Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Scouting talk

Read 310499 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Scouting talk
      Reply #2093: Feb 01, 2023 03:12:23 pm
      We've singed forwards though. Not as if we haven't signed footballers over the last couple years.

The manager was happy with his midfield for the most part over the last few seasons

I think Klopp (not unlike me) overestimated the toll the last few seasons has taken collectively. I was pretty content with midfield last summer when I thought everyone was going to be healthy and available. But alas, I'm not a top level manager or scout so maybe Klopp got it wrong on this one. We probably should have cut ties with Ox and Keita last summer and brought in one or two as replacements.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2094: Feb 01, 2023 03:19:11 pm
      I think Klopp (not unlike me) overestimated the toll the last few seasons has taken collectively. I was pretty content with midfield last summer when I thought everyone was going to be healthy and available. But alas, I'm not a top level manager or scout so maybe Klopp got it wrong on this one. We probably should have cut ties with Ox and Keita last summer and brought in one or two as replacements.

Yep. I was the same.

If he has learnt that lesson all will be good in the summer as I expect he'll be able to sign at least two CM.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2095: Feb 01, 2023 03:27:05 pm
      Yep. I was the same.

If he has learnt that lesson all will be good in the summer as I expect he'll be able to sign at least two CM.

And hopefully two that don't get injured. I feel like Diaz and Jota didn't have prior injury issues, so that makes me wonder why players come to this club and then start having issues. Now Thiago seems to have been pretty resilient this year but otherwise, it seems like we having the same issues over and over.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #2096: Feb 01, 2023 03:28:44 pm
      We've singed forwards though. Not as if we haven't signed footballers over the last couple years.

The manager was happy with his midfield for the most part over the last few seasons

I fail to see how any manager could be happy with his teams under achievements in the time you state, under achievements largely down to the midfield situation.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2097: Feb 01, 2023 03:31:02 pm
      It will be bellingham in the summer.

Then some wheeling and dealing to add another CB & MF.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2098: Feb 01, 2023 03:31:52 pm

This and the clusterfuk of injuries that have hampered us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2099: Feb 01, 2023 03:33:15 pm
      Madness, indeed. Trent is 24yo and an elite, PROVEN talent.

This team does not need this big rebuild some are saying. A couple quality adds and off we go.

Looks like a lot of posters here were drama students back in school.

Can you ever just discuss things without making snidey comments. You come across as a 12 year old.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2100: Feb 01, 2023 03:33:47 pm
      I fail to see how any manager could be happy with his teams under achievements in the time you state, under achievements largely down to the midfield situation.

He was though. Pretty sure he said as much a few times as well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2101: Feb 01, 2023 03:41:28 pm

I'll be completely honest, it would be hard to look at the team that had the quad in their sights and turn around and say "I don't think they are good enough to compete for even one big trophy next season". So I get that. But at the same time, it's pretty obvious now that was the wrong assessment of the situation. So WHOEVER's job it was to look at the team and say to themselves "Even though could have won everything with this squad, it still needs turned over"....they got it wrong.

I can sit here and say I got it wrong because it doesn't matter what I think, but someone got it wrong and whoever that was, hopefully if they are still at the club, they don't get it wrong again. The winter window didn't fill me with much hope that we learned anything though (even though I knew full well we wouldn't be buying any midfielders).
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2102: Feb 01, 2023 03:41:30 pm
      This and the clusterfuk of injuries that have hampered us.

Our midfield injuries were inevitable though after years of super high demand performance under Klopp to achieve what we have. They are all burnt out. Freshening the midfield was an absolute necessity in the Summer but was not addressed. Now we are where we are.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #2103: Feb 01, 2023 03:41:44 pm

Yep - he stated it clearly and when they were bringing in players they had chances to bring in midfielders but bought in other areas
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #2104: Feb 01, 2023 03:42:53 pm

The manager plays ball with FSG if he doesn't he gets the bullet, simple as.
      Jürgen knows the score and is aware of how ruthless they can be in disposing of managers, he wants to do the best for LFC but if he's not involved what can he do.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #2105: Feb 01, 2023 04:34:07 pm

I’m not ready to write them off yet and yes I think that the sheer number of games over the last 18 months has taken its toil

Hence why a good rest this summer will be great for them both and then go again next season alongside new players so they aren’t played week in week out

If you bring in a Bellingham plus say Nunes or Mount etc

You would then have 8 options for 3 roles and plenty of chances to keep players fresh
      I do see Hendo staying and perhaps taking over the Mily role. The biggest reason I see him staying is to lure Jude in. Would be shifty of us to use hus friend as a selling point and then sale him. However, Hendo doesn't need to play in big games anymore. I mean he isn't atm, and next year he will be another year older. Keep him on the way WH did with Noble. Allow him to lead in the clubhouse. But, I'd like to see him take a wage cut to do this......

