Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Mo Salah - Somewhere Else

Read 28160 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,256 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Mo Salah - Somewhere Else
      Reply #69: Jan 16, 2022 07:59:33 am
      Is Salah really that good or does he profit from Kloppā€˜s system? That is the key question here since Klopp has produced many players that looked world class under him but average in other teams. Last one was Coutinho. Also look for example at Shaq: he plainly sucks at Lyon, they want to get rid of him already, but under Klopp he did look at least decent.

JĆ¼rgen gets the best from his players, but Mo is a phenom, hed be the same at Bayern, PSG or Shamrock rovers
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #70: Jan 16, 2022 08:57:53 am
      Is Salah really that good or does he profit from Kloppā€˜s system? That is the key question here since Klopp has produced many players that looked world class under him but average in other teams. Last one was Coutinho. Also look for example at Shaq: he plainly sucks at Lyon, they want to get rid of him already, but under Klopp he did look at least decent.

Think thatā€™s stretching Shaqs stay here
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #71: Jan 16, 2022 09:31:37 am
      You donā€™t compare him to VVD. You compare him to other players in the world playing a similar position and being talked about as the best in the world. VVD is not the same player he was either (yet, hopefully heā€™s coming back to that). And by using him as the comparison it allows you to somehow paint Mo as the party at fault here. If this was Messi at 29 years old not one person would blink an eye at giving him 400 or so per week. So not sure why Mo is any different. Heā€™s on that level right now. Heā€™s the most dangerous attacker in the world. Pay the man.

You can compare him to VVD because itā€™s within the club - doesnā€™t matter what other clubs pay players we canā€™t judge against other clubs Financially

Messi is taking home Ā£600k , Barcelona pay high wages , same with City etc

We can only pay what we can within a structure - it is what is - VVD is on Ā£220k - the club arenā€™t imo going to even look at other clubs , itā€™s going to be imo around Ā£300-325k
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #72: Jan 16, 2022 09:39:30 am
      You can compare him to VVD because itā€™s within the club - doesnā€™t matter what other clubs pay players we canā€™t judge against other clubs Financially

Messi is taking home Ā£600k , Barcelona pay high wages , same with City etc

We can only pay what we can within a structure - it is what is - VVD is on Ā£220k - the club arenā€™t imo going to even look at other clubs , itā€™s going to be imo around Ā£300-325k

As much as I love Virgil, defenderā€™s historically donā€™t get the same money as forwards in the game
      Virgil is arguably one of the best in his position yes, but Mo is one of the best in the world in the game overall. What commercially Mo brings in would be way above what Virgil does too
      I imagine Virgil is happy what he gets, and couldnā€™t care what Mo gets, he would be more bothered if he wasnā€™t wearing the shirt next seasonā€¦ like I would too

Not paying him what he deserves and him leaving would be a massive failure and stink of the level of FSGs ultimate ambitions
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,871 posts | 414 
      Reply #73: Jan 16, 2022 09:44:32 am
      LIP just getting his ducks in a row in case Salah moves on.

It will take more than his constant and staunch defence of them in their thread to cool the considerable heat that will come on them if they allow our best player to walk away for nothing.

If the structure doesn't allow for keeping your best players at the club....

Change the structure.

It will cost them more to allow a player worth 100 million to walk away for nothing. They'd still need to buy a replacement and pay him what Mo is on now regardless.

Get the deal done or I'm afraid their name will be mud with reds from L4 to LA
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2022 09:52:54 am by __Tickle__ »
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,322 posts | 279 
      Reply #74: Jan 16, 2022 10:05:01 am
      There'll be outrage if Mo goes...easy pay him Ā£250000 a week for 4 yrs but give him Ā£10m signing on fee. Far cheaper than buying someone new.
      If we just decide to cash in there'll be murder. I'm convinced FSG just want CL football, trophies are just a welcome by-product, I've said it for years, since Kenny was sacked tbh.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #75: Jan 16, 2022 10:22:07 am
      There'll be outrage if Mo goes...easy pay him Ā£250000 a week for 4 yrs but give him Ā£10m signing on fee. Far cheaper than buying someone new.
      If we just decide to cash in there'll be murder. I'm convinced FSG just want CL football, trophies are just a welcome by-product, I've said it for years, since Kenny was sacked tbh.

