Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Scouting talk

Read 321825 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Re: Scouting talk
      Reply #2760: May 27, 2023 03:31:08 pm
      I hope you are right about doing our business quick, not because what I want, I want now, but because in a  Klopp team, having a full preseason to get integrated with the team, the system, etc., is vitally important (probably this is true with every team but JĆ¼rgen is always talking about the sheer importance of training to get the team ready). That gives us just over 30 days to get anybody in or out.

But JĆ¼rgen just made a comment that it might take time. You do want the transfer people to be careful with the club's money. A few million here or there on a fees (both in and out) can add up over time - it is important.

I suspect there will be some deals announced quickly after the season finishes and then there will be a few sorted later during the off season. But think most of the transfers will be sorted before pre season
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #2761: May 27, 2023 03:32:50 pm
      Clearly Chelsea owners didnā€™t back the coaches enough because if they had they wouldnā€™t be that far down the table since net spend is the only determinant of future success.  ;D

Itā€™s amusing how ā€œthe table doesnā€™t lieā€ yet highlight the club with the biggest season spend in history is bottom half table then itā€™s a different reaction.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,137 posts | 1081 
      Reply #2762: May 27, 2023 03:35:06 pm
      Watching Gravenberch right now. He doesn't seem ready at all.
      Not saying your not right, as I'm watching hing the Dortmund game (and their blowing it). Bit I just wanna hear you say something positive about someone other than Jude 🤣
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #2763: May 27, 2023 03:36:51 pm
      Not saying your not right, as I'm watching hing the Dortmund game (and their blowing it). Bit I just wanna hear you say something positive about someone other than Jude 🤣

Why were Reyna, Jude and Reus all on the bench to start the game? Injuries?
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,601 posts | 139 
      Reply #2764: May 27, 2023 03:39:13 pm

I don't mind Mac Allister or any PL midfielder. I just want us to stay away from the Bundesligua unless it's an obvious talent.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,601 posts | 139 
      Reply #2765: May 27, 2023 03:39:38 pm

Injuries.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2766: May 27, 2023 03:40:10 pm

Has to be the case for Jude and Reus. Reyna rarely starts.

Gravenberch I don't think has been a regular starter either, but it says something that he is in the lineup in the biggest game of the season. I'm watch the Dortmund game mostly though so I can't comment on him.

Nothing like train wreck TV. Gonna be sad night in Dortmund.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #2767: May 27, 2023 03:41:47 pm
      I don't mind Mac Allister or any PL midfielder. I just want us to stay away from the Bundesligua unless it's an obvious talent.

Whatā€™s wrong with players from the Bundesliga ?
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,601 posts | 139 
      Reply #2768: May 27, 2023 03:46:19 pm
      Whatā€™s wrong with players from the Bundesliga ?

Not many players from the Bundesligua do well in the Premier league. Their league is too open which doesn't translate well in the PL. There is a reason why we are priatorisng players from the PL.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #2769: May 27, 2023 03:51:13 pm
      Not many players from the Bundesligua do well in the Premier league. Their league is too open which doesn't translate well in the PL. There is a reason why we are priatorisng players from the PL.

Son
      Bobby
      KDB
      Sane
      Gundogen
      Matip
      Aubameyang
      De Jong
      Kompany
      Haaland
      Havertz
      Dzeko
      Ballack
      Babbel

Plenty of players have done well coming from Germany , itā€™s no different to any country - there will always be some players that donā€™t work out and the quality will shine through.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #2770: May 27, 2023 04:02:48 pm
      Iā€™m rooting for Dortmund to pull it off but if they donā€™t the selfish part of me will be happy because thatā€™ll mean JĆ¼rgen is still the last (only?) coach to bring them a title.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 849 
      Reply #2771: May 27, 2023 04:14:49 pm
      Problem is when our targets (although that should probably be singular) decides to go elsewhere we've not had credible alternatives. Melo on deadline day is not it and reeks or either arrogance or ineptitude in our transfer department.
      For the past two seasons, for the midfield, we haven't had any alternatives actually. We wanted Tchouameni, but he signed for RM and we decided there was no ''available'' alternative'' only to discover this year that the unavailable alternative is now out of reach and that we had waited so long we now need multiple signings in midfield.

They can't get it wrong this summer. Like I said, its already going to be a hard start to the season for the midfield because the players we get will start or, at least, have a much more prominent role than any new signing would have in that squad. This is less than ideal. That period where you ease in the new signings is not going to be there this season.

