Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (2.9%)
      Ozan Kabak
      25 (36.8%)
      Nat Phillips
      4 (5.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.5%)
       Fabinho
      5 (7.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Naby Keïta
      2 (2.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      16 (23.5%)
      Diogo Jota
      3 (4.4%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: Apr 10, 2021 09:52:58 pm

Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24228 times
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,523 posts | 388 
      Re: Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Apr 06, 2021 10:23:31 pm
      just seen this on twitter and it definitely fits my thinking...... some of our players look absolutely exhausted.

Over the last three seasons five players have played a staggering amount of games: Salah 142, Mane 138, Wijnaldum 135, Trent 132, Robertson 137.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #553: Apr 06, 2021 10:23:39 pm
      Don't play Gini then.

My ideal 3 is Fab, Thiago and Naby.

Maybe the Naby we thought we'd bought, not sure about the one we have now though
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #554: Apr 06, 2021 10:23:45 pm
      There's hope but no fans in the ground hardly makes being at home an advantage. Our home form suggests Real can start planning for Chelsea/Porto.

City got this year in the bag... surely.

Come on,Real have Barca at the weekend so who knows,on our day we can destroy these at Anfield,Real didn't have to be that good tonight as we were piss poor all over the pitch,playing stupid corners up in the air for there tall goalkeeper to catch and counter.If Jürgen gets the tactics and selection right and we get an early goal it's game on.We are over due a big Anfield performance as we haven't had one this year.COYR.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #555: Apr 06, 2021 10:23:55 pm
      Keita did f**k all wrong for me, Gini was the issue in the first half in midfield not Naby. But credit to Gini he turned it around but then again maybe Naby could have played better with Thiago by his side.

Naby thrown under the bus slightly in the fact as you say there is no way he was any worse than the others especially Gini who was woeful
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #556: Apr 06, 2021 10:24:12 pm
      Hands down our best player. Made multiple top-level defensive plays and at 18M he looks like a bargain.
      Saved our bacon loads of times (thanks Trent!) and with a bit more experience, and he did well tonight, he'll be a good buy.  Even if he's 3rd choice behind VDD and Gomez. 
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,523 posts | 388 
      Reply #557: Apr 06, 2021 10:24:55 pm
      Keita did f**k all wrong for me, Gini was the issue in the first half in midfield not Naby. But credit to Gini he turned it around but then again maybe Naby could have played better with Thiago by his side.

im not saying he did anything wrong. but its humiliating. hes barely played for us, then that happens in a huge game.i didnt think Gini turned it around, i thought he was garbage, then again they all were.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #558: Apr 06, 2021 10:25:04 pm
      What's the point on focusing on re-qualifying for a competition if you're not going to focus on it anyway when you're in it?

We're massive underdogs next week yes but crazier things have happened in football.

Because we should have our best defenders back and maybe a few high quality reinforcements.

The main difference tonight was they were technically on a different level to us, tactically spot on, barely gave the ball away, their octogenarian’s in midfield barely broke sweat cf to us.................!

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #559: Apr 06, 2021 10:25:28 pm
      sh*te. Embarrassed with that gutless performance tonight. We sh*t ourselves.

I’ll start with the line up. I’ve been saying for several weeks on here that the partnership of kabak and Phillips was always going to be exposed against top opposition. It was just a matter of time. We played arsenal off the pitch a few days ago but neither of them were tested in any way, just like they weren’t against wolves either. Those two clean sheets have gone against us tonight because it made klopp persist with them but this match was far too big for both.

I also couldn’t believe keita started. I’m a big fan of naby but he’s barely played all season so why throw him in for our biggest match of the season? He was bound to be rusty and off the pace and it showed. Thiago has his critics (never understood why personally) but if you want him to play one game this season then it was F***ing tonight where we need to keep the ball.

So the game starts and we just look like amateurs. We were scared. We couldn’t put three passes together. Although Madrid were confident and playing well, we made it far too easy for them.

We go in at half time 2-0 down and both goals were just a joke. Had Fabinho played in the back four then I’m convinced we don’t concede either of those. The first one was just a simple ball played down the middle where Phillips was all over the place (Fabinho would have dealt with that) and the second was a complete mess by Trent who was in two minds what to do - had fabinho been next to him then I think he would have gave him a shout to get rid or even recovered the mess he made.

Although kabak wasn’t directly involved for either goal (could argue his positioning was poor for their first goal), he too was all over the place and looked out of his depth. He made a couple of recoveries to be fair to him which I’ve seen him do a few times this season, but it’s usually his fault for why he has to make a recovery in the bloody first place. He reminds me of an even shi**er version of Dejan lovren.

I know we’re stuck with these two for now but if anybody thinks they can do a job or wants to see them paired against a top team ever again then they’re F***ing deluded. They got exposed massively tonight.

