Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Reds drawn against Madrid in CL Quarters

Read 8750 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Reds drawn against Madrid in CL Quarters
      Reply #69: Mar 21, 2021 05:53:05 am
      Well we are looking to avenge the final where they flipped the odds in their favour. We were too naive that day and we have turned ourselves into a little bit more of smarter side since we last played them.

The difficulty is like when Ranos injured Salah we reoppose them again on unfavourable terms and in these games that are won on small moments across the ties, my worry is we are far too inexperienced defensively.

Madrid are on the way out but once again we will be fighting them with an arm tied behind our back so to speak.

I think both sides will be happy with the draw but Madrid have easily the better XI on paper.
      « Last Edit: Mar 21, 2021 06:01:10 am by fields of anny rd »
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #70: Mar 21, 2021 09:44:18 am
      Well we are looking to avenge the final where they flipped the odds in their favour. We were too naive that day and we have turned ourselves into a little bit more of smarter side since we last played them.

The difficulty is like when Ranos injured Salah we reoppose them again on unfavourable terms and in these games that are won on small moments across the ties, my worry is we are far too inexperienced defensively.

Madrid are on the way out but once again we will be fighting them with an arm tied behind our back so to speak.

I think both sides will be happy with the draw but Madrid have easily the better XI on paper.

Madrid don't have easily the better XI on paper,maybe there CB'c are better but no way the rest of the team is better,is Navas better than Ally?Is Modric (now) better than Fab?is Kroos (now) better than Thiago or Hendo?are benzema and Junior better than Salah and Mane?no way is their XI better than ours,form is temporary and class is permanent.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #71: Mar 21, 2021 10:15:53 am
      I don't hold any fear whatsoever from RM, they are living on past success and are a poor shadow of that side we faced in the final, of course they are still a decent outfit, they can still play good football but i doubt very much that they could cope with us near our best,  at 70% we would still give them major problems especially from our attack, not sure what the odds are but I'm betting we'd be slight favourites.

YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #72: Mar 21, 2021 10:22:48 am
      Madrid are a mirror image of us this year. Way off their best but struggling with injuries. Very interesting tie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #73: Mar 21, 2021 06:29:51 pm
      According to James Pearce Hendo won't make it for Real. I am OK with it. We'd need Hendo more in the semifinal or final than to bring him too quickly. As I see it if we beat Real then Phillips/Kabak will be set and trusted and they'll have confidence. Then our offense with Fab-Hendo-Thiago/Naby-Mané-Jota-Salah could be very dangerous.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #74: Mar 21, 2021 06:45:54 pm
      Madrid don't have easily the better XI on paper,maybe there CB'c are better but no way the rest of the team is better,is Navas better than Ally?Is Modric (now) better than Fab?is Kroos (now) better than Thiago or Hendo?are benzema and Junior better than Salah and Mane?no way is their XI better than ours,form is temporary and class is permanent.

It's a 50/50 tie for me.

They are stronger in defence (if Ramos is there to hold Varane's hand) and the midfielders are pretty even as we won't have Hendo. It'll come down to whether our attack will be firing by the time the tie comes around and if our centre backs can deal with Benzema who just seems to be getting better with age.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #75: Mar 21, 2021 08:19:05 pm
      It's a 50/50 tie for me.

They are stronger in defence (if Ramos is there to hold Varane's hand) and the midfielders are pretty even as we won't have Hendo. It'll come down to whether our attack will be firing by the time the tie comes around and if our centre backs can deal with Benzema who just seems to be getting better with age.

Yeah its a tough one to call, I think we'll edge it over two legs but we'll need our forwards in top form.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #76: Mar 21, 2021 09:18:15 pm
      I’ve not looked but I’d be surprised if the bookies don’t have us down as favourites.

Obviously shouldn’t be looking past them though. They have experience and know all the dark arts.

