able to catch some Champion's League games on television. I was instantly drawn to Torres and Gerrard and the all red Carlsberg kit. So I can't say that there was any necessary connection to the history of the club or anything like that. It was all happenstance I guess. But better than somehow becoming a United fan I suppose.

I've taken many a Google Maps street view adventure around the city...hoping I get to visit some day.

I've got a similar story to FL.  Growing up in rural southern Indiana, we didn't have access to soccer on tv or even the internet in those days (early 90's).  Soccer was really just something parents signed their kids up for when they were 5 or 6 years old to get them to run around and be active.  I played every sport (baseball, basketball, football, and soccer) all through my youth.  Around the age of 12, I lost interest in both baseball and American football and focused on soccer and basketball.  This is where Liverpool came into the picture.  It was the summer of 98 and I was on summer break.  For the first time in my life, soccer was on the tele -- World Cup 98.  I fell in love!!  I was immediately drawn to Michael Owen.  I begged my mom to buy me a soccer video game for the N64 -- it was Fifa 99.  I started playing as Liverpool because I wanted to be Michael Owen.  I started looking for Michael Owen and Liverpool info online (the internet was just becoming main stream and accessible in my area).  I carried on in this manner for a few years, and then for my 16th birthday I asked my parents for a cable subscription to Fox Sports Network -- the only channel we had access to that showed a significant amount of footie.  This was circa 2002 and I got to actually watch LFC highlights and experience some of the success under Houllier and then the transition to Rafa.  When Owen left for Madrid, my heart stayed in Liverpool.  Stevie became my new hero and I never looked back. 

Cheers to Brian - this is a nice fun thread and much needed right now. 
      HuytonRed
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts | 14 
      Reply #13: Mar 09, 2021 02:13:16 pm
      Born and raised in Huyton.  Both parents Liverpool supporters, and my Dad a regular on the Kop.  I have vague memories of him going to the '74 Cup Final, but clear memories of sitting by the radio in '76 when he went to Wolves where we needed to win or get a low-scoring draw to win the league in the last game of the season.  Wolves needed a win to stay up, and were achieving this until 15 minutes from time.  3 late LFC goals signaled the start of a sustained period of success.  By the next season I was following more closely, and went to my first game early 1978.
      I now have 4 LFC-loving sons (and 2 LFC-aware daughters!) - and seeing us win the league again with them last year (from afar - living in USA now) was fantastic.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #14: Mar 09, 2021 03:21:30 pm
      My mums side are all blues. She has three brothers who all follow that sh*te home and away, plus my cousin went too who I was very close with and idolised growing up. They were desperate to take me with them too.

At that time, my cousin who is a little bit older than me, had an Everton kit and wore it everywhere he went and I was jealous and wanted a footy kit too, to be like him.

So my dad, who is a massive red, was in a panic because he worked shifts back then and couldn’t take me the match. He was worried my uncles would take me and I’d become a blue. So he said that he would buy me a football kit under one condition, it had to be a Liverpool one, which I agreed because I was just desperate for a footy kit. Any kit.

So my dad buys me the Liverpool kit which I proudly wore to my Nan’s house the next day to show all my uncles and cousin, and then a few weeks later my dad took me to my first ever Liverpool match which was a league cup game at Anfield (a night game too which is much more exciting for a five year old) against Fulham. We won 5-0 and Fowler scored all five. I fell in love with Liverpool properly from that day on and Fowler has been my hero since and still is to this day.

And I was obviously going to make sure my little lad grew up a red too. Here we are at wembley in 2019 for the community shield game v City in our si senor tops! My dad took this photo too, three generations together, what footballs all about.
      +10
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Mar 09, 2021 03:47:20 pm

And I was obviously going to make sure my little lad grew up a red too. Here we are at wembley in 2019 for the community shield game v City in our si senor tops! My dad took this photo too, three generations together, what footballs all about.

Nice photo.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #16: Mar 09, 2021 03:48:51 pm
      My family originate from Wirral, although I’ve always lived south. Since I was a young kid, 4 or 5 years of age, I’ve followed the reds and clearly remember us losing Keegan but signing Kenny. Unbelievable. Had an uncle that used to take me to games occasionally, even though he wasn’t one of us. Throughout my adult life, for one reason or other, I haven’t been to Anfield as many times as I would have wanted, but still go with my eldest daughter every now and again. We love the atmosphere in the ground and the vibe in the city is just different to everywhere else, from people in the street, to cabbies. Just the salt of the earth really.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #17: Mar 09, 2021 03:56:37 pm

Interesting on the family split red/blue - do you think that's more or less common nowadays?