I agree with you. There are questions marks over our transfer business in the past 2 seasons. Maybe not the whole thing, but some of it at the very least. For example, you've got to wonder about Gravenberch. Assuming the persistent rumours are true and we always wanted him, why was he allowed to go to Bayern with nothing done on our part? If you have targets that you value them very much then sometimes you have to move earlier than you'd like. I don't mind if its a regular target, you wanna move for him in a year's time, but can afford to look at alternatives if he moves before that, but that's not the case since we are now reportedly going to knock on Bayern's door which indicates we really really wanted him (doesn't look like very sound transfer business/behaviour).
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,137 posts | 1081 
      Reply #2772: May 27, 2023 05:40:18 pm
      I know Jude has been over an injury. Not sure about the others
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #2773: May 27, 2023 10:12:51 pm
       PSG are in for Ugarte now.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,601 posts | 139 
      Reply #2774: May 28, 2023 08:32:06 am
      What happened to Ruben Neves ? We were linked with him.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2775: May 28, 2023 10:38:21 am
      Thing is I agree with you that questions need to be asked about Bellingham. And when I say ''Bellingham'' I mean the whole fiasco that it is/was from top to bottom. The two years of waiting for ''our target'' while casually not doing anything for the midfield, the ''we are saving money for Bellingham'' followed by the ''he's too expensive'' and now potentially, a deal on the verge of being struck by Madrid that I don't have the details of but looks, potentially, more than affordable for a team that saved for 2+ years to get that player. Now that this is said, I don't have the details of that Madrid deal so it might be 87m upfront and a shitload of money in bonuses of all sorts that brings it to an incredibly high number.

With that said, as stupid as it may sound, I have to agree with the club about pulling out of the Bellingham race. Like I said above, that doesn't mean that they were right about this whole thing or that we shouldn't ask questions. It simply means that they let the problem in midfield get to a point where we need 2 or 3 midfielders to fix the ship and that simply won't happen in the same summer you're buying Bellingham for a ton of money because we have a limited budget.

So what I'm saying is that we've gone through the Bellingham anger a bit earlier in the year and its not changing anything, he's not coming here. What we need to be focused on right now is this upcoming transfer window where 2 or 3 midfielders are needed and not just any midfielders. We have to be spot on. The sad truth is that those midfielders will have to come in and become starters pretty early in the season which is never ideal because it takes time for players to gel with the others and learn the way we play. So we can't afford for those guys, on top of what I just said, to end up being average players.

Let's just focus on our window and forget about Bellingham. What's done is done and constantly fighting each other about it won't change anything other than make it harder for us to discuss the actual task at hand.

Might just be me but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen anything from the club officially stating that we are/were indeed chasing down Jude Bellingham,

Being a sought after potentially world class player every man and their dog would have a interest in his services, LFC included, however itā€™s not rocket science is it to assume that whilst we have a ageing midfield and a inevitability that we would need to strengthen players of the Jude Bellingham variety would obviously be linked, mainly though thru frenzied click baiting,

So when LFC made known that our particular interest in said player had died, it wasnā€™t because we didnā€™t want him, itā€™s such that his valuation went through the inevitable roof way way beyond what FSG would be prepared to pay for a single individual, Simples, and tbf to them a sensible decision,

If indeed RM spunk up the Ā£87m just to prize him away from BvB, then what amount of dollar would it take to sign him, length of contract, wages etc ? no one knows except that whatever it is itā€™s way beyond our means, at a guess, more than likely upwards of Ā£150m - thatā€™s three, high end quality midfield players we could have instead of just one,

So for me itā€™s simple, we are just one of the other 17 clubs in our league who donā€™t have the financial clout of a RM, or in our situation a Man City, Chelsea or a Newcastle Utd,

Itā€™s right we need to focus on who comes in, unless your head has been stuck up the Ostrichā€™ arse the last few weeks, the announcement that Bobby, Naby, Ox, Jimmy are going, Melo definitely too, thatā€™s Five players moving on, and obviously need replacing, so after today our last of what has been a totally fu**ed up campaign we can all exhale a massive sigh of relief and scream out very very very LOUDLY, THANK F**k FOR THAT !!!!

Then all our focus will then turn towards the ā€˜Scoutingā€™ boards and the click clickety clicks of the click baiting wankers!!

