Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

You and Liverpool: Why?

Read 5923 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: You and Liverpool: Why?
      Reply #23: Mar 09, 2021 05:43:50 pm
      First game I remember was the 1978 European cup final. I was six, the next few years I was dragged around to watch local teams to satisfy my love of football. Then one day in the late 80's I was given a birthday present to watch the reds at spurs. Then early 90's my dear old dad came home from work and said he met someone in the local liverpool supporters club and could get tickets for home games especially. The rest is history
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #24: Mar 09, 2021 05:55:07 pm
      What a timely thread to start, Brian, bringing us together at a time when people on other threads are at each other's throats.

I grew up in an Irish family living in Lincoln of all places, we took a lot of stick from bigots I remember.  My dad took me to see Lincoln City a few times when I was 5 or 6 in the early 70s, and I recall some blokes refusing to allow me to sit on the wall by the pitch, and my dad getting into a push n shove with one of them, lots of scrapping, spitting, pissing and swearing on the terraces around me, lots of flying bog-roll and some hooligans tipping over all of the sky-blue 'invalid carriages' that the old fellas sat in to watch, near the goal.  Madness. 
      And the football?  Don't think I saw much.  I cared even less. 
      In short, I was one scared little lad and told my dad to forget it.  So footie became a rare TV-only treat in our house.

Then in 1974 we got a colour TV - nobody else had one in the street, so loads of kids and dads came in to watch the FA cup - LFC v Newcastle.  Keegan and Heighway destroyed the Geordies and I was hooked on the red magicians.  The next day I drew my own poster of Keegan with 'Super Kev - Super Steve' in red felt tip.  It stayed on my wall 'til Special K left for Hamburg, and I made a new one of King Kenny. 
      At school, it was all Nottingham Forest - Forest spoiled the party for us a few times in the late 70s I remember - only my mate Mick and I were Reds.  Then his uncle took us both to Liverpool, to Anfield for a game (can't recall which) in about 1978. We were about 10 or 11, and I remember being lifted off my feet and the surge of bodies, and the heat, funny accents and noise.  I got separated from my mate and his uncle but some bigger Scouse lads took pity on me, held me up and looked after me, shared a pie (remember them?) and told me about my favourite players.  I remember Ray Kennedy scoring, I must have been carried forward 30 yards in the celebrations, and he was the absolute spit of my dad, so he became my hero.  At the end, these lads stayed with me until the Kop cleared and my mate and his uncle showed up.  We were all absolutely giddy, just laughing like idiots.
      So that was it.  I'd had my Roman Catholic confirmation, but that was my Liverpool confirmation and guess which I treasured more!  The togetherness and joy of that Anfield day was the total opposite of my early match-day experiences at Lincoln. 

It's just life, isn't it, supporting Liverpool?  All of life is there, over the years.  Nowadays I get just as excited, just as invested, but I've learned to take the rough with the smooth.  No defeat or run of poor form will ever feel as bad as Hillsborough.  It's all about people, perspective, balance.  And life goes on.

Anyway, here I am.  53 years old and still that little kid deep down, experiencing the Kop for the first time.  Such sad times now, to see it empty and the ground silent, but this will pass, this awful season will pass and we will be Kings again.  All we need to do is look out for each other, and look after our memories, hopes and dreams.

YNWA - all of you.

