Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

AFCON 2022: Winners Senegal.

Read 24031 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: AFCON 2022 🌍
      Reply #69: Jan 13, 2022 08:40:42 pm
      Irrespective of the ref having nightmare, I sense a lack of respect towards this tournament, players & countries participating in it…

I think the lack of respect comes from the fact that we've had to send players to a tournament that appears to be thrown together at the last minute and isn't producing any real sort of exciting football. On top of that add in this strange incident, it's not a good look and right now you can't really blame people for saying it's sh*t.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #70: Jan 13, 2022 08:47:12 pm
      Irrespective of the ref having nightmare, I sense a lack of respect towards this tournament, players & countries participating in it…

I call a spade a spade, and this tournament so far has been sh*te and completely unprofessional.

I was actually excited to watch as you can see above me asking for times, but the games have been dire so far and it all just seems so amateurish in the way it's been executed, and that ref display just topped it off.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #71: Jan 13, 2022 10:14:32 pm
      I call a spade a spade, and this tournament so far has been sh*te and completely unprofessional.

I was actually excited to watch as you can see above me asking for times, but the games have been dire so far and it all just seems so amateurish in the way it's been executed, and that ref display just topped it off.

Yep - it’s been shocking

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #72: Jan 13, 2022 10:27:51 pm

100% this.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #73: Jan 13, 2022 11:27:59 pm

Poor choice of words… 🤔
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #74: Jan 13, 2022 11:45:39 pm
      It is reported that the ref was suffering heat stroke and lost his ability to think clearly.

Medical reasons not incompetence. Can we chill instead of continually mocking African football?

Ian Wright proven right.
      Same ref was suspended 2 years ago for taking bribes but sure heat stroke.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #75: Jan 14, 2022 08:44:23 am
      Says more about you if that’s where your mind went… 🤔
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #76: Jan 14, 2022 09:34:37 am

Never a truer word been said - you have it spot on about him 👍
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #77: Jan 14, 2022 04:26:35 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #78: Jan 14, 2022 04:34:28 pm

Does it... I guess you don’t know the racial connotations of using the term ‘Spade a Spade’...

& I’m not calling you out by the way..just thought it was a poor choice of words.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #79: Jan 14, 2022 04:41:25 pm
      Does it... I guess you don’t know the racial connotations of using the term ‘Spade a Spade’...

& I’m not calling you out by the way..just thought it was a poor choice of words.
      It has nothing to do with race, if you look up the origins there is no race involved at all, it’s only been the last Century people like you have decided they want to link it to racism.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #80: Jan 14, 2022 04:44:18 pm
      It has nothing to do with race, if you look up the origins there is no race involved at all, it’s only been the last Century people like you have decided they want to link it to racism.

People like me..? I haven’t t decided anything mate.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #81: Jan 14, 2022 04:46:14 pm
      People like me..? I haven’t t decided anything mate.
      You seem to have an issue with the saying…
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #82: Jan 14, 2022 04:49:11 pm
      You seem to have an issue with the saying…

Like I said , I thought it was a poor choice of words that’s all..it does have racial connotations..you don’t believe it does, that’s cool.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #83: Jan 14, 2022 04:55:36 pm
      Like I said , I thought it was a poor choice of words that’s all..it does have racial connotations..you don’t believe it does, that’s cool.
      Cool, next time keep your opinions to yourself.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #84: Jan 14, 2022 04:57:06 pm
      Cool, next time keep your opinions to yourself.

Nah.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #85: Jan 14, 2022 04:58:37 pm
      Fine, you do you, but I’ll avoid replying to a member that’s main reason for using the forum most of the time is ti be involved in some kind of tit for tat controversy.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #86: Jan 14, 2022 05:00:37 pm
      Fine, you do you, but I’ll avoid replying to a member that’s main reason for using the forum most of the time is ti be involved in some kind of tit for tat controversy.

🤦🏻‍♂️
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #87: Jan 14, 2022 05:03:58 pm
      You just summed up 95% of the forums expression whenever you post…

But have a good night, and enjoy looking for more controversy somewhere on the forum to get involved in <3
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #88: Jan 14, 2022 05:09:30 pm

Oh dear....the term was originally used hundreds and hundreds of years ago and "spade" meant a gardening tool. If someone is reading racial connotation into this, it's because they are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Let's be better than this.

rossyred
      • Started Topic

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #89: Jan 14, 2022 05:09:53 pm

Spot on
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #90: Jan 14, 2022 05:47:27 pm
      Any road….,

In the late 1920s during the Harlem Renaissance, "spade" began to evolve into code for a black person, according to Patricia T. O'Connor and Stewart Kellerman's book Origins of the Specious: Myths and Misconceptions of the English Language. The Oxford English Dictionary says the first appearance of the word spade as a reference to blackness was in Claude McKay's 1928 novel Home to Harlem, which was notable for its depictions of street life in Harlem in the 1920s. "Jake is such a fool spade," wrote McKay. "Don't know how to handle the womens." Fellow Harlem Renaissance writer Wallace Thurman then used the word in his novel The Blacker The Berry: A Novel of Negro Life, a widely read and notable work that explored prejudice within the African-American community. "Wonder where all the spades keep themselves?" one of Thurman's characters asks. It was also in the 1920s that the "spade" in question began to refer to the spade found on playing cards.