I was born in London, but my dad's side of the family are Liverpudlians. My grandad grew up in bowscale road, though by the time my dad had been born they'd jumped over the Mersey and settled in Birkenhead. My dad moved to London, met my mum and I grew up here. Like a few others though my family are split red and blue, with my dad unfortunately a blue. Luckily for me my grandad and uncle both swayed me with a Liverpool shirt and bed covers with Redknapp, Macca, Collymore and others plastered over them. My grandad passed some months after Madrid, and I was gutted he didn't live long enough to see us finally cross the line and lift the league again, but it makes me happy he left this legacy of supporting the reds to me, and I'll cherish the memory I have of us finally getting to visit Anfield together many years ago.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Mar 09, 2021 04:07:13 pm
      Born N bred in a skidmark town called Johnstone 12 miles from Glasgow, surrounded by Neanderthal Rangers and Celtic fuckwits and their sectarian religious bullshit, from aged 6 or 7 got taken to ibrox and like any kid was really excited to be at any live football, of course as I got older i realised what songs were sung and who it was aimed at, this was early 70’s and the height of the troubles in Ireland, I went to a different school to that of a lot of my mates, so quickly learned how to behave in that kind of environment, a environment I hated if I’m totally honest, I would play football with these lads probably most days after school but come the weekend go to ibrox, it was madness, how can I go to a game of football and sing sectarian bigoted songs, then play football with those the songs were targeted at ?

In the end I made a decision that didn’t best please some of those I hung with, this was 1976 and motd would show English football, we had sport scene in Scotland, I was immediately attracted to Liverpool because one, I liked the all Red kit, and two one of my good mates suggested we draw lots to see which team to support, we did it twice, firstly all the Scottish teams except Rangers & Celtic, then all the then English first division teams,

I drew out Partick Thistle, or Partick nil as they are sometimes called, you can stop laughing now, and then unbelievably I drew out Liverpool, and the rest as they say is history, talk about fate, i came down South in ‘82’ and within a few weeks became part of a LFC supporter club, and then became a regular kopite for the next ten years, sometimes the Paddock,

There is definitely something special about you Scousers, apart from the fact you are all f***in nutters, we Weegies are of a similar background and probably why we have such an affinity, we are basically the same except you lot talk dead funny 😄 , but I love the bones of ye.

Scots N Scouse with a tinge of Irish, Nothing Better !

Y  N  W  A

DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #19: Mar 09, 2021 04:09:42 pm
      No idea. Too young to remember - can't even pinpoint the age I started. No doubt Liverpool were winning trophies at the time  :f_whistle:
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #20: Mar 09, 2021 04:17:25 pm
      Great topic btw, nice to escape from the other stuff that happens elsewhere in this forum. We all have a common interest here and although it’s fun to argue (sometimes), it’s also very nice to come into a thread with none...
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #21: Mar 09, 2021 05:11:01 pm
      Born and raised in Huyton.  Both parents Liverpool supporters, and my Dad a regular on the Kop.  I have vague memories of him going to the '74 Cup Final, but clear memories of sitting by the radio in '76 when he went to Wolves where we needed to win or get a low-scoring draw to win the league in the last game of the season.  Wolves needed a win to stay up, and were achieving this until 15 minutes from time.  3 late LFC goals signaled the start of a sustained period of success.  By the next season I was following more closely, and went to my first game early 1978.
      I now have 4 LFC-loving sons (and 2 LFC-aware daughters!) - and seeing us win the league again with them last year (from afar - living in USA now) was fantastic.

This is like Sicilians and the mafia. You're a made lad!
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | 15 
      Reply #22: Mar 09, 2021 05:18:29 pm
      Funnily enough mine was after the Luis Garcia ghost goal in the semi finals against Chelsea. What happened after that well.... was quite unfortunate though in that my high school years we were garbage :(, Utd were the dominant team and there fanbase was intolerable. I skipped many monday mornings, wouldnt mind I went to school in the west midlands and a high proportion supported WBA. They were doing the double over us back then. Feckin odemwingie ;D

Quick Reply