Even without hendo, we should still have more than enough energy in midfield to smother Modric, kroos and casemiro.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #77: Mar 21, 2021 09:50:21 pm
      I honestly think we'll take them apart over two legs by a bigger margin than Leipzig. They're a much declined team from the one who cheated us out of another CL trophy, and we're a different animal in Europe to the wounded and self doubting lion we are in the league.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #78: Mar 21, 2021 11:22:20 pm
      Bring these cu*ts on!!

Payback Bitches...

Mo to score 5 over the two legs and

Ramos to stand in the middle of Anfield looking as dumb and confused as Messi did on that Famous night.

Another iconic photo coming up!!!!
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #79: Mar 22, 2021 08:20:41 am
      It's a 50/50 tie for me.

I'd agree with that,most of our players i believe are better (except from our CB's)but they have a lot of experience in Europe with Navas,Ramos,Varane,Casemiro,kroos,Modric and Benzema so 50/50 is fair.i'd love to see a red for Ramos when Salah goes clear through on goal and Ramos is the last man and Salah has the slightest touch and goes down,then we go through with a dodgy penalty.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #80: Mar 22, 2021 01:56:08 pm
      Quote from hoganov
      Real Madrid. This is what the Champions League is all about. Never mind all the revenge crap.

Imagine if we had a full Bernabeu to visit and a packed Anfield for Real to tremble in. Iv a good feeling on this tie. We'll take them over two legs then we will worry about Porto or more then likely Chelsea.

So we've gone from unable to cope against Brighton and Fulham to taking Real Madrid in 2 legs. That's a long jump in a short space of time.

There is never ever ever ever ever a good time to face Real Madrid, and this isn't either. Current La Liga Champions and still in the hunt to retain it, is not bad for a team in apparant transition and turmoil. We may be great in this competition, but Real are the experts, and the masters of how to win it again and again. Zidane has won it 4 times as player and manager alone. We have lost the last 3 games against Real, and the last time we played Real over two legs, we got done 4-0 on aggregate and the home game was over by half time, as Ronaldo ran amok. As I said, there is never a good time to face Real Madrid, and there are several other sides I would rather take on instead.

Unless it's a repeat of the final, you can knock talk of revenge on the head also. The outcome in Kiev is set in stone and nothing will change it, not even shouting Scouse at Ramos, which he won't understand a syllable of. This is just about getting through to the next round, and these are currently the best teams in Europe. There are very few walkovers going once you get to this stage.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #81: Mar 22, 2021 04:16:15 pm
      So we've gone from unable to cope against Brighton and Fulham to taking Real Madrid in 2 legs. That's a long jump in a short space of time.

There is never ever ever ever ever a good time to face Real Madrid, and this isn't either. Current La Liga Champions and still in the hunt to retain it, is not bad for a team in apparant transition and turmoil. We may be great in this competition, but Real are the experts, and the masters of how to win it again and again. Zidane has won it 4 times as player and manager alone. We have lost the last 3 games against Real, and the last time we played Real over two legs, we got done 4-0 on aggregate and the home game was over by half time, as Ronaldo ran amok. As I said, there is never a good time to face Real Madrid, and there are several other sides I would rather take on instead.

Unless it's a repeat of the final, you can knock talk of revenge on the head also. The outcome in Kiev is set in stone and nothing will change it, not even shouting Scouse at Ramos, which he won't understand a syllable of. This is just about getting through to the next round, and these are currently the best teams in Europe. There are very few walkovers going once you get to this stage.

There was only Dortmund and Porto that would have been a better draw,i believe if our strikers start getting the service and start scoring we will get through,I've watched Madrid a lot this season and they are a more defensive team this season and are not scoring as freely they have done in recent seasons,take Benzema out of the game and we will win.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #82: Mar 22, 2021 09:19:33 pm
      Bring these Cu*ts on!!

Payback Bitches...

