Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (2.9%)
      Ozan Kabak
      25 (36.8%)
      Nat Phillips
      4 (5.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.5%)
       Fabinho
      5 (7.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Naby Keïta
      2 (2.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      16 (23.5%)
      Diogo Jota
      3 (4.4%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: Apr 10, 2021 09:52:58 pm

Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23804 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Apr 07, 2021 07:40:26 am
      If we were going back to a full Anfield to play this tie then absolutely would think we had a chance.

But no fans, our form in 2021, doesn’t leave much hope. Stranger things have happened but being realistic it’s a long shot now.
      Andyd
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #599: Apr 07, 2021 07:47:02 am
      So we just have to win 2-0 at Anfield?

Not ideal but it’s a one off game now. We have just as good a chance at going through as we do losing.

Some of you should remember that it’s not over and at least wait to make asses out of yourselves if we end up losing the tie. If that happens, then feel free to spout all of your nonsense. Otherwise good lord some of you need to get a grip and get over yourselves.
      Well our Anfield form is not great, we almost certainly won,t keep a clean sheet. Apart from Salah our from line are out of sorts.Love your optimism.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8458 
      Reply #600: Apr 07, 2021 08:17:24 am
      Fabinho to babysit Phillips, who despite tonight’s performance, is a much better player than kabak.

Then watch the midfield fall to bits all over again like January/February.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #601: Apr 07, 2021 09:03:57 am
      I think the reaction is way over the top for our centre backs

Were they good? No

Were they poor? No, a poor performance is making mistakes they should be making

These two are average, championship level centre backs is what I would say or lower tier premier league

Not sure why anyone is surprised they don’t drop off or position correctly because it is their limitation!

Our three very good centre backs are out injured and we are using the reserve ones not good enough to get in top teams.

Please remember that before having a go at them, they are playing at their best, I saw a piece by Carra highlighting the positioning errors they were making but we were getting away with it, it was small errors noticeable to a top cb but not most of us. Tonight they just got exposed for what they are, average players trying their best against a very good offensive team

The real fury should be with out midfield and full backs which is why klopp mentioned it. They are abysmal especially the guy running down his contract and being reward with being captain for doing it! He broke down so many attacks and just got in the way

Klopp did make an error, the focus should have been to keep the ball as much as we can, play Thiago as he was our best midfield player when he came on? Why was he the best by far because he lost the ball far less! Everyone else couldn’t keep it

Bobby should have started and he should have played closer to the midfield keeping it a 4 and winning the battle vs their 3

I can’t even talk about Trent, it was that bad as was Robbo and mane

Our worst players on the pitch were not the cb, it was our full backs, it was mane and the captain running down his contract!

This all has come back to bite us had we just planned properly at the start of the season, imagine a world class team trying to win trophies going into a season with three proper cb with one being a crock when normally teams go with 4

Yup we did that and have paid the price for being cheap and poor planning by the whole club

My point of this is to look at experienced guys and not the cb, they are playing at their level, it’s the others who let us down by making it far more difficult for them by not keeping the ball

We had such a good chance of smothering their mid but instead made it easy
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #602: Apr 07, 2021 09:04:03 am
      Then watch the midfield fall to bits all over again like January/February.

We still dominated those games but we couldn’t score, that was the issue.

Wherever Fabinho plays, we are going to miss him in the other area. Against shi**er teams I’d have him in midfield and go with kabak and Phillips at the back. But against top teams like Madrid I think it’s too much of a gamble.

Klopp gambled last night and we were lucky with only three going in.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #603: Apr 07, 2021 09:23:23 am
      I think the reaction is way over the top for our centre backs

Were they good? No

Were they poor? No, a poor performance is making mistakes they should be making

These two are average, championship level centre backs is what I would say or lower tier premier league

Not sure why anyone is surprised they don’t drop off or position correctly because it is their limitation!

Our three very good centre backs are out injured and we are using the reserve ones not good enough to get in top teams.

