Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

You and Liverpool: Why?

Read 5926 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: You and Liverpool: Why?
      Reply #46: Mar 10, 2021 01:25:35 pm
      Yes - I remember this from 9 years ago - when I last posted on here!  Happy to bow to seniority and change my name to NabyLad, if that would help, and someone can make the change for me.

Nah keep it, there's no space and it's good to see other fellow Huyton reds about the place!!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #47: Mar 10, 2021 01:38:18 pm
      Not nearly as good a back story as some of you have. I had a growing interest in world football from the 1982 World Cup and knew about Liverpool, but didn't have a team that I "supported" yet. I just liked reading about football and watching as the game became more prominent over here (never used to be on TV here before the 90s).

I was in UK for the first time in 1998 to write a magazine article about the Old Firm rivalry. I visted a number of grounds and liked it all, but when I took the opportunity to catch a Liverpool-Newcastle game on Dec. 28, 1998 my life was truly changed. I sat in the press area, walked out the tunnel and everything. The scene outside the ground, the crowd, the one-of-a-kind atmosphere that clearly had a role in the team fighting back from 2-0 down to win 4-2, I'd just never seen or experienced anything like it. Been over a half-dozen times now and hoping I can make it one more time before my days are done but finances may not allow it. Have grown to love them more than anything on earth except my family. There's really no explanation for it, but also no denying it.

Brian - this maybe the best thread I've seen since I joined the boards 5 or 6 years ago. Much needed positivity as well.

How could you say this isn't a great back story? Fantastic one if I'm honest.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #48: Mar 10, 2021 02:04:20 pm
      How could you say this isn't a great back story? Fantastic one if I'm honest.

Yup
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #49: Mar 10, 2021 02:10:47 pm
      Kenny, Rush, Brucie, Lawro, Nicol, Gillespie, Ronnie, Mcmahon, Molby, Jockey. Hook line and sinker

Barnes, Beardsley, Aldo, Staunton awe struck

Redknapp, Jones, Mcmanaman, Fowler....these came in at my most influential age. Never got over the line but thses probably pushed me over the edge as in full out passion as in fights in school defending them and pure idolisation. Great time for me even if not a lot of trophies floating about!!

Waffling a bit now sorry
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #50: Mar 10, 2021 02:13:34 pm
      Kenny, Rush, Brucie, Lawro, Nicol, Gillespie, Ronnie, Mcmahon, Molby, Jockey. Hook line and sinker

Barnes, Beardsley, Aldo, Staunton awe struck

Redknapp, Jones, Mcmanaman, Fowler....these came in at my most influential age. Never got over the line but thses probably pushed me over the edge as in full out passion as in fights in school defending them and pure idolisation. Great time for me even if not a lot of trophies floating about!!

Waffling a bit now sorry

Lost count of how many times I watched the 87/88 review VHS when I was a kid.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #51: Mar 10, 2021 03:03:14 pm
      Just to add some of the things Im most proud of about supporting this club are things not to do with winning.

As a kid seeing the masses on the Kop applaud the opposition goalkeepers

1989, losing to Arsenal in the last seconds to lose out on the title but our crowd staying to applaud the new champions, that was different class.

Applauding outstanding football or goals scored by the opposition

Standing up for what we believe is right to stand up for

And of course the support given throughout Hillsborough ftom.the day it happenned through to today..

I wasnt born into this I had a choice, of sorts, but f**k me any other choice would have led to a far less happier time as a football fan

TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS !!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #52: Mar 10, 2021 03:04:36 pm

Id say some are wondering what vhs is pal 😂😂
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #53: Mar 10, 2021 04:14:27 pm
      Year was 1974, I was at a cub scout weekend at the Wroughton Science Museum, and since the weather was atrocious we were allowed to watch the FA Cup Final, we were picking a side to cheer for, I chose Liverpool, especially as KK was one of my favourite players, been a supporter ever since, through good times and the not so good times.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #54: Mar 10, 2021 04:55:59 pm

He dated himself ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #55: Mar 10, 2021 05:00:47 pm
      Just to add some of the things Im most proud of about supporting this club are things not to do with winning.

As a kid seeing the masses on the Kop applaud the opposition goalkeepers

1989, losing to Arsenal in the last seconds to lose out on the title but our crowd staying to applaud the new champions, that was different class.

Applauding outstanding football or goals scored by the opposition

Standing up for what we believe is right to stand up for

And of course the support given throughout Hillsborough ftom.the day it happenned through to today..

