Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (2.9%)
      Ozan Kabak
      25 (36.8%)
      Nat Phillips
      4 (5.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.5%)
       Fabinho
      5 (7.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Naby Keïta
      2 (2.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      16 (23.5%)
      Diogo Jota
      3 (4.4%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: Apr 10, 2021 09:52:58 pm

Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23750 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Apr 07, 2021 07:14:51 pm
      When do 'beer gardens' open again? ;)

You reckon the club might throw a few wooden table and benches outside the Kop pub!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #668: Apr 07, 2021 07:24:09 pm
      Interesting stat I've just heard, the last time a midfield three of Fab. Gini and Keita started a game together was Villa away.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #669: Apr 07, 2021 07:37:36 pm
      Yea it's a brainless opinion on that game. The way the whole team played we were always going to ship at least a couple of goals but to slate Kabak is just stupid the kid is 20 and was easily one of our better players.

Yup we definitely need Bobby for his pressing in the second leg. Jota Bobby Mo up top. Mane needs benching his form is woeful. At least Bobby's form improved in the last few weeks he should be starting over Mane.

I'd personally start all four of them. We need goals and any of them can produce something at any time. Drop Bobby a little deeper if need be and start Fab and Thiago. Team picks itself. We just need to go out and give it a Barcelona effort....fans or no fans, these guys are going to have to come up with something special.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #670: Apr 07, 2021 08:01:52 pm
      Apparently some of our players received racist abuse online after the game. I am totally appalled by this, whoever it is, we all have a moan at times about players who we think haven’t played well, but to racially abuse is not what this Club or City is about! Social media need to do something as it’s getting out of hand!
      I am sure the Club will support the players involved. Stand up to racism!

F**k social media platforms off. That’s one avenue of abuse taken away then ...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #671: Apr 07, 2021 08:09:43 pm
      Apparently some of our players received racist abuse online after the game. I am totally appalled by this, whoever it is, we all have a moan at times about players who we think haven’t played well, but to racially abuse is not what this Club or City is about! Social media need to do something as it’s getting out of hand!

Trent should of just replied offering them straighteners after training in Kirkby.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #672: Apr 07, 2021 08:24:13 pm

Makes you wonder why social media allow anonymous accounts.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #673: Apr 07, 2021 08:40:20 pm

BBC are saying it was before the game. So presumably some RM fans (they were Franco's club after all) rather than ours. Certainly hope so anyway.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #674: Apr 07, 2021 10:37:22 pm
      Didn’t realise you were american mate, explains things better. Naturally you probably won’t fully understand or see some parts of the game. Don’t mean to offend you and apologies if I have.

I don't wish to get involved in your discussion with CT here, but are you saying Americans can't naturally understand the game?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #675: Apr 07, 2021 10:40:06 pm
      Yea it's a brainless opinion on that game. The way the whole team played we were always going to ship at least a couple of goals but to slate Kabak is just stupid the kid is 20 and was easily one of our better players.

Yup we definitely need Bobby for his pressing in the second leg. Jota Bobby Mo up top. Mane needs benching his form is woeful. At least Bobby's form improved in the last few weeks he should be starting over Mane.

Kroos had all the time of the world in his own half and he used it to kill us. Everyone calling for Bobby to sit got what they wanted I guess.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #676: Apr 07, 2021 11:48:43 pm
      Kroos had all the time of the world in his own half and he used it to kill us. Everyone calling for Bobby to sit got what they wanted I guess.
      Perfectly agree with this. I know Jota has been on a nice run but before the game I thought for sure that Madrid's strongest department is without question their midfield and that Bobby would surely start in order to press Kroos and Modric in their own half as well as into our own half.

I know Klopp surely had an idea in mind but I can't wrap my head around two decisions. Keita starting and Bobby on the bench. Keita was knackered after 25 minutes and it made the decision to bench Bobby even worse since we effectively we now facing Kroos, Casemiro and Modric with Fabinho and Wijnaldum all while TAA and Bobby were still super high up the pitch which implies the Fab and Gini covering even more space on top of their duties in the middle of the park.

F**k it, its a sh*t season. What happens happens in the return leg.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #677: Apr 08, 2021 04:08:06 am
      Missed the game, one thing really surprise me from livescore stats shown there are total 55 throw ins in this game, 20 from RM and 33 from LFC ! almost every two minutes  :mad:
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #678: Apr 08, 2021 08:26:13 am
      So much hindsight backed up by no evidence or proof whatsoever he would of done this he would of done that. 
      Andyd
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #679: Apr 08, 2021 09:01:04 am
      Watch that back. The entire game.
      Then ask yourself ?

Can we play that bad again ?

Are we lucky to still be in the tie ?

2-0 required at Anfield that’s all
      Can we play that bad again? Isn't,t that the question we have been asking for best part of the season.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #680: Apr 08, 2021 09:17:52 am
      Unfortunately, Fortunately, which ever way you look at it, It's taken a top team like Real Madrid to expose us as to how a lot of our current team/squad needs overhauling come the summer.
      Forget the recent horror Premier league run we've had against the likes of Brighton and Burnley, this was a fixture against one of teams who are in amongst the cream of Europe, our patch FFS !!
      I watched that first half back again and the amount of times when we won the ball off RM we played some sh*te misplaced pass straight back to them was diabolical.