Please remember that before having a go at them, they are playing at their best, I saw a piece by Carra highlighting the positioning errors they were making but we were getting away with it, it was small errors noticeable to a top cb but not most of us. Tonight they just got exposed for what they are, average players trying their best against a very good offensive team

The real fury should be with out midfield and full backs which is why klopp mentioned it. They are abysmal especially the guy running down his contract and being reward with being captain for doing it! He broke down so many attacks and just got in the way

Klopp did make an error, the focus should have been to keep the ball as much as we can, play Thiago as he was our best midfield player when he came on? Why was he the best by far because he lost the ball far less! Everyone else couldn’t keep it

Bobby should have started and he should have played closer to the midfield keeping it a 4 and winning the battle vs their 3

I can’t even talk about Trent, it was that bad as was Robbo and mane

Our worst players on the pitch were not the cb, it was our full backs, it was mane and the captain running down his contract!

This all has come back to bite us had we just planned properly at the start of the season, imagine a world class team trying to win trophies going into a season with three proper cb with one being a crock when normally teams go with 4

Yup we did that and have paid the price for being cheap and poor planning by the whole club

My point of this is to look at experienced guys and not the cb, they are playing at their level, it’s the others who let us down by making it far more difficult for them by not keeping the ball

We had such a good chance of smothering their mid but instead made it easy

Nobody has said anything  different. We all know the situation.

But the argument is whether klopp should have played the two of them together in such a big game. I think he made a big mistake which has now bit us on the arse, and others don’t. There’s no point talking about going into the season with three cbs, what’s done is done, and we have to talk about what’s happening right now.

I haven’t seen that piece from carragher (was it after last nights game?) but it doesn’t surprise me. Anybody with half a football brain can see how bad they are positioning wise and I’ve written a big post about it myself in here. You can always tell if people have played football or not when they give their take on the game. I’m not saying they’re not knowledgeable people, but there’s just certain things they won’t see or understand that others would.

Disagree on bobby too. He has been awful for us for well over a year but more like 18-24 months. The bobby of old would have been perfect for last nights game but he hasn’t produced that level of performance for a long time. There was no way klopp could leave out Jota either. So it was a toss of the coin between mane and bobby and he went with mane. Right decision in my opinion and that’s what I’d have gone with too. It’s only in hindsight we can say it wasn’t the right decision because mane was that bad.

You’re blasting the full backs who I accept have been sh*te, but have you not noticed a change in their game? Neither of them can be as attacking as usual because they clearly don’t trust their cbs. They are probably under instructions from klopp in that sense too.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #604: Apr 07, 2021 09:28:10 am
      I don't think Kabak was poor. He did ok for me. Philips on the other side was terrible.

Wijnaldum as always did almost nothing although he was important for our goal. Other than that, he shows no leadership, no creativity. I won't be sad when he leaves. A very gifted player but it's not enough. Show some guts,  you're playing in midfield for Liverpool in the CL!

Mane should be benched, Robertson too. This wing does nothing good anymore. And it has been the case for weeks now. We have Tsamikas and Shaqiri would do a better job than Mane.

Thiago worries me. No influence on the game and his tackling is poor and dangerous.

I wanted Jota to start but maybe having Firmino in this team could have helped us to better retain the ball. The passing in midfield was just awful.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #605: Apr 07, 2021 09:35:46 am
      Watch that back. The entire game.
      Then ask yourself ?

Can we play that bad again ?

Are we lucky to still be in the tie ?

2-0 required at Anfield that’s all
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #606: Apr 07, 2021 09:37:55 am
      Goals required, it’s not impossible as we have been there & done it before, it’ll help
      Playing on a proper pitch tan a small trading ground..

Do them Like we done Barca...
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #607: Apr 07, 2021 09:44:18 am
      Goals required, it’s not impossible as we have been there & done it before, it’ll help
      Playing on a proper pitch tan a small trading ground..