They weren’t the only two who were awful tonight. Gini in the first half was shockingly poor and keita was even worse. I hope that decision to sub him was tactical because I’d have dragged him off the pitch 20minutes earlier! As stated though he should never have even started. Front three weren't in the game at all either.

Second half starts and we come out with some intent and look a different team. Gini improved massively and I thought Thiago made a difference too, we were a lot better on the ball. The front three started to involve themselves and we got a well deserved goal back.

I thought we would push on from there but we just went back into our shell and conceded another proper soft goal. Kabak was slow getting out to Modric and Phillips wasn’t tight to his man who then bagged. Again, if Fabinho was in the back four then we don’t concede there.

We started to look a bit better towards the end but no player grabbed the game by the scruff and nobody wanted to take responsibility to get us back into it. All just passing sideways shitting themselves basically. Mane in particular was F***ing awful and it’s like he’s wearing a pair of steel toe caps instead of footy boots.

Only positives we can take from tonight are we got an away goal so the full time result is a better one than the half time one. And, it could have been a lot worse. I think Madrid could have won that game by 3, 4 or 5 and we’d have no real complaints.

We can turn 3-1 around but it’s an absolute must that Fabinho plays in the back four next week. If we go with kabak and Phillips then I’ll bet my house on it that Madrid score and the tie will be over.

Very poor night for us this.

FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #560: Apr 06, 2021 10:25:41 pm
      This
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #561: Apr 06, 2021 10:27:42 pm
      im not saying he did anything wrong. but its humiliating. hes barely played for us, then that happens in a huge game.i didnt think Gini turned it around, i thought he was garbage, then again they all were.

Oh I know you weren't saying it, just venting my frustration.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #562: Apr 06, 2021 10:27:56 pm
      I didn't see Barcelona not scoring at Anfield either. 

Unlikely we will beat them 2-0 but unlikely isn't impossible either.  Two daft mistakes from long balls and a pretty weak save by Alisson led to their goals tonight.  You could put all three of them down as individual errors.

Our entire team that night is either injured or way way off the form of that time

We can win it, unlikely itll be Madrid 0 in the score  but well see...

.and I really dont see us winning if were setting out same again tactically, theyll pack midfield and hit on breaks. If we dont play a team that can break through that packed midfield whilst also not gettig done on the break We could lose the home tie to
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #563: Apr 06, 2021 10:29:09 pm
      Can’t wait for next week when we beat this lot at Anfield...

Mane needs to be spoken with & Trent needs words too... far too emotional...

I think we had the final in our minds and a bit of revenge but that took our focus away...

Nah mate sorry don’t buy into the revenge narrative. The intensity, attitude and desire out there certainly didn’t reflect the revenge approach. It was totally opposite it’s hard to not feed into the conspiracies that something is very off behind the scenes with performances like that - this game and every other in the CL should have been approached like a final lifeline tonight it was anything but.

Watching their players celebrate their goals on all 3 occasions there was a lot of passion and badge kissing . Fair fucks from the Spanish lad but Vinicius is a kid from Brazil, got me thinking when was the last time any of our lot celebrated in that way? We looked like 11 individuals out there each playing for themselves.

F**k it all off!
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #564: Apr 06, 2021 10:29:36 pm
      Holy sh*t just read 10 defeats in 2021 from the reds so far.
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #565: Apr 06, 2021 10:30:24 pm
      How many times did [and do] midfielders stop, and pass back.
      Don't understand why we keep doing this, slowing attacks down, when that is exactly the opposite of what we SHOULD be doing.
      At least Keita runs at defences and causes them problems.  But I get so frustrated, particularly recently, that we're just happy to bounce the ball aroud on the halfway line - you see forwards making runs but no, it just goes back all the time - even 1-0 down with 3 or 4 minutes to play.  Just cross ffs!
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #566: Apr 06, 2021 10:32:15 pm
      Sh*te. Embarrassed with that gutless performance tonight. We sh*t ourselves.

I’ll start with the line up. I’ve been saying for several weeks on here that the partnership of kabak and Phillips was always going to be exposed against top opposition. It was just a matter of time. We played arsenal off the pitch a few days ago but neither of them were tested in any way, just like they weren’t against wolves either. Those two clean sheets have gone against us tonight because it made klopp persist with them but this match was far too big for both.

I also couldn’t believe keita started. I’m a big fan of naby but he’s barely played all season so why throw him in for our biggest match of the season? He was bound to be rusty and off the pace and it showed. Thiago has his critics (never understood why personally) but if you want him to play one game this season then it was f**king tonight where we need to keep the ball.

So the game starts and we just look like amateurs. We were scared. We couldn’t put three passes together. Although Madrid were confident and playing well, we made it far too easy for them.

We go in at half time 2-0 down and both goals were just a joke. Had Fabinho played in the back four then I’m convinced we don’t concede either of those. The first one was just a simple ball played down the middle where Phillips was all over the place (Fabinho would have dealt with that) and the second was a complete mess by Trent who was in two minds what to do - had fabinho been next to him then I think he would have gave him a shout to get rid or even recovered the mess he made.

