Trending Topics

Next match: Leeds v LFC [Premier League] Mon 19th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Elland Road

Today is the 15th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D8 L8

Ibrahima Konate (RB Leipzig)

Read 1124 times
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,965 posts | 145 
      Ibrahima Konate (RB Leipzig)
      Mar 29, 2021 08:55:25 am
      Story breaking in the Athletic, maybe we will hear James Pearce later today. Edit: He is retweeting this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1376429333938573312

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2021 09:10:01 am by Aggerdoo »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,185 posts | 3960 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Re: Ibrahima Konate (RB Leipzig)
      Reply #1: Mar 29, 2021 10:09:38 am
      Came from nowhere, this. The Athletic lads generally don't report on sh*te so this will be true.
      « Last Edit: Mar 29, 2021 10:36:28 am by what-a-hit-son »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,523 posts | 2033 
      Reply #2: Mar 29, 2021 10:36:00 am
      Brilliant signing if we get him in I rate Konate very highly he's the best CB at Leipzig in my opinion. Baffling as to why he doesn't start for them although I think he's recently returned from a bad ankle injury.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,185 posts | 3960 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #3: Mar 29, 2021 10:36:35 am
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,523 posts | 2033 
      Reply #4: Mar 29, 2021 10:40:44 am
      So do we still sign Ozan as well?

I guess that means Matip will be sold this Summer.

Imagine if go in to next season with 5 quality CB's?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,686 posts | 1928 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Mar 29, 2021 11:23:38 am
      Sorry if this brings the mood down a bit but 3 questions

1) Whats his injury record like?

2) Why is he not in Leipzigs team at the moment ( is it because of question 1?)

3) If Koulibaly is supposedly available at a similar price would we not be better going for him?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,428 posts | 709 
      Reply #6: Mar 29, 2021 11:40:48 am

Would be happy with the 4 and possibly keep Matip and whatever games fit a bonus let him run contract down as doubt would get much of a fee
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,523 posts | 2033 
      Reply #7: Mar 29, 2021 11:52:58 am

3) If Koulibaly is supposedly available at a similar price would we not be better going for him?

1). He had a big muscle injury last season was out for most of the season. Was out for 6 weeks this season with an ankle injury.

2). Only recently returned from injury.

3). Koulibaly will be 30 in June. Konate is only 21 so a long term signing.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,523 posts | 2033 
      Reply #8: Mar 29, 2021 11:54:37 am
      Would be happy with the 4 and possibly keep Matip and whatever games fit a bonus let him run contract down as doubt would get much of a fee

Yea I think we'll sign Ozan and keep Joel until his contract expires I'm sure he'll be happy with that too.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,289 posts | 471 
      Reply #9: Mar 29, 2021 11:55:56 am

1) Not the best recently. Torn muscle leg fibre in October 2019 kept him out till post lockdown games in June. Suffered an ankle injury around Christmas that's kept him out for two months. His most productive year was 2018-19, where he started all but six of the 34 league games as a 19 year old.

2) Mainly because of the above I think!

3) don't know about Koulibalys availability - Konate has a release clause of €40m

A lot of raw talent with this guy. Has got the pace to play a high line, but stats suggest he needs to work on his ball retention.

Considering how notorious we are for pulling out of deals if there's the smallest injury worry (see Fekir), we must be confident his recent injuries are not recurring/long term problems.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,686 posts | 1928 
      Reply #10: Mar 29, 2021 12:14:05 pm
      1). He had a big muscle injury last season was out for most of the season. Was out for 6 weeks this season with an ankle injury.

Thanks, didnt think Koulibaly was that old.

Sounds like a bad injury the lad had
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 25,452 posts | 1435 
      Reply #11: Mar 29, 2021 12:59:48 pm
      Watched him a couple of times and he was excellent. Tall and powerful and a good turn of pace too which is needed with the way we play.

Injury record a bit of a worry though!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 711 
      Reply #12: Mar 29, 2021 01:42:36 pm

If we have the same luck with injuries in the position as we did this year, it really doesn't matter. We've had 8 different CB's play so far this year, and if Davies makes his debut, he will be the 9th.

As for Konate himself, far from familiar with him, but at 21yo and 6'4 i would be pretty excited at his potential. RBL are no schmucks so he must be good to play for them.
      Dadorious

• 9,548 posts | 1372 
      Reply #13: Mar 29, 2021 01:45:48 pm
      So which of the front 3 is off in the summer then? Mo to Madrid?

Looks promising this lad he’s injury records a bit of a downer though.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 711 
      Reply #14: Mar 29, 2021 01:48:53 pm

huh?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,523 posts | 2033 
      Reply #15: Mar 29, 2021 02:32:49 pm
      If we have the same luck with injuries in the position as we did this year, it really doesn't matter. We've had 8 different CB's play so far this year, and if Davies makes his debut, he will be the 9th.

