Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

You and Liverpool: Why?

Read 5922 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Re: You and Liverpool: Why?
      Reply #69: Mar 11, 2021 08:14:58 pm
      I had a short wave radio and would listen to BBC World Service commentary of 2nd half of games on Saturday mornings (over here). Always loved the sounds on medium wave (AM) of the crowd as backdrop to the comms.

Loved that too. Had an analogue radio that was ancient even by the early to mid 00s. The hiss and interference seemed to add atmosphere. Oddly, at around 9pm my radio, when tuned to 5 live, would pick up a very faint rendition of the Russian national anthem. I can only guess it was some state Russian radio station closing down at midnight!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #70: Mar 11, 2021 08:23:18 pm
      I had a short wave radio and would listen to BBC World Service commentary of 2nd half of games on Saturday mornings (over here). Always loved the sounds on medium wave (AM) of the crowd as backdrop to the comms.

Just wondering if Jordan Pickford has a short wave radio 😂 😂 😂
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #71: Mar 11, 2021 09:57:57 pm
      Loved that too. Had an analogue radio that was ancient even by the early to mid 00s. The hiss and interference seemed to add atmosphere. Oddly, at around 9pm my radio, when tuned to 5 live, would pick up a very faint rendition of the Russian national anthem. I can only guess it was some state Russian radio station closing down at midnight!

Spent a summer on the Jersey in the late 80s and used to always get Russian radio bleeding into just about every frequency on AM during the night. Later on it was the same for the lower half of the AM band (about 530 to 800) only it was coming up from Cuba. Old Fidel apparently wasn't worried about any 50,000-watt restrictions on his transmitters. Good Rumba music and I'm sure it was some great propaganda...too bad I couldn't understand a word of it.  ;D
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #72: Mar 11, 2021 10:33:11 pm
      History vid, Team of the Decade, Beating the Blues, Goal Rush and a couple of them season reviews were all watched religiously when I was younger.

Team of the decade? Was that a BBC video with music from the Christians? I watched that over and over
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #73: Mar 12, 2021 12:49:29 pm
      Team of the decade? Was that a BBC video with music from the Christians? I watched that over and over

Deffo a BBC vid, dunno about the Christians. I'll say probably, but the old grey matter is a bit foggy on that one ;D.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #74: Mar 12, 2021 03:36:05 pm
      Deffo a BBC vid, dunno about the Christians. I'll say probably, but the old grey matter is a bit foggy on that one ;D.

Don't worry mate, you'd remember in an ideal world...
      redman2907
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 13 
      Reply #75: Mar 12, 2021 04:48:16 pm
      Born in Liverpool a stones throw away from Anfield in Bootle all those years ago and even though I'm not in Liverpool any more...well you can take the girl away from Liverpool but you'll never take Liverpool away from the girl, proud Scouser and always will be.

All my family on my Mum's side were staunch Reds, my Grandad had a massive influence on me as did my Uncle sadly passed away now but have lots of wonderful memories.

Like some of the other posters, watched the boys training at Melwood, been a Kop season ticket holder for years, been to 5 European Cup finals (the first 5) and followed the reds all over Europe and the country, met some amazing reds fans along the way including many off this forum and generally had an amazing life supporting the most fantastic club in the world.

50 pence to watch the lads from the Kop back in the day, wow, have I had some special nights on the standing swaying kop, different now of course but back then it was something else.

Was lucky enough to do the tour of Anfield end of last season with Keegan my grandson, who is of course a red  :) had our photograph taken with the Premiership, special club all round and very special fans, can't wait till were all back celebrating together, we need each other.

Be nice, we'll get through this blip and come out the other side, keep the faith Reds.....you will never walk alone, remember the good times and they will be back.

I'm good thank you I hope you are all ok to.  Be so glad when we can all go again and the Reds hit top form again.

Quite a few adventures you have had over the years following us to. 😁

Quick Reply