Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Scouting talk

Read 310503 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Scouting talk
      Reply #2898: Jun 04, 2023 10:49:44 pm
      Talking about the mancs tactics in this thread?

I demand deletions mods. ;D

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #2899: Jun 05, 2023 09:54:39 am
      We are linked with Gabri Veiga release clause is apparently 40 million euros.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2900: Jun 05, 2023 10:00:16 am

Watched him last night against Barcelona, his two goals kept Celta Vigo up.
      Quality player.

On a different note, looks like Newcastle are in for Dominik Szoboszlai.
      Think he'll be quality wherever he ends up.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #2901: Jun 05, 2023 12:25:26 pm
      I wouldn’t say sadly   :lmao: I’m just trying to convince myself if we get an over priced Mount we could get Rice. They both go on holiday together so proper pals.

Has Rice been linked with you?

No ... he's 'too expensive for us'
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #2902: Jun 05, 2023 12:30:37 pm
      The problem we see facing is the homegrown talent rule.  We are losing Ox and Millie from the squad.  Hendo is on his last legs.  Gomez isn't good enough after his injury a couple seasons ago.  Phillips has never really been good enough.  It's feasible we lose 3 more homegrown players in the next 1-2 years and they will need to be replaced.  That's why I thought a move for Mount made some sense as he is a quality player, in a position we need to strengthen, a good age, and fills one of the homegrown slots.  I'm nor overly concerned if we don't sign him, but we can't only be looking at foreigners at the moment.....

Which is why I'd take ward prowse in a heartbeat. I think he's a good player with good qualities .... in our price range.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2903: Jun 05, 2023 12:43:22 pm

Veiga’s agent is Pep’s brother.

I think he’ll be nailed on for City if Gundogan leaves.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #2904: Jun 05, 2023 12:52:13 pm
      Which is why I'd take ward prowse in a heartbeat. I think he's a good player with good qualities .... in our price range.

So you dismiss MacAllister out of hand as not being good enough but would take Ward Prowse 🤦‍♂️
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2905: Jun 05, 2023 02:51:36 pm
      No ... he's 'too expensive for us'

Not worth what there asking for sure...
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #2906: Jun 07, 2023 02:18:24 pm
      I see some talk of Gabri Veiga. I haven't watched the player before so I went and did the good old ''watch a few videos on youtube'' + I read a bit about him and from what I can tell, I don't see him as a player that would fit in our team. Too much of a CAM type of midfielder. I think you can be a CAM and play CM in Spain, but that doesn't work in England and much less in that team.

We play a 4-3-3 where the CDM is a classic destroyer and he's flanked by two box-to-box midfielders. Think of all our midfielder under Klopp in recent times and they all fit the box-to-box description more than any other description. It doesn't mean that one of those two midfielders can't be good at carrying the ball or more technical in offensive areas of his game. However, that player has to have the lungs to go up and down the pitch all game long, the agression to press hard for 90 minutes and be good enough to win the ball back many times every game. From what I've seen and read I don't see it in this kid. For this reason, I'll say this is purely journos talking nonsense. With that said, I might be wrong.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2907: Jun 07, 2023 03:10:49 pm
      On a different note, looks like Newcastle are in for Dominik Szoboszlai.
      Think he'll be quality wherever he ends up.

I love this kid. Admittedly haven't watched a huge amount but find him so classy every time I do see him play. Thought he was one of RB Leipzig's best players in the cup final, and that was before he went and scored a goal.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #2908: Jun 08, 2023 07:23:34 am
      Amrabat from Fiorentina. Were’nt we linked with him after he shone for Morocco in the World Cup?  Top deep lying midfielder.  Looked impressive in last night’s final.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #2909: Jun 08, 2023 10:31:04 am
      Both Rice and Caicedo are available. We should be all over Caicedo he's exactly what we need
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2910: Jun 08, 2023 10:39:04 am
      I love this kid. Admittedly haven't watched a huge amount but find him so classy every time I do see him play. Thought he was one of RB Leipzig's best players in the cup final, and that was before he went and scored a goal.

There was mention that RB Leipzig are interested in Carvalho.
      Would be mad if the club isn't looking at some kind of deal there.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #2911: Jun 08, 2023 11:34:44 am
      So you dismiss MacAllister out of hand as not being good enough but would take Ward Prowse 🤦‍♂️

I also think ward prowse would be a good addition. Depands on the fee offourse but he will certainly strengthen our squad. Tidy player imo.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2912: Jun 08, 2023 12:26:34 pm
      There was mention that RB Leipzig are interested in Carvalho.
      Would be mad if the club isn't looking at some kind of deal there.

