Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool: Pre Bill Shankly

Read 3662 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Liverpool: Pre Bill Shankly
      Mar 24, 2021 01:07:47 pm
      Its funny how little tbe clubs history before the arrival of Bill Shankly is discussed. Ok not many on here were around then but I think enough of us have read about or seen footage of players, managers and teams from that era to add info in here for some who dont know to learn from.

From the founders, the first players, the first heroes, the big games. 5 of our 19 titles came before Shanks era. Thats a quarter of our championships, so who won them, who scored the goals, who managed the teams...

Any info at all from 1892 to 1959 throw in here
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Re: Liverpool: Pre Bill Shankly
      Reply #1: Mar 24, 2021 01:15:40 pm
      In our first season John Milar scored 26 goals in 24 games. He was 23. He left after 1 season as the club would not meet his wage demands

Matt McQueen also joined in 1882 and stsyed until he retired in 1899, making over 90 appearances. In our first season he plsyed in 5 different positions including in goal!

He became Liverpool manager in 1923  and he won the championship. He was manager until 1928

YNWA
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #2: Mar 24, 2021 02:03:29 pm
      I remember the teams of the fifties with Billy Liddell, Albert Stubbins and Jack Balmer all of whom were my heroes. None of them went on to manage as far as I am aware, but, by God, they were good. Billy went on to be a supporter who sat in the stand opposite the dugout,(the Kemlyn Road stand) and was often seen walking around the touchline towards the dug out during half time, past the kop. who always gave him a cheer.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #3: Mar 24, 2021 02:09:04 pm
      I remember the teams of the fifties with Billy Liddell, Albert Stubbins and Jack Balmer all of whom were my heroes. None of them went on to manage as far as I am aware, but, by God, they were good. Billy went on to be a supporter who sat in the stand opposite the dugout,(the Kemlyn Road stand) and was often seen walking around the touchline towards the dug out during half time, past the kop. who always gave him a cheer.

To those who seen him they say Billy is up with Kenny as our greatest ever. And had he played in another era he would be a supersrar.

The 3 you mention really are 3 of the greats
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #4: Mar 25, 2021 10:19:39 am
      John Houlding: Owner of the grpund at Anfield, president of Everton FC..He has a dispute over rent with the directors sees Everton move out leaving John Houlding with an empty ground.

On March 15 1892 Jihn Houlding forms Liverpool FC..

IThe clubs first managers are 2 Irishmen. William Barclay from Dublin and John McKenna, honest John, from Monaghan. They managed until 1896. Wiliam looking after the off field stuff and John looking after the onfield stuff. They won two 2nd division titles.

The squad they managed were known as the team of macs
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5: Mar 25, 2021 12:55:14 pm

Liverpool's first ever starting XI: Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah (c), Duncan McLean, James Kelso, Joe McQue, James McBride, John Miller, Thomas Wyllie, Jock Smith, Malcolm McVean, Andrew Kelvin

They won 7-1 v Rotherham. All those lads were Scots......the team of Macs
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #6: Mar 25, 2021 02:04:12 pm
      Before Shankly - smaller than Everton!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Mar 25, 2021 02:59:23 pm
      Before Shankly - smaller than Everton!!

Funny thing is pre Shanks both sides had won five championships. They had bagged 2 FA cups though
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #8: Mar 25, 2021 03:37:55 pm
      Liverpool's first ever starting XI: Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah (c), Duncan McLean, James Kelso, Joe McQue, James McBride, John Miller, Thomas Wyllie, Jock Smith, Malcolm McVean, Andrew Kelvin

I was going to say, I thought the 1st ever team was all scottish lads. :-)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9: Mar 25, 2021 05:43:54 pm
      Funny thing is pre Shanks both sides had won five championships. They had bagged 2 FA cups though

They were known as the Mersey Millionaires :laugh:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #10: Mar 26, 2021 12:42:59 pm
      Gordon Hodgson

We love our strikers here. Rush, Fowler, Keegan ST John , Hunt , Kenny, Mo

But in 1925 we signed a guy from South Africa who would go on to play 377 games and score 241 goals over the next 10 years.. Thats a goal ebery 1.5 games. A strike rate superior to Rushie Hunt and Mo.

Only Roger Hunt has scored more league goals for the club but all of Gordans goals came in the top flight (233)

Sadly for all his efforts this fantastic striker left Anfield  without any trophies. He won some caps for England

YNWA

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #11: Mar 27, 2021 06:11:57 pm

Obviously we've had a lot of great Scottish players down the years, but didn't know our first team was all Scots. Any idea why that was, Brian?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #12: Mar 27, 2021 08:19:23 pm
      Obviously we've had a lot of great Scottish players down the years, but didn't know our first team was all Scots. Any idea why that was, Brian?

Not 100% sure on that but Id guess that as we  were starting out aa a new club money might have been an issue for signing players from other clubs. Scotland had not yet turned pro so possibily it was easier to sign them up.

A few also had remained on from the fallout with Everton, Andrew Hannah and Duncan McClean most referenced, and they were Scots also
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #13: Mar 27, 2021 11:21:45 pm
      I started following Liverpool in the Shankly era, feel I am not qualified to comment on the pre Shankly era. All I know is that he laid the foundations to where the club are today .
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: Mar 28, 2021 08:52:03 am

John houlding the founder of liverpool had a lot of contacts in Glasgow and used them to get players.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Mar 28, 2021 09:24:21 am
      Nice and interesting thread, that I can't contribute to. My father is 49 so even him, he is post-Shankly. I am post-Evans ;)

It looks like we always liked the Scots ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #16: Mar 28, 2021 12:36:37 pm
      John houlding the founder of liverpool had a lot of contacts in Glasgow and used them to get players.

Something I was reading the other day stated only reason Houlding created the club was to basically sell his ale as he was a brewer by trade.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #17: Apr 01, 2021 09:06:56 am
      The last championship won before Shanks came was the 1946/47 season, the first season after the war.

Managed by George Kay who was manager from 1936. George retired in 1951 in poor health and died 3 years later.

Jack Balmer and Albert Stubbins led the way with 24 goals each that season. Billy Liddell was the star name in a squad that also included

Bob Paisley
      Eddie Spicer
      Laurie Hughes
      Bill Jones  (Rob Jones Grandad)
      Barry Nieuwenhuys

YNWA
      redclocker
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 02, 2021 12:23:19 pm
      My mum and dad went to the 1950 cup final, and I've got a signed picture of Billy Liddell up in my office, and his autobiography is signed too.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #19: Apr 04, 2021 12:04:54 pm
      We had plenty of greats before Shanks arrived.

One of the most notable being Elisha Scott, our longest serving player in the club's history. Back to back League titles, over 20 years of service and in excess of 450 games. Considered by a lot of people to be our greatest ever keeper, although comparing generations is never an easy thing to do.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #20: Apr 04, 2021 01:35:28 pm

One of the most notable being Elisha Scott, our longest serving player in the club's history. Back to back League titles, over 20 years of service and in excess of 450 games. Considered by a lot of people to be our greatest ever keeper, although comparing generations is never an easy thing to do.

Good to see you back posting, been a while
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #21: Apr 04, 2021 02:55:50 pm

Think he's now been replaced by Clemance who is now regarded as our greatest keeper.

Quick Reply