Personally, for the second leg, I'd drop Mane (6 goals this season is not good enough)
      Move Trent into midfield as I honestly believe that's where that lad belongs, he is NOT a full back.
      Wijnaldum needs to make his mind up whether he is staying or going, because from what I'm seeing he doesn't give a sh*t !! and what rubs salt in the wound is, he's wearing the club captains armband !!

We've always got Divock Origi in our locker don't forget.

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #681: Apr 08, 2021 09:35:19 am
      For the return leg I'd like to see Curtis,Thiago,Fabinho midfield ,Robbo as captain ( he does it for Scotland) . I don't see why we can't turn this around as we have nothing to lose .The players need to watch the game back with Jürgen and identify poor play .Im ever the optimist I know but 2-0 to us !
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #682: Apr 08, 2021 10:06:26 am
      It will take some doing to turn this tie around, next week. I would love to see a repeat performance of the Barcelona game and knock Real Madrid out ! Overall it is our wretched home form that worries me the most, it is just a pity there will not be a full crowd behind the players, for this second leg.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #683: Apr 08, 2021 11:51:19 am
      How about a change of system for this next few weeks.
      It’s clear we don’t have the personnel to play the high line and it’s clear opposition teams have worked out an effective way to play against us.

Allison in sticks.
      Three centre backs in Kabak, Davies, Phillips

The two attacking full backs basically wingers in TAA and Robertson

Fabinho sitting in front protecting the three behind.

And then Thiago and Jones ahead with salah and jota up top.

I know it’s all a bit Football Manager talk but we have been so bad for so long that we may as well try something.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #684: Apr 08, 2021 12:37:27 pm
      How about a change of system for this next few weeks.
      It’s clear we don’t have the personnel to play the high line and it’s clear opposition teams have worked out an effective way to play against us.

Allison in sticks.
      Three centre backs in Kabak, Davies, Phillips

The two attacking full backs basically wingers in TAA and Robertson

Fabinho sitting in front protecting the three behind.

And then Thiago and Jones ahead with salah and jota up top.

I know it’s all a bit Football Manager talk but we have been so bad for so long that we may as well try something.

So you're playing a player who never have played for us and you're putting him at our back three against Real ???

We need to improved drastically.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #685: Apr 08, 2021 03:14:34 pm
      Never
      Give
      Up
      Andyd
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #686: Apr 08, 2021 03:49:46 pm
      It will take some doing to turn this tie around, next week. I would love to see a repeat performance of the Barcelona game and knock Real Madrid out ! Overall it is our wretched home form that worries me the most, it is just a pity there will not be a full crowd behind the players, for this second leg.
      The reality is home advantage doesn't,t mean much when playing to empty seats. I am convinced we wouldn't, have had such a poor run at home had the stadium been full. We have heard it said many times the Kop is worth a goal start, this season proves it.
      Andyd
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #687: Apr 08, 2021 03:55:45 pm
      Unfortunately, Fortunately, which ever way you look at it, It's taken a top team like Real Madrid to expose us as to how a lot of our current team/squad needs overhauling come the summer.
      Forget the recent horror Premier league run we've had against the likes of Brighton and Burnley, this was a fixture against one of teams who are in amongst the cream of Europe, our patch FFS !!
      I watched that first half back again and the amount of times when we won the ball off RM we played some sh*te misplaced pass straight back to them was diabolical.

Personally, for the second leg, I'd drop Mane (6 goals this season is not good enough)
      Move Trent into midfield as I honestly believe that's where that lad belongs, he is NOT a full back.
      Wijnaldum needs to make his mind up whether he is staying or going, because from what I'm seeing he doesn't give a sh*t !! and what rubs salt in the wound is, he's wearing the club captains armband !!

We've always got Divock Origi in our locker don't forget.
      To play Trent in midfield we would have to change our system, our coaching staff don,t seem to know any other.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #688: Apr 08, 2021 03:59:06 pm
      I'd like to point out that despite Philips being out of his depth (at least in my opinion), the TAA mistake on that second goal and the questions some of us might have over the starting lineup the main problem was not there at all. As far as I am concerned we simply did not produce enough of a quality display to even bother this very beatable Madrid side.

The pressing in particular was appalling. In the fisrt half, our midfield apart from Fabinho, was disgusting. Keita let TAA cover that whole right flank by himself all half long. I even Salah dropping very deep to try and help TAA but no sight of Keita. I understand you didn't play in a while but I wonder how come you're knackered 20 minutes in? Same for Gini who looked lazy a lot of the time. He was sent to the right side in the second half and did a better job than Keita at covering TAA but it was still a bad job by his standards.

Just the overall energy levels are not what you'd expect from a team who had 2 weeks off and a season to save. We're not playing tiki taka football, unless everybody puts in fifth gear then we're going to lose more than we're going to win.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #689: Apr 08, 2021 04:09:35 pm
      So you're playing a player who never have played for us and you're putting him at our back three against Real ???

We need to improved drastically.

Ok swap him out for Rhys then, but its a good idea in principle, we need to change something against the good teams, playing a high line is suicide.

Quick Reply