Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Ibrahima Konate (RB Leipzig)

Read 16627 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Ibrahima Konate (RB Leipzig)
      Reply #69: May 04, 2021 02:29:14 pm
      Would be a great signing. Allow us go 3 at the back and can play right full as well.

Hopefully we get this done. Might spell the end of Ben Davies though

The end? Did he ever have a beginning?
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #70: May 04, 2021 02:44:16 pm
      I agree we will be strong defensively on paper if these two come in and Joe and VVD are healthy. However, we gotta do better in front of goal than we have this season if we wanna compete. Definitely think we need an attacking signing as well.

You can win even if you give up goals, but you simply cannot win if you do not score. How our scorers suddenly went blank for so long is truly inexplicable and don't know how that gets addressed. Is it just an random patch of bad luck, signs of internal issues, lack of confidence, players wearing down, need for a change? so many possible reasons and don't know what the right move is but it is clear we cannot contend next season if our front 3 keep misfiring, particularly at Anfield.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #71: May 04, 2021 09:49:44 pm
      Davies may end up sold before ever playing a second of first team football for us.

Seems v likely

If the rule still exists that you can't play for 3 clubs in 12 months, it would explain why we're not giving Ben Davies a single second on the pitch: because if we sold him in the summer he'd be ineligible to play until 1 January I think.

Almost wonder whether that was the intention.

All a bit Harry Redknapp, treating football players like racehorses to be bought and sold at will, as long as there's a few quid to be made out of each deal.

Obvs not gonna sign Kabak either, if Konaté is a defo in. And that'd be the right decision. Not shown he's worth signing and Klopp's been subbing him off and keeping Phillips on the field (for reasons best known to himself).
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #72: May 04, 2021 09:52:32 pm
      Seems v likely

If the rule still exists that you can't play for 3 clubs in 12 months, it would explain why we're not giving Ben Davies a single second on the pitch: because if we sold him in the summer he'd be ineligible to play until 1 January I think.

Almost wonder whether that was the intention.

All a bit Harry Redknapp, treating football players like racehorses to be bought and sold at will, as long as there's a few quid to be made out of each deal.

Obvs not gonna sign Kabak either, if Konaté is a defo in. And that'd be the right decision. Not shown he's worth signing and Klopp's been subbing him off and keeping Phillips on the field (for reasons best known to himself).

Genuinely think he was brought in simply as emergency cover due to Matip's injury.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #73: May 04, 2021 10:44:18 pm
      Genuinely think he was brought in simply as emergency cover due to Matip's injury.

Hope you're right

I don't like to think these lads are just viewed as tradeable commodities to try to make a profit out of on Ebay

99.9% sure he'll be flipped out in the summer for reasons I stated

Don't get the feeling Klopp was consulted at all by Edwards. Just presented with the player.

If you look at Davies' build he looks a very similar build to Adam Lallana, which only goes to show he isn't a centre back, and you can see why he played full back at some of his loan clubs. Think it might have only been at Preston he got to play on the left side of a 3 cb system?

I looked at 3 sets of youtube vids back at the end of Jan, to see who looked better out of Caleta-Car, Kabak and Davies. I expected it to come out in highest price order. Nope.

I had Davies top, Kabak 2nd, Caleta-Car 3rd. So I don't think Ben's a bad player by any means (though he makes way too many rash challenges off his feet), but he's not a CB so I don't see the point in keeping him past the summer. He could do someone a very decent job in a 3 at the back system which Klopp clearly doesn't favour. Maybe Roy could bung us £50m to make up for his past misdemeanours as Liverpool manager.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #74: May 04, 2021 11:04:27 pm
      Hope you're right

I don't like to think these lads are just viewed as tradeable commodities to try to make a profit out of on Ebay

99.9% sure he'll be flipped out in the summer for reasons I stated

Don't get the feeling Klopp was consulted at all by Edwards. Just presented with the player.