He should stay, should be offered the going rate.

But there is still some logic if they do decide to sell and rebuild the front line.

Not what I would do but there is some merit in the thinking.

Still think he'll be signed up soon.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #76: Jan 16, 2022 10:46:47 am
      He should stay, should be offered the going rate.

But there is still some logic if they do decide to sell and rebuild the front line.

Not what I would do but there is some merit in the thinking.

Still think he'll be signed up soon.

Yeah all elite clubs sell the worlds current best player to start a rebuild

None of this, build around him nonsense, sell him to rebuild 😀
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #77: Jan 16, 2022 11:51:53 am
      Yeah all elite clubs sell the worlds current best player to start a rebuild

None of this, build around him nonsense, sell him to rebuild 😀

It's not amongst the realms of possibility with this lot, hence Salah saying he wants to stay is massive as he's literally throwing it on FSG.
      And we all know if they decided he's not worth it, they would ramp up the PR machine claiming it would be Salah wanting to leave.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #78: Jan 16, 2022 01:12:33 pm
      You donā€™t compare him to VVD.

Of course you do, their both world class players and also similar in age so be folly not to.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #79: Jan 16, 2022 02:58:28 pm
      Of course you do, their both world class players and also similar in age so be folly not to.

Not sure I agree - forwards have generally always been the highest paid players, much more than defenders.

The market is what it is, we need to decide if we are willing to participate in that market or operate within our own structure. But I fear if we choose to operate within our own structure then winning trophies is going to become even harder than it currently is.

You donā€™t sell the worlds best player to ā€˜rebuildā€™. What happens when we have another star who is making a huge contribution to us competing for trophies and is looking like one of the worlds top players and wants paying accordingly? We sell again? Thatā€™s what we were doing in the recent history, selling our best players and it didnā€™t serve us to win trophies then and it wonā€™t now.

If itā€™s true he wants 400k that isnā€™t unreasonable, Iā€™d say itā€™s below what heā€™s worth given the wages being paid in football at the moment.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #80: Jan 16, 2022 03:03:44 pm
      Not sure I agree - forwards have generally always been the highest paid players, much more than defenders.

If itā€™s true he wants 400k that isnā€™t unreasonable, Iā€™d say itā€™s below what heā€™s worth given the wages being paid in football at the moment.

In normal circumstances I would agree. However, because of his age that makes a big difference imo.

400k is unreasonable, heā€™s 29 not 20/25. If this is true I can see why FSG holding back on contract talks. Ā£350k is the absolute max.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #81: Jan 16, 2022 03:17:06 pm
      In normal circumstances I would agree. However, because of his age that makes a big difference imo.

400k is unreasonable, heā€™s 29 not 20/25. If this is true I can see why FSG holding back on contract talks. Ā£350k is the absolute max.

Ronaldo is on 510k a week

Ronaldo is 7 years older than Mo

Ronaldo right now, isnā€™t anywhere near Moā€™s level

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #82: Jan 16, 2022 03:33:36 pm

Itā€™s Liverpool not United. Canā€™t see FSG paying 400k a week. United have more revenue than your lot which means they can pay more wages ( not that I agree with it though )

Ronaldo arguably being best player in the world along with Messi for nearly 15 years. Salah been best player in world  for couple of monthsā€¦.. see the difference? Hence the wage difference
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #83: Jan 16, 2022 03:36:46 pm
      Itā€™s Liverpool not United. Canā€™t see FSG paying 400k a week. United have more revenue than your lot which means they can pay more wages ( not that I agree with it though )

Ronaldo arguably being best player in the world along with Messi for nearly 15 years. Salah been best player in world  for couple of monthsā€¦.. see the difference? Hence the wage difference

Not really, not on the example you used a few minutes agoā€¦ you know age and that

Right now he is right up there as one of the best in the world, if we want to keep him we need to pay his worth