Nunes or Mount with Jude is prolly a pipe dream under FSG, but I'd love to see it. The kid I referenced from Fulham would be awesome and not terribly expensive
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #2106: Feb 01, 2023 04:55:40 pm
      I do see Hendo staying and perhaps taking over the Mily role. The biggest reason I see him staying is to lure Jude in. Would be shifty of us to use hus friend as a selling point and then sale him. However, Hendo doesn't need to play in big games anymore. I mean he isn't atm, and next year he will be another year older. Keep him on the way WH did with Noble. Allow him to lead in the clubhouse. But, I'd like to see him take a wage cut to do this......

Nunes or Mount with Jude is prolly a pipe dream under FSG, but I'd love to see it. The kid I referenced from Fulham would be awesome and not terribly expensive

Can’t see any issues with Henderson moving into a more senior role but he will still play games and certainly won’t be taking any wage cuts
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2023 06:23:00 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2107: Feb 01, 2023 06:03:30 pm

Then he wouldn’t have tried so hard to bring in Touchemani but ended up with Melo!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2108: Feb 01, 2023 09:06:29 pm
      The plan was Tchouemeni in 2022 and Bellingham in 2023 so at the very least we need two top midfielders ready to walk into the team next summer. You could argue one more given the spectacular decline in form for both Fabinho and Henderson although we might be ok if Bajcetic continues to impress in the next few months.

If Ramsay doesn't get some game time between now and May to show what he's about then a new right back is an absolute must.

Centre back position looks quite weak now as well with Gomez and Matip going backwards and Nat surely deserves his move in the summer.

Need to stop being daft and wasting a foreign player slot on Adrian and get a third choice homegrown keeper (hopefully Kelleher is happy to stay to avoid another headache there).

We need 5-6 IMO but it won't be happening in one window under the current ownership unless at least a couple are on frees.

Still find it absolutely astonishing that it will be two years before we sign the midfielders we needed the moment Gini left!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2109: Feb 01, 2023 09:21:24 pm
      The plan was Tchouemeni in 2022 and Bellingham in 2023 so at the very least we need two top midfielders ready to walk into the team next summer. You could argue one more given the spectacular decline in form for both Fabinho and Henderson although we might be ok if Bajcetic continues to impress in the next few months.

If Ramsay doesn't get some game time between now and May to show what he's about then a new right back is an absolute must.

Centre back position looks quite weak now as well with Gomez and Matip going backwards and Nat surely deserves his move in the summer.

Need to stop being daft and wasting a foreign player slot on Adrian and get a third choice homegrown keeper (hopefully Kelleher is happy to stay to avoid another headache there).

We need 5-6 IMO but it won't be happening in one window under the current ownership unless at least a couple are on frees.

Still find it absolutely astonishing that it will be two years before we sign the midfielders we needed the moment Gini left!

Adrian taking up that spot is silly you're 100% right.

For all the game time he'll ever see it's pointless.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #2110: Feb 02, 2023 01:06:25 am
      Isco is available on a free right now!
      Personally I would take a punt.
      By the time he gets injured we might have a few players back to fitness.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2111: Feb 02, 2023 01:32:52 am

He’s available on a free? I’d absolutely give him a look.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #2112: Feb 02, 2023 08:08:19 am
      He’s available on a free? I’d absolutely give him a look.
      Apart from the fact that I've never been impressed with him at Madrid, that his work rate is pretty bad and that he is pretty slow, he is also out injured a lot and he just failed a move to Union Berlin after he had agreed terms with the club and him and his agent then tried to squeeze them for more after the medical (basically backtracking on the terms they agreed earlier).

Hard pass for me. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #2113: Feb 02, 2023 08:46:35 am

It’s because he has been shocking for 18 months plus and he was that bad at Seville they ripped up his contract
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2114: Feb 02, 2023 09:24:59 am

Hard pass on Isco.

Talented but extremely lazy player Klopp would never have him here.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2115: Feb 02, 2023 09:25:50 am
      Our midfield injuries were inevitable though after years of super high demand performance under Klopp to achieve what we have. They are all burnt out. Freshening the midfield was an absolute necessity in the Summer but was not addressed. Now we are where we are.

Well klopp never seen it that way, he thought he had plenty MF options. the fall off in certain players has taken a lot by surprise.

Anyway, we are where we are, it will be what it will be. :)
      « Last Edit: Feb 02, 2023 09:31:27 am by brezipool »

Quick Reply