If you look at Davies' build he looks a very similar build to Adam Lallana, which only goes to show he isn't a centre back, and you can see why he played full back at some of his loan clubs. Think it might have only been at Preston he got to play on the left side of a 3 cb system?

I looked at 3 sets of youtube vids back at the end of Jan, to see who looked better out of Caleta-Car, Kabak and Davies. I expected it to come out in highest price order. Nope.

I had Davies top, Kabak 2nd, Caleta-Car 3rd. So I don't think Ben's a bad player by any means (though he makes way too many rash challenges off his feet), but he's not a CB so I don't see the point in keeping him past the summer. He could do someone a very decent job in a 3 at the back system which Klopp clearly doesn't favour. Maybe Roy could bung us £50m to make up for his past misdemeanours as Liverpool manager.

Judging players off youtube videos? Not a great guide for me. Could makecsean Dundee look like Ronaldo
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #75: May 04, 2021 11:07:33 pm
      Certainly need one or two signings, who less injury prone, talking in general, whoever joins the club !
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2021 11:21:39 pm by David Wright »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #76: May 05, 2021 12:56:08 am
      You can win even if you give up goals, but you simply cannot win if you do not score. How our scorers suddenly went blank for so long is truly inexplicable and don't know how that gets addressed. Is it just an random patch of bad luck, signs of internal issues, lack of confidence, players wearing down, need for a change? so many possible reasons and don't know what the right move is but it is clear we cannot contend next season if our front 3 keep misfiring, particularly at Anfield.

Mic drop post
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #77: May 05, 2021 01:18:56 am
      Said it before absolutely dodged a bullett with Caleta Car he would have been awful.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #78: May 05, 2021 01:25:24 am
      Said it before absolutely dodged a bullett with Caleta Car he would have been awful.

And got Ben Davies instead ;D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #79: May 05, 2021 10:13:33 am
      No we got Kabak instead that’s more of an apples for apples. Marseille wanted 26m for Car
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #80: May 05, 2021 01:58:36 pm
      Judging players off youtube videos? Not a great guide for me. Could makecsean Dundee look like Ronaldo

Better than nothing. In the absence of a seasie at Marseille, Schalke or Preston it's all I had to go on.

You have to assume that if someone has taken time to edit some clips that purport to show the player's best bits (wer-hay! steady on, girls) then they've given it their best shot, not just put together minutes of random clips good or bad. Mind you, having seen some of these videos over the years...  ???

Something that was evident in all 3 players was that they were pro-active in challenges on the ground to the point that the two foreign lads would be picking up a lot of cards in the Premier League, and in Davies' case quite a few reds, there were some borderline off-his-feet challenges that were genuine attempts to try to win the ball by going in round the side of his opponent, not wild tackles at all, but the Greater Manchester Referee Society would take umbrage at some of them.

Davies was the best with the ball at his feet by some distance I thought. Decent passer into midfield. From what I recall almost no shots of him winning headers, presumably because he doesn't, being built like Lallana. That's not his game.

Caleta-Car was the most dominant in the air, as you'd expect, but he just looks a massive unit, a Ruddock level unit, and I'd be worried about him having to defend balls hit in behind him. He looks a level or two below Lovren and look at the extraordinary levels of sh*te Lovren had to put up with just cos he once misjudged a header against Spurs by a couple of inches. Crime of the century.

Kabak I haven't changed my opinion of much between the vid and him playing for us. He's OK but doesn't seem to excel at anything. Seems to take him a couple of seconds to get his legs sorted out before he sprints back in defence but he's no slouch once he gets going. Not that dominant in the air. And he's got an annoying habit of kind of scooping under the ball when he plays long passes so they've got loads of backspin on and they just sort of sail through the air with no pace on them, like a 9-iron golf shot if I've remembered my golf clubs right. You can see Salah sitting there having a cuppa waiting for Kabak's long passes to come down out of the sky. That's if they actually land on the pitch inside the touchline at all.