I wasnt born into this I had a choice, of sorts, but f**k me any other choice would have led to a far less happier time as a football fan

All the things our support is famed for Brian, like you I feel so proud to support our club, there are so many memories I hold that I can’t pick one out I’m most proud of, some I get proper emotional over, I guess at a push I’d probably say that first time I seen the inside of Anfield, at the top of the Kop, climbing those steps and seeing that vivid green carpet brought tears to my eyes, i couldn’t believe I was actually there, pure raw emotion, I’d seen plenty of tv footage and games obviously but to actually be there was simply fantastic, don’t think I’ll ever forget that feeling,

I remember being on the Kop when Brucie was in goal , we used to ask what the score was and he’d show us hands behind his back , I remember Arsenal when we used shout Heehaw heehaw heehaw at donkey Adams, not forgetting all the songs we sung, the laughs & the banter and the absolutely brilliant camaraderie and atmosphere, and of course the Surfing, it looked great on tv but actually being there was a unforgettable experience, scary at first but Wow, what a feeling, I won’t mention the pissing thru a rolled up newspaper that didn’t always reach the ground, the results of have too many ales in the Albert, Sandon, supporters club, and wherever else we went, chips gravy & sausage from the chippy, and sometimes a wee doobie for a bit of herbal remedy,

Would love to come back and do all that again, bit difficult with the Kop as it is these days tho, those  memories I will treasure for the rest of my days.

Y  N  W  A

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #56: Mar 10, 2021 05:03:40 pm

I thought it was a STD 😂
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #57: Mar 10, 2021 05:18:04 pm
      Watched the 65 Cup Final on TV so I'd like to think Ian St John played a major part in me becoming a Liverpool fan.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #58: Mar 10, 2021 07:10:53 pm

All the things our support is famed for Brian, like you I feel so proud to support our club, there are so many memories I hold that I can’t pick one out I’m most proud of, some I get proper emotional over, I guess at a push I’d probably say that first time I seen the inside of Anfield, at the top of the Kop, climbing those steps and seeing that vivid green carpet brought tears to my eyes, i couldn’t believe I was actually there, pure raw emotion, I’d seen plenty of tv footage and games obviously but to actually be there was simply fantastic, don’t think I’ll ever forget that feeling,

I remember being on the Kop when Brucie was in goal , we used to ask what the score was and he’d show us hands behind his back , I remember Arsenal when we used shout Heehaw heehaw heehaw at donkey Adams, not forgetting all the songs we sung, the laughs & the banter and the absolutely brilliant camaraderie and atmosphere, and of course the Surfing, it looked great on tv but actually being there was a unforgettable experience, scary at first but Wow, what a feeling, I won’t mention the pissing thru a rolled up newspaper that didn’t always reach the ground, the results of have too many ales in the Albert, Sandon, supporters club, and wherever else we went, chips gravy & sausage from the chippy, and sometimes a wee doobie for a bit of herbal remedy,

Would love to come back and do all that again, bit difficult with the Kop as it is these days tho, those  memories I will treasure for the rest of my days.

Y  N  W  A

Great post. You support Liverpool and you strike a deal with your eyes and ears. That first time I walked out onto the Main Stand at Anfield will always live with me. That stark, vivid green contrasted with the scarlet red of the support.

Even then, my greatest memory will always be an aural one and listening to the Olympiakos match on 5 Live (didn't have Sky then). The surge of noise and the ever increasing intensity from the crowd really came through and sucked me and my brother in listening in our bedroom. Something was going to happen, it's as if the crowd had arrested all control from the players on the pitch. And then Stevie hit it.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #59: Mar 10, 2021 07:19:11 pm
      Great post. You support Liverpool and you strike a deal with your eyes and ears. That first time I walked out onto the Main Stand at Anfield will always live with me. That stark, vivid green contrasted with the scarlet red of the support.

Even then, my greatest memory will always be an aural one and listening to the Olympiakos match on 5 Live (didn't have Sky then). The surge of noise and the ever increasing intensity from the crowd really came through and sucked me and my brother in listening in our bedroom. Something was going to happen, it's as if the crowd had arrested all control from the players on the pitch. And then Stevie hit it.

Brilliant FMS, love that on Olympiacos. Can you believe that I actually followed that on bloody Teletext!! If some of our younger members don't know VHS I'm guessing Teletext will be an alien language  :D I distinctly remember following it downstairs on the TV, thinking hope was fading, and then "Gerrard, 86" pops up, I do laps of the kitchen, sprint up the stairs and start jumping around on my bed, screaming my little head off. Thanks for reminding me of that!!  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #60: Mar 10, 2021 07:28:31 pm
      Brilliant FMS, love that on Olympiacos. Can you believe that I actually followed that on bloody Teletext!! If some of our younger members don't know VHS I'm guessing Teletext will be an alien language  :D I distinctly remember following it downstairs on the TV, thinking hope was fading, and then "Gerrard, 86" pops up, I do laps of the kitchen, sprint up the stairs and start jumping around on my bed, screaming my little head off. Thanks for reminding me of that!!  :lmao:

Ha ha! On another night if I had no radio I certainly would have been following on teletext! (we didn't even have freeview back in 2004, just the 4 channels).

