Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool trophieless 11

Read 4346 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Liverpool trophieless 11
      Reply #23: Mar 30, 2021 12:33:03 pm
      Were f**ked for a keeper so

Brad Friedel had 3 seasons but only 25 games...hell have to jump in.

Reina Dudek Westerveld and James all won Something

Patrice Luzi or that knobhead that made a tit of himself at the Hillsborough memorial then
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Mar 30, 2021 12:35:24 pm
      Patrice Luzi or that knobhead that made a tit of himself at the Hillsborough memorial then

We had some shams didnt we
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Mar 30, 2021 12:38:13 pm
      So many of our fans have this opinion on the likes of agger, and there are several other players I can name too.

We had a soft spot for him because he had ynwa on his knuckles and scored a few screamers. But he was nowhere near top level standard - rio, vidic, Terry, etc

Compare VVD to agger now and the difference is huge. That’s the standard required to win titles.

He was brilliant tattoo or no tattoo. Excellent on the ball, good in the air, hard, could tackle and could pop up with a goal.

Him and Hyppia are 2 of the finest over the last 20 years in my opinion. Only Carra VVD ahead of them
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #26: Mar 30, 2021 02:44:00 pm
      He was brilliant tattoo or no tattoo. Excellent on the ball, good in the air, hard, could tackle and could pop up with a goal.

Him and Hyppia are 2 of the finest over the last 20 years in my opinion. Only Carra VVD ahead of them

Hmmm, not sure about that Agger was decent but not top notch, not even close to Hyppia, Carra, VVD, Matip and Gomez.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #27: Mar 31, 2021 01:01:04 am

Disagree.

I remember him struggling against tall, physical forwards frequently because he wasn’t good in the air or particularly strong. The likes of Kevin Davies would be his worst nightmare and we were always vulnerable because of it.

He scored a few belters and brought the ball out from the back better than others so it clouded peoples judgment on him.

During his era, he wasn’t one of the best cbs in the league and he wouldn’t have got in the sides above us at that time either.

You’re right that he’s been one of our best centre halves in recent times but that doesn’t mean much. There’s a reason why it took 30 years to win the title.

As for carragher, he’s actually another example of our fans over hyping. He too wasn’t good enough. He formed a great partnership with sami (I think sami could have made Titus bramble look half decent to be honest) but whenever he was partnered with skrtel or agger he was exposed. He said himself on a Fowler podcast recently that he was a bottom 6 / top 6 championship player.

When you compare the players who were considered the best at that time, so John Terry mainly, he was levels and levels above both carragher and agger. Something else carragher has said himself several times too.

I understand the love they get from our fan base but neither were world class or brilliant players, just good ones who were good servants and as a result, our fans are guilty of thinking they were better players than what they actually were.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #28: Mar 31, 2021 09:16:21 am
      So many of our fans have this opinion on the likes of agger, and there are several other players I can name too.

We had a soft spot for him because he had ynwa on his knuckles and scored a few screamers. But he was nowhere near top level standard - rio, vidic, Terry, etc

Compare VVD to agger now and the difference is huge. That’s the standard required to win titles.

Agger was good enough to be a part of a title winning squad, maybe as the number 3 centre back. The rest of the crop - Skrtel, Kolo and Sakho were just terrible which was my point. Skrtel got away with it that year because he scored a few goals and the other two were liked by the fans at the time.

Was never comparing Agger to Ferdinand, Terry or VVD who I agree were/are superior defenders.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #29: Apr 01, 2021 01:55:11 pm
      Agger was good enough to be a part of a title winning squad, maybe as the number 3 centre back. The rest of the crop - Skrtel, Kolo and Sakho were just terrible which was my point. Skrtel got away with it that year because he scored a few goals and the other two were liked by the fans at the time.

Was never comparing Agger to Ferdinand, Terry or VVD who I agree were/are superior defenders.

I know you never mentioned those names  but you said only agger was good enough to win a title.  I mentioned those names because that was the standard at the time and something agger was well short of.

As a third choice centre back then I’d agree he would have been good enough for a title winning squad. The same way I think matip is more than good enough for us when he’s actually fit.

A lot of our players in the past thirty years have been massively over hyped by our fans though. John Arne Riise is a great example. If you asked most reds what they thought of riise they’d all say how great he was when in reality he was just a good player who scored a few cracking goals which stick in people’s memory.  Cole, Baines, Evra were the standard at the time who were all levels above riise. But if you ask our fans, you would think he was roberto Carlos. And it’s the same for so many of our past players.

Funnily enough, it’s happening to man United right now. They’ve forgotten what the standard is to win titles too. Rashford is a good example for them. Majority of their fans think he’s world class. But the standard is mo Salah or in recent times Eden hazard and rashford is nowhere near that level and if united want to win titles and compete again then they need to upgrade on the likes of him.

Quick Reply