Do them Like we done Barca...

No fans or Virgil this time around. Half of the team is blowing hot and cold. So, I think it would be fairly difficult to get that. But I'm more than willing to be surprised.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #608: Apr 07, 2021 09:46:18 am
      No fans or Virgil this time around. Half of the team is blowing hot and cold. So, I think it would be fairly difficult to get that. But I'm more than willing to be surprised.

We scored 4 against Barca without Salah & Bobby...

We got this... Madrid know it..
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #609: Apr 07, 2021 09:48:38 am
      Nobody has said anything  different. We all know the situation.

But the argument is whether klopp should have played the two of them together in such a big game. I think he made a big mistake which has now bit us on the arse, and others don’t. There’s no point talking about going into the season with three cbs, what’s done is done, and we have to talk about what’s happening right now.

I haven’t seen that piece from carragher (was it after last nights game?) but it doesn’t surprise me. Anybody with half a football brain can see how bad they are positioning wise and I’ve written a big post about it myself in here. You can always tell if people have played football or not when they give their take on the game. I’m not saying they’re not knowledgeable people, but there’s just certain things they won’t see or understand that others would.

Disagree on bobby too. He has been awful for us for well over a year but more like 18-24 months. The bobby of old would have been perfect for last nights game but he hasn’t produced that level of performance for a long time. There was no way klopp could leave out Jota either. So it was a toss of the coin between mane and bobby and he went with mane. Right decision in my opinion and that’s what I’d have gone with too. It’s only in hindsight we can say it wasn’t the right decision because mane was that bad.

You’re blasting the full backs who I accept have been sh*te, but have you not noticed a change in their game? Neither of them can be as attacking as usual because they clearly don’t trust their cbs. They are probably under instructions from klopp in that sense too.

My only Criticism of the full backs was their retention of the ball, the experienced players let us down badly with it. I agree about the attacking but their is no excuse for their lack of focus yesterday. They panicked under the pressure and started making errors they should not be making

I agree Bobby has been poor but I do feel having energy and ball retention was key yesterday and we set up in a way that did not help with that imo

Carra mentioned it 2-3 weeks ago, I remember thinking it and was like he was spot on

I am just so disappointed in Gini, Trent and mane. I can’t believe what I saw them do yesterday.

I am also shocked at gini being made captain again, I am sorry but he is running down his contract and we reward him with being captain! Give it to a loyal player
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #610: Apr 07, 2021 09:52:48 am
      For me I think the CB,s are getting too much stick. I was raging more at the midfield and how much respect we were giving them. The pressing was poor. Kroos was given all the time in the world to make that pass and Vinicious jr first touch and finish was superb. 2nd goal was Trent and I thought 3rd goal was Trent too just letting his man run past him. The whole team was poor on the night but for me the midfield didnt show enough off the ball and on it they couldnt keep it. 2nd half was much better. Can still do this at Anfield, Come on Reds.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #611: Apr 07, 2021 10:02:08 am
      The false economy of not replacing VVD has cost LFC the Prem. and now very possibly our CL aspirations!
      False economies appear to be owners forte.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #612: Apr 07, 2021 10:03:39 am
      My only Criticism of the full backs was their retention of the ball, the experienced players let us down badly with it. I agree about the attacking but their is no excuse for their lack of focus yesterday. They panicked under the pressure and started making errors they should not be making

I agree Bobby has been poor but I do feel having energy and ball retention was key yesterday and we set up in a way that did not help with that imo

Carra mentioned it 2-3 weeks ago, I remember thinking it and was like he was spot on

I am just so disappointed in Gini, Trent and mane. I can’t believe what I saw them do yesterday.

I am also shocked at gini being made captain again, I am sorry but he is running down his contract and we reward him with being captain! Give it to a loyal player

I agree. I don’t think one player comes away from last nights game with any praise to be honest.