As for Konate himself, far from familiar with him, but at 21yo and 6'4 i would be pretty excited at his potential. RBL are no schmucks so he must be good to play for them.

Hope we sign Kabak too but I feel we may opt for Konate only.

Ideally we sell Matip and send Davies and Williams out on loan which leaves us with 5 CB's VVD, Gomez, Konate, Kabak and Phillips. Any major injury issues we can recall Davies from loan.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 711 
      Reply #16: Mar 29, 2021 02:48:56 pm
      Hope we sign Kabak too but I feel we may opt for Konate only.

Ideally we sell Matip and send Davies and Williams out on loan which leaves us with 5 CB's VVD, Gomez, Konate, Kabak and Phillips. Any major injury issues we can recall Davies from loan.

I'm not sure what the negotiated price tag is for Kabak, but i would love to keep him. So young and promising. He and Konate (if it happened) could be our next #1 pairing in a few years and only be 24/25 at the time.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 598 posts | 227 
      Reply #17: Mar 29, 2021 02:55:22 pm

Interesting comparison of both players from a bavarian fans website. I can't say I've watched enough of Konate to give an informed opinion of him but curiously enough I've read and heard a very big number of people say they prefer him to Upamecano. The general consensus seems to be that you're buying a very good prospect regardless of which one of those two you decide to pick.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 711 
      Reply #18: Mar 29, 2021 03:12:00 pm

Interesting comparison of both players from a bavarian fans website. I can't say I've watched enough of Konate to give an informed opinion of him but curiously enough I've read and heard a very big number of people say they prefer him to Upamecano. The general consensus seems to be that you're buying a very good prospect regardless of which one of those two you decide to pick.

Nice article, though it's 18 months old already so interesting to know how they have each progressed in that timeframe.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,523 posts | 2033 
      Reply #19: Mar 29, 2021 03:18:46 pm
      I'm not sure what the negotiated price tag is for Kabak, but i would love to keep him. So young and promising. He and Konate (if it happened) could be our next #1 pairing in a few years and only be 24/25 at the time.

Think it's only an £18 million option to buy which given what I've seen of Kabak so far is good value and would be crazy to turn down.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,309 posts | 5172 
      Reply #20: Mar 29, 2021 03:54:26 pm

Was mentioned earlier in the season we were after him when everyone was still banging on about Upemacano
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,309 posts | 5172 
      Reply #21: Mar 29, 2021 03:56:20 pm

Supposed to be asking silly money wages.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 711 
      Reply #22: Mar 29, 2021 04:34:29 pm
      Think it's only an £18 million option to buy which given what I've seen of Kabak so far is good value and would be crazy to turn down.

Agree. At 18M no reason not to take him. He and Konate are exactly the type of moves we need as we turn the team over slowly as it ages. When Klopp leaves in 2024 we'd have Gomez at 27, Kabak and Konate at 24/25, so 3 CB positions set for the future.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,428 posts | 709 
      Reply #23: Mar 29, 2021 05:50:54 pm
      Kabak or Konate not both now being touted
      harrydunn08

• 5,410 posts | 756 
      Reply #24: Mar 29, 2021 06:04:56 pm
      Kabak or Konate not both now being touted

If true, it's a little frustrating to hear this news coming out now.  We need Ozan to be focused and confident over the next 8+ weeks.  News of a move that would potentially kill his future with us could easily put him into a funk. 

Ideally, it would be both Kabak and Konate with Matip allowed to leave.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 711 
      Reply #25: Mar 29, 2021 06:08:50 pm
      If true, it's a little frustrating to hear this news coming out now.  We need Ozan to be focused and confident over the next 8+ weeks.  News of a move that would potentially kill his future with us could easily put him into a funk. 

Ideally, it would be both Kabak and Konate with Matip allowed to leave.

If this is what's coming out then the way i read it is that no one really knows. LFC is very prudent on how they handle things, and as you mention, we need Ozan fully confident and free of distractions, so i see this "one or the other" being mainly guess work.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,428 posts | 709 
      Reply #26: Mar 29, 2021 06:15:18 pm
      If this is what's coming out then the way i read it is that no one really knows. LFC is very prudent on how they handle things, and as you mention, we need Ozan fully confident and free of distractions, so i see this "one or the other" being mainly guess work.

If that prudent and news coming out of Konate would still have the same outcome would it not another player in the same position he plays
      harrydunn08

• 5,410 posts | 756 
      Reply #27: Mar 29, 2021 06:22:46 pm
      If that prudent and news coming out of Konate would still have the same outcome would it not another player in the same position he plays

It's different for Kabak as he isnt' actually a LFC player yet.  He is probably hoping that he can convince us to sign him permanently in the summer.  News like this has the potential to be a real kick in the teeth and could shatter his confidence and kill his commitment to the Liverpool cause. 