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #25: Mar 09, 2021 06:16:47 pm
      Born and raised in Litherland my Dad was a massive Red so there was no other team I was going to support.
      My cousin’s husband played for Marine And Southport so I used to go and watch him now and then, but he was a Liverpool supporter as well so my fate was sealed, thank God! I remember when we won the FA Cup for the firsttime in 1965, my Dad cried! I of course was a babe in arms! Went to secondary school and met up with a few other girls and we came together to start a fan club for Sir Roger Hunt. Our friend Irene was the driving force, we were the helpers. We stood in the Anfield Road end with our banner over the front railings, Sir Roger Hunt. We had a social for him at Blair Hall in Walton, I got him a pint, I was on cloud nine! We would watch them training at Melwood during half term and would get the bus back to Anfield to wait for them coming out after they’d had their lunch. We always knew when Big Ronn Yeats was on his way, Sloans liniment wafted out a few minutes before him! Bill Shankly once showed me how to take a photograph of my friend with Big Ron, I don’t think he was impressed with my photography skills. While at college I had a part time job in a shop in Waterloo, the owner’s brother, who was a Blue offered me a ticket to the Derby at Goodison as he couldn’t go. I was courting my future husband then, who as a blue thought I should give him the ticket, as obviously it was in the Everton end! Well I didn’t, I went on my own with my Red scarf on, and to be fair they were brilliant, they got me a box to stand on, so I could see, bought me a cup of tea and a pie at half time and toned their language down. We beat them 3-0! Sadly things aren’t the same anymore! So Liverpool have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, and nothing will change that!

+15
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #26: Mar 09, 2021 06:28:11 pm
      Love reading these. Keep em coming

Cant wait to get back over. September 2019 last visit I had, when ee beat Newcastle had me eldest over with me have him on the right path to
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #27: Mar 09, 2021 06:44:33 pm
      Born and raised in Huyton.  Both parents Liverpool supporters, and my Dad a regular on the Kop.  I have vague memories of him going to the '74 Cup Final, but clear memories of sitting by the radio in '76 when he went to Wolves where we needed to win or get a low-scoring draw to win the league in the last game of the season.  Wolves needed a win to stay up, and were achieving this until 15 minutes from time.  3 late LFC goals signaled the start of a sustained period of success.  By the next season I was following more closely, and went to my first game early 1978.
      I now have 4 LFC-loving sons (and 2 LFC-aware daughters!) - and seeing us win the league again with them last year (from afar - living in USA now) was fantastic.

This could get interesting!!

Huyton here, Huyton there, Huyton F***ing everywhere.
      redman2907
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 13 
      Reply #28: Mar 09, 2021 06:55:14 pm
      I was born in Leicester but I've being going to Liverpool games home/away and in Europe since 1988, ive not missed a final anywere that we have played in since 1989. I helped run a supporters club coach from Leicester for a few years about 7 years ago that brought 50 plus people to Anfield for every home game and a few of us travelled to every away game also by train or cars.   I moved to Liverpool with my wife 3 years ago and we have now brought a house in Norris green, less than 20 minute walk from the ground. I've been a Kop season ticket holder for 30 years now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #29: Mar 09, 2021 06:57:56 pm
      2002. Didn't come from a football loving family or a hardcore football obsessed community (such is the way on island life).

The nearest pro club to where I was was Ross County 100 miles away and I certainly didn't want to support Celtic or Rangers as every other kid seemed to be doing! So me and my brother had to find our own way. I suppose the World Cup in Japan and South Korea ignited a love of the game. I loved Michael Owen, Gerrard and Heskey. Even though they played for England I willed them on. Owen especially - such a dart, so cool and effortless at times. He was a star in my mind and such a premier name as well. They all played for Liverpool and I loved the all red kit.  The red and green crest, that Liverbird. Sometimes, it's that simple.

The real passion was ignited when watching Basle v Liverpool in November 2002. They were 3-0 down but came back to draw 3-3. They still went out of course but I didn't really care. It set me on a road, a journey and an experience that I would never have imagined as an 11 year old back in 02. I have so much to thank Gérard Houllier for (Rest in peace) .

I can't tell you how much of that joy is down to the experience with fellow supporters (friends and family). These threads are nice because it makes me reflect on a near 20 year obsession with this great club and my favourite memories. But the last year has been painful and has had so little joy, not being able to celebrate or suffer together. Any sense of escapism and innocence reclaimed by watching the team you love dissipates with those cold echoey sounds you hear on the TV when watching games at the moment. It's made me switch off which makes me think I'm a bad supporter. But, I can't resist - at the moment, it is an empty shell of a game. Like the rest of us I want this season over now! But when the time comes, I don't think I'll ever watch another match on my own.
      +10
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #30: Mar 09, 2021 07:41:34 pm
      Dad and his side of the family all from Liverpool and all big reds, so from as long as I can remember it was never really a choice for my brothers and me, it was just kind of taken that Liverpool was our team. Remember growing up me and my brothers had that cheque green and white kit that reminds me of Robbie Fowler.