YNWA

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 849 
      Reply #2776: May 28, 2023 02:14:26 pm

Might just be me but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen anything from the club officially stating that we are/were indeed chasing down Jude Bellingham,

Being a sought after potentially world class player every man and their dog would have a interest in his services, LFC included, however itā€™s not rocket science is it to assume that whilst we have a ageing midfield and a inevitability that we would need to strengthen players of the Jude Bellingham variety would obviously be linked, mainly though thru frenzied click baiting,

So when LFC made known that our particular interest in said player had died, it wasnā€™t because we didnā€™t want him, itā€™s such that his valuation went through the inevitable roof way way beyond what FSG would be prepared to pay for a single individual, Simples, and tbf to them a sensible decision,

If indeed RM spunk up the Ā£87m just to prize him away from BvB, then what amount of dollar would it take to sign him, length of contract, wages etc ? no one knows except that whatever it is itā€™s way beyond our means, at a guess, more than likely upwards of Ā£150m - thatā€™s three, high end quality midfield players we could have instead of just one,

So for me itā€™s simple, we are just one of the other 17 clubs in our league who donā€™t have the financial clout of a RM, or in our situation a Man City, Chelsea or a Newcastle Utd,

Itā€™s right we need to focus on who comes in, unless your head has been stuck up the Ostrichā€™ arse the last few weeks, the announcement that Bobby, Naby, Ox, Jimmy are going, Melo definitely too, thatā€™s Five players moving on, and obviously need replacing, so after today our last of what has been a totally fu**ed up campaign we can all exhale a massive sigh of relief and scream out very very very LOUDLY, THANK F**k FOR THAT !!!!

Then all our focus will then turn towards the ā€˜Scoutingā€™ boards and the click clickety clicks of the click baiting wankers!!

YNWA
      I mostly agree with you Billy. The only thing I would add to this is that we know for a fact that news don't come out of the club without the club knowing its coming out or even directly feeding it to a handful of journalists (Joyce and Pearce come to mind). What was said for two summers in a row was that we were saving money and waiting for Jude. My issue with this doesn't come from the fact we haven't moved for Jude at the end. I personally don't mind it at all. For all I care, get me people I haven't heard of a single time in my life for whatever price and at whatever wages. As long as the end result is that the player is quality and will help improve the team, I'm on board and won't have a single complaint to sound. My problem is that, like you said, its not rocket science to understand that Jude was gonna go for big money yet we spent 2 years watching our midfield decay and then we come out in February and say, essentially, ''oh we're not gonna move for Jude because we actually need more than 1 player to fix the hole we've been watching grow for 2 years''.

Its not Bellingham, its the idea that at the end of the day we got neither him or sensible squad rejuvenation/upgrade (call it what you want) which ultimately led to the sh*t we've seen this year.

Its one thing to take the sensible decision of pulling out of the race for him because the situation calls for that and its another when you've engineered, yourself, the hole/situation you're in and then you come out and tell me ''the sensible thing to do is to get a rope and start thinking about getting out of that hole''. Of course its the sensible thing to do, but why have we reached that point if not for baffling decision making for 2 straight years all enabled by that false narrative you sold to the fans (and I insist on the club being the one that sold that not journos) that our midfield was just fine and that we only need one body and we're saving for Bellingham to fill that role.
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #2777: May 28, 2023 02:27:04 pm
      Price appears to be lower than expected so can only think he gave us a clear indication he favoured RM and we moved on
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 849 
      Reply #2778: May 28, 2023 02:45:16 pm
      Price appears to be lower than expected so can only think he gave us a clear indication he favoured RM and we moved on
      Or its 87m on paper, but the wages are insane, the agent fee is even more insane, the father fee (its a thing now) is also insane. You've got to remember that Haaland cost less than Nunez on paper, but like 3x the price of Nunez when you add the two fees I mentioned above and we're talking stratospheric stuff once you factor in the yearly salary.
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #2779: May 28, 2023 02:48:54 pm
      Or its 87m on paper, but the wages are insane, the agent fee is even more insane, the father fee (its a thing now) is also insane. You've got to remember that Haaland cost less than Nunez on paper, but like 3x the price of Nunez when you add the two fees I mentioned above and we're talking stratospheric stuff once you factor in the yearly salary.

Guess will never know but it can't be ruled out his preferred  choice wasn't us even before fees discussed
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,601 posts | 139 
      Reply #2780: May 28, 2023 06:58:30 pm
      Madisson please. He will be cheap and homegrown instead of spending 80 million for a player who want higher wages.
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #2781: May 28, 2023 07:05:13 pm
      All eyes on this board now going to have to be very good window to get us back . Pretty sure will.be a min of 4 in
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #2782: May 28, 2023 07:08:45 pm
      Madisson please. He will be cheap and homegrown instead of spending 80 million for a player who want higher wages.

He's a bit soft tbh, same as Mount.

Maybe Tielamens but he's slow so not sure on his either.

Quick Reply