Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leipzig?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.9%)
      Ozan Kabak
      0 (0%)
      Nat Phillips
      38 (35.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      8 (7.4%)
       Fabinho
      46 (42.6%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      8 (7.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      3 (2.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Voting closed: Mar 14, 2021 09:50:11 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Leipzig: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16324 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Leipzig: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Mar 11, 2021 12:59:59 pm
      What a nice feeling to wake up this morning with a win and a place in the last 8! Has made a huge difference to my mood I tell ya that!

I thought the whole team were excellent from start to finish. Phillips, Kabak and Thiago all had their best games in a red shirt. Fab was my motm but only just ahead of big Nat Phillips (i wanted to give it to Phillips but Fab was sooooo good). The subs were also excellent when they came on.

Was having Fab and Gino in the middle the key to unlocking more from Thiago? I think Klopp has to trust the 2 CBs (and Davies) moving forward and see if we can get a few wins in the league, stop the rot and hopefully Phillips and Kabak can build a partnership of sorts.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #484: Mar 11, 2021 01:01:57 pm
      The style of play in this tournament gives me optimism.
      Though understaffed, LFC will be playing CL teams that tend to go on the front foot more (except Atletico) than the typical park-the-bus PL team. More open games means more open space in the box for LFC forwards. Given LFC's back line limitations, LFC has to pump goals into the net to have any shot.

I thought the same, we don't match up so well against Atletico. Porto i think would be everyone's preference for the next round, and hopefully a City-PSG draw while we're at it.
      Brown1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #485: Mar 11, 2021 02:43:44 pm
      A much-improved performance from the recent awful display of the past weeks. This kind of performance or even better is very much needed on Monday against Wolves.

The man of the match was Thiago excellent technical player,
      and Phillips who had a very impressive game, our best CBs at present time.
      I was watching the game between Porto & Juventus the other day, LFC player Grujic came on the second half, this young man had a fine game and he never put a foot wrong, someone just wonders why the likes of Origi and Keita are in the squad and Grujic is not, due to an excellent Klopp's management.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #486: Mar 11, 2021 02:48:17 pm
      A much-improved performance from the recent awful display of the past weeks. This kind of performance or even better is very much needed on Monday against Wolves.

I was watching the game between Porto & Juventus the other day, LFC player Grujic came on the second half, this young man had a fine game and he never put a foot wrong, someone just wonders why the likes of Origi and Keita are in the squad and Grujic is not, due to an excellent Klopp's management.

Grujic came on just shy of the 90 minute mark so really didn't have much time to put a foot wrong.  He is not at the same level of Keita so that is not really a good comparison either
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #487: Mar 11, 2021 02:49:51 pm
      Grujic came on just shy of the 90 minute mark so really didn't have much time to put a foot wrong.  He is not at the same level of Keita so that is not really a good comparison either

And are very different style of players.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #488: Mar 11, 2021 02:51:21 pm
      I only got to see bits and pieces of the match, but here are my thoughts. 

- Nat has looked solid every time he has played for us.  It isn't always pretty -- he often looks slow and clumsy -- but he is effective and he seems to be fully aware of his own weaknesses and plays in such a way that he doesn't allow those to be exposed.  For me, Nat needs to be our primary CB moving forward (in the absence of Virg, Joe, and Joel).  Figure out which of Kabak / Rhys / Daview is his best partner and get that pair some experience in the Prem before we get to the next round of the CL. 

- Fab is a brilliant CDM and he needs to stay there.  The protection he offers our CB's makes their jobs easier, and the freedom he gives to the other CM's to play their game in a more natural way is invaluable.  Having Fab at CDM makes both Gini and Thiago better. 

- Jota is a baller.  I can't wait to see how good he is and his impact on the front 3 once he has regained full match fitness and sharpness. 

I genuinely believe that if we can use the next few Prem matches to get a stable starting 11 and develop a bit of confidence and chemistry that we have a shot at lifting another Big Ears in May. 
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #489: Mar 11, 2021 02:56:34 pm
      FANTASTIC !!!

what a difference having 2 actual CB's and Fab as the 6.

Onwards & upwards now.

YNWA
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #490: Mar 11, 2021 03:00:15 pm
      Thrilled for another 2-0 domination vs Leipzig but lets be honest Leipzig is an underwhelming squad.

Positives:
      Fabinho won headers all night long from his midfield position which was in stark contrast to past setups without Fabs. Result: more offensive opportunities
      This is a huge development.

Negatives:
      Lack of footspeed of the 2 replacement defenders thrust into starting lineup. Man are they slow and my constant worry is they will get burned by faster frontlines.
      Also....the lack of finishing by Mane and Salah. Sometimes the brain and body just aren't in sync.....and sometimes they are.