My earliest and clearest memory was my dad taking us to a game in (I think) 2000 vs FC Haka in a Champions league (or maybe uefa cup) qualifier. Think we won 5 1 but all I remember of the match is the lads in front of us singing about Gerard Houllier all game.

Used to get to the game every now and again with mates and my dad but haven’t been a long time now as living abroad, but returning soon and putting that right. Great thread.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #31: Mar 09, 2021 08:10:26 pm
      Interesting on the family split red/blue - do you think that's more or less common nowadays?

I was born in London, but my dad's side of the family are Liverpudlians. My grandad grew up in bowscale road, though by the time my dad had been born they'd jumped over the Mersey and settled in Birkenhead. My dad moved to London, met my mum and I grew up here. Like a few others though my family are split red and blue, with my dad unfortunately a blue. Luckily for me my grandad and uncle both swayed me with a Liverpool shirt and bed covers with Redknapp, Macca, Collymore and others plastered over them. My grandad passed some months after Madrid, and I was gutted he didn't live long enough to see us finally cross the line and lift the league again, but it makes me happy he left this legacy of supporting the reds to me, and I'll cherish the memory I have of us finally getting to visit Anfield together many years ago.

Great post mate. Sorry to hear about your grandad, I’m sure he was watching and smiling from above.

Mixed red and blue families is all I’ve ever known. I actually know of quite a lot of people who support one but their dad or brother supports the other! I couldn’t imagine my dad supporting Everton, some of my best and and most cherished memories are when we’ve watched Liverpool together.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #32: Mar 09, 2021 08:19:19 pm
      Born and raised in Litherland my Dad was a massive Red so there was no other team I was going to support.
      My cousin’s husband played for Marine And Southport so I used to go and watch him now and then, but he was a Liverpool supporter as well so my fate was sealed, thank God! I remember when we won the FA Cup for the firsttime in 1965, my Dad cried! I of course was a babe in arms! Went to secondary school and met up with a few other girls and we came together to start a fan club for Sir Roger Hunt. Our friend Irene was the driving force, we were the helpers. We stood in the Anfield Road end with our banner over the front railings, Sir Roger Hunt. We had a social for him at Blair Hall in Walton, I got him a pint, I was on cloud nine! We would watch them training at Melwood during half term and would get the bus back to Anfield to wait for them coming out after they’d had their lunch. We always knew when Big Ronn Yeats was on his way, Sloans liniment wafted out a few minutes before him! Bill Shankly once showed me how to take a photograph of my friend with Big Ron, I don’t think he was impressed with my photography skills. While at college I had a part time job in a shop in Waterloo, the owner’s brother, who was a Blue offered me a ticket to the Derby at Goodison as he couldn’t go. I was courting my future husband then, who as a blue thought I should give him the ticket, as obviously it was in the Everton end! Well I didn’t, I went on my own with my Red scarf on, and to be fair they were brilliant, they got me a box to stand on, so I could see, bought me a cup of tea and a pie at half time and toned their language down. We beat them 3-0! Sadly things aren’t the same anymore! So Liverpool have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, and nothing will change that!

Just amazing!

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #33: Mar 09, 2021 09:20:59 pm
      Some great stuff on here, the common bond between us doesn't often get aired on here, a lot of letting off steam and disagreement. A breath of much needed fresh air.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #34: Mar 09, 2021 10:12:16 pm
      I was born in Leicester but I've being going to Liverpool games home/away and in Europe since 1988, ive not missed a final anywere that we have played in since 1989. I helped run a supporters club coach from Leicester for a few years about 7 years ago that brought 50 plus people to Anfield for every home game and a few of us travelled to every away game also by train or cars.   I moved to Liverpool with my wife 3 years ago and we have now brought a house in Norris green, less than 20 minute walk from the ground. I've been a Kop season ticket holder for 30 years now.