Mo to score 5 over the two legs and

Ramos to stand in the middle of Anfield looking as dumb and confused as Messi did on that Famous night.

Another iconic photo coming up!!!!

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #83: Mar 23, 2021 01:48:55 am

Looking past Madrid would be foolish. They’re an experienced side and still have good players. But it is a good time to play them without doubt.

Yes they’re in the hunt for la liga still, but that doesn’t mean too much this season. They’re 6 points behind atletico who are bang average, did you watch them against Chelsea? Chelsea battered them both home and away.

Barca are a mess and even they’re above Madrid. As soon as they came up against decent opposition in PSG look at what happened to them.

All of atletico, Barca and Madrid are in transition right now and they’re not the same sides they were 3-4 seasons ago.

You mention Brighton and Fulham, and we can also name another dozen teams if we wanted, but we are clueless against organised teams with deep defences who park the bus and let us have all the possession.

European games are totally different though. Usually, you come up against teams who want to play football, and that suits us perfectly. That’s when we are at our best. The games are open and there’s more space. We will press teams into mistakes and counter using the channels getting the best out of Trent, robbo, mane and Salah. For madrid, we certainly have the legs on them and were much more aggressive and energetic than what they are.

From the 7 sides we could have faced I would have ranked them in order of easiest games for us as: Porto, Dortmund, Madrid, Chelsea, PSG, Bayern, City.

So to get number 3 on the list and then have then playing the winners of 1 and 4 is a fantastic draw for us.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #84: Mar 23, 2021 09:04:17 am
      6 meetings, 3 wins each. They have won the last 3.

We won the first three 6 nil on aggregate. They won the next three 7-1.

We have inflicted one defeat on each other in a European cup final.

No seperating us and its going to be nip and tuck again here. Away goal or goals could be the most important factor
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #85: Mar 23, 2021 09:38:47 am
      Certainly rather have Real Madrid, than Man City. I always prefer international opposition, than a premier league club. It is just a pity that there will not be a full crowd for the second leg at Anfield.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #86: Mar 23, 2021 09:46:45 am
      There was only Dortmund and Porto that would have been a better draw,i believe if our strikers start getting the service and start scoring we will get through,I've watched Madrid a lot this season and they are a more defensive team this season and are not scoring as freely they have done in recent seasons,take Benzema out of the game and we will win.

Our strikers have had plenty of chances, but have taken only 3% of them.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #87: Mar 23, 2021 10:17:24 am
      Our strikers have had plenty of chances, but have taken only 3% of them.

I don't think the service from midfield especially has been good enough and i did say if they start scoring!also how many goals have come from Gini or Thiago?the midfield need to chip in as well.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #88: Mar 23, 2021 11:10:51 am
      I don't think the service from midfield especially has been good enough and i did say if they start scoring!also how many goals have come from Gini or Thiago?the midfield need to chip in as well.

I'll repeat.
      3% conversion rate.

This shows we are getting loads of chances, we are creating loads of chances, we are not converting those chances into goals.

Saying "our midfield needs to chip in" displays a lack of understanding in our midfield's role(s).
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #89: Mar 23, 2021 02:26:49 pm
      I'll repeat.
      3% conversion rate.

This shows we are getting loads of chances, we are creating loads of chances, we are not converting those chances into goals.

Saying "our midfield needs to chip in" displays a lack of understanding in our midfield's role(s).

We all know what the role of our midfielders are but they still need to contribute. Do you think we signed Naby, Thiago and ox to be water carriers?
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #90: Mar 23, 2021 02:57:12 pm
      Respect everyone, fear no one.

Because of our CB injuries i understand not being favorites, but far, far from an un-winnable tie for us.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #91: Mar 23, 2021 03:13:39 pm
      Respect everyone, fear no one.

Because of our CB injuries i understand not being favorites, but far, far from an un-winnable tie for us.

Ive no respect for these, one of if not the biggest bunch of c**ts in football

Quick Reply