Looking forward:
      The style of play in this tournament gives me optimism.
      Though understaffed, LFC will be playing CL teams that tend to go on the front foot more (except Atletico) than the typical park-the-bus PL team. More open games mean more open space in the box for LFC forwards. Given LFC's back line limitations, LFC has to pump goals into the net to have any shot.

Good points, my negativity should be left for the Prem, as the CL could be made for us as you say
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #491: Mar 11, 2021 03:44:12 pm
      Last time neither Messi or Ronaldo were in the quarters was 2005. That year we beat Leverkusen in the last 16. We won the tie by a 4 goal margin and we had key players out injured.

Just saying
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #492: Mar 11, 2021 05:22:10 pm

He is totally conjuring up an issue, as Grujic barely got on, like you said
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #493: Mar 11, 2021 05:43:06 pm

F***ing idiot talking beans as usual. Any excuse for the troll c**t to take a dig at Jürgen.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #494: Mar 11, 2021 08:58:22 pm
      Last time neither Messi or Ronaldo were in the quarters was 2005. That year we beat Leverkusen in the last 16. We won the tie by a 4 goal margin and we had key players out injured.

Just saying

I'll settle for another 2005 CL run,hopefully Porto in the next round but i reckon we'll get PSG.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #495: Mar 11, 2021 09:14:42 pm

Just saying

Superb performance in that tie by the Redmen.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #496: Mar 11, 2021 09:59:39 pm

Mods, why is this WUM still here? Come on guys!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #497: Mar 12, 2021 01:50:40 am
      He is totally conjuring up an issue, as Grujic barely got on, like you said

Played 30 mins of extra time, to say barely got on would be wrong. Was well involved during the extra time period too.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #498: Mar 12, 2021 03:35:13 am
      Played 30 mins of extra time, to say barely got on would be wrong. Was well involved during the extra time period too.

oh that's right. I'm getting old and forgetful. I like Grujic as a player and wouldn't mind him being back here next season although i don't expect it.

Jürgen didn't make some mistake in loaning him out and I believe he was up against a limit of foreign players he could register in the squad anyway. All that poster does is try to bring Klopp down and I'm tired of it.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #499: Mar 12, 2021 08:57:40 am
      oh that's right. I'm getting old and forgetful. I like Grujic as a player and wouldn't mind him being back here next season although i don't expect it.

Jürgen didn't make some mistake in loaning him out and I believe he was up against a limit of foreign players he could register in the squad anyway. All that poster does is try to bring Klopp down and I'm tired of it.

Jürgen loaned Grujic out to get him game time and experience,at this moment it looks as though he's well behind the current players in the squad and i think Jürgen is right to do so.A lot of PL players have had loans and then become good players for their parent club,one example being Kane at Spurs.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #500: Mar 12, 2021 12:47:01 pm

No fair enough on that last para, totally get it!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #501: Mar 12, 2021 11:09:06 pm
      Forgot to come in here and say get the fuckkk innnnnnnn, thru to the quarters, bring them on!!!

How good was it to see Fab back where he belongs?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #502: Mar 13, 2021 10:59:30 am
      Quote from bazspeedman
      Brilliant ref so refreshing in CL games.

Steady. He is the same ref who was the VAR for Midtylland away. Because he took his time trying to judge handballs, penalties and offsides, there was 9 minutes injury time.

Quote from HamannsTheMan
      Very good performance and something that was very much needed. Hate to put a slight downer on a great night for us but I thought leipzig were very average over the two legs to be honest, border line poor, so I don’t want to get carried away or big us up too much. They don’t belong at this stage of the competition and we were barely tested by them.

Don’t get me wrong, we were very professional over the two legs and we can only beat whatever’s in front of us, but people will talk about Fabinho playing in the midfield and how it’s a must from here on. We all know how badly we’ve missed Fabinho in the midfield (people say it’s henderson but it’s actually Fabinho who we deeply miss) but put a top striker in europe up against kabak and they will cause us no end of trouble. The likes of Haaland and Lewandowski will drag that back line all over the place.

Great night. Quarter finals. Bring on F***ing anybody.

So we've gone from "want the season to end" to "bring on the world" in 90 minutes. That's what a home win in Europe does I suppose.

As for their level, they kicked Atletico out and reached the semi finals of it last season. They kicked the mancs out of it this season, so they're no mugs. If they scored the first goal instead of hitting the bar, we would  probably be facing a nerve wracking ending, but we've had enough of them lately.

As for us, our confidence has been affected to such an extent that we missed a heap of easy chances before going 3-0 up. Once we got the 4th, we could see it out, but we'll have to be more clinical in the next rounds. And please get VVD fit and ready for the next round, because he will be needed.

It's probably the first and last time we've had a home game not at Anfield, but it has been two very successful trips to one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Last year, a full Anfield wasn't enough to help us get into the quarter finals on it's own. This year, we showed that when we apply ourselves properly, we can still win at home regardless of the situation we're faced with.

Quick Reply