Alright Scott, how ya doing hun?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #35: Mar 09, 2021 10:32:20 pm
      Born in Liverpool a stones throw away from Anfield in Bootle all those years ago and even though I'm not in Liverpool any more...well you can take the girl away from Liverpool but you'll never take Liverpool away from the girl, proud Scouser and always will be.

All my family on my Mum's side were staunch Reds, my Grandad had a massive influence on me as did my Uncle sadly passed away now but have lots of wonderful memories.

Like some of the other posters, watched the boys training at Melwood, been a Kop season ticket holder for years, been to 5 European Cup finals (the first 5) and followed the reds all over Europe and the country, met some amazing reds fans along the way including many off this forum and generally had an amazing life supporting the most fantastic club in the world.

50 pence to watch the lads from the Kop back in the day, wow, have I had some special nights on the standing swaying kop, different now of course but back then it was something else.

Was lucky enough to do the tour of Anfield end of last season with Keegan my grandson, who is of course a red  :) had our photograph taken with the Premiership, special club all round and very special fans, can't wait till were all back celebrating together, we need each other.

Be nice, we'll get through this blip and come out the other side, keep the faith Reds.....you will never walk alone, remember the good times and they will be back.
      +12
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #36: Mar 09, 2021 10:34:26 pm

Huyton here, Huyton there, Huyton f**king everywhere.

f***in hell, I thought you were him. Never looked at the post count and a bit of a surprise you'd gone American, but the lack of swearies should have woken me up.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #37: Mar 10, 2021 12:03:44 am
      I'm not from the city but a few miles down the east lancs in Eccleston, St Helens. I was born a red in 79, my Dad grew up all through the 70s getting the bus to Sheil Road and walking up and queuing to get on thd Kop and went to two European Cup Finals so I was never gonna be anything other than a red.. as it should be.
      I fell in love with it though in the 85/86 season, I went to my first game then and I can say 'I saw the King Kenny play'. Rush, Barnes, Aldridge, Beardsley, Hansen and Brucie.. I lived for Liverpool.
      No other club has got what we've got, just look at the Kop on a matchday, our history, our present. Forget this little blip we are F***ing brilliant what we've done over the last few seasons, we'll be back and we are so lucky that we've got Jürgen, any proper fan can see how everything and anything hasn't gone for us this year.. The imperfect storm I'm calling it.
      The wait for the league became an obsession for me, I felt like someone had died after that Gerrard slip and seeing Suarez after that Palace game but Jürgen ended that he brought us our holy grail and big ears number 6.. You know what lads it's a big big ask but I'm thinking number 7 is happening this season. I don't know why but I want us stick two fingers up to all the media, pundits and opposition fans who've revelled in our mini demise, knowing how sick it makes them to see us win anything
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #38: Mar 10, 2021 12:09:31 am
      Some interesting reads.
      For me, I met John Barnes and Steve Nicol after they came to play a game at a club where I was playing in the youth team. Obviously being young I was in awe of them. Even Gary Gillespie. He was taller than me when he was sitting down.
      I never made it as a footballer really, though I did get to play quite a bit. Ex red David Thompson (who was great) was a companion of mine in the physio room at one club but I was already doing my coaching badges then. I never got to the dream heights of nicol and ablett and co.
      So yeah; for me, as a toddler I was a forest fan, but meeting Liverpool lads and watching them first hand was inspiring. Forest weren’t too bad then either....
      I got to play with mark Walters as well in the states for some promotional thing, and he was so skilful and quick I couldn’t work out why he never really made it here. Along with prytz, Walters was the best player I played with.
      But all ex reds talk about their time at anfield: even ogrizovic.

So yeah; I wasn’t born a red. I was just introduced to some and was lucky enough to play or coach with some and it rubbed off on me.

HuytonRed
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts | 14 
      Reply #39: Mar 10, 2021 01:20:37 am

Yes - I remember this from 9 years ago - when I last posted on here!  Happy to bow to seniority and change my name to NabyLad, if that would help, and someone can make the change for me.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: Mar 10, 2021 02:20:18 am
      Not nearly as good a back story as some of you have. I had a growing interest in world football from the 1982 World Cup and knew about Liverpool, but didn't have a team that I "supported" yet. I just liked reading about football and watching as the game became more prominent over here (never used to be on TV here before the 90s).