The word would change further in the years to come. Eventually, the phrase "black as the ace of spades" also became widely used, further strengthening the association between spades and playing cards.

Wolfgang Mieder notes that in the fourth edition of The American Language, H.L. Mencken's famous book about language in the United States, "spade" is listed as one of the "opprobrious" names for "Negroes" (along with "Zulu," "skunk" and many other words that I can't print here). Robert L. Chapman struck a similar note in his Thesaurus of American Slang (1989). "All these terms will give deep offense if used by nonblacks," warned Chapman, listing "spade" in a group that included words like blackbird, shade, shadow, skillet and smoke.

The British author Colin MacInnes, who was white, frequently used the term in novels like City of Spades (1957) and Absolute Beginners (1959) about the multiracial, multicultural London of the 1950s and '60s. MacInnes has been criticized for his exotification and sexualization of black culture in his books. MacInnes also coined the cringeworthy word "spadelet" to refer to black infants.

As with many other racialized terms, there were efforts to reclaim the word after it had become a slur. Four years after Malcolm X was killed in 1965, poet Ted Joans eulogized him in his poem "My Ace of Spades." The artist David Hammons also explored the negative connotations to the word in his 1973 sculpture "Spade With Chains." Hammons once told an interviewer that he began to incorporate spades into his work because "I was called a spade once, and I didn't know what it meant ... so I took the shape and started painting it." And a character in 2009's Black Dynamite (a spoof of the blaxploitation films of the 1970s) tells a rival that he's "blacker than the ace of spades and more militant than you."

So what does all of this mean for people who want to, well, "call a spade a spade"? I urge caution. Mieder concludes his case study with the argument that "to call a spade a spade" should be retired from modern usage: "Rather than taking the chance of unintentionally offending someone or of being misunderstood, it is best to relinquish the old innocuous proverbial expression all together."
      rossyred
      • Started Topic

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #91: Jan 14, 2022 05:48:24 pm
      Any road….,

In the late 1920s during the Harlem Renaissance, "spade" began to evolve into code for a black person, according to Patricia T. O'Connor and Stewart Kellerman's book Origins of the Specious: Myths and Misconceptions of the English Language. The Oxford English Dictionary says the first appearance of the word spade as a reference to blackness was in Claude McKay's 1928 novel Home to Harlem, which was notable for its depictions of street life in Harlem in the 1920s. "Jake is such a fool spade," wrote McKay. "Don't know how to handle the womens." Fellow Harlem Renaissance writer Wallace Thurman then used the word in his novel The Blacker The Berry: A Novel of Negro Life, a widely read and notable work that explored prejudice within the African-American community. "Wonder where all the spades keep themselves?" one of Thurman's characters asks. It was also in the 1920s that the "spade" in question began to refer to the spade found on playing cards.

The word would change further in the years to come. Eventually, the phrase "black as the ace of spades" also became widely used, further strengthening the association between spades and playing cards.

Wolfgang Mieder notes that in the fourth edition of The American Language, H.L. Mencken's famous book about language in the United States, "spade" is listed as one of the "opprobrious" names for "Negroes" (along with "Zulu," "skunk" and many other words that I can't print here). Robert L. Chapman struck a similar note in his Thesaurus of American Slang (1989). "All these terms will give deep offense if used by nonblacks," warned Chapman, listing "spade" in a group that included words like blackbird, shade, shadow, skillet and smoke.

The British author Colin MacInnes, who was white, frequently used the term in novels like City of Spades (1957) and Absolute Beginners (1959) about the multiracial, multicultural London of the 1950s and '60s. MacInnes has been criticized for his exotification and sexualization of black culture in his books. MacInnes also coined the cringeworthy word "spadelet" to refer to black infants.

As with many other racialized terms, there were efforts to reclaim the word after it had become a slur. Four years after Malcolm X was killed in 1965, poet Ted Joans eulogized him in his poem "My Ace of Spades." The artist David Hammons also explored the negative connotations to the word in his 1973 sculpture "Spade With Chains." Hammons once told an interviewer that he began to incorporate spades into his work because "I was called a spade once, and I didn't know what it meant ... so I took the shape and started painting it." And a character in 2009's Black Dynamite (a spoof of the blaxploitation films of the 1970s) tells a rival that he's "blacker than the ace of spades and more militant than you."

So what does all of this mean for people who want to, well, "call a spade a spade"? I urge caution. Mieder concludes his case study with the argument that "to call a spade a spade" should be retired from modern usage: "Rather than taking the chance of unintentionally offending someone or of being misunderstood, it is best to relinquish the old innocuous proverbial expression all together."

Bore off you tool

Quick Reply