We have rejected an offer of about €12m from Leipzig for Carvalho apparently. Seems we want to loan and not sell him.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #2913: Jun 08, 2023 12:49:46 pm
      Good piece of business by the club for the MacAllister transfer. Reasonable price and the transfer has been wrapped up quickly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we are the first club in England (maybe of the top 5 league even) to announce an actual transfer? Top notch really. I love when the club gets things done quickly. We needed that anyway since we have lots do this summer and so what we can get done quickly we should definitely wrap-up asap.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2914: Jun 08, 2023 05:35:23 pm
      Supposedly with the first deal done we are now. Negotiating.with Kone and Thuram.

Are they not very similar players, or would bringing them both in fit with a starting XI?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2915: Jun 08, 2023 05:39:56 pm
      Supposedly with the first deal done we are now. Negotiating.with Kone and Thuram.

Are they not very similar players, or would bringing them both in fit with a starting XI?

Thuram is a DM mostly unless I'm mistaken.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2916: Jun 08, 2023 05:57:18 pm

This is the way I see it, Thuram will be long term Fabinho replacement, MacAllister long term Thiago/Hendo replacement, and Kone long term Keita/Milner replacement. Hendo, Fabinho, and Thiago will be used more as squad players next couple of seasons until they finish their time with the club.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #2917: Jun 08, 2023 06:11:42 pm
      I see some talk of Gabri Veiga. I haven't watched the player before so I went and did the good old ''watch a few videos on youtube'' + I read a bit about him and from what I can tell, I don't see him as a player that would fit in our team. Too much of a CAM type of midfielder. I think you can be a CAM and play CM in Spain, but that doesn't work in England and much less in that team.

We play a 4-3-3 where the CDM is a classic destroyer and he's flanked by two box-to-box midfielders. Think of all our midfielder under Klopp in recent times and they all fit the box-to-box description more than any other description. It doesn't mean that one of those two midfielders can't be good at carrying the ball or more technical in offensive areas of his game. However, that player has to have the lungs to go up and down the pitch all game long, the agression to press hard for 90 minutes and be good enough to win the ball back many times every game. From what I've seen and read I don't see it in this kid. For this reason, I'll say this is purely journos talking nonsense. With that said, I might be wrong.
      I agree. Veiga looks very slight and it's doubtful whether his skill alone would be enough to compensate for the lack of physicality, especially in the PL which is much more physical than La Liga. As you pointed out he also doesn't seem to be a box-to-box type that typically thrives in Klopp's midfield.

Maybe worth noting that Fabio Carvalho is also more of a smallish AM and he hasn't exactly worked out in Klopp's system either. 
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #2918: Jun 08, 2023 06:40:55 pm
      Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it looks to me like there's only space in the team for one more non-homegrown addition, presumably a midfielder, as per the list below.

That said, even with one additional non-homegrown player there would still be space for 3 more homegrown players (or just 2 with Uefa squads in mind which require 4/8 homegrown places to be club-trained as well).

Non-homegrown- up to 17:

1) Alisson
      2) Adrian
      3) Van Dijk
      4) Matip
      5) Konate
      6) Robertson
      7) Tsimikas
      8 ) Fabinho
      9) Thiago
      10) Mac Allister
      11) Salah
      12) Nunez
      13) Gakpo
      14) Jota
      15) Diaz
      16) Ramsay
      17) ??

Homegrown (*denotes club-trained) - up to 8 (Uefa requires 4 of 8 to be club-trained too):

18) Kelleher*
      19) Gomez
      20) Trent*
      21) Henderson
      22) Jones*
      23) ??
      24) ??
      25) ??

U21
      Elliott*
      Bajcetic
      Carvalho (probably leaving)

It's essentially Firmino and Keita out, and Mac Allister plus one more in. Milner and Ox will need to be replaced by homegrown players.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #2919: Jun 08, 2023 06:48:56 pm
      Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it looks to me like there's only space in the team for one more non-homegrown addition, presumably a midfielder, as per the list below.

That said, even with one additional non-homegrown player there would still be space for 3 more homegrown players (or just 2 with Uefa squads in mind which require 4/8 homegrown places to be club-trained as well).

Non-homegrown- up to 17:

1) Alisson
      2) Adrian
      3) Van Dijk
      4) Matip
      5) Konate
      6) Robertson
      7) Tsimikas
      8 ) Fabinho
      9) Thiago
      10) Mac Allister
      11) Salah
      12) Nunez
      13) Gakpo
      14) Jota
      15) Diaz
      16) Ramsay
      17) ??

Homegrown (*denotes club-trained) - up to 8 (Uefa requires 4 of 8 to be club-trained too):

18) Kelleher*
      19) Gomez
      20) Trent*
      21) Henderson
      22) Jones*
      23) ??
      24) ??
      25) ??