Although kabak wasn’t directly involved for either goal (could argue his positioning was poor for their first goal), he too was all over the place and looked out of his depth. He made a couple of recoveries to be fair to him which I’ve seen him do a few times this season, but it’s usually his fault for why he has to make a recovery in the bloody first place. He reminds me of an even shi**er version of Dejan lovren.

I know we’re stuck with these two for now but if anybody thinks they can do a job or wants to see them paired against a top team ever again then they’re f**king deluded. They got exposed massively tonight.

They weren’t the only two who were awful tonight. Gini in the first half was shockingly poor and keita was even worse. I hope that decision to sub him was tactical because I’d have dragged him off the pitch 20minutes earlier! As stated though he should never have even started. Front three weren't in the game at all either.

Second half starts and we come out with some intent and look a different team. Gini improved massively and I thought Thiago made a difference too, we were a lot better on the ball. The front three started to involve themselves and we got a well deserved goal back.

I thought we would push on from there but we just went back into our shell and conceded another proper soft goal. Kabak was slow getting out to Modric and Phillips wasn’t tight to his man who then bagged. Again, if Fabinho was in the back four then we don’t concede there.

We started to look a bit better towards the end but no player grabbed the game by the scruff and nobody wanted to take responsibility to get us back into it. All just passing sideways shitting themselves basically. Mane in particular was f**king awful and it’s like he’s wearing a pair of steel toe caps instead of footy boots.

Only positives we can take from tonight are we got an away goal so the full time result is a better one than the half time one. And, it could have been a lot worse. I think Madrid could have won that game by 3, 4 or 5 and we’d have no real complaints.

We can turn 3-1 around but it’s an absolute must that Fabinho plays in the back four next week. If we go with kabak and Phillips then I’ll bet my house on it that Madrid score and the tie will be over.

Kabak had F**k all to do with Modric that was all down to Fabinho
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #567: Apr 06, 2021 10:32:57 pm
      FFS has anyone seen Dortmund's goal that was chalked off,what a joke,nothing wrong with that.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,523 posts | 388 
      Reply #568: Apr 06, 2021 10:33:56 pm
      FFS has anyone seen Dortmund's goal that was chalked off,what a joke,nothing wrong with that.

absolutely laughable. genuinely one of the worst ive ever seen. side point - not sure what was worse tonight, the referee or Liverpool.....
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #569: Apr 06, 2021 10:34:28 pm

Watching highlights,  ref is absolutely laughable
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #570: Apr 06, 2021 10:36:49 pm
      Kabak had f**k all to do with Modric that was all down to Fabinho

Not a peep for ages when kabak has played really well and pops out from the woodwork just to slaughter him.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 516 
      Reply #571: Apr 06, 2021 10:38:16 pm

I also couldn’t believe keita started. I’m a big fan of naby but he’s barely played all season so why throw him in for our biggest match of the season? He was bound to be rusty and off the pace and it showed. Thiago has his critics (never understood why personally) but if you want him to play one game this season then it was f**king tonight where we need to keep the ball.

I know we’re stuck with these two for now but if anybody thinks they can do a job or wants to see them paired against a top team ever again then they’re f**king deluded. They got exposed massively tonight.

We started to look a bit better towards the end but no player grabbed the game by the scruff and nobody wanted to take responsibility to get us back into it. All just passing sideways shitting themselves basically. Mane in particular was f**king awful and it’s like he’s wearing a pair of steel toe caps instead of footy boots.

Agree with most of that, although I thought we were better in the 2nd half than you, and most, are giving us credit for. We were keeping the ball and being patient. It's easy to say we shoudl have gone gung ho, but in reality we would probably have conceded more if we had. if we'd played possession football in the first half as well, we wouldnt have been 2 down.

Also don't see how you can say we wouldn't have conceded the3rd if Fab had been in the back 4. It was Fab who let Modric walk past him to then have the freedom of the box to set up Vinicius. His defending was the worst of the lot for the 3rd goal.
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #572: Apr 06, 2021 10:46:37 pm

Great post.  I think you're being harsh on Kabak but, yes, Phillips was poor.  But bringing Fabinho back into defence doesn't work either.  Then again, there wasn't any service to the forwards tonight, so why not?  I don't like Keita but I thought pulling him off was harsh - Gini had a terrible game. 

I don't agree about Mané either, but it's true there's no leader out there - no cohesion.  I think Klopp picked a team to go out and win the tie tonight and it didn't happen - confidence is shot, which is why he should have played Shaq.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #573: Apr 06, 2021 10:49:05 pm

That's a lot of bullshit in a single post.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #574: Apr 06, 2021 10:51:46 pm
      That's a lot of bullshit in a single post.

Harsh

Would not agree with some of it but certainly would call it bullshit

Quick Reply