Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Ibrahima Konate (RB Leipzig)

Read 16631 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Ibrahima Konate (RB Leipzig)
      Reply #115: May 25, 2021 04:32:27 pm
      He's almost done deal. It means kabak will not be offered a contract. I prefer konate to be honest.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #116: May 25, 2021 04:33:26 pm
      I agree, if Matip is willing to accept a part time role, he's an outstanding option coming off the bench.

Question on Gomez though...if we are really paying 40m for this new kid....that's not sit on the bench money so I'm wondering if Gomez' injury is worse than we've been lead to believe?

He had two major injuries in short time. He needs more time to be back as we know him, if he do.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #117: May 25, 2021 05:19:33 pm
      Looks increasingly likely we have the first swinging dick through the door already, apparently We've stumped up the release clause money to Leipzig, Konate imminent now, just the medical and the formalities and it's done 😁

Watched his 14 minute highlight real earlier.

The man is a very athletic for his size. Quick acceleration, top up recovery speed, dominant in the air, uses his body well to shield.
      He definitely has offensive ambitions, will dribble/knife thru midfield, long passes were accurate.

Has a tendency to slide tackle and poke at the ball while in the box which could cause PK worries

Of course I'm watching only his best moments.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #118: May 25, 2021 06:03:57 pm
      No Kabak deal and presume now cash in  on Phillips whilst bar as high as it will be . Risky losing Kabak at 18m in a couple of years would imagine worth a lot more clearly pace the issue with Klopp which he likes in his CBs
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #119: May 26, 2021 08:16:51 am
      I'd keep Matip as well though.

From a technical point of view he's our second best CB. Unfortunately he cant play more than 3 games.

Time to move on for Joel sadly.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #120: May 26, 2021 02:21:24 pm
      Reasonably so. The fee feels like Keita all over again. And do we have the injury record of this potential player for reference?
      Funny enough, looking at Keita's transfermarkt injury record the guy had missed 12 games through injury in his 2 season spell at Leipzig. Not saying its a great injury record but its when the guy moved to us that he suddenly turned into one giant wine glass missing a bazillion games in comparison.

I don't know if the style of our league has something to do with it but some players seem to transform into very injury prone guys soon after making the move to the prem. I also think maybe Klopp's style of play and training requires robust players as opposed to other styles. It would be interesting to get the opinion of somebody in the sports medicine field on why a guy will be perfectly alright in a league/team, move to another one and suddenly double or triple his number of injuries.

It seems to happen both ways too. As far as I can remember Hazard was not the most robust player in the league but I also don't remember him as a player who missed a bunch of games. Since moving to Madrid they can't get him to play more than 2 or 3 games before he's out again.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #121: May 26, 2021 02:29:17 pm
      Funny enough, looking at Keita's transfermarkt injury record the guy had missed 12 games through injury in his 2 season spell at Leipzig. Not saying its a great injury record but its when the guy moved to us that he suddenly turned into one giant wine glass missing a bazillion games in comparison.

I don't know if the style of our league has something to do with it but some players seem to transform into very injury prone guys soon after making the move to the prem. I also think maybe Klopp's style of play and training requires robust players as opposed to other styles. It would be interesting to get the opinion of somebody in the sports medicine field on why a guy will be perfectly alright in a league/team, move to another one and suddenly double or triple his number of injuries.

It seems to happen both ways too. As far as I can remember Hazard was not the most robust player in the league but I also don't remember him as a player who missed a bunch of games. Since moving to Madrid they can't get him to play more than 2 or 3 games before he's out again.

and didn't Leipzig play a similar style to ours, anyway? like he was already "tested" in a high pressing system and had not shown any significant injury history (as you referenced) then comes here and literally gets hurt getting off the plane.

It will go down as one of the most disappointing transfers in a long time because he is such a good player who can do everything in midfield.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #122: May 26, 2021 02:32:18 pm
      From a technical point of view he's our second best CB. Unfortunately he cant play more than 3 games.

Isn't his deal up soon as well? I am a big Joel fan and agree that he is our 2nd best CB but he cannot be counted on to play a big role on the team. He needs to be 4th choice.