U21
      Elliott*
      Bajcetic
      Carvalho (probably leaving)

It's essentially Firmino and Keita out, and Mac Allister plus one more in. Milner and Ox will need to be replaced by homegrown players.

Don’t think Ramsey counts

Arthur also took up a spot so three have been emptied

Also suspect Matip and Kostas may well leave
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2920: Jun 08, 2023 06:56:21 pm
      We can sign 2 more foreign players as it stands right now. After that, any more signings would have to be “homegrown”. 

Premier League Rules
      Source: PL Website (stolen from Reddit)

A squad can contain no more than 17 players who do not fulfil "Home Grown Player" criteria.
      The remainder of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be home grown.
      A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).
      If you don't have a Home-Grown Player, you can simply begin the season with 17 foreign players. If you want more players on your squad, up to a maximum of 25, they need to be home grown. So it is not a strict rule but given the number of matches and expected injuries, it is fair to expect each team will wish to utilize the 25-player limit by filling the squad with 8 home-grown players.

CL/EL/ECL Rules
      European competitions have a stricter version of this rule. You can read the exact wording here at official UEFA site. I will paraphrase it below.

Maximum Squad Size: 25
      Minimum Club-Trained players: 4
      Minimum Association-Trained players: 8
      Once again, there is no strict requirement. Just roll up with 17 foreign players, leave the other spots blank and the club is free to participate in the competition. The rules here make a distinction between "Club-Trained" and "Association-Trained" players.

Association-Trained players are Home-Grown players as above(with the exception that Welsh players no longer count as Association-Trained unless they played under FA pyramid; because Wales has a different Association; this exception shouldn't matter to top clubs anyway).

Club-Trained is the same definition as Home-Grown except the player had to spend their formative years at the specific club. This is to encourage academy investment and use, and mitigate top clubs just buying Association-Trained players and calling it a day.

Exceptions
      Each competition further has exceptions on adding youngsters.

PL allows registering unlimited number of U-21 players, i.e. they do not take a spot on the squad list if they were born on or after January 1, 2002 (for season starting 2023)
      CL/EL/ECL allows registering unlimited number of U-21 players IF they have been at the club for at least 2 years, starting from their 15th birthday.
      LFC Squad
      Foreign Player

1. Alisson
      2. Adrian
      3. van Dijk
      4. Konate
      5. Matip
      6. Robertson
      7. Tsimikas
      8. Fabinho
      9. Thiago
      10. MacAllister
      11. Jota
      12. Gakpo
      13. Diaz
      14.  Nunez
      15. Salah

Club-Trained (also Home-Grown) Player
      1. Trent
      2. Joe
      3. Kelleher
      4. Jones

Association-Trained (also Home-Grown) Player
      1. Hendo

Special Cases

Calvin Ramsay
      Will not take a spot for next season in PL; however needs to be registered for UEFA as foreign-player
      Will take a foreign-player spot in PL 2024/25 and beyond due to PL definition of season being "from the day the summer transfer window closes to the last league match of the season" (Source: PL Handbook) ; Will also take a foreign player slot for UEFA
      Will qualify as club-trained player in CL/EL/ECL 2025/26 & beyond if PL 2025/26 starts in August due to UEFA definition saying "the season immediately following his 21st birthday may be counted if his birthday is on or after 1 July (winter championships) or 1 January (summer championships) but before the first match of the relevant national championship." (Ramsay's birthday is July 31; rule source is UEFA document)

Harvey Elliott
      Qualifies as Club-Trained(and Home-Grown) starting this summer for both PL and UEFA.
      Does not need to be registered on either list for next season since he is still U-21

Stefan Bajcetic
      Qualifies as Club-Trained(and Home-Grown) starting this summer for both PL and UEFA.
      Does not need to be registered on either list for next season since he is still U-21

Fabio Carvalho
      Continues to qualify as Association-Trained(and Home-Grown) as usual
      Will never qualify as Club-Trained in the future due to being signed a year late

Transfer Options

Current Squad Size: 20 (+2 in Elliott/Bajcetic who are club-trained but do not need to be registered for next season; +1 in Ramsay who is a complicated case; not counting Carvalho since it seems he is set to leave)
      Foreign Spots available: 2 (if 2 new foreign signings do come in, Ramsay cannot be registered for Europe)
      Homegrown spots: 6 club-trained players in Trent/Curtis/Kelleher/Joe/Harvey/Bajcetic starting from summer 2024 + 1 homegrown player in Hendo. Can always be supplemented with academy players if someone steps up to senior squad(or the old reliable in Nat and Rhys if they stay)

Contracts expiring in 2024: Adrian, Matip, Thiago
      Contracts expiring in 2025: Trent, Salah, VVD, Hendo, Tsimikas, Nat Phillips

Quick Reply