But yeah, Youtube, can be a good indicator or throw up false hopes. Suarez looked amazing and was available for £3m the year or 18 months before we got him for £25m or whatever it was. As you might expect, amazing player looked amazing. On the other side of the coin I saw Mark Gonzalez and he was absolute sh*t-off-a-shovel, I genuinely thought we had the new Ryan Giggs on our hands. I mean, he was lightning quick, so the videos weren't wrong, but stellar attributes don't necessarily mean a stellar LFC career as we all know. Did he get injured? I was gutted his signing didn't work out for us. [just checked LFC history and we signed him AFTER a serious cruciate ligament injury - ffs!]

Konaté I think I've seen once for Leipzig at CB and I thought at the time he seemed just as good as Upamecano, but neither really stood out as must signs. But it wasn't against us so I wasn't really paying that close attention so I'll see what he's like if and when he does actually turn up and roll out for our pre-season matches which I think a mate said were all gonna be on home soil this year?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #81: May 06, 2021 11:34:50 am
       LFC have agreed terms with Konate and he is set to join on a 5 year contract according to reports.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #82: May 06, 2021 01:45:50 pm
      LFC have agreed terms with Konate and he is set to join on a 5 year contract according to reports.

Just refreshed my memory with a quick and infamous YT scouting vid, FWIW, possibly nothing

The lad's quick, take some player to beat him in a 1-on-1

Proper unit too, nobody's wrestling him off the ball

Got a bit of Sol Campbell about him (and that's a good thing)

As usual with these vids you don't really get to see the cerebral side of defending. What's his awareness like for oppo players drifting into space behind him in the box? What's his alertness for playing offside? That sort of stuff. But the physical side is impressive for sure. Loves a Jocky Hansen leg it out with the ball (the absolute last thing I'd be looking for in a CB but great fun to watch as long as he can actually do the day job: defending).

99% of football rumours are absolute sh*te, but gotta think this one is happening. The Guardian went big on him signing for us. They don't make sh*t up.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #83: May 06, 2021 02:10:27 pm
      i would be all in on this. 6'4 and only 22 years old.

He, Gomez and Kabak would be the future of our backline as we continue the process of turning the team over to the next generation.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #84: May 07, 2021 09:30:40 pm
      He's got class written all over him, big solid quick unit, his mucker Upamenacco was sold I think to Bayern Munchen can't remember but anyhoo it's been said Ibrahima was the better of the two, just hadn't blossomed,  he's good now but wait and see what he's like once Jürgen has him Klopp fit and half a dozen games next to Virgil,

I'm excited about this lad joining,  we can look forward to at least 10years  of having a solid CB,  just don't let that c**t Pickford get close to him.

YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #85: May 08, 2021 04:22:47 pm
      3 at the  back
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #86: May 14, 2021 03:11:55 pm
      Lots on twitter, saying this is a done deal.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #87: May 14, 2021 03:30:54 pm
      Injury record concerns aside I think Konate is a superb young CB with world class potential.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #88: May 14, 2021 04:40:36 pm
      Lots on twitter, saying this is a done deal.

They’ve been saying that for weeks.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #89: May 14, 2021 05:52:39 pm
      They’ve been saying that for weeks.

First ive seen it, but followed a few new pages today so thats maybe why. ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #90: May 14, 2021 08:07:32 pm
      First ive seen it, but followed a few new pages today so thats maybe why. ;D

Seems to all be coming from that one bloke...Fabrizio whatshisname....... He's been claiming it for awhile. Not sure how reliable he is but he's all in on the rumor.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #91: May 15, 2021 07:41:39 am
      Seems to all be coming from that one bloke...Fabrizio whatshisname....... He's been claiming it for awhile. Not sure how reliable he is but he's all in on the rumor.

No rumour mate it’s happening, although not official, nothing will be announced until the season is over both here and in Germany, first signing of the rebuild this.

But like most signings, I won’t be celebrating until he’s holding a Liverpool scarf above his head in front of the Kop.

Quick Reply