I did do Teletext a few times - I remember earlier on in 2004 following our match v Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Teletext. 1-0 to us. Bruno Cheyrou with the winner! There's something so uneasy and intense about following it like that.

Then it was watch the news at 10 for a sports roundup to see the goal and then off to bed!
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #61: Mar 11, 2021 12:21:48 am
      This was such a great wee feel good thread and then Liverpool go out and give that characteristic European performance to keep us smiling :) YNWA
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #62: Mar 11, 2021 12:43:12 am

History vid, Team of the Decade, Beating the Blues, Goal Rush and a couple of them season reviews were all watched religiously when I was younger.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #63: Mar 11, 2021 02:13:37 am
      Ha ha! On another night if I had no radio I certainly would have been following on teletext! (we didn't even have freeview back in 2004, just the 4 channels).

I did do Teletext a few times - I remember earlier on in 2004 following our match v Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Teletext. 1-0 to us. Bruno Cheyrou with the winner! There's something so uneasy and intense about following it like that.

Then it was watch the news at 10 for a sports roundup to see the goal and then off to bed!

I had a short wave radio and would listen to BBC World Service commentary of 2nd half of games on Saturday mornings (over here). Always loved the sounds on medium wave (AM) of the crowd as backdrop to the comms.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #64: Mar 11, 2021 03:15:26 am
      Football is huge in middle east so I immediately fell in love with the game upon first exposures. Family supported the local "Blue" team, and I followed. Back in early 90s we used to play a footy video game with my friend on his Amiga. I don't remember what it was called but it was Manchester derby game. You could only choose United on City. My friend supported the local "Red" team so he with with United and I ended up with Shitty. So I was a City "fan" for a few days until I talked it up with my old man. Turned out he was a Liverpool supporter for 20 years. Back then you could get an odd Liverpool game broadcasted live but most of the time we had to wait hours after the game to hear the results on Evening News or something. If it was a late game (consider time difference) we had to wait for the morning paper, and for me that meant after school either hearing from my dad or stopping by the news stand on my way home. My first favorite player was definitely Fowler. What a ride it has been!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #65: Mar 11, 2021 08:25:46 am
      Football is huge in middle east so I immediately fell in love with the game upon first exposures. Family supported the local "Blue" team, and I followed. Back in early 90s we used to play a footy video game with my friend on his Amiga. I don't remember what it was called but it was Manchester derby game. You could only choose United on City. My friend supported the local "Red" team so he with with United and I ended up with Shitty. So I was a City "fan" for a few days until I talked it up with my old man. Turned out he was a Liverpool supporter for 20 years. Back then you could get an odd Liverpool game broadcasted live but most of the time we had to wait hours after the game to hear the results on Evening News or something. If it was a late game (consider time difference) we had to wait for the morning paper, and for me that meant after school either hearing from my dad or stopping by the news stand on my way home. My first favorite player was definitely Fowler. What a ride it has been!

Can’t imagine what that would have been like mate, at least here in the West we had radio or even teletext, and national or local paper’s, I remember the days where there were only three tv channels to watch, bbc1, bbc2 & itv(stv in Scotland) and in black & white, colour tv came in later and the whole world changed, I remember Saturday nights, myself and my two sisters being told to get to bed,probably around 9pm, but my old fella would tap my bedroom door about ten, the football’s on, so I had to sneak past my sisters room to get to our living room and the tv with colour and with football on, f***in luxury let me tell ye.

Y  N  W  A

RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 732 posts | 121 
      Reply #66: Mar 11, 2021 03:48:46 pm
      (First post although have been visiting the Forum for a long time!) xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Became a Red because of my Dad (Ma was a Blue). Dad's younger brother played twice for Liverpool in 1955 - he didn't stay long  :lmao: - they shipped him off to Chester!
      Been a reds supporter for 50plus years altho' no longer able to go - so am now an 'armchair supporter' but am still as passionate about my beloved team as I was when I first saw them play as a kid and win the 1963/4 League Championship!  :champ:
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #67: Mar 11, 2021 07:22:48 pm
      and I started supporting the Reds when watching the infamous 1971 FA Cup Final v Arsenal on TV,

That's the same day I started supporting them and my little pal became a lifelong Arsenal fan
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #68: Mar 11, 2021 07:28:44 pm
      Back in 2002 spent 2 trimesters abroad at the Uni of Essex in Colchester and spent many hours at the pub on site watching games and became a LFC fan then.

During one of those nights watching is when Dennis Bergkamp scored that amazing goal against Newcastle where with his back to the defender flicked the ball with the outside of his foot and spun around past the defender and beat the goalie.

In 2005 i was in Dublin for grad school on a 2-week program and caught the CL final against Milan at a local bar. This guy who was in the program and didn't like football said how that was the best game he had watched in any sport.

Quick Reply