Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Scouting talk

Read 321517 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Scouting talk
      Reply #1081: Aug 07, 2022 10:16:42 am
      Even more important to bring in some quality into the midfield as the injuries have already started!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1082: Aug 07, 2022 11:37:12 am
      Ox was actually fit for a fair bit of the end of last season but didn't even get on the bench a few times.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,726 posts | 847 
      Reply #1083: Aug 07, 2022 02:49:12 pm
      Even more important to bring in some quality into the midfield as the injuries have already started!
      I dont see us buying a midfielder to deal with some injuries unless somebody pretty essential to our midfield is out for a very long time (like 3 months+). Like Klopp said, you dont solve a problem you count in weeks with a transfer.

I think our two main targets in that department were Tchouameni and Bellingham. One chose RM and the other is unavailable this summer. If he is our target then I don't see us paying a fee, giving a contract of 3years+ to somebody only to help with injuries when our main target is available next summer. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1084: Aug 07, 2022 02:58:00 pm
      Next summer thereā€™s a chance we lose Ox, Keita and Milner on a free. Regardless of their involvement in the team, thatā€™s still going to reduce the numbers in that position massively.
      Unless we are going to be focusing more on a 4-2-3-1 formation from now on, it wouldnā€™t be a bad idea to get another midfielder in this season and then another next season. Either way within the next year we will need to sign a minimum of 2 new midfielders.

Ox was actually fit for a fair bit of the end of last season but didn't even get on the bench a few times.

Was only on the bench a few times after he had a strop being taken off on 2 consecutive occasions. The 2nd time against Norwich we went on to win the game and you could see him just sat there sulking whilst everyone else was celebrating. Even if he wasnā€™t injured, I doubt heā€™d have played anymore than the early rounds of the cups this season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1085: Aug 07, 2022 05:07:50 pm
      I dont see us buying a midfielder to deal with some injuries unless somebody pretty essential to our midfield is out for a very long time (like 3 months+). Like Klopp said, you dont solve a problem you count in weeks with a transfer.

I think our two main targets in that department were Tchouameni and Bellingham. One chose RM and the other is unavailable this summer. If he is our target then I don't see us paying a fee, giving a contract of 3years+ to somebody only to help with injuries when our main target is available next summer. 
      So there is only two players in the world who fit our system 🤣

We have a ageing midfield already and unless Curtis or Harvey break through rapidly we need at least two quality players so why not one this season.
      Better than trying to assimilate two in one season. 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1086: Aug 07, 2022 05:57:34 pm
      So there is only two players in the world who fit our system 🤣

We have a ageing midfield already and unless Curtis or Harvey break through rapidly we need at least two quality players so why not one this season.
      Better than trying to assimilate two in one season. 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

I don't disagree with the second paragraph but we've shown time and time again we will only buy the players we feel fully fit what we want and have been extensively scouted.

Obviously we would all probably feel there are a number of CM who could come in and do well in our side but LFC under JĆ¼rgen and FSG will wait to get eh man they want until that proves impossible.
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2022 06:27:10 pm by srslfc »
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1087: Aug 07, 2022 06:29:01 pm
      I don't disagree with the second paragraph but we've shown time and time again we will only buy the players we feel fully fit what we want and have been extensively scouted.

Obviously we would all probably feel there are a number of CM who could come in and do well in our side but LFC under JĆ¼rgen and FSG will wait to get eh man they want until that proves impossible.

Surely there was someone out there this summer who could serve us better than Alex, naby and Curtis? Can't believe their isn't.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1088: Aug 07, 2022 06:31:33 pm
      Surely there was someone out there this summer who could serve us better than Alex, naby and Curtis? Can't believe their isn't.

Yea there likely is mate as I said but whether it's the player the club want is another matter.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,259 posts | 2800 
      Reply #1089: Aug 07, 2022 06:35:47 pm
      Midfield is a sticky situation for sure at the moment. We've got two world class players there but overall it's a position that's got ageing players, injury prone players and a couple of kids. There's going to be a lot of pressure on Elliott (and Jones when fit) to come in and put in big performances week in, week out.

If we want to go with what we've got and hold off for Bellingham next summer then fine (we need two midfielders though, not one) but in a season of fine margins going in weak in midfield could be the difference between a successful season and one that isn't.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 270 
      Reply #1090: Aug 07, 2022 06:38:01 pm
      Is it paper talk or are we genuinely going to sign Bellingham next season? On the assumption we are I don't think Gini on a one year loan would've been a bad option.
      There are downsides with that,I don't think Klopp wants to give the message that you'd be welcomed back if you leave I suppose...
      I hope we do sign a midfielder, I'm not sure we will.
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2022 06:52:58 pm by Rush Goalie »
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1091: Aug 07, 2022 06:48:48 pm
      Is it paper talk or are we genuinely going to sign Bellingham next season? On the assumption we are I don't think Gini on a one year loan would've been a bad option.
      There are downsides with that,I don't think Klopp wants to give the message that you'd be welcomed back if you leave I suppose...

Yeah there are other factors at play. Gini would contribute 50/60 games. He'd contribute more that keita chamberlain and Jones combined and maybe even thiago.

But I remember JĆ¼rgen saying early on here that he didn't like signing players he'd worked with before. So, I never expected gini back.

Would I welcome him back, could he help us and make us better ... I believe thats not in question. But JĆ¼rgen isn't going to change his methods now.