Comparing him with Virg isnā€™t right as historically forwards, match winners earn more than defenders, no matter how good that defender is
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #84: Jan 16, 2022 03:46:29 pm
      Not really, not on the example you used a few minutes agoā€¦ you know age and that

Right now he is right up there as one of the best in the world, if we want to keep him we need to pay his worth

Comparing him with Virg isnā€™t right as historically forwards, match winners earn more than defenders, no matter how good that defender is
      Already explained ( as you know ) why you should compare VVD & Salah so not going there again.
      Iā€™ll bet you Liverpool donā€™t offer him more than Ā£350k a week if you want a friendly charity bet.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #85: Jan 16, 2022 03:49:38 pm
      Already explained ( as you know ) why you should compare VVD & Salah so not going there again.
      Iā€™ll bet you Liverpool donā€™t offer him more than Ā£350k a week if you want a friendly charity bet.

Keith, this is a debate, I donā€™t have to agree with you, thatā€™s what makes debates work
      Iā€™ve also explained why, wage wise you shouldnā€™t compare Salah and Virgil (but Iā€™m happy to debate it, as thatā€™s how they work)

I donā€™t think they will either, which will be their mistake if we lose him
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #86: Jan 16, 2022 03:59:50 pm

We can't be offering contracts to players based on what other clubs are giving big name footballers at the end of their careers after signing on a free.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #87: Jan 16, 2022 04:02:56 pm
      Keith, this is a debate, I donā€™t have to agree with you, thatā€™s what makes debates work
      Iā€™ve also explained why, wage wise you shouldnā€™t compare Salah and Virgil (but Iā€™m happy to debate it, as thatā€™s how they work)

I donā€™t think they will either, which will be their mistake if we lose him

No probs, as usual you and I agree to differ.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #88: Jan 16, 2022 04:47:43 pm
      As much as I love Virgil, defenderā€™s historically donā€™t get the same money as forwards in the game
      Virgil is arguably one of the best in his position yes, but Mo is one of the best in the world in the game overall. What commercially Mo brings in would be way above what Virgil does too
      I imagine Virgil is happy what he gets, and couldnā€™t care what Mo gets, he would be more bothered if he wasnā€™t wearing the shirt next seasonā€¦ like I would too

Not paying him what he deserves and him leaving would be a massive failure and stink of the level of FSGs ultimate ambitions

The key phrase that people keep posting is ā€œwhat he deservesā€ - itā€™s very much a subjective phrase that has no figure attached to it

He isnā€™t going to to get Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Mbappe wages at the club - itā€™s never going to happen and the club wonā€™t change a wage structure for one player

But he will be offered the highest the club can offer and also be one of the best paid in the league etc

I have no doubt that itā€™s pretty much sorted anyway
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #89: Jan 16, 2022 06:12:41 pm
      The key phrase that people keep posting is ā€œwhat he deservesā€ - itā€™s very much a subjective phrase that has no figure attached to it

He isnā€™t going to to get Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Mbappe wages at the club - itā€™s never going to happen and the club wonā€™t change a wage structure for one player

But he will be offered the highest the club can offer and also be one of the best paid in the league etc

I have no doubt that itā€™s pretty much sorted anyway

How much do you think he will get?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #90: Jan 16, 2022 06:22:02 pm
      Whatever Mo believes he deserves then thatā€™s what he deservesā€¦

If he wants Ā£500k then Iā€™m sure the number crunchers will see the money Mo will bring in via sponsors , image rights & most importantly match winning goals..etc etcā€¦.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #91: Jan 16, 2022 06:25:57 pm
      Whatever Mo believes he deserves then thatā€™s what he deservesā€¦

If he wants Ā£500k then Iā€™m sure the number crunchers will see the money Mo will bring in via sponsors , image rights & most importantly match winning goals..etc etcā€¦.

If it's a sensible figure then we will pay if it isn't then we won't.

He'll be made an offer easily the best player at the club and in line with his standing in the game but we won't pay the ludicrous figures that some other top players are on.

Quick Reply