It wasn't always like this, either. He was always good for 20+ games, with as high as 29 in his first full season, then the wheels fell off in the 2019-20 season where he only had 9 apps.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #123: May 26, 2021 02:32:40 pm

I can’t really complain since he’s free. May be a good option to cash in and use the profit to offset our other costs.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #124: May 26, 2021 02:34:14 pm
      I can’t really complain since he’s free. May be a good option to cash in and use the profit to offset our other costs.

As much as i like Matip, i was of the opinion we should trigger Kabak's buy clause (18 milly) and sell Matip which would have greatly covered that amount, but Klopp does not seem to agree with me since Kabak is a goner and Matip is staying.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #125: May 26, 2021 05:50:39 pm
      As much as i like Matip, i was of the opinion we should trigger Kabak's buy clause (18 milly) and sell Matip which would have greatly covered that amount, but Klopp does not seem to agree with me since Kabak is a goner and Matip is staying.
      I would've been happy with us keeping Matip and signing both Kabak and Konate simply for the fact that Gomez and VVD's road back to regular football might be a bumpy one and will maybe require some rotating in that department for the first half of next season.

Of course this works out the same if Klopp considers Kabak not a good fit or that he simply wont get the playing time he requires to develop and he prefers to have Philips instead. I've got to say the lad (Philips) impressed me. Hopefully this means that the money we save on Kabak will be put towards other deals.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #126: May 26, 2021 06:31:23 pm

I’ve often wondered whether if you were to take away the astronomical wages and then transplanted the mentality of a Tommy Smith or an Emlyn Hughes into some of these players whether that might not make a difference.

It might sound cynical as obviously no player wants to be injured and some injuries are unavoidable, but equally there is a at least an element of personal responsibility in keeping yourself fit, strong and healthy, training to prevent injury, and being psychologically resilient enough to bounce back. Perhaps it is just all down to the increased speed and intensity of the game but I can’t help wonder how mentality fits in.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #127: May 26, 2021 07:55:35 pm
      Honestly, I can't say I've ever seen Konate play.  But, if Jürgen is happy to stump up double the fee for him than we would have spent on Kabak then that's pretty much all I need to know. 

Also, just my opinion but based on the way Rhys and Nat played the last 8 weeks I'm not disappointed to not be signing Kabak. 

If we are going to hang onto Matip -- who is a phenomenal player on the rare occassion he is fit -- then I think we will either be selling Nat or loaning out Rhys. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #128: May 27, 2021 06:41:48 pm
      Honestly, I can't say I've ever seen Konate play.  But, if Jürgen is happy to stump up double the fee for him than we would have spent on Kabak then that's pretty much all I need to know. 

Also, just my opinion but based on the way Rhys and Nat played the last 8 weeks I'm not disappointed to not be signing Kabak. 

If we are going to hang onto Matip -- who is a phenomenal player on the rare occassion he is fit -- then I think we will either be selling Nat or loaning out Rhys. 

Watched some youtube highlights of Konate the other day...holy sh*t man. He's Virgil part 2 if you go by those highlights. If he stays fit (why do we constantly have to say that?) they are going to be a formidable pairing.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #129: May 27, 2021 07:27:56 pm
      Hopefully 3rd time lucky when it comes to Red Bull signings.
      Wasn't overly impressed any time have seen him but he's an athelete and is young and Jürgen must rate him - so if it gets over the line, fingers crossed for him.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #130: May 28, 2021 08:13:21 am
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #131: May 28, 2021 09:20:45 am
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts | 38 
      Reply #132: May 28, 2021 10:00:11 am
      Could be a good buy but his injury record worries me somewhat. Time will tell I guess.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #133: May 28, 2021 10:23:42 am
      Interesting to see how he goes in the under 21 euros, if he starts
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #134: May 28, 2021 12:04:44 pm
      Could be a good buy but his injury record worries me somewhat. Time will tell I guess.

Me too

Leipzig have already seen the colour of our cheeks on the Keita deal if they shaft us again I'll want a tribunal
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #135: May 28, 2021 12:05:05 pm

Can you share the records with the rest if us?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #136: May 28, 2021 12:09:12 pm
      Me too

Leipzig have already seen the colour of our cheeks on the Keita deal if they shaft us again I'll want a tribunal

Keita"s injury liepzig wasn't an issue
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #137: May 28, 2021 12:21:33 pm
      Looks the part from the little I've seen of him on various clips.

Quick Reply