I do think playing with two makeshift centre halves has had an impact on both Trent and Robbo though, which is natural.

I can’t remember the last time bobby played well for us and the things we used to love about him such as his work rate, regaining possession and his link up play Ive not seen for a very long time. I don’t think it would have made any difference if he played yesterday but we’ll never know.

It was madness starting keita over Thiago though. Such a bizarre decision that.

Agree on gini. I thought he did better in the second half but he was that sh*te in the first half it was impossible not to!

Worried about mane now too. He has been sh*te all season and it seems he’s lost a yard of pace. He’s no slug but he’s no longer lightning fast either. Once his pace has gone then that’s him finished because he’s never been a technical player. He relies massively on his speed.
      Brown1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #613: Apr 07, 2021 10:07:46 am
      It was a total shambles, once again the nutcase manager got it wrong in his team selection of Keita instead of Thiago who was only introduced after the damage was done, by playing the negative tactic of holding a high line it has destroyed the team throughout this shitty season. The nutcase needs to walk! If he stays in charge for the next season, he will destroy LFC totally. This outing in the UCL might the last for LFC, I don't expect the club to qualify for seasons to come.
      There were a lot of shitty performances by many players last night, starting with Gini, Kabak, Trent, useless keeper who was at fault for the third goal, even Salah who was lucky to pounce on a rebound of Jota's shot, otherwise, he was a total sh*t.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #614: Apr 07, 2021 10:09:09 am
      Let’s play the return leg at Kirkby.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #615: Apr 07, 2021 10:17:27 am
      Not a peep for ages when kabak has played really well and pops out from the woodwork just to slaughter him.

I said to CT after the Leipzig game when he was praising Kabak and Philips that we would see how good they are when we play against quality and both were very poor last night,TBF to Kabak he saved us a few times in the second half but overall he was poor,as for Philips he reminded me of Skrtel  at his worst completely out of his depth and i was surprised we took Kabak off instead of Philips,also how Mane stayed on for 90 minutes beggars belief,i don't think he will be starting on Saturday.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #616: Apr 07, 2021 10:21:19 am
      It was a total shambles, once again the nutcase manager got it wrong in his team selection of Keita instead of Thiago who was only introduced after the damage was done, by playing the negative tactic of holding a high line it has destroyed the team throughout this shitty season. The nutcase needs to walk! If he stays in charge for the next season, he will destroy LFC totally. This outing in the UCL might the last for LFC, I don't expect the club to qualify for seasons to come.
      There were a lot of shitty performances by many players last night, starting with Gini, Kabak, Trent, useless keeper who was at fault for the third goal, even Salah who was lucky to pounce on a rebound of Jota's shot, otherwise, he was a total sh*t.

WTF,nutcase manager?have some respect for the manager that delivered the PL after a 30 years wait and we have played some of the best football i've ever seen,shameful.The players for most of this season have been shocking,is it Jurgens fault that they couldn't pass to a red shirt last night or forgot how to play football.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #617: Apr 07, 2021 10:21:45 am

Who is this bellend?

weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #618: Apr 07, 2021 10:22:33 am
      The false economy of not replacing VVD has cost LFC the Prem. and now very possibly our CL aspirations!
      False economies appear to be owners forte.

FSG lover CT will reply very soon.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #619: Apr 07, 2021 10:27:46 am

Brown turd boy still hanging around the forum like a bad smell.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #620: Apr 07, 2021 10:29:56 am
      We scored 4 against Barca without Salah & Bobby...

We got this... Madrid know it..

I agree,we need Bobby starting and hopefully Hendo can play some part,we were shocking last night and made them look better than they are,if we can play our pressing game and the players take there fingers out of their arses and start playing football again we can batter these,they have Barca at the weekend and will have to play a high tempo game which will take a lot out of them,we have Villa who are struggling without Jack so we need to score a couple of early goals then take off certain players to rest them for Wednesday.

Quick Reply