It's good that we are active early and looking to make improvements to the side for next season.  I just hope this news break doesn't bite us in the ass...
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,428 posts | 709 
      Reply #28: Mar 29, 2021 06:49:38 pm
      It's different for Kabak as he isnt' actually a LFC player yet.  He is probably hoping that he can convince us to sign him permanently in the summer.  News like this has the potential to be a real kick in the teeth and could shatter his confidence and kill his commitment to the Liverpool cause. 

It's good that we are active early and looking to make improvements to the side for next season.  I just hope this news break doesn't bite us in the ass...

Yeh I agree my point is the news coming out at all and if there any truth it will affect all CBs maybe not VVD but certainly Matip , Kabak and Joe even Phillips as if he does come pretty sure he will be aiming for a starting position
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,185 posts | 3960 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #29: Mar 29, 2021 08:02:23 pm
      Story breaking in the Athletic, maybe we will hear James Pearce later today. Edit: He is retweeting this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1376429333938573312

Ornstein on this podcast taking about the story:

The Athletic's David Ornstein joins the regular panel to bring us the latest on his exclusive story that Liverpool are finalising a deal for RB Leipzig defender Ibrahima Konate

Link to podcsst:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS9fY1kxNmU3SQ/episode/OGFiNzY4NDYtNmFkNS0xMWViLWJlOWYtZTM5ZjNmMzFkN2Rj?ep=14
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 14 
      Reply #30: Mar 30, 2021 01:13:48 am
      Already very injury prone in his young career. Talented but I dont think hes worth that kind of money considering.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 598 posts | 227 
      Reply #31: Mar 30, 2021 02:38:48 am
      In light of the flood of people pointing out the injury record of the lad, I have a genuine question.

Do we have anybody here on the forum with some medical knowledge or specifically medical knowledge in the field of sports that could tell us what type of injuries are indicative of being injury prone and which ones are just bad luck (assuming a broken bone after a very though chalenge is not the same as a recurring hamstring or something like that)?

I know the average sports fan will associate repeating muscle injuries with being prone to injury but I have no idea how accurate this is.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,686 posts | 1928 
      Reply #32: Mar 30, 2021 09:25:52 am
      In light of the flood of people pointing out the injury record of the lad, I have a genuine question.

Do we have anybody here on the forum with some medical knowledge or specifically medical knowledge in the field of sports that could tell us what type of injuries are indicative of being injury prone and which ones are just bad luck (assuming a broken bone after a very though chalenge is not the same as a recurring hamstring or something like that)?

I know the average sports fan will associate repeating muscle injuries with being prone to injury but I have no idea how accurate this is.

No medical expert but I viewit this way

Eample 1 Joe Gomez. Not injury prone. His injuries in his career are long term and picked up in the process of playing, ligament or bone injury for example

Example 2; Keita/Matip Injury prone.That is to say cznt play more then 3 games in a row without picking up whats termed " a niggle" That is feeling of any little pain or pull in any muscle particularly groins hammers quads.

In example 2 I personally wonder how much is in the head. Feel a little strsin after kicking or running and then decide to look after themselves for a while.

I know this, no Gerry Byrnes play the game now
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts | 21 
      Reply #33: Mar 30, 2021 04:31:11 pm
      Konate-VVD would be a defensive monster. Can't wait to happen. Phillips is a decent back-up, I also hope we keep Gomez and Matip. Ozan is just too slow, kind of the same fate as Shaq. They'll never be core players in a top team. In midfield and offense I do not see the need of new players, only if Gini + Milner !!! go away.
      harrydunn08

• 5,410 posts | 756 
      Reply #34: Mar 30, 2021 04:48:57 pm
      Konate-VVD would be a defensive monster. Can't wait to happen. Phillips is a decent back-up, I also hope we keep Gomez and Matip. Ozan is just too slow, kind of the same fate as Shaq. They'll never be core players in a top team. In midfield and offense I do not see the need of new players, only if Gini + Milner !!! go away.

What are you on about?  Kabak is easily quicker and faster than both Matip and Phillips.

Waiter -- I'll have what he's having   :cool-smiley-027:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,568 posts | 4133 
      Reply #35: Mar 30, 2021 07:03:19 pm

I think the insinuation is that we have to sell to buy.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 711 
      Reply #36: Mar 30, 2021 07:42:56 pm
      I think the insinuation is that we have to sell to buy.

For someone like Konate? no, for Mbappe/Haaland? probably yes to partially offset cost.
      « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2021 08:06:11 pm by CT_LFC »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,698 posts | 4676 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: Mar 31, 2021 02:42:48 am

ruthcity

• 5,074 posts | 878 
      Reply #38: Apr 06, 2021 05:39:51 pm
      We should just buy him first and worry about the rest later. Is this our feeder club?

Quick Reply