I was in UK for the first time in 1998 to write a magazine article about the Old Firm rivalry. I visted a number of grounds and liked it all, but when I took the opportunity to catch a Liverpool-Newcastle game on Dec. 28, 1998 my life was truly changed. I sat in the press area, walked out the tunnel and everything. The scene outside the ground, the crowd, the one-of-a-kind atmosphere that clearly had a role in the team fighting back from 2-0 down to win 4-2, I'd just never seen or experienced anything like it. Been over a half-dozen times now and hoping I can make it one more time before my days are done but finances may not allow it. Have grown to love them more than anything on earth except my family. There's really no explanation for it, but also no denying it.

Brian - this maybe the best thread I've seen since I joined the boards 5 or 6 years ago. Much needed positivity as well.
      +11
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #41: Mar 10, 2021 05:23:30 am
      Strange but a simple story. 2002, had my first playstation. Booted up Winning eleven. "Manchester United" was well known by then. So me and brother decided to take Liverpool, just because we felt that the name was cool  ;D

Used to read a bit of sports newspaper back then, saw that Liverpool had fair few English national players ala, Owen, Gerrard, Carragher. And during 2005, we started watching the team. Still remember a bit about the FA cup win in 2006.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Mar 10, 2021 08:58:40 am
      Strange but a simple story. 2002, had my first playstation. Booted up Winning eleven. "Manchester United" was well known by then. So me and brother decided to take Liverpool, just because we felt that the name was cool  ;D

Used to read a bit of sports newspaper back then, saw that Liverpool had fair few English national players ala, Owen, Gerrard, Carragher. And during 2005, we started watching the team. Still remember a bit about the FA cup win in 2006.

That has got to win the award for most random way to start supporting Liverpool, but once the bug bites you are hooked. :-)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #43: Mar 10, 2021 10:35:39 am
      I remember always watching wrestling on tv on a Saturday afternoon, this particular Saturday was cup final afternoon in May 1965. I remember vividly watching the final Leeds v Liverpool on a black & white tv at home. I had been to Liverpool on a few shopping trips & loved the big stores especially going on the escalators etc. Naturally I wanted Liverpool to win !

I was only 11 years old at the time, do not remember much about the match, only the 2 - 1 win for Liverpool, with Roger Hunt & Ian St John scoring . Ever since then I have been an avid fan of Liverpool through thick & thin. I have always enjoyed the atmosphere of Anfield whenever I have been to see a game. I think it is a great sight seeing the Kop in full flow singing waving their flags an banners.

I had a mate who I came to a number of games with who very sadly passed  away last April, I often think of him when the Reds are playing. I will always be a Liverpool fan. I am now 67 years old and still follow every game one way or another, hoping for better times ahead !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #44: Mar 10, 2021 12:04:45 pm
      Just to add some of the things Im most proud of about supporting this club are things not to do with winning.

As a kid seeing the masses on the Kop applaud the opposition goalkeepers

1989, losing to Arsenal in the last seconds to lose out on the title but our crowd staying to applaud the new champions, that was different class.

Applauding outstanding football or goals scored by the opposition

Standing up for what we believe is right to stand up for

And of course the support given throughout Hillsborough ftom.the day it happenned through to today..

I wasnt born into this I had a choice, of sorts, but f**k me any other choice would have led to a far less happier time as a football fan
      « Last Edit: Mar 10, 2021 01:09:25 pm by Brian78 »
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #45: Mar 10, 2021 12:48:39 pm

I was born and raised in Huyton but left when I was 5 to move to woolybackland.

My dad was a red and used to go the matches. I remember my dad putting pictures of players up on my bedroom wall.

Never got to go the match with my dad when I was a kid but remember being on Queens Drive or outside my Gran's in Park Road in the Dingle watching trophies getting paraded on the open topped bus year after year.

Have taken my dad to a few European matches in recent years which has been nice.

Quick Reply