Big season for Fabio and Harvey. If fit they will see alot of action this season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1092: Aug 07, 2022 07:57:23 pm
      So John Henry has a ghost of Christmas past moment and phones JĆ¼rgen and says "JĆ¼rgen get the player you want who will win us the league don't worry about the money" who does he buy ?. The midfield has been constantly highlighted by people since JĆ¼rgen has been here yet despite the number one target Hendo lifting every Trophy possible he still gets targeted along with Naby and now Bobby. So who is the player people want who can change everything
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,411 posts | 1458 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1093: Aug 07, 2022 09:05:11 pm
      Watching Gini get his welcome to Roma just then on YouTube... not gonna lie, I'd kill for a Gini in this side right now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1094: Aug 07, 2022 09:39:31 pm
      If we look at the centre back situation when we bought in 2 centre backs but essentially ended up going for players 'in house in May and rhys I think JĆ¼rgen barring long term injuries will happily settle for what he's got. When everyone is available li don't see a pressing need for another midfielder
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,169 posts | 718 
      Reply #1095: Aug 07, 2022 09:52:28 pm
      So John Henry has a ghost of Christmas past moment and phones JĆ¼rgen and says "JĆ¼rgen get the player you want who will win us the league don't worry about the money" who does he buy ?. The midfield has been constantly highlighted by people since JĆ¼rgen has been here yet despite the number one target Hendo lifting every Trophy possible he still gets targeted along with Naby and now Bobby. So who is the player people want who can change everything
      I'll throw this in the mix. Trent. Played there at youth level and seemingly has all the attributes. Thoughts?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1096: Aug 07, 2022 09:58:22 pm
      I'll throw this in the mix. Trent. Played there at youth level and seemingly has all the attributes. Thoughts?

Not for me mate.

He more or less played there most of the game coming from RB so I wouldn't want to change that system.

If needs be we're capable of switching to 4 2 3 1 and play that way.

To be frank though if we can't beat Palace with options of Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Milner and Elliott then we're not as good as we think we are.

CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #1097: Aug 08, 2022 12:18:10 am
      JĆ¼rgen's obviously not going to panic, even if right now the negative nellies are rejoicing thinking "i was right" because we have injuries. It's the same midfield that last year won 2 domestic cups, reached the CL finals, would have likely won the league if not for F***ing VAR (City handball against Everton not called) and got Elliott back fully healthy and added Carvalho.

Look forward to seeing Elliott get some starting time. He may take that starting spot and not give it back.

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2022 12:25:02 am by CT_LFC »
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #1098: Aug 08, 2022 12:33:23 am

Correct, because we have 7 players for 2 midfield positions in front of Fabinho. That's before before Carvalho who can probably play there as well. That's more than plenty, maybe too many.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,197 posts | 6348 
      Reply #1099: Aug 08, 2022 12:41:46 am
      JĆ¼rgen's obviously not going to panic, even if right now the negative nellies are rejoicing thinking "i was right" because we have injuries. It's the same midfield that last year won 2 domestic cups, reached the CL finals, would have likely won the league if not for f**king VAR (City handball against Everton not called) and got Elliott back fully healthy and added Carvalho.

Look forward to seeing Elliott get some starting time. He may take that starting spot and not give it back.

But itā€™s not the same midfield without Thiago is it?

And who are the ā€œnegative nelliesā€? You always allude to certain people but never actually say who, so either you donā€™t have the balls to just call someone out or you are just trying to use it for effect?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #1100: Aug 08, 2022 01:25:07 pm
      Just read the club interesting in Inter's 29 year-old midfielder Marcelo Brozovic. Inter want Firmino including in a deal.
      The source is not a reliable one but it's me that very excited to every news of us looking to for a midfielder. Injries to our players now really need addressing imo.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #1101: Aug 08, 2022 02:59:45 pm
      Just read the club interesting in Inter's 29 year-old midfielder Marcelo Brozovic. Inter want Firmino including in a deal.
      The source is not a reliable one but it's me that very excited to every news of us looking to for a midfielder. Injries to our players now really need addressing imo.

JĆ¼rgen has already said he's not going to "solve a four week problem with a transfer for a full season" so unless we have key players go down with long-term injuries i do not see us going in the market. We'll see how long Thiago is out for and Ox doesn't really matter all that much since he's dead last in the depth chart anyway.
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #1102: Aug 08, 2022 04:36:00 pm
      Hi to All, I'm new here.

I agree that we cannot throw at every problem that comes our way. That's United's approach and look where they are 😂😂😂😂😂

I do think that signing a centre mid now isn't throwing money at a four week problem. We have a list of players in that position who are continuesly getting injured.

1. Thiago
      2. Keita
      3. Ox
      4. Fab

This leaves Hendo, Milly, Jones, Harvey and Carvalho.

Hendo's form has been really bad for the last 12/15 games. Business end of last season he went missing (as did many). Milly is the wrong side of 30 to start every game. Jones seems to not be pushing on and wanting to grab that starting spot. Harvey and Carvalho are too young to expect them to spearhead Liverpool FC's midfield.

This is my argument for why we need to sign a new cm or we're risking this season leaving us without winning the league again.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,193 posts | 1205 
      Reply #1103: Aug 08, 2022 11:21:34 pm
      We will still challenge for the major honours but I think we should have been a bit more ruthless with some of the fringe players to give us the best possible chance in a season of fine margins.

If they were on the open market the likes of Ox, Keita and Jones end up at second or third tier clubs IMO and when you factor in the age and injury proneness of our first choice options we need better back up.

People talked about Tielemans a while back and he seems to be there for the taking with one year left on his deal and Leicester seemingly needing to sell to buy. There are a host of other CMs who've moved clubs this window. If a midfielder makes sense in 6 to 12 months time it also makes sense now.

Quick Reply